PDA

View Full Version : Is the Ayre CD CX-7e very sibilant?

Vivek
12-01-2009, 14:20
Hi,

I have an Ayre CD CX-7e feeding into an LFD integrated (using LFD cable). I also have a Project turntable with a Goldring cartridge. LAT cables feed Harbeth speakers.

I really do like my music system a lot. I found no problems listening to the usual assorted music that I listen to (jazz, classical, rock, hip hop...basically, anything that catches my fancy).

However things changed when I played some British pop that I bought - CDs of The Cure and Blur. I started noticing sibilance. Its come to the point where I notice sibilance in all recordings, even the ones I listened to earlier and found perfectly acceptable.

And when I listen to non-vocals - wow! Lovely (ok, now may be I am watching the high hat a little more).

However, the sibilance is a mere trace when I listen to my record player (played Ricki Lee Jones and some Steely Dan - virtually any song with an "S" in the title to test it out). Given the rest of the system is the same, I would like to know whether anyone else used the Ayre and found such similar problems?

All googled reviews of Ayre speak highly of it (and even I like it a lot), but there is no mention of sibilance.

Regards,

Vivek

Steve Toy
12-01-2009, 16:03
This could be a setup issue. CD players are often quite choosy about mains cables and supports, especially high-end ones. I doubt the player itself is to blame other than for being an open window...

The harsh top end causing sibilance is probably RFI entering the signal path via your mains cable or it could be the result of microphony. Are your interconnect or mains cable touching the wall?

Try some Black Ravioli from Coherent Systems or Still Points and dress your cabling so that cables don't touch the walls or each other where possible.

PS: Welcome to AOS.

Vivek
13-01-2009, 13:49
Thank you for your welcome note and response.

The various cables (power, interconnect and speaker) all look like Bombay at peak traffic hour - everything touching each other and the walls!

Let me try work around the problem by trying to direct traffic as much as possible.

Regards,

Vivek

Steve Toy
13-01-2009, 14:32
Let me know how you get on with tackling your logistical nightmare! Also, if you post some system pics it could help us to diagnose your problem a litttle better.

Nick
14-01-2009, 19:28
The rack you have it on doesn't have glass shelves by any chance ?

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the Ayre gear doesn't like glass.

Steve Toy
14-01-2009, 19:56
Now that could be a real possibility. Again, pics will help with system diagnosis.

Vivek
15-01-2009, 04:46
Hi,

No glass at all. Its all wood. I will try get the pics done over the weekend.

Regards,

Vivek

StanleyB
15-01-2009, 07:14
I hate talking about CD players and their fault symptoms after fixing on average five a day, 280 days a year, over a period of seven years. But I shall make a rare exception.

1. Has the bass also gone softer, with the onset of the sibilance symptoms?
2. Have you recently moved the CDP to a room with a wide variation in humidity, or is the room in which you got the CDP very cold unheated, and very hot when heated?
3. Are there large windows in the room that show a high level of condensation on them when your heating is on?
4. Have you got a spirit level of any sort, but preferably a light (in weight) one? i.e. not an industrial and heavy builders type..

Stan

jandl100
15-01-2009, 10:01
Hi Vivek, and welcome to the forum.

We've all got different tastes and musical requirements, and one person's system may well not "do the deed" for someone else.

I must confess, though, that I had an Ayre CX7e for a (very) short while and was very unimpressed with the sound. That was in comparison to a twice the RRP Burmester CD006 player, so you'd hope that the Ayre would not be as good!

(they were approx. same value 'used' though - German kit is not held in high regard in the UK for some reason).

In comparison to the Burmester, the sound was tonally thin, grainy, 2D and lacking in musical vitality (micro-dynamics?). And yes, the Ayre was a well run-in unit.

So maybe you are just beginning to hear the limitations of the Ayre? All kit has limitations, after all - and not necessarily in line with price, either, in my experience!

I'd seriously suggest you try one of Stan Beresford's DACs with the Ayre as a transport. Yes, I know it's only £150 or so. ;)
http://www.beresford.me/others/main.html
I use one in my system, and I preferred it to a £3.5k Audio Synthesis DAX Decade. (The Ayre didn't even come close, imo).
Let it run in for a few days and if you aren't impressed, StanB will give you a full refund!

All just imo, but I think it's worth a try. :)

StanleyB
15-01-2009, 12:33
Or get me the circuit diagram of your DAC and I can turn it into a real piece of musical gem. Mind you, I hate modding CD players simply because of the hassle of figuring out how to post them back.

Stan

Vivek
15-01-2009, 16:51
Hello all,

Apropos the question on heating, I live in Bombay. So through the year, its open windows and a fan for cooling. Lately it has become cooler and drier, but the variation in temperature is not so much (humidity possibly yes - much lower this time of year).

I have attached not-so-good photos of my system. My speakers are normally pulled out whilst listening. You can see the disaster behind (sweeping under the carpet? you aint seen nothing!) the cabinet though. I had tried to direct the wires, but it all popped out again - possibly will use stronger tape to stick it on next time.

As far as the sound of the Ayre goes, I do like it. Moreover, my sense and sensibility missus snorts and says it sounds fine. Dynamics and detail are fine by me. 2D maybe, but you are talking to an erstwhile Naim owner (this system sounds like Naim without some of its compromises). The bass has not become softer (again answering one of the questions). In fact, it is better than ever (listened to Julian Bream- Concierto de Aranjuez and WOW!).

Its just the sibilance. Its with some CPs in a most horrible way (Brit pop) and others, since I started noticing it, it is there (I could have sworn it was not there when I listened to Sarah Vaughn - Sarah Vaughn the first time).

Thanks for your suggestions - I wouldnt know where I can get the circuit diagram of the Ayre (not with the manual I believe).

Vivek

jandl100
15-01-2009, 17:06
As far as the sound of the Ayre goes, I do like it. Moreover, my sense and sensibility missus snorts and says it sounds fine. Dynamics and detail are fine by me. 2D maybe, but you are talking to an erstwhile Naim owner (this system sounds like Naim without some of its compromises).
Vivek

Ah - OK - that might help explain things.

As I said in my original post, we all have different tastes and requirements. I hate the Naim sound - especially the older more traditional Naim sound - flat, grainy, tonally-bleached, 2D. But lots of people love it, of course, for what it does well - pace rythm speed.

Carry on as you were ... :)

Ali Tait
18-01-2009, 13:18
Stan,I've an Audio Note Dac Zero .No circuit diagram,do you have one? I'd be interested in any mods you could perform on it.PM to discuss if you wish.

Vivek
24-01-2009, 15:14
Hi,

I have been busy last few weeks descending into the world of audiophilia that I may have sneered at a few years ago (ah, but I was so much older then!).

I did the following

a) Shifted a knob on the back of the Ayre from Measure to Listen. Nothing changed dramatically.

b) Tried a power conditioner (Shunyata Hydra 2) which had frankly, a dramatic improvement in sound quality overall, albeit not with a significant decrease in sibilance. What it did is make the vocals sound richer and the sound more relaxed. Note that Ayre recommends that you plug the unit straight into the wall and not use any conditioner.

c) Tried another CD player - a brand new Quad CDP-2. To start of, both sounded good and the Quad CDP-2 was a tad less sibilant. However, what it sacrificed is some degree of musical involvement. Less foot tapping, body swaying etc. (listened to Steely Dan (Katy Lied), The Blur (Park Life), Cure (Best of), Sarah Vaughn (Crazy and Mixed Up (a right title too!) and Mahler's 4th(Klemperer)). The Ayre had a lighter touch. May be I will check the Quad after it gets demoed a bit.

So those who google, rest easy - in the context of things, if you like Ayre, well, there is enough to like. I guess I need to look elsewhere. Time to google "room treatment sibilance" or "warm cables" maybe!

Thanks for everyone who participated and your suggestions.

Vivek