PDA

View Full Version : Bast**d *Cyclops

wiicrackpot
09-06-2012, 06:33
T'was looking for mountain bike parts to upgrade my tired 90's vintage Titanium mountain bike, can relate to his findings after my brief dalliance with one. :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221019888017#ht_656wt_987

wii.

synsei
09-06-2012, 06:45
Bloody hilarious and the Q&A's even more so. I can assure you I am now wide awake as is the rest of the street, thanks for posting... :laugh:

wiicrackpot
09-06-2012, 06:49
No probs Dave, yeah ditto about Q's & A's :lol: reason i looked in there was to see how much these fetch as i've still got mine. :mental:

wii.

synsei
09-06-2012, 06:53
Before I did my back in I used to cycle a lot (I owned a Kona Scrap mountain bike) and it never crossed my mind to get a trainer, just couldn't see the point, no scenery to admire... ;)

wiicrackpot
09-06-2012, 07:26
Before I did my back in I used to cycle a lot (I owned a Kona Scrap mountain bike) and it never crossed my mind to get a trainer, just couldn't see the point, no scenery to admire... ;)
Nice bikes them Kona's, am trying to do up my Airborne Corsair for the summer assault on forest tracks, too old and unfit now to be in Lycra's on my road bike (for sale).:eyebrows:

The turbo trainer sound like an good idea due to the dreek Scottish weather, used it twice and fell out of love with it, doesn't remotely feel like proper cycling, not recommended.

p.s. Have noticed nearly all MTB shorts are size large onwards, something tells you it's a pursuit thats infested with fatso's trying to loose a spare tyre. :eek:

wii.

synsei
09-06-2012, 08:30
Nice bikes them Kona's, am trying to do up my Airborne Corsair for the summer assault on forest tracks, too old and unfit now to be in Lycra's on my road bike (for sale).:eyebrows:

I liked my Kona a lot, it was a supremely well balanced machine. I've not had the pleasure of riding a Corsair... :)

p.s. Have noticed nearly all MTB shorts are size large onwards, something tells you it's a pursuit thats infested with fatso's trying to loose a spare tyre. :eek:

wii.

That would have been me then... :lol:

wiicrackpot
10-06-2012, 05:42
I liked my Kona a lot, it was a supremely well balanced machine. I've not had the pleasure of riding a Corsair... :)

That would have been me then... :lol:
If i was starting afresh, the Kona Kula Supreme will definitely be on the list, :cool:.

All original Airborne's were great bikes and not to be mixed up with the inferior company they are now, the vintage one's was started by the chap who moved on to Van Nicholas,
he designed & sourced the frames from Taiwan but the quality was exceptional, equals yank Ti bikes costing 3 times more, i just wished i'd pushed the boat out and got one of the higher rung model,
on top of my head, there was a Lancaster, Zeppelin and the one i should have got was the Black Widow, even my entry level Corsair is fantastic, fast,responsive but plush at the same time, not like the Aluminium and Scandium bikes which are harsh and right nut crunchers, will post a pic once i've sourced the parts for my rebuild, it's more difficult and expensive as it predates disc brakes,long travel suspensions.....etc..etc.:(

Ooops!...didnae mean to hit a raw nerve, :doh: give a little effort, bet you'll look like David Hasselhof in Speedo's in no time. :D

wii.

synsei
10-06-2012, 08:26
Nay worries, all my nerves are sufficiently lagged :D

My one big regret is that I am no longer able to cycle since my accident. As well as cycling to and from work every day I used to cycle miles on the weekends, it really is the best way to explore the countryside. One memorable trip was with a friend: We cycled down the A6 from North Northamptonshire to Leytonstone in London to see his Granny. The weather was glorious and we made good time, setting off at just gone six in the morning and arriving at a little after eight in the evening, and that was despite a couple of lengthy stops. We weren't looking to time trial the journey but we were both really proud of the achievement because neither of us did any training before hand ;)

aquapiranha
10-06-2012, 08:39
that was funny thanks. Having used one in the past (a wind resistance version which howled like a banshee) I can understand where he was coming from but I didn't have any of the issues he had other than profuse sweating and extreme boredom!

I would actually like to get another in order to use my ageing Kona Nunu a bit more. In order to ride a bike around here you need nerves of steel and as well as a kevlar undies and a good health insurance policy.

I too have a spare tyre or too and a mountain bike (that has in its youth been up some proper mountains).

wiicrackpot
10-06-2012, 11:34
I would actually like to get another in order to use my ageing Kona Nunu a bit more. In order to ride a bike around here you need nerves of steel and as well as a kevlar undies and a good health insurance policy.

I too have a spare tyre or too and a mountain bike (that has in its youth been up some proper mountains).
Steve, must admit boredom was the main reason and sweat dripping everywhere without the wind in the hair effect, it was pants.

Agreed about nerves of steel to ride on the road nowadays, the amount of cars and drivers attitude towards cyclists has scared me to the point of going off road and canals,
the days of diving into gaps and riding in a 'balls out devil may care' manner are long gone.

Got a bit of a paunch and spare tyre here too, just that i was on the Bay looking at MTB shorts and can't help but notice the larger amount of big sizes
being sold. :)

wii.

wiicrackpot
10-06-2012, 11:51
My one big regret is that I am no longer able to cycle since my accident. As well as cycling to and from work every day I used to cycle miles on the weekends, it really is the best way to explore the countryside. One memorable trip was with a friend: We cycled down the A6 from North Northamptonshire to Leytonstone in London to see his Granny. The weather was glorious and we made good time, setting off at just gone six in the morning and arriving at a little after eight in the evening, and that was despite a couple of lengthy stops. We weren't looking to time trial the journey but we were both really proud of the achievement because neither of us did any training before hand ;)
Nice tale and something that stays with you forever. :)

I think back on long days spent on the saddle through the Trossachs and Loch Lomond side trying to emulate Robert Miller,
trying to dance on the peddles with the grace of an Angel....just like Robert :lol:,
though the climbs were nowhere near as big as the alps, the sense of achievement is total elation.

P.S. i have in recent years enjoyed trips to the CTC rally down in York racecourse.

wii.

synsei
10-06-2012, 12:55
Nice tale and something that stays with you forever. :)

I think back on long days spent on the saddle through the Trossachs and Loch Lomond side trying to emulate Robert Miller,
trying to dance on the peddles with the grace of an Angel....just like Robert :lol:,
though the climbs were nowhere near as big as the alps, the sense of achievement is total elation.

P.S. i have in recent years enjoyed trips to the CTC rally down in York racecourse.

wii.

That's a beautiful part of the world Andy. My ex-wife hails from Greenoch so we used to travel up that way fairly regularly to see her relatives. Whilst it was a routine journey for her I always looked forward to it. Once we'd said our hellos and spent a few hours chin-wagging I'd make my excuses and go for a drive north over Erskine Bridge and on towards Loch Lomond. There is some extraordinarily gorgeous countryside around there... ;)

wiicrackpot
10-06-2012, 20:23
That's a beautiful part of the world Andy. My ex-wife hails from Greenoch so we used to travel up that way fairly regularly to see her relatives. Whilst it was a routine journey for her I always looked forward to it. Once we'd said our hellos and spent a few hours chin-wagging I'd make my excuses and go for a drive north over Erskine Bridge and on towards Loch Lomond. There is some extraordinarily gorgeous countryside around there... ;)
Yip...those were the days, apart from the scenic route, i am very fond of the run in for home after we've cleared those Lomond Hills, Luss,Alexandria/Balloch then the long flat run in at a steady pace along Great Western Rd to help rid Lactic acid. :cool:

Sorry your wife from Greenock is an Ex or else i predict a meet when you're up this way for a jar or two and talk Sci-Fi. :eyebrows::lol:

wii.

synsei
10-06-2012, 21:28
Well, ya never know Andy. I've been up that way a few times since the divorce (don't ask, it's way too complicated :lol:) and it's not beyond the realms of possibility that there will be further excursions to the banks of the Clyde sometime in the future so a couple of bevies and a chin-wag about sci-fi might still be in the offing... :)

wiicrackpot
11-06-2012, 18:08
Well, ya never know Andy. I've been up that way a few times since the divorce (don't ask, it's way too complicated :lol:) and it's not beyond the realms of possibility that there will be further excursions to the banks of the Clyde sometime in the future so a couple of bevies and a chin-wag about sci-fi might still be in the offing... :)
Cool !!....we might jump on the wee clyde puffer and get a seal's eye view of Greenock, probably safer than to walk about there if the split was acrimonious,
the ex-inlaws might brush pass and bump you off with a wee pellet in you like they did years ago to a Russian dissident. :eek::D

i'd go easy with the sci-fi though as i amno great shakes on the subject. :lol:

wii.