PDA

View Full Version : Is this the most expensive turntable

daytona600
09-06-2012, 18:41

for any bankers out there looking to spend there bonus

av designs haus complete ship @ $650,000

Wakefield Turntables
09-06-2012, 18:43
No. my 1210 cost more than that, in fact the cost of that TT is pocket change compared to what I've spent on the 1210. :lol:

Reid Malenfant
09-06-2012, 18:45
FUGLY thing to :eek:

:spew:

synsei
09-06-2012, 19:05
FUGLY thing to :eek:

:spew:

+1

You'd need your head examined to pay even a 10th of that for a TT IMO :stalks:

bogle111
09-06-2012, 19:13
and it does not even address the basics, such as warps.

Build something outlandish, put the highest price you can think of to get noticed and on the picture of every hi fi mag/website and hey presto, you have recouped all your development costs in the first sale!

Marketing bullsh!t, and as a marketing man, you can spot it a mile off!

I would not even bother to listen to it even if I won 1/2 the Euro-millions.

Got to be a joke.

MCRU
09-06-2012, 19:53
its for the same crowd who would buy the stillpoints rack at £15k

someone from the UK won 62 million last night on the euro lottery so that TT would be high on the last (not) :lol:

Beechwoods
09-06-2012, 21:25
Something tells me a Bose multi-room lifestyle system would be a more likely acquisition. Me, I'd probably just get a Mike New bearing, Paul Hynes PSU and a few different platter upgrades to check out how they sound. I'm a simple man with simple pleasures.

Mind you I could easily be pursuaded to drop bigger money on a pro-standard reel to reel, and a nice room to put it in!

Macca
10-06-2012, 09:00
it's 650K in dollars not pounds - if I'd won the £63 million I would probably give it a listen. All that money's not going to spend itself...

Marco
10-06-2012, 09:14
I wouldn't give it house room, under any circumstances. It's bloody hideous, and the polar opposite of what I consider to be a 'proper' turntable!! :spew:

Marco.

tannoy man
10-06-2012, 09:54
I wouldn't give it house room, under any circumstances. It's bloody hideous, and the polar opposite of what I consider to be a 'proper' turntable!! :spew:

Marco.
+1

RobbieGong
10-06-2012, 12:37
Aesthetically that deck = :spew::spew:

prestonchipfryer
10-06-2012, 12:53
Yukky yukkety yuk. :eek:

Big Vern
10-06-2012, 12:59
And it's STILL driven by a rubber belt!! ;) At that price, I'd expect some sort of plasma drive :D

MartinT
10-06-2012, 16:33
I'd be willing to bet that a Continuum Caliburn would lay waste to that monstrosity, at a considerably lower price.

daytona600
10-06-2012, 16:41
6840[QUOTE=daytona600;334706]6839

daytona600
10-06-2012, 16:43

daytona600
10-06-2012, 16:44

daytona600
10-06-2012, 16:45

daytona600
10-06-2012, 16:50

Audioman
10-06-2012, 19:44
Perhaps some proper full sized Images would be more appropriate.

I do think anyone paying much over £15K for a TT is a complete daftee. Above this price level you are paying for unecessary bling and overengineering or somebody's get rich quick scheme. Even ultimate decks like the Continuum Caliburn fail to justify the asking price.

If a medium sized modern car can be turned out for this kind of money it makes no sense that something relatively uncomplicated as a TT no matter how precisely engineered and sold in relatively small quantities should cost more.

Marco
10-06-2012, 20:07
Spot on, Paul. But then some wealthy daftees have very little imagination, in terms of how to spend their money, and even less good taste! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Marco.

MartinT
10-06-2012, 20:17
At least you can say that the Continuum Caliburn sounds utterly fantastic. I'm not justifying the price, but it's the best vinyl spinner I've ever heard.

Marco
10-06-2012, 20:39
When did you hear one, Martin? :)

Marco.

Roy S
10-06-2012, 20:50
And it's STILL driven by a rubber belt!! ;) At that price, I'd expect some sort of plasma drive :D

At that price I'd want warp drive

MartinT
10-06-2012, 21:33
When did you hear one, Martin? :)

At one of the shows a couple of years ago. May have been the Park Inn?

Marco
10-06-2012, 21:39
You might be surprised, if you heard it again, how impressed you'd be now, as the sonic performance of your own T/T has notably increased (and thus your benchmark for quality) since the last time you heard the Continuum... ;)

Marco.

MartinT
10-06-2012, 21:51
Yes, agreed, and also that was in the context of an unknown show system. However, knowing how poor most show systems sound, that still for me remains an awesome demonstration of what could be extracted from vinyl. I would never pay that price, though :eek:

I'm pretty happy with the progress of my turntable, though. Arm cable next!

Audioman
11-06-2012, 07:16
I think it has to be taken into account the limitations of most LP's. The capabilities of even more modestly price turntables will often exceed the maximum SQ of the source due to less than optimum recording and mastering. However one would expect modern LP's from the 'Audiophile' labels to have been mastered to take advantage of hi-end turntables.

As for the Continuum, there are a number of TT's at under £20K that have been claimed to rival or better it for sound such as TW Acoustics. Unfortunately have not heard either so someone with experience might like to comment.

YNWaN
11-06-2012, 07:51
I've never heard the continuum; I've seen it on show a couple of times but not actually being used. I have heard the top of the range TW Acoustics though - it was OK.

The capabilities of even more modestly price turntables will often exceed the maximum SQ of the source

I wouldn't say "will often".

Audioman
11-06-2012, 08:06
I've never heard the continuum; I've seen it on show a couple of times but not actually being used. I have heard the top of the range TW Acoustics though - it was OK.

I wouldn't say "will often".

Perhaps I would say sometimes but I was thinking of something rather more expensive than a Rega P3. Sounds like you were not that impressed with the TW in relation to your own design ? That's the problem I have with most high end TT's at shows. Some years ago I heard the Clearaudio Master Reference at the Bristol show and was impressed playing the SV Bob Dylan Oh Mercy. Got home and played the same record on my fairly modest system and concluded that I wasn't missing that much musicaly at least.

YNWaN
11-06-2012, 10:19
To be honest, I wasn't that wowed - but then it is very difficult to pin qualities to specific components at shows. Later the amps used were changed to a different model and the sound improved significantly, so lots of variables at play.

pure sound
11-06-2012, 21:43
I've yet to hear a Continuum or Grand Prix Monaco at a show or anywhere else. The most impressive TT I've heard at a show was probably the Morsiani which sounded as un-TT like as I could imagine.

I'd very much like to hear this beastie from the people behind the heavyweight Micro Seiki models. It wasn't being played in Munich unfortunately.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh107/pure_sound/Munich%20HES%202012/P1010101.jpg

It's called Air Force 1.

Marco
13-06-2012, 09:03
Interesting... There's some proper engineering going on there! Did you get any pics of the Morsiani? :)

Marco.

KeithW
13-06-2012, 12:26
Yes Marco, definitely some very nice and serious design effort in that one. As an (ex) Engineer, if I had the money, I'd be more than happy to give one house room, especially if fitted with a silver coloured SME V-12 :). However, its 'lab equipment' looks may not appeal to everyone.

pure sound
13-06-2012, 18:09
The Morsiani was at an earlier German show a few years ago. You can probably Google for images. It looks somewhat handmade but did sound very impressive.

Marco
13-06-2012, 19:06
Ah yes, a proper high-mass tape-drive job (none of yer flimsy pish):

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/4614/morsianitt.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/443/morsianitt.png/)

IME, turntables like that usually deliver the goods! :exactly:

Pity about the bulk, though. Just look at how much room it takes up, in order to house it properly... It's what has always put me off going down that route, as I need a compact T/T that will fit on top of my Mana rack.

Goodness knows what I'd need to do to accommodate that thing in my room! :eek:

However, it shows the level of engineering needed, in order for a 'belt'-drive turntable to achieve the speed stability (under load) of a top-notch direct-drive T/T ;)

Marco.

realysm42
13-06-2012, 19:14
Has anyone heard the original poster's-posted deck on here? I've seen a lot of people slate it just for it's looks and (I know nothing about decks) can you really tell it won't perform well simply on it's design?

Audioman
13-06-2012, 23:13
Has anyone heard the original poster's-posted deck on here? I've seen a lot of people slate it just for it's looks and (I know nothing about decks) can you really tell it won't perform well simply on it's design?

Err at the asking price performance is irrelevant. It's just too expensive and a lot of the cost is obviously in superfluous over engineering and bling looks plus the aim to make a lot of profit.

YNWaN
13-06-2012, 23:26
However, it shows the level of engineering needed, in order for a 'belt'-drive turntable to achieve the speed stability (under load) of a top-notch direct-drive T/T ;)

Marco.

Very funny :lol:

MartinT
14-06-2012, 06:28
Pity about the bulk, though. Just look at how much room it takes up, in order to house it properly...

I'm amazed that the deck with its obvious bulk is stood on perspex shelving. I'd be awfully worried about it :eek:

The Grand Wazoo
14-06-2012, 06:39
Come on now guys, I think we're all being a bit harsh here - this thing has got a telly and a laser on it, you know!

The Grand Wazoo
14-06-2012, 06:49
Solid chassis (60 kg) Corian - with integrated air suspension feet.
Platter of three materials - Weight 20.5 kg magnet stored.
Effective screening by specially arranged Mu-metal elements.
Speed ​​measurement with a speedometer ring (24,000 pulses / revolution)
Driven by two frequency-controlled motors with Hall sensors.
Tangential Tonearm - gimbal - longitudinally and in height.
Review and track angle measurement using laser measuring system.
Fine adjustment of the scanning system at the zero crossing also with laser
Precision linear unit driven by a specially developed linear motor - equipped with an absolute encoder system.
Ride-permanent high-definition TV camera and built-in HD-TV monitor.
Integrated digital tonearm at the parking position of the pickup.
Scanning system to detect the empty slots - track selection via smart phone.
Wireless Internet connection for easy software updates and diagnostics.
Balanced audio output on XLR connectors. (Standard studio)
S-video output and BNC output of the HD-TV camera signal.
All the necessary parameters, such as target and as system-operating hours, actual speed, feed rate and position of the linear unit, air pressure, etc. in the air suspension feet are always available on the touchscreen.

http://files.avdesignhaus.de/Bilder/Plattenspieler_405_04.jpg

http://files.avdesignhaus.de/Bilder/Plattenspieler_405_05.jpg

Marco
14-06-2012, 11:47
Very funny :lol:

Funny, but very TRUE (in my experience)!

I dislike having to 'savour the waver' with most (non high-mass) belt-drive T/Ts... ;)

Marco.

P.S Yours didn't seem to audibly suffer from that problem, hence why I said "most".

Reid Malenfant
14-06-2012, 17:10
Precision linear unit driven by a specially developed linear motor - equipped with an absolute encoder system.
All the necessary parameters, such as target and as system-operating hours, actual speed, feed rate and position of the linear unit, air pressure, etc. in the air suspension feet are always available on the touchscreen.

Bloody cheapskates, no HDMI, what ever next :rolleyes:

So you don't get the full kit & caboodle for all that money after all... While I'm about it why didn't they use a blue laser? :scratch:

:rfl:

Barry
14-06-2012, 17:26

Yes, that's what you really need - even more distracting gizmo's designed to give you more things to worry about! Clearly the designers don't think that listeners like to do just that - sit down and relax to whatever is being played.

daytona600
15-06-2012, 02:17
dont know how to do links but search youtube - soundsmith

SG strainguage with matching pre-amps now i do like that

realysm42
15-06-2012, 06:02
Err at the asking price performance is irrelevant. It's just too expensive and a lot of the cost is obviously in superfluous over engineering and bling looks plus the aim to make a lot of profit.

I disagree; while the price is frankly insane; if it sounds great and people are willing to pay, why not?

Doesn't really answer my question.

Patrick Dixon
15-06-2012, 10:22
I like the laser. I'm going to get me one of those to set the tracking up on my // tracking arm.

daytona600
15-06-2012, 13:39
I like the laser. I'm going to get me one of those to set the tracking up on my // tracking arm.

lasers , want one of these good old manual or with a ipad to set up cartridges , don,t know how to do links

search soundsmith cartright

maxrob200
19-06-2012, 05:11
Could probably load up an app and then use smartphone to program VTA with laser precision. Memory settings for different VTA heights. Throw in auto alignment as well, like Nakamichi Dragon cassette decks in the good ole days