PDA

View Full Version : The AOS Libary??

Primalsea
11-01-2009, 23:57
I'm all for educating myself. I know some people like to stay completely blazé about technical things but I think they should be dragged kincking and screaming and made to sit down and think about things for a while. It pays dividends in your choices.

I'm wondering if we could have a libary where interesting and useful info could be kept in the form of a collection of links, pdf's and posts containing info.

Subjects such as:

Cable Theory
Jitter
Distortion
Digital Audio
Speaker Placement
Cartridge Setup
Record Cleaning & Care
CD Care
Earth Loop Finding
Tweaks & Mods
Setting Up a PC As A Music Server
Etc Etc
etc

When anyone finds something they post or upload it and people might like to write articles as well.

Just an idea

Anyone who admits they're not technical could also be made to lock up at least 200 hours in the libary before being tested:lol:

Filterlab
12-01-2009, 08:51
Darn fine idea, and it's reminded me that I was supposed to write an article on Apple as a source component. :) We'll have a chat and get something organised.

Beechwoods
12-01-2009, 10:34
What about a wiki? Sounds like a great idea anyway :)

Filterlab
12-01-2009, 10:38
I'd have to look into the editing permissions on that one, but nifty idea.

Primalsea
12-01-2009, 20:21
How exactly does wiki work?? is it the same as Wikipedia??

I can see that we would end up with information that would contains views from conflicting sides. From what I've seen of Wikipedia the article has one direction/viewpoint with links that lead to supporting information. We would have to show both sides of anything with different schools of thought.

Beechwoods
12-01-2009, 20:54
Well I was thinking of a Wiki as an environment where user created content could be shared and inter-linked. Like Wikipedia, yeah. But it could open up a whole load of problems handling the different viewpoints like you say. What we could do is have a separate area on the forum like 'The Art of Sound Forum > Library' which had within it an open section and a 'Closed' section. Users could contribute stuff as a thread to the Open section, refine it, get comments back, and then publish it (via a curator, or moderator) to the Closed section, where it would be available for reference. Certain standards could be established in terms of references, evidence, etc to avoid pernicious nonsense ;)

This would work within the framework of the forum, allow open access and dialogue, but ensure the integrity of the reference material published, without a massive admin overhead.

It could also allow for differing viewpoints, linked beneath a single subject area. The only thing is that as far as I'm aware it's not possible to default-order threads by anything other than date, so organising it may be difficult within the confines of V-Bulletin.

It's obviously possible to use a Wiki in the same way, rather than having completely open access so people can change, amend, vandalise :) content they don't like, content could be restricted. I know of other forums that have set up Wiki's to great affect (the VW Type 25 Owners Club have one for Technical data, faq and other information). Maybe if we were to gauge interest and participation via an 'in-forum' approach, and consider an upgrade to something separate if it all took off?

Just my thoughts, mind :)

alb
12-01-2009, 21:45
Darn fine idea, and it's reminded me that I was supposed to write an article on Apple as a source component. :)

I think i suggested a basic guide to computer audio in general. But i suppose anything would be helpful.

Primalsea
12-01-2009, 22:27
Well I was thinking of a Wiki as an environment where user created content could be shared and inter-linked. Like Wikipedia, yeah. But it could open up a whole load of problems handling the different viewpoints like you say. What we could do is have a separate area on the forum like 'The Art of Sound Forum > Library' which had within it an open section and a 'Closed' section. Users could contribute stuff as a thread to the Open section, refine it, get comments back, and then publish it (via a curator, or moderator) to the Closed section, where it would be available for reference. Certain standards could be established in terms of references, evidence, etc to avoid pernicious nonsense ;)

This would work within the framework of the forum, allow open access and dialogue, but ensure the integrity of the reference material published, without a massive admin overhead.

It could also allow for differing viewpoints, linked beneath a single subject area. The only thing is that as far as I'm aware it's not possible to default-order threads by anything other than date, so organising it may be difficult within the confines of V-Bulletin.

It's obviously possible to use a Wiki in the same way, rather than having completely open access so people can change, amend, vandalise :) content they don't like, content could be restricted. I know of other forums that have set up Wiki's to great affect (the VW Type 25 Owners Club have one for Technical data, faq and other information). Maybe if we were to gauge interest and participation via an 'in-forum' approach, and consider an upgrade to something separate if it all took off?

Just my thoughts, mind :)

My god Beechy, I normally reserve such sensible thinking for the hours of 9 to 6, weekdays. Any other time my mind becomes jelly and I day dream of fit naked ladies frollicking, pillowfighting and mud wrestling. Insert naked ladies pillowfighting smiley here, there must be one.

Beechwoods
12-01-2009, 22:45
I do feel a bit faint now, I must admit... :)

Primalsea
12-01-2009, 22:51
Go and lay down for a bit dear

Filterlab
12-01-2009, 23:19
I think i suggested a basic guide to computer audio in general. But i suppose anything would be helpful.

Thing is I don't really know much about PC or Linux based audio so it would be wrong to try and create a guide, Apple I do know though. :)

alb
12-01-2009, 23:43
Fairy nuff, Rob. :)

Filterlab
13-01-2009, 08:48
However, I'm sure Steve (Sastus) and Tony (Coherent) would happily contribute their findings in that area, I know they're both well experienced with PC audio and Steve with Linux too.

Primalsea
27-01-2009, 22:40
Whats the deal with this one?? I do have bits and pieces I can post but they ar emostly .pdfs. Is this a go'er and is there a document hosting site, a photobucket for docs, docubucket??

Beechwoods
27-01-2009, 23:07
I've not forgotten about this Paul. It's on a slow burn... I definitely want to get something up and running, but need to find some time to think about it properly and get it set up so everyone knows how it'll work and how to contribute stuff etc... Been a bit busy lately, unfortunately!

Hold on to your stuff and I will be in touch :)

Primalsea
27-01-2009, 23:17
No worries!!

What ever happened to that Dust Bug you were going to send???

Beechwoods
27-01-2009, 23:23
It's now packaged and addressed. I'd hoped to get a chance to visit the Post Office today, but you know how it is :confused: I will ensure it gets into the post tomorrow! :ner:

Beechwoods
29-01-2009, 23:05
Posted today!

symon
05-02-2009, 22:20
If the library idea kicks off, how about adding a "new to hi-fi" section. This could go a bit further than some of the stuff listed in the first post. I just think it would be nice to have a point of reference to explain all the things that are taken for granted by people who have been into hi-fi for a long time. Things like a short dictionary explaining common and key hi-fi terms, stuff like that.

Steve Toy
06-02-2009, 21:54
Good idea.