PDA

View Full Version : Beresford Bushmaster DAC Reviews

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

lurcher
09-05-2013, 07:01
E leans a little toward B sharp, so to speak

I guess you mean E#/F not B#.

I wonder if want you are hearing is down to the spectral component in the output. The actual pitch that any sound from a DAC is locked to is (in most cases, not so much Async USB) the source clock and is not under the DAC's control.

highstream
09-05-2013, 07:18
Stanley, I think you miss my point. You have 1) sonic prejudices, 2) real costs of development and production and running a small business, and 3) a desire for your product to sell and presumably to make you something of an income. To make a go of it at 150 GBP a shot, some compromises have to be made. From extended listening of some highly touted <$400 Dacs, I've gotten a sense of what some common ones are. But from several thousand miles away, all I can do is try to get a sense of what yours were from others' reviews and by asking questions. Trying to find common language is part of it (reading reviews, it's amazing how many Dacs and cables are described as neutral, yet don't sound at all alike, taken on their own).

Thanks to all for your comments.

highstream
09-05-2013, 07:25
I guess you mean E#/F not B#.

I wonder if want you are hearing is down to the spectral component in the output. The actual pitch that any sound from a DAC is locked to is (in most cases, not so much Async USB) the source clock and is not under the DAC's control.

I meant D#, not B#, thanks. I don't know from a technical view, but when I listen to a Dac in a couple of very different systems, and it has lots of details, transparency and soundstage, but voices and instruments don't sound right while they do with another Dac, whether on the dry side or bright, then I know something is wrong. When I later see the first Dac's company described as having a "dry" house sound across their product line, while many reviewers describe their products as "neutral," please understand the point of my questioning with ones that I won't be able to audition, at least not without a fair amount of cost. It usually pays to look gift horses in the mouth.

StanleyB
09-05-2013, 08:26
Stan, you are coming across as a little defensive and there is no need to be, you may end up losing a potential sale if you are not careful. Gene, your best bet is to try and grab a listen to a Bushmaster before you buy one and then you can make your own judgement on whether it is for you or not using your own ears. That's my best advice for you ;)
Sometimes I have no choice but to address these recurring comments from people looking to buy a DAC but who seem to "know" all about cost price and have musician friends etc. I wonder why they even bother to ask what to get instead of just selecting the "highest price first" option in the search menu in ebay.

synsei
09-05-2013, 08:40
Sometimes I have no choice but to address these recurring comments from people looking to buy a DAC but who seem to "know" all about cost price and have musician friends etc. I wonder why they even bother to ask what to get instead of just selecting the "highest price first" option in the search menu in ebay.

Slow and steady wins the race Stan, as painful as that can be sometimes, especially for the wallet... ;)

Perhaps you should develop a 'statement' DAC Stan, just a limited run mind you. Pull out all the stops on the old promotional machine: 'Hand-rolled by virgins', 'internally wired with purest Angel Hair', 'every unit breathed on personally by Noel Keywood' etc, etc, and use it to promote just how closely the BM compares to it in performance. It might work... :D

StanleyB
09-05-2013, 09:06
Slow and steady wins the race Stan, as painful as that can be sometimes, especially for the wallet... ;)

Perhaps you should develop a 'statement' DAC Stan, just a limited run mind you. Pull out all the stops on the old promotional machine: 'Hand-rolled by virgins', 'internally wired with purest Angel Hair', 'every unit breathed on personally by Noel Keywood' etc, etc, and use it to promote just how closely the BM compares to it in performance. It might work... :D
The BM is largely hand built by mainly highly skilled people over the age of 50 who would otherwise not have a job to go to. I deliberately decided on that manufacturing route after wasting time on more than 500 job applications and realizing that it's a tough task getting a job once over 50. Selling direct helps to keep the price down by about 30 to 60% of the price one would otherwise have to pay in a shop. But it is obvious that the savings made by direct selling also puts the product in a lower price bracket that triggers the impression that it is an inferior product. A full whack price structure might actually be a far better marketing idea. People tend to overlook the fact that a BM with aftermarket linear PSU is around £325 to £400. I wouldn't call that cheap.

Clive
09-05-2013, 09:10
It strikes me that musicians focus on pitch whereas non-musicians and audiences seem to care more about the whole performance and how real it sounds.

synsei
09-05-2013, 09:17
The BM is largely hand built by mainly highly skilled people over the age of 50 who would otherwise not have a job to go to. I deliberately decided on that manufacturing route after wasting time on more than 500 job applications and realizing that it's a tough task getting a job once over 50. Selling direct helps to keep the price down by about 30 to 60% of the price one would otherwise have to pay in a shop. But it is obvious that the savings made by direct selling also puts the product in a lower price bracket that triggers the impression that it is an inferior product. A full whack price structure might actually be a far better marketing idea. People tend to overlook the fact that a BM with aftermarket linear PSU is around £325 to £400. I wouldn't call that cheap.

Neither would I and my comment was very much tongue in cheek and aimed at those with more money than sense...

StanleyB
09-05-2013, 09:22
As to more expensive DACs, there's always more detail retrieval, wider and deeper soundstage etc. I would say that the only aspect of the BM that is obviously not high end is in its dynamic portrayal, which doesn't have the knockout clout of my Ayre disc player.
The audio output from a DAC chip is a linear signal. In order to get the impression of a wider dynamic range a separate audio stage is needed that is voiced with a logarithmic slope. So the louder passages are amplified a bit/lot more than the quieter passages. But you might get a chance soon to try out the prototype of something that will demonstrate that principle. As you know from your own customized mods the BM has a lot more unlocked features embedded in its design that I am slowly working my way through ;).

StanleyB
09-05-2013, 09:28
Neither would I and my comment was very much tongue in cheek and aimed at those with more money than sense...
I am aware of that so don't think for one moment that I am in any way offended. My customer base is mainly occupied by people with more sense than money with the odd exception of course.

synsei
09-05-2013, 09:31
I am aware of that so don't think for one moment that I am in any way offended. My customer base is mainly occupied by people with more sense than money with the odd exception of course.

You can't please all of the people all of the time ;)

MartinT
09-05-2013, 10:00
But you might get a chance soon to try out the prototype of something that will demonstrate that principle. As you know from your own customized mods the BM has a lot more unlocked features embedded in its design that I am slowly working my way through ;).

I look forward to that, Stan. Some of the effect of greater impact is by virtue of running balanced connection (I find that always to be the case), which explains why I keep asking for balanced outputs in your next design :)

Yomanze
09-05-2013, 10:05
The audio output from a DAC chip is a linear signal. In order to get the impression of a wider dynamic range a separate audio stage is needed that is voiced with a logarithmic slope. So the louder passages are amplified a bit/lot more than the quieter passages. But you might get a chance soon to try out the prototype of something that will demonstrate that principle. As you know from your own customized mods the BM has a lot more unlocked features embedded in its design that I am slowly working my way through ;).

Hi Stan, with all due respect, the DAC chip has filtering and a line driver / DC servo built-in to the chip... it's a bit misleading to market your product as a sort of "passive" DAC that doesn't need an 'audio stage'...

StanleyB
09-05-2013, 10:53
Hi Stan, with all due respect, the DAC chip has filtering and a line driver / DC servo built-in to the chip... it's a bit misleading to market your product as a sort of "passive" DAC that doesn't need an 'audio stage'...
It is not the first time that you have thrown accusations in my direction and it is high time I address it.
Where exactly have I marketed my product as a passive DAC?

Yomanze
09-05-2013, 11:27
It is not the first time that you have thrown accusations in my direction and it is high time I address it.
Where exactly have I marketed my product as a passive DAC?

Hi Stan,

From http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=263326

"Other technical details:
No audio caps in the signal path between DAC chip and RCA/phono sockets.
No opamp output stage.
i.e. it is a fully passive output DAC."

It isn't a fully passive output DAC as the chip has a built-in line stage.

PS: I obviously don't have a problem with you or your products as I do openly recommend your products e.g. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25579, but your comments to Martin regarding dynamics, to me, implied that external output stages colour or change the sound, but your DAC doesn't (despite having an output stage).

As far as I'm aware a fully passive DAC would be a multibit current output DAC with an I/V resistor and (likely) an output transformer to add gain...

Thanks,

Neil

StanleyB
09-05-2013, 12:17
If you wish to twist my comments into something else that suits your agenda of demeaning the Bushmaster you are certainly exposing yourself repeatedly.
The information you point to is certainly not a marketing leaflet and dates from 03-11-2011, which is way earlier than the release of any new DAC from me.
The BM was released in the middle of 2012 and I have stated the technology employed by the chip manufacturer on numerous occasions. I suggest that you contact them and point out to them that their stated technology is a marketing scam. I don't see the point of you making your own interpretations of what is written unless you have deep seated alternative motives. Maybe you are working for a competitor or have commercial interest in a rival product?

synsei
09-05-2013, 12:23
Shall I call the fire brigade? :rolleyes:

StanleyB
09-05-2013, 12:34
Naah. It's time I put Neil to task on his long standing attack on me and my DACs. I am getting fed up of people like him who constantly try to shaft British talent and skills in preference to Chinese designs and non-UK component manufacturers.

highstream
09-05-2013, 14:58

Stan, you write with considerable prejudice and rancor, and it's not very appealing (I didn't expect you to answer my sound quality questions, because that wouldn't be fair - or smart marketing). Not only do I know from experience with a living room systems back in the '80s and '90s that cost and sound quality often don't go together, I'm also relatively speaking a cheapskate. For example, I've got a wonderful (for its price range) MyDac on my living room floor, one that not only sounds pretty good but solved my TV/media box-Toslink switching problem with the Audioengine D1 (sound dropout). However, the idea of paying 369 USD plus transportation (four times) for a simple 2.0 setup strikes me as too much, even though I can easily afford it. That's why I've been plumbing the lower price end of the market looking for worthy alternatives. That led me to post here in another thread asking for suggestions, and that's how I got steered to Beresford. Unfortunately for practical purposes, you're in England and I'm in the States, hence buying is an all-or-nothing crapshoot. That's why my few questions to clarify some reviewers' comments, as well as to get information about your product that's currently unreachable on your website (bugs).

synsei
09-05-2013, 15:53
What are you doing Stan? May I suggest that you sign up for a course in public relations as a matter of urgency, either that or employ someone to do it for you because it is definitely not your forté dude... :eyebrows:

When someone interested in your product asks pertinent questions about its performance because they happen to live 3000 miles away and want to be as sure as they can that they are buying the right product, you do not get all defensive on their ass and launch personal attacks on them. Also, why are you so quick to accuse people of being anti-British when you are backed into a corner? It ain't cool dude and you of all people should understand that. This has the potential to damage your business Stan so please try to stay cool because it would be a terrible shame if you blew it simply because you cannot handle simple customer relations issues :(

marflao
09-05-2013, 17:45
What are you doing Stan? May I suggest that you sign up for a course in public relations as a matter of urgency, either that or employ someone to do it for you because it is definitely not your forté dude... :eyebrows:

When someone interested in your product asks pertinent questions about its performance because they happen to live 3000 miles away and want to be as sure as they can that they are buying the right product, you do not get all defensive on their ass and launch personal attacks on them. Also, why are you so quick to accuse people of being anti-British when you are backed into a corner? It ain't cool dude and you of all people should understand that. This has the potential to damage your business Stan so please try to stay cool because it would be a terrible shame if you blew it simply because you cannot handle simple customer relations issues :(

+1.....totally second this.

magiccarpetride
09-05-2013, 18:14
Talking about terminology, I have a hard time grasping what "neutral" means, because it's used in so many ways.

The way I use the term 'neutral' is as follows: if I compare two audio components (say, two DACs), and I hear that one of them is apparently adding some coloration to the sound while that same coloration is absent from another DAC, I claim that this other DAC is 'neutral'.

Obviously, I'm speaking in relative terms, because I don't really have a reference point from which to claim the absolute, honest-to-god objective 'neutrality'. Yes, I am a musician and I do have musical instruments in my house, but to me it's impossible to compare the sound of the real instrument with the sound of a reproduced instrument -- I've never heard a system that could come even close to the real thing. Even the most ultimate audio system I've ever listened to is, to me, just a pale approximation of how live music played on good instruments actually sounds.

alan47
09-05-2013, 19:14
Please ignore all this crap Stan and concentrate on perfecting the usb version of the BM:scratch::mental:

synsei
09-05-2013, 19:20
Please ignore all this crap Stan and concentrate on perfecting the usb version of the BM:scratch::mental:

I'm sure the customer who caught the sharp end of Stan's tongue appreciates your support Alan. Whatever line of business one works in you just can't get away with treating your customers in that manner without risking some damage to your reputation. Take the blinkers off buddy and try reading through the relevant posts and you will see why I felt an urgent need to offer Stan some sound advice, for his sake and the sake of his business... :doh:

Clive
09-05-2013, 20:12
I have sympathy with Stan. Dealing with the public is tough, when this is in public too this results in the feeling of being under attack. Frankly some of the comments here don't help.

myles
09-05-2013, 20:29
I don't understand how something can be penalised for being too cheap! It might be old news but I had the first iteration of the Beresford DAC and although I didn't even buy it from Stan I had sterling service, a number of conversations about modding that wasn't going to make a penny for him.
Price, service and product...all boxes were ticked for me. This last days worth of conversation looks like a bit of a blip for Stan, perhaps a bad day or something.

FAO Highstream: I suggest you PM Stan and try to re-state your requirements and uncertainties again, it'll be worth it.

StanleyB
09-05-2013, 20:34
I'm sure the customer who caught the sharp end of Stan's tongue appreciates your support Alan. Whatever line of business one works in you just can't get away with treating your customers in that manner without risking some damage to your reputation. Take the blinkers off buddy and try reading through the relevant posts and you will see why I felt an urgent need to offer Stan some sound advice, for his sake and the sake of his business... :doh:
I didn't start this business to make loads of money, but to share my ideas on how some things can be built to sound excellent without costing the earth. Few in the industry would deny that I shook the DAC market to its core with the release of the multiple inputs TC-7510, and the use of surface mount components for much of the design. Many have entered/re-entered the market after seeing how successful I was with my alternative design and manufacturing ideas, and have more often than not surpassed me in terms of turnover.
I didn't start this business to make loads of money in the first place. Of course I'll continue designing things from a different angle and showcasing the end results. I am however not in the business to accept some wi(l)dely held views on many aspects of musical reproduction and equipment pricing, and I am not afraid to say so. My designs try to show otherwise where possible. But of course there will be people who are still stuck to the ideology that I don't pay much attention to. Staying quiet about it might be the norm for many businesses, but I am not from that school of thought. Otherwise I could be seen to give credence to those misconceptions, and thereby denying the end user the chance to pay less for more.

synsei
09-05-2013, 20:36
I have sympathy with Stan. Dealing with the public is tough, when this is in public too this results in the feeling of being under attack. Frankly some of the comments here don't help.

You are absolutely right Clive, dealing with the public is tough and not everyone can cope with it, hence my suggestion to Stan that he either signs up to a public relations course or perhaps employs someone to take care of that side of the business for him, thus relieving him to do what he excels at doing, which is designing stunning DAC's. I think he would be much happier without the stress of it all and his customers would benefit from not having to deal with a stressed out Stan ;)

synsei
09-05-2013, 20:43
I didn't start this business to make loads of money, but to share my ideas on how some things can be built to sound excellent without costing the earth. Few in the industry would deny that I shook the DAC market to its core with the release of the multiple inputs TC-7510, and the use of surface mount components for much of the design. Many have entered/re-entered the market after seeing how successful I was with my alternative design and manufacturing ideas, and have more often than not surpassed me in terms of turnover.
I didn't start this business to make loads of money in the first place. Of course I'll continue designing things from a different angle and showcasing the end results. I am however not in the business to accept some wi(l)dely held views on many aspects of musical reproduction and equipment pricing, and I am not afraid to say so. My designs try to show otherwise where possible. But of course there will be people who are still stuck to the ideology that I don't pay much attention to. Staying quiet about it might be the norm for many businesses, but I am not from that school of thought. Otherwise I could be seen to give credence to those misconceptions, and thereby denying the end user the chance to pay less for more.

Stan please believe me when I say that I am not attacking you or your business. I really admire what you have built up and I admire you personally, but it concerns me when I see you laying into people who are asking perfectly legitimate questions about your products and how they operate. I could easily keep quiet about this if I didn't give a damn, but I do buddy. Anyway, that's my take on it. You are a big boy and you are quite capable of running your business as you see fit, but I do think you need to lay off the loud pedal a bit IMHO. This will be my last word on the matter, the rest is up to you...

Xaval
09-05-2013, 21:42
Martin, I know you mean neutral as a compliment, but to me it begs the question re both points I made. When I listen to a "neutral" Dac that makes a tonally accurate or even slightly bright recording sound dry, i.e., that is tonally low (E leans a little toward B sharp, so to speak), and there are plenty of audio components that do that to one degree or another while at the same time providing great detail, transparency, etc., then what does neutral mean? The question I always ask is, do singers sound like real singers and instruments sound like real instruments tonally - i.e., does it sound like (resemble) real music, not just some pieces of it?
In a way we are a bit on the same side of the fence. I can't pin point exactly what neutral is and probably few can. I wasn't there during the recording anyway... outside wierd peaks and coloration or distortion, the less you hear/feel them back to other equipment rig the more neutral the system may sound imo.
But to try answering your question I state with no reservation that voices do sound like voices - I'm not much into pop-opera, but about an hour or so ago I was listening to Pavarotti's Nessum Dorma on the 3 tenor in concert MFSL recording and... I shed a tear. Yup, that was a voice and the BM did it all. As to instruments the BM also delivers the goods. I'm playing Keith Jarret's Koln Concert now on ECM and that is a wonderfull sounding piano with air, attack, decay in a big room... the works.
Forget about the cost of the BM next with others if it bothers you for being on the cheap side. And yes, it can sound even better with linear PSU and sbooster thingy.

MartinT
09-05-2013, 22:03
I have even higher respect for the Bushmaster after tonight, when I played some FLAC files from a needle drop of a deck I know very well, one not a million miles different from mine, via my modified Logitech Touch into the BM. I compared it with the SACD played through my kilobuck Ayre player.

The news is that the FLAC and SACD were so very close to each other in sound and in tonality that I enjoyed them both equally. Now the Ayre is the best damned disc player I know and the only one to receive a Stereophile A+ rating. So what does that say for a £200 DAC? It says that it's almost at the pinnacle of accomplishment and simply outstanding at any price.

rxjr
09-05-2013, 22:26
I have been reading, with a lot of amusement, the back and forth, rantings and ravings about the Bushmaster. How the led lights are too bright, how they bother some people, how to change their programming, and or mods to be made to the Bushmaster, etc...

Let's get something straight here folks:

1. When one buys an audio product or any other item, the buyer essentially purchases the designer's VISION of what that product should look and sound like. The fact alone that StanB takes the time to reply to customer queries in a personal manner, is way beyond and above what a product designer does for his customers; some of whom have even purchased the Bushmaster used or second hand. Now try calling Krell or wilson audio and/or any other high end audio gear manufacturer and tell them how their led lights irritate you or that they should mod the programming of their units to please you, and I bet you, with almost certainty that you get the phone slammed in your ear and the line cut off. And by the way, they don't care whether you buy or not.

2. To those who are unsure about purchasing the Bushmaster: There are currently 128 pages on this forum, lots of them describing the great sound and dynamics of this unit. One thing is undeniable even from its detractors - The Bushmaster is an excellent sounding piece of gear , and when coupled with its extremely affordable price, makes it an even greater bargain. I am from the USA and I bought the Bushmaster sight unseen and unheard and when I got this DAC, was thoroughly impressed by its sound and performance. I am highly satisfied with this unit and am looking forward to the next generation DAC from StanB.

3. To StanB - my suggestion to you is as follows: continue your design work as is and free your mind from those detractors and naysayers who will try to swing you, one way or another, until they drive you crazy. Remember - it is your design, your vision that you are promoting, not theirs. If they don't like your vision and or design, they can take their business elsewhere. The bottom line - they weren't gonna buy it anyway. Spend your time and energies on your design work; keep moving forward and if your product is good, the rewards will follow.

This whole episode reminds me of one of my wife's business customers, who in previous years, due to this customers financial difficulties in 2008, my wife gave her free eye exams, a free pair of eyeglasses and free contact lenses (a charity case). In 2010, this same customer, claiming continuing financial hardship, was again given all the above items for free (approx $500.00). In 2013, this same customer again, went to my wife's office, demanding the same items for free, and when she was charged just the cost of these services. became mad and said she would take her business elsewhere. Lesson learned here is one may think they are helping people out, but in reality, this person was just a taker, an abuser, who when charged a minimum fee, got mad and took her business elsewhere. Again, those who complain too much, those who demand too much, were never really your customers and you should be glad, you got rid of them.

4. To StanB - don't let this people twist you into a pretzel. They were never your customers to begin with.

5. We have a great saying here in the good old USA - Opinions are like A**holes. Everybody's got one. Bye.

Rex

Alex_UK
09-05-2013, 22:36
That is a great post, Rex. I'm trying to stay impartial in all of this, but you speak a lot of truth. :)

icehockeyboy
09-05-2013, 22:43
I have been reading, with a lot of amusement, the back and forth, rantings and ravings about the Bushmaster. How the led lights are too bright, how they bother some people, how to change their programming, and or mods to be made to the Bushmaster, etc...

Let's get something straight here folks:

1. When one buys an audio product or any other item, the buyer essentially purchases the designer's VISION of what that product should look and sound like. The fact alone that StanB takes the time to reply to customer queries in a personal manner, is way beyond and above what a product designer does for his customers; some of whom have even purchased the Bushmaster used or second hand. Now try calling Krell or wilson audio and/or any other high end audio gear manufacturer and tell them how their led lights irritate you or that they should mod the programming of their units to please you, and I bet you, with almost certainty that you get the phone slammed in your ear and the line cut off. And by the way, they don't care whether you buy or not.

2. To those who are unsure about purchasing the Bushmaster: There are currently 128 pages on this forum, lots of them describing the great sound and dynamics of this unit. One thing is undeniable even from its detractors - The Bushmaster is an excellent sounding piece of gear , and when coupled with its extremely affordable price, makes it an even greater bargain. I am from the USA and I bought the Bushmaster sight unseen and unheard and when I got this DAC, was thoroughly impressed by its sound and performance. I am highly satisfied with this unit and am looking forward to the next generation DAC from StanB.

3. To StanB - my suggestion to you is as follows: continue your design work as is and free your mind from those detractors and naysayers who will try to swing you, one way or another, until they drive you crazy. Remember - it is your design, your vision that you are promoting, not theirs. If they don't like your vision and or design, they can take their business elsewhere. The bottom line - they weren't gonna buy it anyway. Spend your time and energies on your design work; keep moving forward and if your product is good, the rewards will follow.

This whole episode reminds me of one of my wife's business customers, who in previous years, due to this customers financial difficulties in 2008, my wife gave her free eye exams, a free pair of eyeglasses and free contact lenses (a charity case). In 2010, this same customer, claiming continuing financial hardship, was again given all the above items for free (approx $500.00). In 2013, this same customer again, went to my wife's office, demanding the same items for free, and when she was charged just the cost of these services. became mad and said she would take her business elsewhere. Lesson learned here is one may think they are helping people out, but in reality, this person was just a taker, an abuser, who when charged a minimum fee, got mad and took her business elsewhere. Again, those who complain too much, those who demand too much, were never really your customers and you should be glad, you got rid of them.

4. To StanB - don't let this people twist you into a pretzel. They were never your customers to begin with.

5. We have a great saying here in the good old USA - Opinions are like A**holes. Everybody's got one. Bye.

Rex

:clapclapclap:

pete_mac
09-05-2013, 23:52
The way I use the term 'neutral' is as follows: if I compare two audio components (say, two DACs), and I hear that one of them is apparently adding some coloration to the sound while that same coloration is absent from another DAC, I claim that this other DAC is 'neutral'.

Obviously, I'm speaking in relative terms, because I don't really have a reference point from which to claim the absolute, honest-to-god objective 'neutrality'. Yes, I am a musician and I do have musical instruments in my house, but to me it's impossible to compare the sound of the real instrument with the sound of a reproduced instrument -- I've never heard a system that could come even close to the real thing. Even the most ultimate audio system I've ever listened to is, to me, just a pale approximation of how live music played on good instruments actually sounds.

That's where things become tricky, as to my ears, the BM is quite dry in its presentation vs my preferred DACs - some of which I (and many others) consider to be quite neutral. Who is the arbiter of what is 'neutral' when you have many different DAC designers and audio enthusiasts claiming that a whole load of different-sounding DACs are 'neutral'? It's quite the conundrum!

highstream
10-05-2013, 00:06
Thanks, Xaval and pete_mac. While you express diametrically opposite views in the end re the BM - LOL - I appreciate that you understand where my questions and probing the meaning of "neutral" were coming from.

synsei
10-05-2013, 06:18
I have even higher respect for the Bushmaster after tonight, when I played some FLAC files from a needle drop of a deck I know very well, one not a million miles different from mine, via my modified Logitech Touch into the BM. I compared it with the SACD played through my kilobuck Ayre player.

The news is that the FLAC and SACD were so very close to each other in sound and in tonality that I enjoyed them both equally. Now the Ayre is the best damned disc player I know and the only one to receive a Stereophile A+ rating. So what does that say for a £200 DAC? It says that it's almost at the pinnacle of accomplishment and simply outstanding at any price.

That's fantastic news Martin and I am sure Stan will be very happy to read your results ;)

Rex, let me explain my position to you regarding the BM. Basically I found the unit to be very frustrating. On the one hand I found myself enjoying one of the best sounding DAC's I've ever heard, on the other I was continually fighting a flawed unit. This wasn't just down to semantics my friend. Due perhaps to the peculiarities of my set up the BM I owned would constantly freeze when changing inputs, regardless of whether it was set to Auto or Manual. I should explain that all the issues arose due to my having multiple active digital inputs, but the main catalyst seemingly was my self built music server.

Previously I had owned a Beresford Caiman which performed flawlessly within my system, and I have nothing but praise for it. The problems began when I hooked the BM into the system. For some reason the BM's firmware was thrown completely out of whack. I am at a loss to explain exactly why as I have used various DAC's in the same set up without any issues at all, however it quickly became apparent to me that the BM's auto source select routines were struggling with the multiple digital inputs. After various email and PM exchanges with other owners and Stan himself I discovered that the auto select feature could be over-ridden and the unit could be put into manual mode. This worked in a fashion, however the unit would still hunt through the active inputs before finally settling down on the one I wanted. The unit frequently froze during such operations and for a little while it was possible to bring it back to life after a freeze by simply turning the unit off and back on again. Things came to a head however when the unit refused to power up again after a freeze, even after I had unplugged it from the mains for a while.

Stan offered to take a look at it even though I had purchased the unit secondhand for which I was very grateful because I was becoming ever more frustrated with the unit. I cannot stress this often enough, my frustration was born out of owning a DAC that sounded wonderful but refused to operate properly. I can describe the ownership experience of this particular unit thus: It was like owning a top of the range Ferrari with all the joys that brings, only to find that some bugger had randomly messed up all the controls. For example, steer left and the car goes to the right, push the accelerator and the car brakes, etc, etc.

It came to light during this period that a previous owner of this particular BM had had the same issues as me and Stan had subsequently modified the firmware. For reasons only Stan can know this modification did not solve the problem, and neither did the mod Stan carried out for me. In the end the frustrations of ownership became far to much for me. The final straw was when my partner told me she would not use the system because she was afraid the BM would break if she switched it on. Music means everything to my partner, as it does to me, so to hear her say she was afraid to touch the system because of the BM's issues put the lid on the situation for me. I returned the DAC to the person I bought it from after copping some undeserved flak from Stan and I subsequently bought a Rega DAC which continues to perform flawlessly.

And that is about it. I miss the BM's gutsy sound and excellent headphone stage, however I have ended up with a DAC that sounds a tad better although admittedly it costs more, but more importantly it is delivering superb SQ plus a stress free ownership experience and that is very important to me. I should also point out that despite all this I am still supporting a British design and manufacturing team for those who think that sort of thing is important ;)

Hopefully the design changes Stan has in the pipeline will solve the issues I experienced during my ownership of this fabulous sounding product. To reiterate, I miss the headphone stage the most, I have not heard my headphones sound so wonderfully natural either before or since. Incidentally, I fully accept that there are those who have experienced no such issues with their BM's , in which case you lucky, lucky people have ended up with an absolute bargain :)

MartinT
10-05-2013, 06:37
I should say that I have performed the following mods, so my SQ comments should be taken with that understanding:

Touch: EDO (Enhanced Digital Output) module, all unnecessary functions shut down, screen off, Paul Hynes PR3 PSU
Bushmaster: Latest async firmware, diode removal, Paul Hynes PR3i PSU

synsei
10-05-2013, 06:42
I wish I had a better technical understanding of both the BM and PC's in general so I could perhaps help Stan to understand what may have been causing the BM I owned to freak out. it is an enigma for sure... :scratch:

Canetoad
10-05-2013, 13:08

Martin, do you know how the needle drop was produced? Hardware/software/bit rate?

MartinT
10-05-2013, 14:33
It was Marco's heavily modified Technics deck with Ortofon SPU, Croft Charisma X phono amp into a fairly ordinary sound card (EMU 0102) using Audacity. Standard 16/44 file format in FLAC.

highstream
10-05-2013, 14:46
synsei, if I understand your explanation correctly, I have something of a similar input problem problem with the Audioengine D1 Dac with my TV 2.0 set up (which in looking for alternatives is how I arrived in this forum). The sound frequently drops out when switching, whether turning the TV on, switching between devices, or even switching within a device, e.g., changing channels a few times quickly, reverse/forward videos on a USB media box. Since a Micromega MyDac works correctly and it's powered by 110v AC directly (U.S.), vs. from the USB port with an AC adapter (5v DC?) with the AE, I've assumed it is a power issue. When I saw the designation DC on the 7530 it made me wonder, although the earlier Beresford's were also DC, I think. I never thought about the possibility of firmware. Have to ask Audioengine about that.

synsei
10-05-2013, 15:44
Good luck with that Gene ;)

snapper
10-05-2013, 15:44
Martin, do you know how the needle drop was produced? Hardware/software/bit rate?

It was Marco's heavily modified Technics deck with Ortofon SPU, Croft Charisma X phono amp into a fairly ordinary sound card (EMU 0102) using Audacity. Standard 16/44 file format in FLAC.

It was Marco's heavily modified Technics deck with Ortofon SPU, Croft Charisma X phono amp into a fairly ordinary sound card (EMU 0202) using Adobe Audition into a mac. Standard 16/44 file format in WAV, then converted to FLAC using XLD.

:)

Clive
10-05-2013, 15:48
If I understand it correctly it seems these switching issues are routed in the sources not looking to be "off" at the DAC input. What's the betting AudioEngine will say "we expect there to be only one digital source actively transmitting at any one time".

highstream
10-05-2013, 16:47
If I understand it correctly it seems these switching issues are routed in the sources not looking to be "off" at the DAC input. What's the betting AudioEngine will say "we expect there to be only one digital source actively transmitting at any one time".
Yes, my thinking has been slow switching - and sometimes maybe not recognizing the last device that was in focus at powering down (i.e., why no TV sound sometimes at power up). I'm not counting on much from AE, but the AE cost me $119 vs. $369 for the Micromega. That's a lot just to get proper switching.

rxjr
10-05-2013, 17:04
I completely agree with Clive. Having multiple active inputs will definitely confuse the Bushmaster's auto search function bonkers and drive it over the edge. I have done the same thing with 4 active inputs, and watched the input LEDs struggle to lock onto a single input channel; but I had the good sense to switch the input selection channel on the Bushmaster to MANUAL, select the channel I wanted to listen to, and presto - problem solved. Simple, if you really think about it. Reading the previous posts, I believe this to be the main reason why people are having such issues with the Bushmaster.

To StanB: Always remember what I have stated in my previous post about detractors naysayers and complainers, telling you how you should mod your product, rewrite its software, and run your business, etc...etc.. Remember, it is your business, it is your product, and it is your VISION, not theirs. It is a much better choice for you as a businessman, to make your own choices, your own decisions, and to succeed or fail in your endeavors, based on your OWN personal choices, not theirs. Always support the people that have made investments in your products; your REAL customers so to speak of.

Don't let the tire kickers ideas and opinions affect how you design and market your products, or run your business. (For those that don't know - a tire kicker is a supposed customer who walks into a car lot; test drives the car, says he would love to buy it now, if only it were in red or blue or lime green - whatever color is not on the lot, drives the salesman crazy struggling to please him or her, then, doesn't buy anyway). Beware the tire kickers - there are lots of them. And they are not your REAL customers to begin with.

And never forget that great old American saying - Opinions are like A**holes -
Everybody's got one. Goodbye and have a nice day.

Rex

synsei
10-05-2013, 17:07
I completely agree with Clive. Having multiple active inputs will definitely confuse the Bushmaster's auto search function bonkers and drive it over the edge. I have done the same thing with 4 active inputs, and watched the input LEDs struggle to lock onto a single input channel; but I had the good sense to switch the input selection channel on the Bushmaster to MANUAL, select the channel I wanted to listen to, and presto - problem solved. Simple, if you really think about it. Reading the previous posts, I believe this to be the main reason why people are having such issues with the Bushmaster.

To StanB: Always remember what I have stated in my previous post about detractors naysayers and complainers, telling you how you should mod your product, rewrite its software, and run your business, etc...etc.. Remember, it is your business, it is your product, and it is your VISION, not theirs. It is a much better choice for you as a businessman, to make your own choices, your own decisions, and to succeed or fail in your endeavors, based on your OWN personal choices, not theirs. Always support the people that have made investments in your products; your REAL customers so to speak of.

Don't let the tire kickers ideas and opinions affect how you design and market your products, or run your business. (For those that don't know - a tire kicker is a supposed customer who walks into a car lot; test drives the car, says he would love to buy it now, if only it were in red or blue or lime green - whatever color is not on the lot, drives the salesman crazy struggling to please him or her, then, doesn't buy anyway). Beware the tire kickers - there are lots of them. And they are not your REAL customers to begin with.

And never forget that great old American saying - Opinions are like A**holes -
Everybody's got one. Goodbye and have a nice day.

Rex

Rex, I bought one, it didn't work for me therefore I no longer own one, simples. Being provocative isn't smart mate... :ner:

highstream
10-05-2013, 17:23
rxjr, I'm afraid your cynicism has gotten in the way of accurately assessing the recent discussion that set off Stan's ire. In fact, one of my "pertinent" questions, as someone put it, was about switching, which it now seems you could have provided some useful thoughts. When one is too far away to take a test drive, as I am (and apparently you are), then "kicking the tires" with questions like mine are all one has.

MartinT
10-05-2013, 17:42
It was Marco's heavily modified Technics deck with Ortofon SPU, Croft Charisma X phono amp into a fairly ordinary sound card (EMU 0202) using Adobe Audition into a mac. Standard 16/44 file format in WAV, then converted to FLAC using XLD.

Thanks, David. I wasn't far off!

rxjr
10-05-2013, 18:06
To synsei and highstream and to others whose sensibilities I may have injured in some fashion or manner: So sorry - did not mean to be provocative or cynical in my remarks. Being married to a woman, who has run her own business for the last 25 years; was just sharing with StanB, some of our real life experiences with customers in the course of running our business. Those tidbits were meant to be food for thought for StanB, which of course, he or anybody else for that matter, could use or discard, as they see fit.

Just keeping it real folks.

Rex

Marco
10-05-2013, 18:09

Glad to have been of service, Martin! One wonders what results would be achievable if something rather better than (I agree) "a fairly ordinary sound card" were introduced into the equation...? ;)

Marco.

synsei
10-05-2013, 18:24
To synsei and highstream and to others whose sensibilities I may have injured in some fashion or manner: So sorry - did not mean to be provocative or cynical in my remarks. Being married to a woman, who has run her own business for the last 25 years; was just sharing with StanB, some of our real life experiences with customers in the course of running our business. Those tidbits were meant to be food for thought for StanB, which of course, he or anybody else for that matter, could use or discard, as they see fit.

Just keeping it real folks.

Rex

Please don't fret Rex, I can assure you my sensibilities were not offended in the slightest ;)

magiccarpetride
10-05-2013, 19:35

The above is an example illustrating that talent and passion don't necessarily come with monetary value attached to them. Your work speaks for itself, Stan. How are you going to monetize it is strictly up to you.

Xaval
10-05-2013, 21:34
I should say that I have performed the following mods, so my SQ comments should be taken with that understanding:

Touch: EDO (Enhanced Digital Output) module, all unnecessary functions shut down, screen off, Paul Hynes PR3 PSU
Bushmaster: Latest async firmware, diode removal, Paul Hynes PR3i PSU
Can you please report what were your findings after the diode removal? What impact did it have on the DACs performance?

highstream
11-05-2013, 01:56
Just keeping it real folks. Rex
Not provocative, just not helpful - you could have spoken to my initial post's question about switching (or didn't you bother to read what the discussion was about?). The repeated phrase about opinions is pure cynicism - and not very self reflective: what about your opinions, should Stan treat them like another a-h*** too? I wish Stan had the confidence in his product and humility about his work to let it speak for itself. He could then answer factual questions and comments about product ideas and problems, and leave the opinions to open discussion by the other participants. While I don't think there's a clique atmosphere here, in part exemplified by people calling him out, his bullying behavior is that of which cliques (and cults) are commonly forged (as well as not being very good salesmanship).

rxjr
11-05-2013, 05:38
Ahh - my heart goes out to poor StanleyB - a hard working and talented design engineer and businessman, who in these pages, has been accused of almost everything, from being an arrogant, self centered, self serving aggrandizing bully whose only crime, as far as I can see, is to produce and manufacture, a great sounding piece of audio gear (I think this opinion is shared by a lot of people in this forum) at a bargain basement price to boot. Of course, he has the right, to defend his product and his design philosophy, from what may seem to him, unreasonable views and opinions about his creation (the Bushmaster can't be any good cause it's cheap - or at its price, too many compromises were done to achieve that price point). The Bushmaster is, what it is. Take it for what its worth. Whether one likes or dislikes his product, consumers always have their choice, oftentimes voting with their feet and wallet. I for one am thankful for the Bushmaster, as I find it a great performing and excellent sounding unit , at a very affordable price. Thus, a true high end bargain, in my book.

When I first ventured into the world of High End audio in the 1990's, I initially got mesmerized and enchanted, by the great sound of these extremely expensive units, saving up and later purchasing, some of these expensive creations for my personal use. $20,000.00 power amps, $10,000.00 CD transports, $15,000.00 DACs, $2,500.00 cassette players, $10,000.00 speakers, $1,000.00 designer speaker cables and interconnects - I went through this whole phase, expending loads of time and money, chasing that ever changing, continually elusive, straight wire with gain, design philosphy that the high end reviewers and designers continually espouse and preach to its customers. Only to be disappointed with my current purchases, because the new year brought even better, even more expensive versions of the best amps, best speakers, best cables, etc... a non-stop roller coaster of an audio ride. This ever ongoing chase for audio excellence and perfection stopped, when I had the chance to listen, to a Demo set of audio note speakers (arguably colored due to cabinet vibrations as stated by hi-end reviewers), powered by a flea powered single ended 300B amp by cary audio for the measly sum of $2,500.00. I wanted to purchase these units, but my wife, finally put her foot down and so ended my audio adventures, for the time being.

Being much older (with lighter pockets) and much wiser (hopefully), I have arrived at the following conclusions:

That there is really NO such thing as a straight wire with gain (A high end design Philosophy) - If this was really true, then all amps, Preamps, CD players and DACs, when opened up, would only contain a single piece of wire, and nothing else. That's the basic truth. So, if any of your units contain circuit boards, volume pots, resistors, capacitors, etc... Then, it is not a straight wire with gain.

And finally, the only real opinion that counts, is your opinion of your audio system, warts and all. Enjoy it for what it is, and every once in a while, be thankful for the emergence of a true audio gem, like the Beresford Bushmaster.

Oh, and by the way, my statement about: Opinions are like A**holes, everybody's got one, also applies to me and my posts. Thank you and have a good night.

Rex

synsei
11-05-2013, 06:00
Generally I agree with you Rex, the BM sounds fabulous and it is testament to Stan's design skills that he has produced a real gem of a giant killer in regards to sound quality. If only he'd matched those dizzy heights when designing the interface then the Bushmaster would be perfect pretty much. I'm a huge believer in the philosophy of K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid). I think the Bushmaster would benefit greatly from a return to the original input select system used on earlier Beresford products. As you say though Rex, it is my opinion and I do not expect everyone to agree with it, in fact I would be disappointed if they did ;)

StanleyB
11-05-2013, 06:08
Ahh - my heart goes out to poor StanleyB - a hard working and talented design engineer and businessman, who in these pages, has been accused of almost everything, from being an arrogant, self centered, self serving aggrandizing bully whose only crime, as far as I can see, is to produce and manufacture, a great sounding piece of audio gear (I think this opinion is shared by a lot of people in this forum) at a bargain basement price to boot.
I would say that your summary is in line with that expressed by many others.
But these negative impressions are only expressed by a select few. The majority of contributors have been more than supportive :).

jajh2204
11-05-2013, 07:01
Hey All,

Ive been enjoying the BM for about 8 months or so with my Naim amp & KEF XQ5 speakers and it sounds gorgeous :)

Quick question (not sure if this has been asked in any other of the threads) what headphones are you using with the Bushmaster??

I am looking to buy my first decent set of on or over the ear cans and wondered what brand/model would be a great match and bring out the best from the BM.

:stalks:

Fi-Wi
11-05-2013, 07:33
Jason,try the What headphones are you using with the Bushmaster? (http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21031) topic.

jajh2204
11-05-2013, 08:03
Jason,try the What headphones are you using with the Bushmaster? (http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21031) topic.

Thought the question must have asked before!! :doh:

Canetoad
11-05-2013, 08:07
Not provocative, just not helpful - you could have spoken to my initial post's question about switching (or didn't you bother to read what the discussion was about?). The repeated phrase about opinions is pure cynicism - and not very self reflective: what about your opinions, should Stan treat them like another a-h*** too? I wish Stan had the confidence in his product and humility about his work to let it speak for itself. He could then answer factual questions and comments about product ideas and problems, and leave the opinions to open discussion by the other participants. While I don't think there's a clique atmosphere here, in part exemplified by people calling him out, his bullying behavior is that of which cliques (and cults) are commonly forged (as well as not being very good salesmanship).

No offence Gene, but it seems to me that you want a guarantee that the Bushmaster will be exactly what you expect it to be. You've been given positive opinions from others here who own and use one (some warts and all) and effectively tossed them aside because you don't want to trust their judgement. Get over it! Buy one and try it or move on...

seoirse2002
11-05-2013, 08:59
No offence Gene, but it seems to me that you want a guarantee that the Bushmaster will be exactly what you expect it to be. You've been given positive opinions from others here who own and use one (some warts and all) and effectively tossed them aside because you don't want to trust their judgement. Get over it! Buy one and try it or move on...

++1

rxjr
11-05-2013, 17:39
to Canetoad and Seoirse2002 - Such insightful observations - so very apt for this discussion. You can lead the horse to water but cannot make it drink from it, or words to that effect. You have hit the nail right on the head. Hurray!!!

Rex

highstream
11-05-2013, 19:32
A post yesterday favorable to the sound of the 7530 finds it very poor in handling input switching, unlike a previous Beresford model. So, you want me "get over it" and buy a device from 5000 miles away that apparently doesn't even meet my first criteria! I could say something nasty here, but I suspect you just don't recall.

I make no apologies for asking a few questions key to my ears and experience, and for being a sensitive reader and listener. That means paying attention to what's said, what's not said, how it's said (terminology), who's saying it (including what else they say), and what the comparisons are. And in the case of this Beresford forum, I thankfully get to read the comments of the developer. His bullying, ignorant, demagogic posts alone are a *sure* indicator that he doesn't want the substantive choices and compromises he made mentioned, discussed or analyzed publicly, at least not in this forum. And yet those go to the heart of the matter when looking at units on the lower price end of the market, especially sight unseen. So, whatever the sound of the BM - and reading on and between the lines I suspect it's on the cool or dry or "clinical" side, which is not my taste - a little maturity and experience teach that the best way to "get over" someone like that is to steer clear. After all, there are decent alternatives out there.

Time to move on. Thanks for all the considered thoughts. If you have any other "Dac for TV" ideas, please head over to my thread at http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=443621#post443621.

Gene

MartinT
11-05-2013, 22:42
You're out of order, Gene, on several fronts. Firstly, on the sound of the Bushmaster, we've given you enough real-life experience to surely draw a better conclusion than "it's on the cool or dry or clinical side". That is NOT what the BM does when you feed it a good quality source (not with iTunes or mp3 sourced crap).

Secondly, the BM is an inexpensive device - in fact it's damned cheap. Do you think that many of us had a listen first? No, we took a flyer on it (some of us knowing how good the Caiman was) on the basis that it would hardly be the end of the world had it proven pants, and you could resell it and gain a substantive part of the cost back. So taking a flyer, after all the feedback you've been given, seems the best thing to do. Your distance is irrelevant, we've nearly all ordered it and received it by distance selling no matter where we live. I have done likewise with American components.

Thirdly, you should try reading what Stan has been saying: providing direct forum-based support is highly brave and unusual and only a few vendors do it (PS Audio in your country are another excellent example) and all who do it experience a great number of critical and fickle customers who don't know when feedback turns into downright inappropriate levels of expectation. As a customer, I have found Stan very open to feedback because I have kept my dealings with him on an appropriate level of expectation and, frankly, I have been polite.

pete_mac
11-05-2013, 23:29
Firstly, on the sound of the Bushmaster, we've given you enough real-life experience to surely draw a better conclusion than "it's on the cool or dry or clinical side". That is NOT what the BM does when you feed it a good quality source (not with iTunes or mp3 sourced crap).

The Bushmaster was fed with the same high quality digital front end and high quality files as all of the other DACs during my review/shootout, so my own personal perception of slight dryness shouldn't be attributed to a crap system or crap files.

rxjr
11-05-2013, 23:31
Quoting from Highstream's Post: A post yesterday favorable to the sound of the 7530 finds it very poor in handling input switching, unlike a previous Beresford model. So, you want me "get over it" and buy a device from 5000 miles away that apparently doesn't even meet my first criteria! I could say something nasty here, but I suspect you just don't recall.

I make no apologies for asking a few questions key to my ears and experience, and for being a sensitive reader and listener. That means paying attention to what's said, what's not said, how it's said (terminology), who's saying it (including what else they say), and what the comparisons are. And in the case of this Beresford forum, I thankfully get to read the comments of the developer. His bullying, ignorant, demagogic posts alone are a *sure* indicator that he doesn't want the substantive choices and compromises he made mentioned, discussed or analyzed publicly, at least not in this forum. And yet those go to the heart of the matter when looking at units on the lower price end of the market, especially sight unseen. So, whatever the sound of the BM - and reading on and between the lines I suspect it's on the cool or dry or "clinical" side, which is not my taste - a little maturity and experience teach that the best way to "get over" someone like that is to steer clear. After all, there are decent alternatives out there.

Come on folks, you gotta agree that this is the BEST, UNBIASED REVIEW of stereo equipment that the reviewer NEVER had. What better way to review a piece of audio gear than never SEEING it in the first place (lest that pretty faceplate pray tricks on your mind), and of course, One must NEVER listen to it (lest the ear be fooled by the sweet sound of its siren song).

The big BONUS here, on top of the above, is a complete review not only of the unit itself , but a COMPLETE REVIEW of the designer/manufacturer himself, containing descriptive, insightful, well chosen words such as "bullying, ignorant, demagogic".

This is a FIRST in the annals of Equipment Reviews. How can the likes of Stereophile, the Absolute Sound, Hi-Fi Choice and other stereo rags TOP this. They have been out-Scooped. I believe we have just seen the start of something new. A pinnacle achievement in this day and age. The dawn of a new day in equipment reviews - or to put it more simply - Unbiased Stereo Equipment Reviews without the equipment, plus a candid review of the manufacturer himself. You've seen and read about it here first folks - on the AOS Forum. Now, TOP that Stereophile. I remain (tongue in cheek, cynical and hysterically yours).

Rex
(PS: I'm sure I'll be getting some flak for writing this, but I just couldn't resist - I'll rely on the old standard journalistic excuse when writings like this are flagged -The devil made me do it). Enjoy and hope your get a good laugh out of it as I did.

Hysterically yours,

Rex

synsei
12-05-2013, 03:15
Talk about losing the plot... :doh:

GOD: "AND WHAT IS THIS STANLEY???"

Stanley: "It is a Golden DAC your eminence..."

GOD: "AND WHY HAVE YOU BUILT SUCH A THING WHEN I HAVE STRICTLY FORBIDDEN THE BUILDING OF SUCH IDOLS FOR UNDER ONE THOUSAND POUNDS"

Stanley: Because the people wanted to be reminded of your magnificence your worship, and besides, my sado-masochistic side requires that I be fed a strict diet of cynical questions about how it can be so good for so little, and whether it knows what is outside the box ...and how many ...in perpetuity :eyebrows:

Stanley: I've cocked up haven't I?

GOD: STANLEY, GO AND STAND IN THAT BURNING BUSH AND MARVEL AT THE SOUNDS OF CHOIRS OF ANGELS PUMMELLING YOU WITH BLISS IN PURE LOSSLESS AUDIO (24BIT/192KHZ) WHILE YOU ATONE FOR YOUR SINS...

barry-potter
12-05-2013, 08:19
Come on folks, you gotta agree that this is the BEST, UNBIASED REVIEW of stereo equipment that the reviewer NEVER had.

agreed. although we have something similar where some of our journalists make up stories and attribute quotes that weren't said.

i suggest a new part of the forum to cater for reviews on items that haven't been heard.

as for the bm, i suggest that you are all wrong. it seems to me that the most worthless question involved here is others opinions of 'how does it sound?'. the only question worth asking is 'how does it sound in my room with my equipment and with my ears?'

Canetoad
12-05-2013, 08:40
A post yesterday favorable to the sound of the 7530 finds it very poor in handling input switching, unlike a previous Beresford model. So, you want me "get over it" and buy a device from 5000 miles away that apparently doesn't even meet my first criteria! I could say something nasty here, but I suspect you just don't recall.

Time to move on. Thanks for all the considered thoughts. If you have any other "Dac for TV" ideas, please head over to my thread at http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=443621#post443621.

Gene

You strike me as a bit of a "tyre kicker" Gene. If you want to know what the BM is like in your system you know what you need to do. Don't you?

StanleyB
12-05-2013, 09:21
You strike me as a bit of a "tyre kicker" Gene. If you want to know what the BM is like in your system you know what you need to do. Don't you?
I certainly wouldn't want to sell him a BM. But his ranting and show of "superiority in character" has done my sales no harm :). I think many people can identify a negative shill when they see the writing of one.

Ammonite Audio
12-05-2013, 10:42
................... as for the bm, i suggest that you are all wrong. it seems to me that the most worthless question involved here is others opinions of 'how does it sound?'. the only question worth asking is 'how does it sound in my room with my equipment and with my ears?'

Quite so! Also, people should understand and remember that everyone's ears and auditory systems are different, so we need to add brains and neural bits and pieces to the room and equipment recipe.

The BM is inexpensive so, as Martin has already pointed out, there is little risk in just buying one and trying it out at home.

rxjr
12-05-2013, 18:28
Wholeheartedly agree with all the recent posts. This reaffirms my belief that there still is hope for all of humanity. There's nothing like a good old discussion to get the creative writing juices flowing. There's a lesson to be learned here folks - whatever it is, I'll be the first to let you know when I figure it out (or if I ever figure it out).

hysterically yours,

Rex

DuncanHynes
23-04-2014, 04:31
Hey All,

Ive been enjoying the BM for about 8 months or so with my Naim amp & KEF XQ5 speakers and it sounds gorgeous :)

Quick question (not sure if this has been asked in any other of the threads) what headphones are you using with the Bushmaster??

I am looking to buy my first decent set of on or over the ear cans and wondered what brand/model would be a great match and bring out the best from the BM.

:stalks:

Hey I just sat down to listen to my BM 7530 (first gen?) and saw this question. I have only 2 sets of higher end headphones, both worlds apart but absolutely stunning IMO for the money. My go-to's are Vmoda Crossfade M-100's. I tried the LP's cheaper, yes but limited in range and too pre-equalized if there is such a thing. M-100's are really great for rock, pop higher energy stuff, REALLY great. Bass is only there if you tune them that way, no thumpy junk. The range is wide open with great 'highs' that are clean etc,... And at only 16ohm they can get LOUD. If you like movies or classical, banjo, bagpipes, soundtracks, absolute ACCURACY, again for the money as I don't have $2,000 to spend on this hobby...I also have a set of Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro's. They are GREAT for said genres, again IMHO. Mine are 250ohm if I recall. The BM does wonderful, just turn up the power and they shine. Sorry it's been sometime since you asked. Just say'n. :)

mudan
18-06-2016, 12:20
Been a long time since I've been here but... I've now moved from the M-DAC to the M-DAC+ and this is a clear upgrade in sound in every way! A well deserved 'Editors Choice' in HFC, 2 great reviews in HI-FI World and Hi-Fi News so if anyone is wondering which way to go under £1k I'd say M-DAC+ for sure!

I believe the Bushmaster is able to be priced low due to the limited number of components used, however in Hi-Fi this can work to advantage with a more direct signal path and through careful component selection you can end up with great results as we have here. Audio wise the bushmaster is a fine choice along with plenty of inputs(exc USB!) and an enjoyable headphone amp. Had I not had my disagreements over the sleep feature I'd still have one today. I liked the sound that much(see my earlier review) that I even ordered the Mark Grant psu within a few days!

I now have my m-dac so from memory I'm comparing a Bushmaster at £335(Inc linear psu +extra S-Booster) For those who have not upgraded the psu I think it really is an essential upgrade. The extra S-Booster also helps - once I'd heard it I couldn't be without it. Out of the box the m-dac sounded more neutral and impressive but I had a feeling I was hearing a veil due to all those extra components - there's a lot crammed in there! Have to admit I was a bit worried but after more running in it has really opened out and is a clear upgrade imho over the Bushmaster. I got the mdac at a promo price of £500 so at £165 extra I'm very happy. This was hifi choice's best DAC and best product of the year for 2012 and I can see why. It extracts an amazing amount of detail.
(And yes Hifi choice have heard the Bushmaster)

reddave
29-06-2016, 11:03
Been a long time since I've been here but... I've now moved from the M-DAC to the M-DAC+ and this is a clear upgrade in sound in every way! A well deserved 'Editors Choice' in HFC, 2 great reviews in HI-FI World and Hi-Fi News so if anyone is wondering which way to go under £1k I'd say M-DAC+ for sure!

M-DAC+ @ 800 folders
Caiman Mk2 @ 200 folders, 12v battery 30 folders
I don't have either, but if sound quality is 90% of the Mdac, haven't you just proved stan's point regarding paying over the odds for a product ?