PDA

View Full Version : The Graphites Are Here

MCRU
11-06-2012, 08:03
Just received a nice set of Tellurium Q Graphite Speaker cables, I needed to hear them to evaluate what all the fuss is about. The construction is on an epic scale, never had anything cable wise this heavy before. Reporting soon.

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/themainsman/ALL%20MCRU%20POWER%20LEADS/a17a84ad.jpg

Russell Turner
11-06-2012, 08:44
You could tow vehicles with those Dave!

Stick um in the boot of your car just in case...

;-)

MartinT
11-06-2012, 09:17
Not quite as epic as my old Kimbers, but pretty butch.

I note that these don't have the favoured 4mm z-plugs but something else. Is that because of their heft?

Russell Turner
11-06-2012, 09:29
Wonder if any one has had the balls to have a look at what the cross sectional area of the cable looks like inside and if there are any pictures knocking around of what the cables look like from a construction perspective (like someone did with the Belkin speaker cables)... I would be intrigued as I am sure others would be...

Marco
11-06-2012, 12:03
I note that these don't have the favoured 4mm z-plugs but something else.

The plugs look fairly uninspiring to me, a little like what TQ are using on their interconnects...

What I don't get is why a company who spends so much time concentrating on producing very high quality cable, terminates it with mediocre plugs? :scratch:

A genuinely high-end speaker cable should have nothing less than Furutech, WBT or Eichmann banana plugs fitted on it.

Marco.

MCRU
11-06-2012, 16:13
Not quite as epic as my old Kimbers, but pretty butch.

I note that these don't have the favoured 4mm z-plugs but something else. Is that because of their heft?

Think so, no way a z-plug would take all that wire.

MCRU
11-06-2012, 16:18
Wonder if any one has had the balls to have a look at what the cross sectional area of the cable looks like inside and if there are any pictures knocking around of what the cables look like from a construction perspective (like someone did with the Belkin speaker cables)... I would be intrigued as I am sure others would be...

The reason no data is given about construction is partly because too many people spend too much time conjugating and deliberating over technical aspects of cables when all they need to do is plug them in, the proof of the pudding is in the hearing!

Why would anyone want to spend £1000's on cables and then take them apart Russell? A 5 metre set as an example costs £4620.00! Who cares what they are made of and how thick the wires are, the sound is all that matters.

realysm42
11-06-2012, 16:30
Shit son.

MCRU
11-06-2012, 16:30
The plugs look fairly uninspiring to me, a little like what TQ are using on their interconnects...

What I don't get is why a company who spends so much time concentrating on producing very high quality cable, terminates it with mediocre plugs? :scratch:

A genuinely high-end speaker cable should have nothing less than Furutech, WBT or Eichmann banana plugs fitted on it.

Marco.

I think you will find that the higher up you go the less likely it is that your favourite connectors will appear, main reasons being the manufacturer of the cable (as an example TQ) is reliant on the plug supplier, if he runs out or has production problems TQ cannot shift product, if you look as an example at Yter which is considered amongst the best cable going, they have a cheapish looking connector on, but they sound gobsmackingly good (heard them on the end of bel canto gear a while ago). Nordost use z-plugs as standard, I could go on but the sonic advantages of fitting eichmann or wbt may not be held in as high an esteem as some think.

The main reason Nordost fit Wattgates as another example is they are one of the few suppliers who can meet demand volume and delivery wise. That is another reason maybe that WBT or Eichmann don't appear, OEM production volumes.

MCRU
11-06-2012, 16:39
Shit son.

Pardon?

realysm42
11-06-2012, 17:11
Lol I say it as a sign of enthusiasm :lol:

MCRU
11-06-2012, 22:15
Lol I say it as a sign of enthusiasm :lol:

excellent

will keep you posted :)

Marco
12-06-2012, 08:15
I think you will find that the higher up you go the less likely it is that your favourite connectors will appear, main reasons being the manufacturer of the cable (as an example TQ) is reliant on the plug supplier, if he runs out or has production problems TQ cannot shift product, if you look as an example at Yter which is considered amongst the best cable going, they have a cheapish looking connector on, but they sound gobsmackingly good (heard them on the end of bel canto gear a while ago). Nordost use z-plugs as standard, I could go on but the sonic advantages of fitting eichmann or wbt may not be held in as high an esteem as some think.

The main reason Nordost fit Wattgates as another example is they are one of the few suppliers who can meet demand volume and delivery wise. That is another reason maybe that WBT or Eichmann don't appear, OEM production volumes.

I guess so, and thanks for the insight :)

Thing is, I know how sonically influential the best plugs are, and how much the performance of good cables is diluted or held back when poorer quality plugs are used; in fact so much so, that you can ruin a good cable by terminating it with plugs which don't allow it to perform optimally. However, I accept what you're saying, but I think there's also an element of manufacturers simply not being fully aware of just how much difference the best plugs can make.

Let's face it, they can't test them all! ;) Or perhaps, beyond a certain level, they don't even consider it that important.....?

My extensive experiments recently with tonearm and digital cables, using a multitude of different plugs, however, has clearly shown how important terminating cables is with plugs of sufficient quality, so as not to hold back the performance of the partnering cable, and as far as I can see, the plugs TQ are using (for whatever viable commercial reasons) simply aren't up to the job - and, like you say, they're not alone in that respect.

Therefore, it'll be interesting what Martin thinks when he changes the plugs used on his TQ interconnects (I forget which model of cable he's got), for silver WBTs. If there is a notable increase in sound quality, then it will simply confirm the point I'm making.

Marco.

Russell Turner
12-06-2012, 08:58
The reason no data is given about construction is partly because too many people spend too much time conjugating and deliberating over technical aspects of cables when all they need to do is plug them in, the proof of the pudding is in the hearing!

Why would anyone want to spend £1000's on cables and then take them apart Russell? A 5 metre set as an example costs £4620.00! Who cares what they are made of and how thick the wires are, the sound is all that matters.

I am just curious, I am not doubting the quality of such products, but the ancient Electronics Engineer in me would like to know what they are built like, you know the classic "man thing" of taking stuff apart and then breaking it...

;-)

Mike A
12-06-2012, 09:10
WBT banana plugs aren't all they are cracked up to be IMHO. I replaced a complete set of WBTs with z-plugs on my Neotech cables and was quite surprised to find that the bass was cleaner and deeper, there was less grain, the treble was much cleaner and a sibilance problem disappeared.

I doubt TQ will be selling vast quantities of what is a very expensive cable, so there is a chance that the plugs they chose sound quite good ;)

Marco
12-06-2012, 09:54
Hi Mike,

WBT banana plugs aren't all they are cracked up to be IMHO. I replaced a complete set of WBTs with z-plugs on my Neotech cables and was quite surprised to find that the bass was cleaner and deeper, there was less grain, the treble was much cleaner and a sibilance problem disappeared.

Yup, however, there are WBT plugs, and WBT plugs, as it were... What you need are ones with 100% pure copper, or pure silver conductors, housed in a non-ferrous, non-magnetic casing, which contains as little metal, as possible, in order to minimise the effect caused by eddy currents.

In that respect, some of the entry-level WBTs are pretty useless. In terms of banana plugs, you need something like the 0610cu, from the Nextgen range, shown here: http://www.wbtusa.com/pages/0610cu.html (or its solid-silver conductor counterpart).

The key thing, for me, and which has been confirmed by my experiments in this area, is that plugs which contain lots of metal in their construction, specifically in terms of the material which casings and barrels are made of, and as a result are very chunky and heavy, seriously degrade sound quality (even though they may look good), and that this is even more of an important consideration than the ultimate quality of the signal conductor (whether it is brass, copper or silver).

It's one of the reasons for me that Eichmann Bullet Plugs work so well, quite simply because of their all-plastic construction (apart from the conductor). This could also be why you perceived an improvement from using the Z-plugs, as there is less metal used in their overall construction, than in the entry-level WBTs :)

Marco.

MartinT
12-06-2012, 10:08
Therefore, it'll be interesting what Martin thinks when he changes the plugs used on his TQ interconnects (I forget which model of cable he's got), for silver WBTs. If there is a notable increase in sound quality, then it will simply confirm the point I'm making.

They are TQ Black Phono cables and I will be swapping out the standard (Lok?) plugs for WBT 0110Ag. I don't know what to expect but it will be interesting.

Marco
12-06-2012, 10:13
Thanks for the clarification, Martin. Indeed, I'll certainly be most interested in the results you get. I'm convinced that there's more to come from those cables :)

I think much will depend on whether you can achieve the same standards of soldering of the plugs, as the manufacturer, given the type of cable you're dealing with, and how it is normally terminated.

I'm sure you'll be ok, though! Hey, if it works, then you've got the banana plugs on your speaker cables to consider.... ;)

Marco.

Mike A
12-06-2012, 10:30
Marco when I bought my first set of WBT bananas the nextgen plugs didn't exist.

I agree with you about the amount of metal in plugs and sound quality which is why I only have Eichmann plugs on my interconnects and have done since they first came out :)

MartinT
12-06-2012, 10:38
I think much will depend on whether you can achieve the same standards of soldering of the plugs, as the manufacturer, given the type of cable you're dealing with, and how it is normally terminated.

I have a temperature controlled soldering iron so I'll turn the temp up and I'll be using Shark silver content solder.

Hey, if it works, then you've got the banana plugs on your speaker cables to consider.... ;)

No way! My Ultra Blacks work extremely well and I'm leaving the z-plugs well alone.

Marco
12-06-2012, 10:47
Nice one, Mike.

The problem is that 'fancy' metal plugs, which look shiny, like jewellery, are perceived by the uninitiated, as 'better' - not only because they look 'sexier' but also because they're perceived as offering superior material value, than something made from a form of plastic.

That last bit, of course, is true. Trouble is, the 'blingier' you make plugs, the worse they sound (or rather, the worse they make the partnering cable sound)! :doh:

That's why clever manufacturers, such as WBT, Eichmann and Furutech, have addressed the problem by producing connectors which are constructed from 'audio-friendly' materials, thus ensuring that optimum signal integrity is maintained, and that the connectors themselves are also engineered to the highest standard.

My view is that most cable manufacturers haven't really cottoned onto the concept yet of just how important the role of the connectors used is in the overall performance of their cables, as the idea that such things can cause significant sonic improvements is a relatively new thing. Let's face it, how many other daftees are there, like me, who have the time and patience to properly test these things? ;)

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
12-06-2012, 10:59
A good argument so far for using good quality plugs. Why doesn't the guys who makes these ultra expensive cables give any justification for using poor quality plugs? At five grand for a set of speaker cables you would expect pure silver or copper plugs as standard???? Additionally you'd think he'd offer this service as standard considering the amount of cables he's shifting :steam:

MartinT
12-06-2012, 11:09
Let's hold back any criticism until I've changed the plugs and tried the cable out. TQ were adamant that they already use the best plugs for the job (they refused to make me a Black Phono with either WBTs or Eichmanns). I'd like to cut them some slack until I've proven things one way or another.

Is Colin here? Care to comment?

Russell Turner
12-06-2012, 11:12
Martin

Take pics of the cable mate whilst you do the change if you can please, I am still intrigued!

Ta

Mike A
12-06-2012, 11:13
Andrew, you might find that the "poor quality plug" may be a better match with the cable then a possibly more expensive one.

Marco, I have to agree with you 100%.

Marco
12-06-2012, 11:49
Andrew, you might find that the "poor quality plug" may be a better match with the cable then a possibly more expensive one.

That may in fact be the case, Mike. The most important consideration is that the construction of the plugs chosen can physically accommodate the partnering cable, and thus ensure that it is optimally terminated. It goes without saying that this comes before anything else.

However, presuming that WBTs, Eichmanns or Furutechs would be able to do the job equally as well, as the connectors TQ have chosen, then it's difficult to see why their more 'signal integrity-optimised' construction wouldn't increase the overall performance of the TQ cable itself.

I also agree with Andy, to an extent, that if TQ don't have a valid reason (such as mentioned above) for terminating their (very expensive) cables in what are mediocre quality plugs, it's a rather poor show. The cynical amongst us could think that it's all to do with maximising profit margins...

Love or loathe Kimber cables, for example, they certainly ensure that their top designs are terminated with the best plugs! ;)

Marco.

julesd68
12-06-2012, 13:22
I also agree with Andy, to an extent, that if TQ don't have a valid reason (such as mentioned above) for terminating their (very expensive) cables in what are mediocre quality plugs, it's a rather poor show. The cynical amongst us could think that it's all to do with maximising profit margins...

If I can afford to spend over £4000 on a set of cables, it is more than likely that I wouldn't be bothered about another couple of hundred pounds to pay for the likes of WBT plugs. The manufacturer would know this aswell so I would be very surprised if this all came down to profit margins, but what the answer is I have no idea! :scratch:

Marco
12-06-2012, 13:28
Indeed, Julian. But the pricing argument is that any £5k speaker cables should automatically come supplied with the best plugs that money can buy!

What we need to establish is exactly why the TQs don't... The fact that they don't (if it's for any reason other than optimising the termination), would put me off from buying them, simply because on speaker cables at that price, I'd be expecting them to come fitted with the best plugs, especially as I know, sonically, what a difference doing that makes.

The fact is, with £5k speaker cables, there should be more than enough margin available to supply diamond-encrusted plugs, never mind anything else... If you have to charge even more than that, for the cables to come fitted with the best plugs, then it could be argued that you're somewhat guilty of profiteering!! ;)

Marco.

MartinT
12-06-2012, 15:09
Guys - we were talking about interconnects and the plugs that TQ use.

There is absolutely NO evidence that the 4mm z-plugs they use on their speaker cables are inferior in any way. In fact they make a very tight connection with the WBT connectors on my amp and speakers.

Wakefield Turntables
12-06-2012, 15:09
For me its the arrogance of not explaining why they use cheap plugs. Where's the evidence that cheaper plugs are better, where's the evidence that more expensive plugs aere better. If i can see a co-herent explanation as to why the cheaper plugs are better or worse then fair enough. But to be simply told nothing is in my book purely arrogant. I await Martin's experiment with baited breath.

Marco
12-06-2012, 15:21
There is absolutely NO evidence that the 4mm z-plugs they use on their speaker cables are inferior in any way.

Yes, mate, but where's the evidence to show that they aren't?

The only way I'd believe that was if I heard a comparison between two otherwise identical TQ speaker cables, one pair fitted with the stock Z-plugs, and the other with WBT Nextgens or Eichmanns, and my ears told me that there was no difference.

If when you fit the silver WBTs to your TQ interconnects, you achieve a notable increase in sound quality, then who's to say a similar thing wouldn't happen if the Z-plugs on your speaker cables were fitted with the WBT Nextgen banana plugs?

I understand that you don't want to go there, Martin, but not going there is no proof that if you did, there wouldn't be any sonic gains! ;)

Marco.

MCRU
13-06-2012, 20:04
Well I am happy to report that the Tellurium Q Graphite Speaker Cables are simply "mind blowing". The information they send to the speakers is so detailed and beguiling its beyond superlatives. I heard the other day that a customer in the north east had took his nordost valhallas out of his system and all his mates wanted the graphites without even hearing them based just on his extreme enthusiasm, I thought he was a bit daft until now.

Paul Rigby of HI-Fi World said they were the best speaker cables he had ever heard, I concur with him 100%.

MartinT
13-06-2012, 20:13
When I win the Premium Bonds, David. Until then, the Ultra Blacks will have to do (and they do it so well).

ColinWonfor
14-06-2012, 07:00
Well I am happy to report that the Tellurium Q Graphite Speaker Cables are simply "mind blowing". The information they send to the speakers is so detailed and beguiling its beyond superlatives. I heard the other day that a customer in the north east had took his nordost valhallas out of his system and all his mates wanted the graphites without even hearing them based just on his extreme enthusiasm, I thought he was a bit daft until now.

Paul Rigby of HI-Fi World said they were the best speaker cables he had ever heard, I concur with him 100%.

"mind blowing" We are glad you like them.
:cool:

Marco
14-06-2012, 10:11
Hi Colin,

So what's your view on the points raised about the plugs you've chosen to fit on the Graphites, and the potential for upgrading (or not) with 'superior' plugs?

I'd appreciate your input on this :)

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
14-06-2012, 12:28
Hi Colin,

So what's your view on the points raised about the plugs you've chosen to fit on the Graphites, and the potential for upgrading (or not) with 'superior' plugs?

I'd appreciate your input on this :)

Marco.

Plus one for this matey, nice to get some answers

The Black Adder
14-06-2012, 12:41
What I'm finding is with a very simple upgrade to my crossovers I'm finding it 10x more in effect than any cable I have previously tried.

I'm not saying these cables don't make a difference but I would say that for £4k ish worth of cables you could seriously change and improve the sound of your speaker system that have the original stock crossovers.

I'm sure the Graphites are superb but...whoooah! that's a lot of Sovs to dish out only for the stock crossovers to strangle.

I'll be behind mi settee when the tomatoes start flying... :)

Marco
14-06-2012, 12:56
Plus one for this matey, nice to get some answers

Indeed. I was surprised (and, TBH, a little disappointed) that Colin didn't address the issue earlier. Responding to constructive criticism is part of being in business, as much as is basking in the unrelenting praise of your products.

On AoS, all products from manufacturers are open to scrutiny, outside of the trade area, where the difficult questions are asked, and answers expected.

So, Colin, it’s over to you! :)

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
14-06-2012, 13:04
What I'm finding is with a very simple upgrade to my crossovers I'm finding it 10x more in effect than any cable I have previously tried.

I'm not saying these cables don't make a difference but I would say that for £4k ish worth of cables you could seriously change and improve the sound of your speaker system that have the original stock crossovers.

I'm sure the Graphites are superb but...whoooah! that's a lot of Sovs to dish out only for the stock crossovers to strangle.

I'll be behind mi settee when the tomatoes start flying... :)

Is this with the transformers that you mentioned in the other thread about xternal xo's

The Black Adder
14-06-2012, 13:09
yip... Still in experimentation mode but it's very favorable so far, will update on the thread later.

Wakefield Turntables
14-06-2012, 13:15
Nice one. I may have a pair of 12 inch monitor golds coming over in Lancaster cabs so your experiment with external xo will be closely followed. :D

The Black Adder
14-06-2012, 13:23
Nice one. I may have a pair of 12 inch monitor golds coming over in Lancaster cabs so your experiment with external xo will be closely followed. :D

Oooooh..! Superb matey. Same as mine!

MCRU
14-06-2012, 15:31
Indeed. I was surprised (and, TBH, a little disappointed) that Colin didn't address the issue earlier. Responding to constructive criticism is part of being in business, as much as is basking in the unrelenting praise of your products.

On AoS, all products from manufacturers are open to scrutiny, outside of the trade area, where the difficult questions are asked, and answers expected.

So, Colin, it’s over to you! :)

Marco.

Trial by forum, don't think so!

You managed to scare off Rafael Todes and have you noticed not many editors post these days, there are subjects best avoided and wanting to fit better plugs on a piece of wire is your business Marco, just don't expect Colin to begin a debate about why TQ chose the connectors they did as quite frankly the cables are a breath of fresh air to the hi-fi industry, product of the year and 5 globes for EVERY single cable they make is a testament to how good they are without the fancy connectors and to be perfectly honest you don't know where the plugs are made and what the quality of plating and finish is anyway that they use. The plugs that are on the graphites also appear on a £1500 set of Black Rhodium speaker cables so are they to be accused of short changing the customers as well?

Has it occurred to you that TQ may have tested all the alternative terminations and chose the ones that overall sound the best within the price bracket they are marketing the product at? These guys are not some fly by night chinese cockle pickers who flew in and make wires up in their garage, they are veterans in the industry and extremely clever, what is on the end of the cable is not an accident, sonically they cut the mustard, proven by 1000's of satisfied customers including many AOS members.

Well there is no doubt that WBT and Eichmann connectors are sonically very good they cannot be the be all and end all otherwise everyone would use them, advocating to members that they should remove the connectors on their cables and fit your favourites has plenty of pitfalls.

Of course I do not mean any offence with the above but feel you sometimes go too far with your personal philosophy, I am sure we can debate this much further but now I have to go and make the tea. :)

Marco
14-06-2012, 16:01
Well, it's got nothing to do with "trial by forum" - get a grip, for goodness sake! :rolleyes:

I "scared off" Raphael Todes"? How exactly? I don't think so. If I did, then he was very easily "scared off"!!

On AoS, we scrutinise the design of products, when necessary, so if a manufacturer can't hack that, then they shouldn't be here. And since when were you appointed as Colin's personal spokesman? Sometimes you've got far too much to say for yourself and don't know when to STFU!! ;)

This forum is, and will never be, somewhere simply for people to 'jerk off' about the latest flavour of the month, not that I'm saying that's what TQ cables are. AoS is an in-depth discussion site, where people share their honest opinion with others, and where manufacturers and products are challenged accordingly.

All we're asking is for Colin to post a few words on the philosophy behind the particular plugs, which have been chosen on the TQ cables in question. I don't think that it would hurt too much for Colin to do so, so I'm sure he'll oblige accordingly, despite your ridiculous outburst :)

Marco.

Toppsy
14-06-2012, 16:50
I must say I do find this argument/debate about the best plugs or connections to terminate cables rather amusing.

Surey the best plug/termination to a speaker cable is no plug and just the bare wire. Each and every connection in the chain adds, or can subtract, something to the pure signal from your amp. In that case a bared wire clamped in your favourite binding posts has to be sonically the cleanest connection. And would be the cheapest of options. All you need to buy is the speaker cable as an unterminated cut length. I only use 4mm banana plugs for ease of swapping cables, but would rather not use them at all.

Marco
14-06-2012, 17:08
Hi Colin,

No argument about that.

Problem is, bare wire oxidises, and thus signal integrity is affected. Therefore, unless you periodically bare some fresh wire, and reconnect the speaker cables to their binding posts, you end up with a pretty poor connection - and most people (me included) can't be arsed.

The best plugs protect against said oxidisation, whilst maintaining optimal signal integrity, although none will be as good as fresh bare wire, securely connected to both the amplifier and speakers :)

Marco.

Barry
14-06-2012, 17:18
Hi Colin,

No argument about that.

Problem is, bare wire oxidises, and thus signal integrity is affected. Therefore, unless you periodically bare some fresh wire, and reconnect the speaker cables to their binding posts, you end up with a pretty poor connection - and most people (me included) can't be arsed.

The best plugs protect against said oxidisation, whilst maintaining optimal signal integrity, although none will be as good as fresh bare wire, securely connected to both the amplifier and speakers :)

Marco.

Actually if the binding posts are tightly screwed down and use freshly stripped stranded wire, you will squeeze out the air so the metal surfaces at the point of connection will not oxidise and you will have a good and long lasting connection. But you need to really tighten the binding post - using a spanner!

Some high-end high power American amps fit 'winged' binding posts to allow a tight connection to be made.

StanleyB
14-06-2012, 17:23
The best plugs protect against said oxidisation, whilst maintaining optimal signal integrity, although none will be as good as fresh bare wire, securely connected to both the amplifier and speakers
But only if you don't touch those bare wires with your bare hands when securing them. Finger grease can quickly form a resistance film between the bare ends that are touching and render your efforts a bit pointless. So proper degreasing and then handling with a fresh set of rubber gloves is highly recommended.

dr.jones
14-06-2012, 17:45
So the signal passes through 5m of cable priced at £4500+.....then through internal speaker wiring priced no doubt at a couple of quid per metre?

I'm still a skeptic as to how any cable can be "mind blowing" as I just haven't heard those kind of differences from any cables yet. Fair play if you can though.

MartinT
14-06-2012, 17:51
then through internal speaker wiring priced no doubt at a couple of quid per metre?

Who says? Some manufacturers do take care of the innards as much as the outer appearance.

Toppsy
14-06-2012, 18:30
Marco wrote
Hi Colin,

No argument about that.

Problem is, bare wire oxidises, and thus signal integrity is affected.

Totally agree Marco, BUT we are talking Graphite cable here. To the best of my knowledge Graphite doesn't oxidize. But I could be wrong.

Marco
14-06-2012, 18:42
I can't comment on that, Colin, as I don't know. However, regardless, I never feel that I can get as secure a connection, with the thick (heavy-gauge) speaker cable I use, using bare wire, as I do with high-quality spades, which are my preferred way of terminating unwieldy speaker cables.

I use solid-copper Cardas ones, like these:

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2417/cardasccmsc1500.gif (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/cardasccmsc1500.gif/)

...on their matching terminals (at the back of my Lockwood speakers and on my Copper amp):

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/4412/ccbpsl.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/840/ccbpsl.jpg/)

Once the spades are in place, you can nip the terminal ends up with a spanner, and get a wonderfully snug, tight, connection! They're not stuipidly priced either.

Stan, also makes a good point about here:

Finger grease can quickly form a resistance film between the bare ends that are touching and render your efforts a bit pointless. So proper degreasing and then handling with a fresh set of rubber gloves is highly recommended.

Indeed - I just couldn't be arsed with the ritual, and not doing it would bother me that the wires would tarnish, and thus I'd end up with a sonically sub-optimal connection.

I do realise that there is no such thing as a 'good' plug; merely those that are 'less bad' - and that philosophy also applies to cables. However, IME, the most 'less bad' plugs cost quite a bit to make, and the sonic improvement gained by using them, is not inconsiderable in a suitably transparent system :)

Marco.

MCRU
14-06-2012, 20:07
Oxidized copper is still a good conductor guys, anyway I have been putting these new Furutech ethereal spaded through their paces today, they are gold plated copper with POM body (pom being delrin or polyacetal) and they are very good indeed, Marco and I had a chat earlier tonight and we reckon in a few years time ALL connectors for speaker cables and interconnects will feature plastic or polymer bodies.

http://www.furutech.com/items/FT-211-300.jpg

Marco
14-06-2012, 21:19
Marco and I had a chat earlier tonight and we reckon in a few years time ALL connectors for speaker cables and interconnects will feature plastic or polymer bodies.

Indeed. Lots of metal, used in the construction of plugs, other than in the conductors themselves, is sonically a no-no :nono:

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
15-06-2012, 09:08
Marco and I had a chat earlier tonight and we reckon in a few years time ALL connectors for speaker cables and interconnects will feature plastic or polymer bodies.

Could this be simply down to a fact that I stated YEARS ago about the fact that the stiffness of a material used defines how vibration passes through it?
Most carbon fibre's have incredibly high stiffness values and surprise surprise what does furutech put around its plugs/rca's etc, carbon fibre. :mental: And yes this does include
various plastic of various types before i'm corrected. A bit of light reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stiffness, and see hormonic vibration http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibration. Now imagine the body of a rca plug being like the spring in the diagram, the spring moving up and down being vibration, the body of the RCA will be going through very small levels of harmonic vibration, stiffness helps reduce this, which in turn stops in entering the end of the RCA plug and then into the hifi chain.

Marco
15-06-2012, 10:38
Good thinking, Andy - I'm sure you're right! :)

Marco.

Barry
15-06-2012, 10:48
Could this be simply down to a fact that I stated YEARS ago about the fact that the stiffness of a material used defines how vibration passes through it?
Most carbon fibre's have incredibly high stiffness values and surprise surprise what does furutech put around its plugs/rca's etc, carbon fibre. :mental: And yes this does include
various plastic of various types before i'm corrected. A bit of light reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stiffness, and see hormonic vibration http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibration. Now imagine the body of a rca plug being like the spring in the diagram, the spring moving up and down being vibration, the body of the RCA will be going through very small levels of harmonic vibration, stiffness helps reduce this, which in turn stops in entering the end of the RCA plug and then into the hifi chain.

And what is the cause of this vibration? :scratch:

Wakefield Turntables
15-06-2012, 14:42
Barry,

You tell me!!! My answer was designed to try and educate people WHY certain materials MAY be used to stop vibration getting in RCA's. My deductions could be all hamshank :lol: Vibration is simply a variable that can arise from anywhere. The music i'm listening to through my speakers is air bourne eventually it will vibrate and hit my ear drum. The turning of my high mass platter will cause vibration on my bearing which will cause some vibration into the plinth of my 1210. The logic is simple's. Stop vibration, hopefully increasing personal (sonic) pleasure :gig:

Jabberwocky
20-06-2012, 17:25
Oxidized copper is still a good conductor guys, anyway I have been putting these new Furutech ethereal spaded through their paces today, they are gold plated copper with POM body (pom being delrin or polyacetal) and they are very good indeed, Marco and I had a chat earlier tonight and we reckon in a few years time ALL connectors for speaker cables and interconnects will feature plastic or polymer bodies.

Nonsense!
Copper Oxide is a poor semiconductor and acts as diode, causes heat build-up which causes more oxidation, etc. (hence the 'rustle' effect in braided and stranded copper versus solid copper - it's all those micro-diodes messing with the ac music signal)
Silver Oxide has almost the same conductivity as Silver - both are much better conductors than the best copper.
Gold is not as good a conductor as copper, but doesn't oxidise (well, not much)
You pays your money...

Gazjam
20-06-2012, 18:07
Well, it's got nothing to do with "trial by forum" - get a grip, for goodness sake! :rolleyes:

I "scared off" Raphael Todes"? How exactly? I don't think so. If I did, then he was very easily "scared off"!!

On AoS, we scrutinise the design of products, when necessary, so if a manufacturer can't hack that, then they shouldn't be here. And since when were you appointed as Colin's personal spokesman? Sometimes you've got far too much to say for yourself and don't know when to STFU!! ;)

This forum is, and will never be, somewhere simply for people to 'jerk off' about the latest flavour of the month, not that I'm saying that's what TQ cables are. AoS is an in-depth discussion site, where people share their honest opinion with others, and where manufacturers and products are challenged accordingly.

All we're asking is for Colin to post a few words on the philosophy behind the particular plugs, which have been chosen on the TQ cables in question. I don't think that it would hurt too much for Colin to do so, so I'm sure he'll oblige accordingly, despite your ridiculous outburst :)

Marco.

Surely Colin's entitled NOT to respond if he so chooses?
His perogative.

Not being harsh Marco but the guy doesn't have to explain anything...

respectfully,
gaz.

Marco
20-06-2012, 18:31
Colin has kindly responded to me by PM, so all is well :)

Marco.