PDA

View Full Version : So varied

Rare Bird
09-06-2012, 21:05
I may have mentioned this before but i cannot get to grips with the varied music styles people listern to..

Tim
09-06-2012, 21:11
I must make your head spin at times André :scratch:
Musical taste is almost impossible to understand I reckon - I have Patty Griffin on at the moment.

Beechwoods
09-06-2012, 21:15
I go through phases and it depends what mood I'm in. Your tastes are probably more varied than might be suggested by your love of 'early prog' - Mighty Baby is quite different to Gentle Giant or Lard Free for example...

Reid Malenfant
09-06-2012, 21:24
I may have mentioned this before but i cannot get to grips with the varied music styles people listern to..
Music to me is a mood thing... While one day I might spin something I wouldn't spin again for years, it's still good to have it & I wouldn't get rid of it as at the end of the day it's part of my life & what makes me who I am now :)

A whole lot of it is to do with memories, things you did & people you were with & how you were feeling at the time imho.

A lot of these things never leave you, there are a whole lot of things I can't forget, a whole lot I never want to! Music keeps that alive & real & brings back those feelings..

Might be a good or bad thing, but it's mighty powerful :D

Beechwoods
09-06-2012, 21:25
That pretty much sums it up for me too Mark :)

Reid Malenfant
09-06-2012, 21:45
That pretty much sums it up for me too Mark :)
Aye, glad of that one!

However, I now listen to much more of a music type or genre if you like ;)

It's only because it agrees with me & as I'm getting older & have far less interaction with friends etc that I feel more drawn to a certain type of music that does that emotional thing for me :)

No others involved...

Bit of a shame really, my memories more of my own & not me interacting with others - which is where true happiness resides :)

Imho :cool:

Rare Bird
09-06-2012, 22:38
My finger may have slipped when i started thei stopic in which i apologise:eek:

Reid Malenfant
09-06-2012, 22:43
Don't apologise Andr'e :)

While you may well have opened up a can of worms, you have made me think about things on a totally different level than I would normally.

While that may not make me feel happy, it's certainly relevant m8 :D

Rare Bird
09-06-2012, 22:49
I go through phases and it depends what mood I'm in. Your tastes are probably more varied than might be suggested by your love of 'early prog' - Mighty Baby is quite different to Gentle Giant or Lard Free for example...
However you may not realise how so much related Psychedelic Rock & very Early Prog Rock are to each other, they are basically as one ;), now later prog (in which i aint that fussed about) is a different strain :)

Gmanuk101
14-06-2012, 11:55
what do you mean by "get to grips with"?

WAD62
14-06-2012, 12:40

...t'other way round for me Andre, I can't 'get to grips' with people who don't take in varied styles of music...;)

I liken it to food, I'd be bored eating the same stuff day in day out...:)

Gmanuk101
13-07-2012, 12:06
...t'other way round for me Andre, I can't 'get to grips' with people who don't take in varied styles of music...;)

I liken it to food, I'd be bored eating the same stuff day in day out...:)

second that

John
13-07-2012, 15:12
When I first got into music I just got into one style I guess the biggest change for me is when I started to play guitar
I guess we all different I like quite a variety of music, but I remember a few years back when you explained how prog can cover so many styles and influnces. I just think we all different musical is personal
I never expect anybody to like what i like; usually I expect the opposite!

DSJR
14-07-2012, 10:48
It's all to do with the way we're made and how far on the ASD we are (most men are I reckon). I know someone who is ONLY into orchestral music from Wagner, Mahler, R Strauss, Vaughan Williams, Bruckner and associated composers, severely disliking anything "pop" and not bothering overmuch with chamber and earlier styles I remember. My son is similar, the current film soundtrack trends of huge choirs (synthed or otherwise), brass and pounding drums being right up his boulevard. My more eclectic tastes are just wierd to him, especially when I'm playing some vintage Berlin School stuff from TeeDee or Ashra for example.

wee tam
14-07-2012, 12:22
my music tastes are probably the most varied and diverse , handle to hendrix and a lot since , you can hear wagner one hour , yes the next , and well the wife like the bay city rollers , but you get the idea

Tim
14-07-2012, 12:26
It's all to do with the way we're made and how far on the ASD we are (most men are I reckon).
What's ASD mean Dave?

John
14-07-2012, 12:30
I presume Autism Spectrum Disorder