PDA

View Full Version : Beresford Bushmaster DAC Reviews

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

StanleyB
31-01-2013, 18:52
:worthless:

rxjr
31-01-2013, 20:12
Based on my somewhat enthusiastic and glowing reviews, which heaped high praise on the Qinpu A6000 MKII tube amp and the Beresford Bushmaster DAC, I would like to set the record straight.

NO, I am not a SHILL for these products. They were purchased, both of them retail from from Amazon and Beresford. My wife and I have no connection whatsoever, with any of these products or companies.

My reviews were based solely on my listening perceptions and evaluations of these products. My musings on the above products were purely a desire, for me, to share with readers of these forums, what I consider to be great sounding products, which cost so little, yet give so much musical enjoyment, that it would be a sin, in my view, not to let others know. Take it for what it's worth and let your ears be the judge. I call them as I see or listen to them.

I also have in my possession, the french made Battery Operated NOS DAC (Non-oversampling DAC) which I am still breaking in; Additionally, I have also ordered the chinese made SMSL 398 DAC, which I am still awaiting receipt of. Once i have listened to them, I may, depending on my mood, share my findings, and listening experiences with readers of this forum.

Rex

Alex_UK
31-01-2013, 20:42
Rex - hope I haven't offended you - just "having a laugh" as we say over here - great if you are an enthusiastic customer, and you certainly have a very sound basis for comparison (pun intended!) You'll get used to me - eventually, but all in good spirit! :)

StanleyB
31-01-2013, 20:49
NO, I am not a SHILL for these products. They were purchased, both of them retail from from Amazon and Beresford. My wife and I have no connection whatsoever, with any of these products or companies.
Hi Rex, don't take it that serious ;). I remember selling you the DAC. But you probably hadn't figure out that I am the same person who designs and sells the Beresford Bushmaster DAC :).

rxjr
31-01-2013, 22:13
No offense taken. Was so taken aback and pleasantly surprised by what I consider to be great strides and improvements provided by the Qinpu A6000 MKII and the Beresford Bushmaster; at what I consider to be, such ridiculously low prices, that prompted my great enthusiasm for these products.

Yes, StanB, I do know and am fully aware, that you are the creator of the famous (infamous) Bushmaster. I will eagerly await the next iteration of this great sounding piece of audio gear. Wish list on next gen Bushmaster: Addition of RCA inputs (at least two); volume control that functions as preamp controls; USB inputs; retain headphone jack; while of course, retaining the clean, lively dynamic sound of its predecessor; A Bushmaster sort of Preamp; all of this (or more) for the sensibly, ridiculously low, penny pinching price, your gear is known for. A challenge for you indeed.

I opened my mail just moments ago, and there it was. The Sbooster from Mark Grant cables, UK. I have it hooked up to the Bushmaster and am currently playing music through it- breaking it in, so to speak. Initial listening (not critical) sessions sound very promising indeed. Will provide comments on the Sbooster Bushmaster combo versus the Incredicharge 18,000 mah rechargeable battery that I purchased from Amazon for use in charging my Iphones and Ipads, Hp tablets and Laptops. The Incredicharge rechargeable battery pack was pressed into service in powering the Bushmaster, only because I already had it and my desire to see (hear) any differences between the ac mains Bushmaster power supply vs battery power. Will let you know results, when sufficient listening sessions are finished and compiled. Will comment at that time.

rex

synsei
06-02-2013, 23:47
The Beresford Bushmaster ~ Pure Gold... I shall expand on this more once I have peeled myself off the ceiling :D

mikseymono
08-02-2013, 10:08
Hello fellow DAC peeps.

So, my shiny new Beresford Bushmaster DAC arrived yesterday. It took less than four days from order to doorstep....considering where I live and the more than vague 'postcodes' we have here I would say that was pretty impressive, bordering miracle status.

Anyhows, plugged it in to Cambridge Audio 640c (transport) into Cambridge Audio 640 Amp into B&W 685's (I know,fairly 'low-fi' amongst this forum).....couldn't help it but put in Pink Floyd, Delicate Sound of Thunder.

Now bearing in mind I had spent close to £200 and it looks pretty natty coupled with all the anticipation/reviews I had to control myself and give it a harsh critical listen...to be on the fence so to speak. Ignore all Emperors new clothes and all that.

Having only ever owned a cheap Fiio DAC (which was pretty good, until it died on me) I had nothing else to compare it to but powered it up.............drum roll......

I can only liken the experience to that of, you know when you in an aeroplane and your ears go fuzzy with the pressure and then they suddenly equalise and everything is then really open and sharp. Well thats what we have here. I had to rewind a few tracks and listen again as there was so much more to take in than before, so many more instruments and dynamic placement that I had to make sure it wasn't me. But yes, they were there in abundance, clear and punchy, a far broader spectrum of sound that I have not experienced with my set up before.

I did the usual comparison of Apple Lossless files and then the same CD and have to say on the whole, the CD sounded better. Maybe my ripping, on an old Macbook and the Apple Lossless format contra a good ripper into FLAC is just not quite up to it. Certain tunes such as Welcome to the cruel world, Ben Harper sound pretty darn good in Apple Lossless format as well as similar genre which are generally cleaner, i.e less intruments, sound fairly ace. Movies, fed from Apple tv 1 modded with Broadcom Card and general TV stuff also leap out at you. Darn it's good....how did I cope before?! There is now so much more detail that I was missing before.

So onto the main reviewer, My Wife...(Wi-fi)...she is super critical of me spending anything remotely hi-fi related...but understands my needs, so long as she can have another pair of shoes....ahem......I put on her fave Avalon, Roxy Music in CD format which she listen for a full one minute and she said it sounded amazing. At that, I stopped the CD and sent her off to the supermarket, for the weekly shop. Test over. Harsh, but she doesn't procrastinate and pontificate like me, she'll listen and then give it the the critical marks out of ten straight away

So thats it.

Now, I know that my set up is fairly low-fi but at least it is a start and this DAC has certainly improved the sound, full stop, which is what it is all about.

However, and this is surely going to be the problem for all of us, this is now the normal, par for the score sound and after a while will I be hoping for something better? Right? I think in this instance, I'll cash my chips in buy a few more cd's, dust down all the old cd's and just enjoy..................at least for the moment anyway :carrot:

Stanley Beresford, take a bow.

Thank you.

Yours,

Michael

Rare Bird
09-02-2013, 14:24
Any chance of a USB version materializing at all Stan?

Does the silver one have chrome select press button,Hedphone bezel & volume control trim, if so would it be possible to have the chrome fittings with the Black fasia as my OCD has issues with Gold!

:D

StanleyB
09-02-2013, 15:21
Any chance of a USB version materializing at all Stan?

Maybe, maybe not :ner:

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/aos/TC-7531R2.jpg

Does the silver one have chrome select press button,Hedphone bezel & volume control trim, if so would it be possible to have the chrome fittings with the Black fasia as my OCD has issues with Gold!

You aren't asking for much, are you :scratch:?

Rare Bird
09-02-2013, 15:31
You aren't asking for much, are you :scratch:?

No not really, so is it possible Stan?

StanleyB
09-02-2013, 15:37
Possible: yes. Practical: very unlikely. The parts manufacturers want orders of 10K on the pusk buttons and 3K on the headphone sockets. It's easier to rip the standard DAC apart and customize it with the coloured parts as required.

Rare Bird
09-02-2013, 15:43
Your right. Do you think a USB version will appear anytime soon as i need to dump the DAC i'm using with the Laptop at the mo, replace it with one of these Bushmasters.

StanleyB
09-02-2013, 15:49
Your right. Do you think a USB version will appear anytime soon as i need to dump the DAC i'm using with the Laptop at the mo, replace it with one of these Bushmasters.
Testing, testing. one..two ;). But joking aside I am aiming for a June date if possible.

Krisbee
09-02-2013, 15:51
Oh, a Bushmaster DAC with USB. It's not a high res photo, but TC-7531 rev2 looks to have a TENOR USB receiver chip (TE0772?).

Rare Bird
09-02-2013, 15:53
Brilliant Stan The wife can buy me one for my Birthday then :eyebrows:

alan47
09-02-2013, 18:17
Looks like just what i need for when the SB Touch goes tits up and i have to go back to the netbook. :eek:

rxjr
09-02-2013, 23:55
How about a Bushmaster with additional 2 pairs of RCA inputs, USB, volume control for headphones and RCA outs. A Bushmaster DAC preamp which would retain or improve on the sound of the current Bushmaster, with a fair price to boot. Should this become available, I'm in.

Rex

synsei
10-02-2013, 00:48
From my Gallery thread:

This is the other substantial addition to the system this week. From what others have said elsewhere about Stan's little marvel I was confident beforehand that the BM would outperform the Caiman, but what I was not prepared for was by how much. The BM really is a staggeringly capable piece of equipment in every respect and in my opinion qualifies to be called a statement product. I hope Stan is rightfully proud of his little baby because his design prowess is evident throughout.

One of the things that disappointed me about the Caiman from the off was the poor quality of its headphone output, particularly so because I purchased a pair of Superlux 668B headphones before the Caiman was delivered to take advantage of it. Despite coming pre-fitted with a Gator board I have never been happy with the resulting SQ therefore the headphones have remained more or less unused for over two years. The headphone section of the BM redresses the balance in spades. I had no idea the Superlux's were such a capable product until yesterday evening and I have lost count of the number of albums I listened to, or for that matter what time it was when I eventually packed down to sleep. Never have I experienced a soundstage so wide and so deep through headphones. Listening to the second track on Third Worlds self-titled debut album, which contains a live, outdoor recording of tribal drums, you are suddenly transported to the African plains. All around you are the voices and general banter of African tribes people and right in front of you a fire is crackling away as the sound of feet swishing and dancing over the dusty ground underpins the entire scene, real movie magic for the ears is this.

The synergy that currently exists in this system is a joy to behold and if I was not quite so ill I would be very proud to show it off at Scalford Hall where I am absolutely certain it would turn quite a few heads. The unbelievable part is that I have achieved all this for relatively little outlay, some judicious wheeler dealing and the good grace of friends and members on this fine forum, and of that I think we can all be rightfully proud...

daveyboy
11-02-2013, 00:07
Hi folks, I haven't ventured on here for ages but to my shock, my new laptop does not have a s/pdif connection so in trying to find a solution to that (to connect to my modded 7510). To my shock my laptop has neither optical nor ps/pdif when I came across the Bushmaster aha, I thought, I will utilise usb but nope, I can't do that either :( ah what is a fella to do? I have a feeling that that the modded 7510 and the 7520 aren't too far apart so I don't want to invest in the usb 7520.

MartinT
11-02-2013, 07:23
Get a USB to S/PDIF adapter. You can find them on eBay.

StanleyB
11-02-2013, 12:25
I have a feeling that that the modded 7510 and the 7520 aren't too far apart so I don't want to invest in the usb 7520.
There are many TC-7510 owners out there who'll tell you that the TC-7510 is better than the TC-7520, and even better than many far more expensive DACs.

Look into the Teralink X2 USB converter.

slate
11-02-2013, 22:17
... To my shock my laptop has neither optical nor ps/pdif...

Some laptops have a S/PDIF hidden in their mini-Jack; if that is the case you need an adapter for that

Xaval
05-03-2013, 23:43
Hi, I recently registered on this board and I just wanted to let Mr. Stanley know how much I appreciate the Bushmaster.

I've listened to a lot of gear (really a lot!) over the years and although there are great sounding DACs in the market, I think the Bushmaster is really something special. I bought it used with the Venom upgrade on a whim as the price was just right and I was needing a new DAC for listening with headphones with one of my computers and... well, it sounds spectacular. Thank you and I'm looking forward to listening to your "creations" yet to come.

I'm listening to the Oblivion soundtrack (yes, the PC Game) right now and it's so enveloping and full of light that it almost sounds magical.

I've posted this on another forum:
First impressions for the Bushmaster with venom upgrade (it's optimized for LCD2, which I don't own)
Mac Pro > Audirvana Plus > el cheapo optical cable > several Grados family members, all modded; HD600; modded HFI780 (Stax but that's another story and rig)
Music listened was mostly Classic Rock, Prog Rock/Metal, Classic Jazz. Mostly lossless ALAC, but ripped a few tracks in AAC @250ish and 192.

Pros: Very, very detailed; Fast paced; Amazing bass: articulate, textured, impactful; excellent for voices: you can hear voices as clearly as I have ever been able to, amazing; drumming in general is excellent as well as most instruments in general -> great timbre and loads of texture!; macrodynamics are incredible. It retrieves a lot of around the scene info since all audible cues that were captured by the mic just pop out of nowhere; Transparent. Great case/faceplate combo for the price; Apparently a linear PSU will improve a lot of things I hear and I plan on getting one as they can be had for not a lot of cash (this will lower the bang for the buck factor, though)

Not as good: Not a lot of air on the highs (not a lot of air in general, but this is not a sissy's music DAC as it's very engaging); Can sound congested in complex music; Microdynamics seem a couple of rows behing if this makes sense; Hot upper mids which can make Grados sound a bit tiring, but hey... it's a Grado (which I love too much); In your ears sound: little soundstage; Lossy music sounds... lossy when looking at redbook; Bad mastering sounds just like that; Volume control feels a bit flimsy; Not great at low listening levels as channel imbalance kicks in (no biggie for me)

Cons: analog RCA outs are too close for some of my ICs. Wireworld Gold Eclipse connectors barely fit... but they cost several times the Bush.

Last note: The HD600 (old drivers, stock cable) sound really amazing with this puppy. The HFI780 bass is the best I ever got out of anything with them.

Overall: Sounds like an amazing product for the price. Unbelievable, really, how little cash can get you so much overall quality.

There seems to be something different with the sound coming out of this DAC and I still need for it to sink in. It sounds different of what I'm mostly used to listening and it's disconcerting not being able to pinpoint what it is. I posted those impressions with no preparation and I wrote that it sounds transparent and also a bit hot on upper mids. It's this part I'm having trouble with... I think :)

I've plugged it onto the Audiolab transport into the Jadis off the Headtap - not factoring in the exotic cables and tubes, there's a rather large price difference with the transport and a huge one with the amp and the disconcerting (great sound) is even better - this is a great achievment for the guy who built this. Funny how there seems to be very little headstage with headphones but with the big Dunlavy's there's a huge wall of sound all around. I wouldn't have noticed this not-so-good aspect if I were using only the loudspeakers.

Note: Although not all is amazing with it's sound (I believe I may have my own faults:)), in no way it compromises the pleasure of listening to music with this source.

synsei
06-03-2013, 09:57
Amazing performance for so little cash but completely ruined for me by poorly implemented source selection code resulting in source hunting and occasional freeze ups, which require a power down/power up cycle to clear.

Xaval
06-03-2013, 10:42
I'm sorry to hear that synsei - maybe a firmware update could sort that problem out?
I see no interface on the back of the device for a clean update so I guess it would involve a chip replacement.
I haven't experienced that specific problem since I connect only one source to each DAC.

synsei
06-03-2013, 10:51
It is a shame Luis. Other than that it is an excellent product but I have two digital sources and the product purports to support four, so it seems a bit remiss to me that users are required to use just one source if they wish for a perfectly functioning DAC. I'd go as far as to say it is a firmware design fault. Removing the auto-selection code from the firmware would go a very long way to solving this issue I feel. I am awaiting the original owner to supply me a return address so that he can have it back as I now have a Rega DAC which fulfils all my needs more than adequately ;)

StanleyB
06-03-2013, 12:35
It is a shame Luis. Other than that it is an excellent product but I have two digital sources and the product purports to support four, so it seems a bit remiss to me that users are required to use just one source if they wish for a perfectly functioning DAC. I'd go as far as to say it is a firmware design fault. Removing the auto-selection code from the firmware would go a very long way to solving this issue I feel.
Your comments are at odds with the facts I am afraid to finally have to say. You asked me if I could modify the firmware for you so that the auto function is disabled. that is exactly what I did. Unfortunately this code hack seems to have affected the normal operation of the firmware. Your original complaint was that if you had two sources playing and you switched from one to another you got a clicking sound at the moment the 2nd source was engaged.
However since then you have given varying accounts of the original situation. None of them has ever made it clear that the firmware that you have in the DAC is not the same as the firmware in the standard DAC. However, readers are led to believe that it is, which is not helpful to me and anyone else reading your complaint.
As for the original owner: he was not too pleased when he found out that you had the firmware modified. I now have to send him a copy of the original one.

synsei
06-03-2013, 16:23
It was a developing situation Stan, which is why my account of what happened has also developed. Please remember dear reader that DAC's and how they operate would not be my chosen subject of expertise on an episode of Mastermind, however like anybody else without a grounding in electronics, I know when something isn't working correctly so Stan's attempt to belittle me is a bit rich.

FACT: The BM was not working properly for me from the time I first set it up...

FACT: Within a day and a half of receiving it the BM packed up completely (which is why it went back to Stan with Nigel's blessing)...

FACT: Stan informed me that disabling the Auto-Select feature would solve the problem...

I also object to you stating that the original purchaser, Vinylspinner, (who isn't the original purchaser incidentally, that would be Martinh) is angry with me for having the unit "modified" when in fact you stated to me on the phone that this would fix the problems I was experiencing, therefore I bowed to your superior knowledge and agreed to have the work done. If what you say is true and Nigel is angry with me for sending the DAC back to you for repair (at my expense incidentally, that's nearly twenty pounds, ten pounds each for the outbound and inbound postage) then he should have said so at the time as I was in contact with him, and not got you to do his dirty work for him. Bearing in mind I agreed to pay Nigel £160 for a second hand BM, with the money I have already paid out in postage, I would in fact have paid full retail price for this machine had I continued with the deal. As it is, including yet another tenner in postal charges to return the unit to Nigel, I will be thirty pounds out of pocket because of somebody else's problem by the end of all this :(

Theadmans
06-03-2013, 16:29
All I can say is that I am delighted with the Bushmaster and the standard of service from Stanley.

I love the sound quality of the Bushmaster and the headphone amp is a real bonus to me as I have been able to retire my Little Dot III Headphone Amp to a bedroom system (using just the Bushmaster to drive my Sennheiser HD650s in my main lounge rig).

Over last weekend my DAC started misbehaving on source selection. I basically couldn't get it to change source. I rang Stanley on Monday morning and by Tuesday he had sent me a new Firmware Chip. I slotted in the new chip and hey presto everything was working nicely again.

Stanley has advised that I switch off the DAC after use as the source selection problem is - he believes - temperature related. I use Sleep Mode so with no tell tale LEDs I sometimes forget to turn it off - I must try harder to remember (should help with leccy bills too).

synsei
06-03-2013, 16:41
I am glad you are happy with your BM Adam, this is certainly not how I wanted to handle it but unfortunately I am being singled out as the villain in this and it feels as if I am being told that I should have just put up with the situation. It was a difficult one for me as I was well aware that I was not the original purchaser therefore I was always concious that any support from Stan could be dropped at his whim, and this is exactly what happened. Stan told me to return the BM to Nigel and inform him that he was to send it back to Stan for a full refund.

I should state that money has not changed hands between myself and Nigel as he kindly deferred payment until after Scalford to allow me to recoup some funds after a particularly expensive month. I was due to pay him today incidentally.

Anyway, I have drawn a line under it now and put it down to experience... ;)

rxjr
06-03-2013, 18:56
I've had the Beresford Bushmaster for quite some time and have accidentally discovered a weakness or discrepancy in its otherwise great sounding armor.

I purchased from Amazon an admittedly cheap Ace deal branded Analog to Digital converter (ADC), with both coax and optical outputs, to digitize my cassette collection, using my Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck as source and my custom Modified Pioneer Tangential Straight line Tracking turntable for my vinyl collection.

Source used for testing was my Optimus CD 3400, powered by a custom Dick Sequerra PS1 battery Operated power supply, into the Ace deal ADC, then into the Bushmaster coax or optical inputs for playback. For those interested, or may have questions about this set-up, Stereophile has highly reviewed and commended the Optimus CD 3400 and Dick Sequerra PS1 combination as an arguably excellent, if not great input source for CD playback. For those who may or may not know, Dick Sequerra is the famous manufacturer of the best rated FM tuner on the planet. Period.

When I first used the Ace deal ADC, into the Bushmaster, I got no sound from its coax input and some distortion from its digital input. So I ordered a replacement unit and also purchased an additional Okeba ADC with coax and optical outputs feeding the coax and optical inputs of the Bushmaster.

RESULTS: Good sounds from both ADC units using their Optical outputs into the Bushmaster Optical inputs. However, NO sound when using their coax outs into the Bushmaster coax inputs. Numerous times I tried, still NO sound from the Bushmaster coax inputs.

I then pulled out and tried these combinations with my old trusty Audio Alchemy DAC in a box and the french made Battery NOS (non-oversampling) DAC. Both units played and sounded good with no problems, using both their coax and optical inputs with the two ADC's.

ANALYSIS: There may some anomaly or weakness in the Bushmaster coax input (either hardware or software related) that causes it not to lock onto the 48khz outputs of the 2 ADC's. The Bushmaster Optical inputs, on the other hand, works perfectly fine and sounds great, with no issues. This has placed a damper, on my desire or fantasy of converting my over 40 yr old vinyl and cassette collection into the digital realm.

RESULTS: The Bushmaster is still a great sounding product, and will remain in my system, as my favorite DAC for digital playback. But this anomaly or incompatibility has also led me to look at other ADC/DAC combinations for digitizing my vinyl and cassette collections, which would possibly take the Bushmaster out of the equation.

Namely the NAD PP3i and the Furutech ADL GT40 and Furutech Esprit. All of which contain ADC/DAC within one unit. Owner or users of the above products, your comments and reviews of the above, would be greatly appreciated by one and all. Thanks.

Rex

MartinT
06-03-2013, 20:10
If optical works and co-ax doesn't, it suggests to me that an earth loop may exist.

rxjr
08-03-2013, 00:16
As suggested by member MartinT, tried various grounding schemes, such as grounding the ADC's and Bushmaster,grounding the Coax RCA to the Bushmaster, all of which is easy, since the Bushmaster has a ground connector.

RESULTS: Still NO sound from the 2 ADC's coax outputs into the Bushmaster coax inputs. The 2 ADC's optical outs into the Bushmaster optical inputs works with no issues and sound quite good. So, I still hold my original thesis that there may be an anomaly and/or incompatibility in the Bushmaster coax inputs that may be software of hardware related, that prevents it from locking onto the 48 khz signal from these 2 ADC's. As previously stated, these incompatibility does not occur when using my other 2 DAC's.

I still consider the Bushmaster an excellent DAC, dead silent, highly versatile, dynamic and great sounding. It will always be my preferred DAC for CD playback.

However, to convert my vinyl and cassette collections to digital, I am now looking at various alternatives. Any owners and or users of these units - NAD PP3i, Furutech ADL GT40 or Furutech ESPRIT, your review and comments would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

To: StanleyB - if you are reading this, any thoughts on the Bushmaster incompatibility with the the 2 ADC's which only affect the Coax connections? By the way, the Bushmaster Coax inputs work and sound great with my CD setup. It is only with these 2 ADC's that I encountered the no sound issue. Thanks.

Rex

Peter Galbavy
08-03-2013, 13:20
Sorry if I missed this but do the coax inputs work with any other source without issue?

rxjr
08-03-2013, 15:16
To Peter Galvany: Yes. The Bushmaster Coax and Optical inputs work with my normal CD sources. The No sound issue only comes up when using the the 2 ADC's coax outputs into the Bushmaster coax inputs. This is the only issue I have run across. Otherwise, everything works fine and sounds great.

Still waiting for StanleyB and others to share some thoughts on this issue.

Rex

rxjr
08-03-2013, 15:19
To Peter Galvaby: my apologies for misspelling your last name. comments, anyone?

Rex

rxjr
10-03-2013, 01:54
Mr. Stanley Beresford, thou art a genius. Based on your email, i tried your suggestion of just letting the center pin of the coax cable touch the Beresford DAC coax input. However, this produced no sound. As a last resort, I tried both ends of the coax cable center pin just go into both the ADC's coax output and the Bushmaster coax input. The skies opened, the seas parted, and then there was glorious sound. Thanks for the quick reply and the great advise. Will try to post this whole email exhange between us, so others may utilize this info in the future. thanks again.

Rex

To: rxjr22@comcast.net
Sent: Saturday, March 9, 2013 12:49:48 PM
Subject: Re: Beresford Bushmaster question

Hi Rex,

from your test results it appears that the ADC is probably using a virtual earth internally. The Bushmaster has an isolated earth. When you connect the ADC and Bushmaster you are technically shorting out the virtual earth in the ADC to the isolated earth in the Bushmaster. So the signal from the ADC drops to below the level required for proper detection by the DAC's input receiver.

Try just getting the center pin on your coax cable to go into the Bushmaster coax socket. So the outer section of the coax cable RAC plug should not touch the RCA socket on the Bushmaster. Now try the ADC to see if it works.

As for technical question on issue with any product of mine: it is always best to email me. I am a member of loads of forums, but don't have the luxury of being able to surf the net all the time and read through all the topics. Otherwise I won't have time to develop new stuff, answer emails, and pack and post out orders.

Regards,

Stan

On 09/03/2013 17:15, rxjr22@comcast.net wrote:

To: Mr. Stanley Beresford,

The questions I have are all contained in my posts in The Art of sound forum, page 104 of the Beresford Banter section. Specifically, that when using the 2 ADC's described therein, I get no sound when using these ADC's coax outputs into the Bushmaster coax inputs. These ADC's optical outputs into the Bushmaster optical inputs work fine with no issues and sound great. Coax outputs from my CD players into the Bushmaster coax inputs also work fine, sounding excellent.

Because of the above, my curiosity as to the above anomaly has been aroused. Other forum members have given me advise, but all of which have not resolved the no sound issue. These ADC's output a standard 48khz output via coax. As also stated in the forum post, I have tried these ADC's with my other 2 DACs, they lock onto the signal via coax and optical and play with no problems.

Please understand that I am not in anyway denigrating the Bushmaster. My great admiration, respect for your design prowess, and high regard for the Bushmaster still remains undiminished, as it still is, and will remain, my current all time favorite DAC for digital playback. Any ideas or thoughts from you, about the above issue, would be most greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Rex

MartinT
10-03-2013, 10:58
Heh, heh, glad it's sorted Rex.

jfs
22-03-2013, 01:43
I will never understand electronics or the life of its component parts.
23 days ago, the Bushmaster arrived and being a DAC virgin a) didn't know what to expect and b) had nothing to compare its performance against except previous cd players.
After set up, it sounded ok, warm bottom end and lower midrange, higher frequencies were less exaggerated and harsh sounding than with the Sony 930e being used on its own. Texture of instruments was quite pleasing, timbral quality, well it seemed better but that could have been imagination. It made me smile. After a few days, things improved, the top end opened out and the bottom lost some of its warmth and sounded more textured and all in all more layered. I could imagine now the studio set up and actually hear some of the recording techniques ( if that makes sense ). A nice sound, but not the revelation I was hoping for, although better than the Sony on its own. For £200 or so including a coax lead what should I expect ?.
23 days on, playing minimally 8 hours a day ( just to see if this ' burn in ' phenomena is fallacy ), Well what can I say.
A difference in sound greeted me this evening on switch on, and after 10 minutes warm up, the top end for whatever reason has opened out I would say fully, cymbals, high hats snare, breath tones, instrument decay and resonance absolutely incredible. The bottom end is tight, well defined and well controlled, no euphonics, just pure as it should be lower and lower midrange frequencies, any 'bloom' is down to room resonance. Vocals and acoustic instruments, incredible. Even my wife (happy with a transistor radio) asked if I'd been fiddling again, ' it sounds clear and I can hear things better' (whatever that means).
All this after probably 200 hours of 'burn in' (what is this ?). Pleased you bet I am, and far more than I ever expected, but why all at once and after so long.?
The volume setting is the same, nothing has been 'fiddled' with, the recordings I have played are all well known to me, no components have been changed and yet I now have a sound that betters (to my ears) equipment costing many times more than my own for a relatively small outlay and three weeks of running at 8 hours a day. Incredible.
I've been into hifi since 1972, I don't believe in snake oil, fancy cables or sheets of A4 placed strategically around the room, didn't believe in 'burn in' of electronic components, oh and I still have the same pair of ears that I've always had (although with less acute hearing).
Equipment in use :- Sony cdp930e, Bushmaster, Sugden A21a, JR149 speakers and a BK Gemini mk1 subwoofer (x/over at 51hz).
None of it is high end but what an incredible and involving improvement in sound quality and seemingly all down to the Bushmaster - a new system for £200 !.
I'm very happy with my new toy. :)

MartinT
22-03-2013, 07:01
Nice write-up, John. Burn-in is real, of that I have no doubt.

StanleyB
22-03-2013, 07:40
Burn-in is real, of that I have no doubt.
And my DACs are possibly the world's most notorious piece of audio equipment that can be used to demonstrate this odd phenomena :).

But what you guys have not yet discovered it seems is that the BM does a two way burn in. To demonstrate this secondary burn in you need two systems or at least two amps and/or two sets of speakers. Use the BM in one system for a week or two until there is no more improvements to be heard. Then put the BM in the next system set up and let it play there for another week or two. You are likely to hear the system improve as well over that period.

I happened to have discovered this odd behaviour purely by accident. I have two systems wired up to a TC-7220 audio router. I tend to use them at random so it was not so obvious to me that something strange has been going on. But then one day I decided to try out another amp that I have. As the days went by I noticed that the amp started to sound different. At first I thought that I might have plugged in a different DAC as well, but nope. It was the same one as used with the other systems.

This has had me thinking :scratch:. So far my theory is that the faster pace and lower frequency ability of the BM (it goes down to 1Hz at 0dB :eek:) is somehow causing old caps in the amps and speaker crossovers to be reinvigorated. Maybe those caps were not pushed hard enough before? The introduction of the BM's faster response may well be doing some re-energizing of the caps and possibly even the semiconductors.
All conjectures so far, but I would be interested to find out if anyone noticed the same thing. You might have dismissed it at first, but you may have experienced the same thing that I discovered.

Søren
22-03-2013, 10:12
All this after probably 200 hours of 'burn in' (what is this ?).

Most capacitors are fully charged, and perform their best, after 200 hours. So burn in is real.

jfs
23-03-2013, 01:56
ok, I have to admit that I am a 'burn in' convert. I didn't realise that my small jr's could resolve such detail, then again they have never been presented with a signal to generate the detail I am now hearing.
There be magic afoot, I tell thee magic and wizardry.

mudan
24-03-2013, 01:11
Okay well this is my first post in this AoS forum (excluding Welcome of course!)

I have been in the look out for a new DAC and from all reviews I have seen online, the Bushmaster appealed the most i.e. great performance at a low price and you have a headphone amp thrown in. Initially I was waiting for the USB feature but after learning it would be delayed I could not wait for this upgrade so bought a silver Bushmaster.

As expected, Stan had the item delivered on time and on unboxing the first thing I did was attach RF clamps to the PSU leads. 4 in fact.

Plugged in and I was impressed with the neutrality and detail of the sound but thought it sounded a bit flat - a bit like my Sony CDP-561E(HFC Best Buy) or Revox B226 I used to have years ago but with more detail. Yes it sounded better than my existing Sony SCD player but not quite what I had expected as it had a 'budget' tonality to it. My current Sony is well reviewed and I have been quite happy with it. I left the BM to run in non-stop.

Last night I tried the headphone amp and was very impressed. The bass does tend to thump in a soft and undefined manner at times but overall it sounds very rich, detailed and surprisingly good. My Sennheiser HD650 does not sound as good through my Pioneer A-400. It seems the BM's headphone input within a split second responds to the load put on it in order to optimise the sound- in fact you can hear this sound change taking place. I did also notice a slight low level hum I could hear through my A-400 on my HD650 when the BM psu was plugged in...but this was so low for it not to be audible through my speakers.

Tonight I did further listening through my speakers with the BM having run in around 48 hours. Now the BM sounded more complete. That lack of richness and upper frequency sparkle had gradually disappered leaving a very neutral and natural soundstage full of detail. My Sony use to accentuate upper frequencies adding an unnatural richness but the BM presented a much more accurate picture allowing the midrange to shine through with much better imaging and detail. Switching back and forth confirmed that the BM is distinctly better then my Sony (£800 in 2004). At times it can seem a bit tame but what it produces is a very detailed an convincing sound. It's very neutral and accurate. On SACD my Sony does sound better but that is not so surprising.

So yes I am mightily impressed with the Bushmaster - what an amazing product at a sensible price! I've not compared other DACs in my system but have recently heard a Roksan Caspian and Primare CD21 player through headphones when I chose my HD650 at a local dealer.

I only received it on Wednesday but I like it so much that I want to bring the best out of it so ordered a Mark Grant linear PSU today. I thought the MCRU psu was too expensive at more than the same price of the dac plus didn't fancy having an extra box sitting next to it with that lousy logo! Hopefully no one here will say the MCRU sounds alot better than the Mark Grant!

Okay so I tonight removed the 4 ferrite clamps that I'd attached to the supplied PSU leads and erm....oh what happened to the sound when I plugged it back in? Sounded like increased jitter, unnecessary brightness to the treble and lack of smoothness. Yes it still imaged better then my Sony with more detail but clearly was not leagues apart as it sounded earlier. Clearly what this confirms is that the BM definitely benefits from a better power feed with the VirtualDC not keeping the BM so guarded from external noise.

Overall I'm extremley glad I bought this DAC. Well done Stanley!

NRG
24-03-2013, 10:22
Technically the Longdog Audio PSU is better than the MG one. Its design is better thought out and engineered, the MG is based around an LT linear regulator available off the shelf with some external filtering added...IMHO expensive for what it is. However, the proof is in the listening and if it makes an improvement then don't worry.

StanleyB
24-03-2013, 11:23
Last night I tried the headphone amp and was very impressed. The bass does tend to thump in a soft and undefined manner at times but overall it sounds very rich, detailed and surprisingly good.
Unlike the majority of DACs currently on the market, the Bushmaster can go down to 1Hz at 0dB signal drop. That's extreme subwoofer territory. So any very low frequency bass sounds will be reproduced by the BM. If your headphones can reproduce those low frequencies then you might get to hear them, maybe even for the first time. Most speakers are unlikely to reproduce the very low frequencies unless they are supported by a subwoofer.

There is a thread somewhere where I asked for example of extreme low frequency bass sometime last year. I needed the info at that time in order to test the BM's low frequency capability. The Bushmaster is an eye opener if you are into deep bass and got the amp and speakers for it.

mudan
24-03-2013, 11:35
Technically the Longdog Audio PSU is better than the MG one. Its design is better thought out and engineered, the MG is based around an LT linear regulator available off the shelf with some external filtering added...IMHO expensive for what it is. However, the proof is in the listening and if it makes an improvement then don't worry.

Yes I can see that the MCRU is better designed however I'm sure the benefits will vary a lot system to system based on how much other mains noise there is.
I also agree with you about the MG - I wonder how much the LT PSU costs on its own... But as the benefits seem, according to others, more than the sum of its parts I hopefully will hear that the £110 was well spent. If not then it goes back and I'll be back to the ferrite clamps!

Stubies
28-03-2013, 14:00
I only received it on Wednesday but I like it so much that I want to bring the best out of it so ordered a Mark Grant linear PSU today. I thought the MCRU psu was too expensive at more than the same price of the dac plus didn't fancy having an extra box sitting next to it with that lousy logo! Hopefully no one here will say the MCRU sounds alot better than the Mark Grant!

Okay so I tonight removed the 4 ferrite clamps that I'd attached to the supplied PSU leads and erm....oh what happened to the sound when I plugged it back in? Sounded like increased jitter, unnecessary brightness to the treble and lack of smoothness. Yes it still imaged better then my Sony with more detail but clearly was not leagues apart as it sounded earlier. Clearly what this confirms is that the BM definitely benefits from a better power feed with the VirtualDC not keeping the BM so guarded from external noise.

Mudan,

I too would like to buy either the Mark Grant linear PSU or the MCRU psu - but is it worth it???

has anyone done a side by side comparison? that would be very interesting!!

Mudan when it arrives, please let us know how the Mark Grant sounds compared to the ferrite clamps!

And thanks for your thoughtful review!
Stuart

Xaval
28-03-2013, 23:23
Just this week I received a linear PSU + sbooster ordered from squeeze-upgrade which looks pretty similar, if not the same product, than the one offered by Marc Grant.

I'm pretty happy with the impact it had on the DACs performance: lowered noise floor, more detail, the sound is less congested with the improvement in clarity and the overall sound is more articulate and more "analog" like. It's not a dramatic effect, but it certainly is an upgrade. If you love the Bushmaster I highly recommend it.

Xaval
28-03-2013, 23:44
Last night I tried the headphone amp and was very impressed. The bass does tend to thump in a soft and undefined manner at times but overall it sounds very rich, detailed and surprisingly good. My Sennheiser HD650 does not sound as good through my Pioneer A-400. It seems the BM's headphone input within a split second responds to the load put on it in order to optimise the sound- in fact you can hear this sound change taking place. I did also notice a slight low level hum I could hear through my A-400 on my HD650 when the BM psu was plugged in...but this was so low for it not to be audible through my speakers.

I don't own the HD650 anymore, but I still use my 15 year old HD600. The Bushmaster seems to mate very well with high impedance headphones. The Beyers (+250ohm) sound also very good with the Bushmaster.

I'm not aware of the Bushmasters specs, but from personal experience owning many headphones and headphone amplifiers, I've concluded that once you have your impedance sorted you either have headphone outs putting out current or voltage. High impedance phones usually mate better with high current outputs. Lower impedance headphones prefer voltage. I find this is a rule and there are exceptions. Still, a rule that I've heard many times confirmed by my own ears.

Just listening to Mahler's 2nd with Kubelic through the HD600 and the Bushmaster with the tubas and percussion sound really impressive - the bass! :eek:

Fi-Wi
30-03-2013, 07:57
That's interesting because the music through my Caiman/Gator combo lacks emotion with my Beyerdynamics DT 990 pro's. I listen to my headphones instead of the music. My setup does make my Chario's sing though.

Downside is that with the BM I have yet to purchase another linear psu as well.

MartinT
30-03-2013, 11:27
I'm no great headphone listener, Steven, but I think we all acknowledge that the BM gives the Caiman a beating with their respective headphone outputs.

Xaval
30-03-2013, 21:24
That's interesting because the music through my Caiman/Gator combo lacks emotion with my Beyerdynamics DT 990 pro's. I listen to my headphones instead of the music. My setup does make my Chario's sing though.

Downside is that with the BM I have yet to purchase another linear psu as well.
DT990 are considered bass heavy phones when compared to DT880. DT990s bass despite going deep does not exude the most control being at times a bit wooly. The BM has gobs of bass... so maybe too much of a "good" thing?
I consider the BM phone out to be quite exceptional for high impedance cans. Just another added plus? :eek:

Fi-Wi
31-03-2013, 14:33
I never read that before but it would be dissapointing if the BM wouldn't work well with the DT990. Maybe I'll just stick to my Caiman setup then.

Stubies
01-04-2013, 20:25
Just this week I received a linear PSU + sbooster ordered from squeeze-upgrade which looks pretty similar, if not the same product, than the one offered by Marc Grant.

I'm pretty happy with the impact it had on the DACs performance: lowered noise floor, more detail, the sound is less congested with the improvement in clarity and the overall sound is more articulate and more "analog" like. It's not a dramatic effect, but it certainly is an upgrade. If you love the Bushmaster I highly recommend it.

Xavel, have you tested them separately?

I ask because if the sbooster does 80% of the benefit with 20% of the cost then perhaps that is good enough ?

However if the opposite is true then better to buy the linear PSU

Any thoughts?

MartinT
01-04-2013, 21:25
In the same way that you can't polish a turd, I would always go with a good linear PSU first and foremost.

Xaval
02-04-2013, 00:21
I never read that before but it would be dissapointing if the BM wouldn't work well with the DT990. Maybe I'll just stick to my Caiman setup then.
I can't comment on the Caiman's phone out as I have 0 experience with it. I've read here how much better the BM is on this respect.
I'm a previous owner of DT990. Like it has happened with my Senns - at some point I owned both HD600 and HD650 - I preferred the HD600 and sold the HD650. With the DT990 it was a similar event as I preferred the DT880 600ohm.
I won't delve too much on the whys and buts re my preferences, but as far as both Beyers go, like the Senns, they share more common characteristics than differences. Overall, both Beyers have a U shaped sound signature - great sweet and extended highs and deep bottom end. The DT990s do it in a more accentuated tone (recessed mids).
Now about the BM. It's great. It's more the headphone fault than the BM as this DAC has exceptional bass performance: it extends deep and snaps tigth and the Beyers are an excellent pair of headphones to show it off. It just happens that the Beyers bass is far from perfect - I've owned loads of headphones along the years so maybe I have a lot of background on what to make my assessments and a less favorable comment could come out as too hard. On they're own the Beyers have stood the test of time and are quite good for the asking price.

Given this reasoning and assuming that the BM indeed has a better headphone out, as well is a better DAC, I see little reason not to "upgrade".

Xavel, have you tested them separately?

I ask because if the sbooster does 80% of the benefit with 20% of the cost then perhaps that is good enough ?

However if the opposite is true then better to buy the linear PSU

Any thoughts?
I'm sorry but I have no way to evaluate the sbooster alone as it's not detachable. I can't even quantify if the effect is really 80/20 or anything else. The BM keeps getting better as the days go by. This is a fact.

Listening to Harry Belafonte & Lena Horne on Porgy&Bess (Living Stereo) as I type. I should go to bed but it's still about half way 'till the end of the recording. Oh, the horns on this recording and the voices... I'm melting.

Stubies
02-04-2013, 22:01
Martin and Xaval!

I will probably go with the linear PSU after all - just waiting for the Bushmaster to burn in, then make a final call.

Thanks for your help!

MartinT
03-04-2013, 05:48
Once I have all the parts I need I will document the building of a good linear PSU using Paul Hynes' PR3iEHD module.

Canetoad
03-04-2013, 09:42
I'm running my BM on a DIY PSU using PH regulation. It's sounding sweet through my recently acquired Croft Micro 25. :)

MartinT
03-04-2013, 10:10
Nice one, Bernie. Are you using the PR3 module or a variant of?

Canetoad
03-04-2013, 10:36
Yes Martin. Sorted my own transformer, rectifier diodes and smoothing caps.

MartinT
03-04-2013, 13:49
I've just received most of the parts so I guess I'll get drilling tonight...

Xaval
03-04-2013, 15:41
I've just received most of the parts so I guess I'll get drilling tonight...
Good stuff. Let's see some pics of the building process :)

skimminstones
03-04-2013, 18:17
been reading the thread. Does the bushmaster need all these different mods/psu's etc to sound good?

I just want a dac to use with my squeezebox classic that will sound better out of the box as im not really into modding my kit or anything

Canetoad
03-04-2013, 18:40
In standard form it will sound great! We just like to make improvements. :eyebrows:

Mr.Ian
03-04-2013, 18:50
Does the bushmaster need all these different mods/psu's etc to sound good?

No :eek:

StanleyB
03-04-2013, 19:00
been reading the thread. Does the bushmaster need all these different mods/psu's etc to sound good?

I just want a dac to use with my squeezebox classic that will sound better out of the box as im not really into modding my kit or anything
The mods are designed to raise the DAC's performance way above its original capability, or to customize one of more aspect of it.
Even the Squeezebox Classic has numerous mods available.

mudan
06-04-2013, 10:00
Carrying on from my earlier review of the Bushmaster but now with a psu from Mark Grant + S-Booster...

Having removed the ferrite clamps from the Bushmaster, the sound quality was reduced. I then attached the linear PSU from Mark Grant and the great sound I was used to earlier had returned, but now to an even higher level. Smoother detail with less digital nasties,a much more well defined bass with vocals sounding more focussed due to better imaging. With this PSU attached it was much easier to hear what Stanley has been stating about the bass-yes it does go very low with definition. I would definitely be keeping this PSU. It's suprisingly large compared to the one supplied in the Bushmaster box and is not one you'd have on show, say like the MCRU one.

From Mark Grant I'd received the linear psu with S-Booster and a separate S-Booster. I tested the S-Booster by itself with the original Beresford PSU and it definitely made an improvement, however the extra outlay for the linear psu with S-Booster is definitely worthwhile.

With the linear PSU in place I began to wonder how it would sound with an extra S-Booster. So I plugged the S-Booster in as well - double boost! In fact that is what the result was. In my system the linear PSU sounds better with 2 S-Boosters! The benefits that the linear PSU brought had been raised to an even higher level. Bass was now even more well defined and the overall sound cleaner and detailed. With this quieter background finer subtle details could be heard.

Having heard this set up, these power ugprades need to stay in place so are definitely recommended. For those who want to start with just the S-Booster can do with the confidence that it can be used with the linear psu as well, should you buy it later. i.e. it won't become an idle part or something you'll need to sell.

Being that the power supply is affecting the sound of the Bushmaster to such an extent I was thinking about the MCRU option, however at £200, scaling up to £370 with the optional extras, this is not something I am not willing to do with a £200 DAC. Yes I do wonder if the MCRU option would sound better in my system but I am very happy with the sound I currently have.

Oh and I even put my ferrite clamps back onto the Mark Grant set up!

Stubies, so my advice is to buy the psu from Mark Grant with an additional S-Booster. If needed, you can always return any of the parts with their money back guarantee. I also noticed that you have a NAD C340. I know they were well reviewed but in my opinion it is not a very revealing amp. In fact I sold the superior C370 in order to move back to my Pioneer A-400!

mudan
23-04-2013, 21:38
Update...I no longer have the Bushmaster..

From new I'd been using it in sleep mode to keep the bright LEDs out of view so one day I thought I'd switch sleep mode off just to try but it didn't happen. The LEDs stayed off and it would not come out of sleep mode. I wonder if any of you have had trouble with this or tried taking your unit out of sleep mode?
After a bit of discussion Stan sent me a new IC control chip to fit rather than the long winded approach of having to send the unit back to him for repair. This new IC allowed the LEDs to light and work as expected but the DAC would now not enter sleep mode correctly - in fact it would just hang where the only way back to normal operation was to switch it off and back on again. This was no digital sync issue as the select button would not even change the input/led by this stage. Following the 'reset' option listed in the manual(rev 1.4) made no effect.

Stan suspects that I may have some main electrical issue causing this problem but I very much doubt this as apart from the sleep mode the DAC operated perfectly and no other AV device in my house has ever suffered a fault. If it is my system then the Bushmaster is clearly oversensitive and easily upset.

So sadly this has been quite a short lived romance. As you can see from my earlier posts, I was very happy with the sound, especially when coupled with the Mark Grant linear PSU+extra S Booster. Both have now been returned for a refund.

However I am now picking up an Audiolab M-DAC this weekend! I managed to get it as part of a promotion at £500. As most will know it has had excellent reviews most notable I think being the Editor's Choice in H-Fi Choice June'12.
The Bushmaster+linear PSU came to £300 so it will be interesting to what this extra money brings. In my view the Bushmaster needs a better PSU to bring out its performance.

As a previous Bushmaster owner and soon to be M-DAC I will report back with my findings...

Gazjam
23-04-2013, 21:46
Heard the Bushmaster without PSU and it sounded extremely good. Best Dac in its sector imo.

synsei
23-04-2013, 21:52
Nope... I won't... I really mustn't... I shall desist.... :eyebrows:

You are correct of course Gaz... ;)

mudan
23-04-2013, 22:44
Yeah good sound out the box - probably nothing better for £200 but so much better with uprated psu... However my Bushmaster days are over. Now to M-DAC and its endless software tweaks!

johnB
23-04-2013, 23:45
Yeah good sound out the box - probably nothing better for £200 but so much better with uprated psu... However my Bushmaster days are over. Now to M-DAC and its endless software tweaks!

So are you selling your Bushmaster Dav?

mudan
24-04-2013, 06:23
No it's been sent back for a refund. Despite how good it sounded I couldn't live with something that didn't quite do what it said on the box. Yes of course the audio quality is what I bought it for however a failed sleep function that apparently I could not get to work or wouldn't work in my system is not acceptable.

alan47
24-04-2013, 13:03
Not just me then,i tried to get my Bushmaster out of sleep mode last week.Can't get the LED's back on whatever i do,still works ok otherwise.Guess i will just have to live with it,wasn't thinking of selling it anyway..:hmm:

mudan
24-04-2013, 13:44
Well you'd rather have it in sleep mode than those bright LEDs glaring at you! Glad it's not just me then with sleep mode trouble - I wonder who else is affected...

Roy S
24-04-2013, 13:49
Well you'd rather have it in sleep mode than those bright LEDs glaring at you! Glad it's not just me then with sleep mode trouble - I wonder who else is affected...

Didn't even know it had a 'sleep mode', how does that work then? (or not in this instance...)

mudan
24-04-2013, 14:21
From what I recall, you ensure the Auto light is on then hold down the Select button till the Auto light flashes on/off, then let go. You should find that the lights are now off and the DAC still works but with no distracting lights. Full correct details are in the supplied manual.

Roy S
24-04-2013, 14:30
From what I recall, you ensure the Auto light is on then hold down the Select button till the Auto light flashes on/off, then let go. You should find that the lights are now off and the DAC still works but with no distracting lights. Full correct details are in the supplied manual.

Thanks for that Dav, I'll check if mine works (didn't get a manual, purchased second hand)

johnB
24-04-2013, 14:43
No it's been sent back for a refund. Despite how good it sounded I couldn't live with something that didn't quite do what it said on the box. Yes of course the audio quality is what I bought it for however a failed sleep function that apparently I could not get to work or wouldn't work in my system is not acceptable.

Thanks Dav.
If anyone is looking sell their Bushmaster I'd be interested. I have one on my second system and am very pleased with it. Looking for another one to sit next to my armchair and use as a Headphone amp.
Cheers
John

mudan
24-04-2013, 19:05
Yes I think if you can put up with a defective sleep function then it can also make a nice headphone amp. If you see my review earlier I was quite impressed at how good my HD650 sounded through it. I'm expecting even better from my soon arriving M-DAC.

Gazjam
24-04-2013, 19:28
Nope... I won't... I really mustn't... I shall desist.... :eyebrows:

You are correct of course Gaz... ;)

all things being equal of course... ;)

Peter Galbavy
25-04-2013, 11:14
I am confused about this so-called "defective" sleep function. Mine works exactly as I expect. The lights are off unless I press a button but the DAC works perfectly.

mudan
25-04-2013, 13:13
Peter it seems yours is working as expected but how about if you try to deactivate sleepmode? i. e. Hold down the Select button in order to bring the LEDs on permanently? N. B. You may need to be in Auto mode to do this.

Seems that so far that only Alan47 and myself have had trouble. My first IC behaved like Alan's whereas my 2nd IC wouldn't enter sleep mode

synsei
25-04-2013, 14:19
I had sleep mode problems with mine too although I believe it was linked to another issue. What is not in dispute is that the BM sounds fabulous.

MartinT
25-04-2013, 14:30
Don't want sleep mode, don't need it and don't care.
What I did want was no auto mode and that works fine.

The BM does sound very good indeed, especially from a source like the Logitech Touch playing Spotify (much better sound than I had expected), Sky HD (superb with all kinds of broadcasts) and Blu-ray.

synsei
25-04-2013, 14:46
I need to look into getting an SB sometime after reading all the great things on here about it ;)

Theadmans
25-04-2013, 15:28
I had the problem of not being able to get out of Sleep Mode too. At the same time I also lost the ability to select different inputs. I spoke to Stan and he sent me a replacement chip. I fitted the chip and reset sleep mode and all was well gain.

After a month or so of flawless operation I had the same problem again - cannot get out of sleep mode and no ability to change input. Again I spoke to Stan who expressed surprise that I had the problem again. Stan asked about my power arrangements and I told him I had the Bushmaster plugged into a Tacima Power Conditioner strip. Stan felt the Tacima might be causing problems and recommended that I buy an S-Booster. I asked Stan if I should avoid Sleep mode in future and he said that if it was causing me problems then yes. Stan also sent me another chip.

So I have now fitted an S-Booster to the Bushmaster and whilst I was at it fitted another to my Squeezebox Touch. I have fitted the new chip to the Bushmaster and this time NOT programmed Sleep mode. I now always switch off the DAC after use to avoid the over bright Blue LED shining all the time.

Now been operating in Non-Sleep Mode for a few weeks. No further problems and I must say the sound just keeps getting better and better.

mudan
25-04-2013, 15:34
No dispute about the sound at all - I was very happy with that aspect. I don't see how anything external can stop the sleep mode from operating when all it's doing is controlling the LEDs

mudan
25-04-2013, 15:46
Theadmans I just read your post after my reply. Seems you've had a similar experience to me. I was almost about to accept a 2nd chip but then through my contact with Stan lost cconfidence in the product. Yes it sounded great but if I was going to run into issues this early on that couldn't be solved which were wrongly directed at the rest of my system then this was not something I could live with. To be honest this puts me off buying a Beresford product again.

I was gutted at first but at least now I have the Mdac to look forward to.

Theadmans
25-04-2013, 15:50
I can't help thinking that the problems might be temperature related. When you are in sleep mode it is easy to forget that you have left the DAC on. Maybe it is not a good idea to leave it on all the time.

Now I don't have sleep mode set it is obvious that the DAC is on with the very bright blue LED on. So I always switch it off - otherwise the lounge starts to look like some kind of science lab!

I haven't had any problems since I stopped using Sleep Mode. I would be interested to know if anyone with the Bushmaster had a problem with source selection with Sleep mode was not set ?

Theadmans
25-04-2013, 15:56
Mudan - Interestingly I notice from your equipment list that you also use a Tacima power block. Was your Bushmaster plugged into the Tacima like mine ?

synsei
25-04-2013, 15:59
This is difficult because I do not want to open up old wounds. I also think it is a little unfair to tar all Stans products with the same brush due to one potential issue with just one of his products. I owned a Caiman DAC for just over two years and it was, and still is, a fantastic product for the money.

I do believe there is is an issue with some BM's however and I also believe it revolves around the firmware. I should state that I am in no way technically qualified to diagnose what is actually going on and being the designer, Stan is the acknowledged expert on his own products. I am speaking from experience however and with the BM I had in my possession there was most certainly an issue with source selection.

mudan
25-04-2013, 16:20
Theadmans, yes I have a Tacima power bar with an Isotek IsoPlug and Russ Andrews Silencer. Into the Tacima power I have a basic Russ Andrews distribution block and this is what the DAC was plugged in to. So a fair bit of mains filtering as you can see..

I only owned my DAC for a few weeks and initially left it switched on for a couple of days running in with CD being kept on repeat as the source. So yes maybe some component has overheated in the DAC but who knows! Replacing the IC did not resolve the problem entirely either. In fact it fixed one problem but brought another so seems it's more control IC related.

synsei, naturally any designer wants to protect the reputation of their products and I know that the Caiman has been popular. I believe it also won a What Hi-Fi award or was given 5 stars. I wonder if WHF are planning to review the Bushmaster...

I totally agree that just because of one problematic product does not mean that all others will be similar but what I don't appreciate is there being no clear solution to my issue or admittance of the problem. Stan was always too ready to give my money back rather than provide a fix. When my DAC was received back he said there was no fault with it so clearly I am not 'suitable' for a Bushmaster. If the LEDs weren't so bright I may have kept it in a 'faulty' state.

Fi-Wi
25-04-2013, 16:24
... I was almost about to accept a 2nd chip but then through my contact with Stan lost cconfidence in the product. Yes it sounded great but if I was going to run into issues this early on that couldn't be solved which were wrongly directed at the rest of my system then this was not something I could live with. To be honest this puts me off buying a Beresford product again.

I was gutted at first but at least now I have the Mdac to look forward to.

What did Stan say to you that permanently put you off buying his products? And how do you know that the issues you had were wrongly directed at the rest of your system? Maybe, as you suggest yourself a few posts back, the BM is more sensitive than the rest of your equipment. :scratch:

Oh, and please post your presumably outstanding experiences with the Mdac in a designated thread. ;)

mudan
25-04-2013, 16:31
I don't think it's fair for me to reveal my full contact here with Stan, however rather than provide a fix for the sleep function, on more than one occassion the response has been towards a refund. Yes it's always great to have your money back if you're not totally happy but all I wanted was a fully working DAC. I thought the DAC sounded great and wanted to keep it. A finger was pointed at my mains supply that may be creating spikes. If you read earlier, Theadmans has had the same response.

Well I've not bought the MDAC yet. As a previous Bushmaster owner I'm sure many would be interested in my experience with the MDAC and how it compares to the Bushmaster.

MartinT
25-04-2013, 16:36
I was almost about to accept a 2nd chip but then through my contact with Stan lost cconfidence in the product

This seems a little disingenuous, unless I'm missing something. So you didn't actually give Stan a chance to fix the problem (a minor problem at that, just involving the LEDs)? In which case, the negative vibes are a little unwarranted. I have owned three of Stan's devices and his customer service has always been exemplary. The devices (including my Bushmaster) have never gone wrong and are left switched on all the time - there is no heat problem as they generate precious little heat in the first place. Power glitches can be a menace and this may well be the source of your problems.

synsei
25-04-2013, 16:38
I would encourage Stan to comment on recent posts, mine included, to defend his position and his products. As well as carving out a fairly unique niche for his products, he consistently delivers a product that performs well above its station. Apart from the few regrettable issues some have experienced with their BM's I stand by what I have said about it many times before, the BM performs at least as well as other DAC's which retail for far more. I hope Stan can diagnose what is at the root of this issue and fix it as it would seem it isn't an isolated one. I am confident however that he will do so and that the BM will be even more successful as a result. I wish Stan every success in this :)

Gazjam
25-04-2013, 16:45
This seems a little disingenuous, unless I'm missing something. So you didn't actually give Stan a chance to fix the problem (a minor problem at that, just involving the LEDs)? In which case, the negative vibes are a little unwarranted. I have owned three of Stan's devices and his customer service has always been exemplary. The devices (including my Bushmaster) have never gone wrong and are left switched on all the time - there is no heat problem as they generate precious little heat in the first place. Power glitches can be a menace and this may well be the source of your problems.

Agree with this.

I've owned 4(!) of Stans Dacs over the years and have always had great satisfaction from them.
You will find that Stan is one of the good guys on here, always had good service from him.

synsei
25-04-2013, 16:49
Dav, I understand better than anyone how frustrating it can be when such a fantastic product doesn't quite come up to operational expectations. I too found myself in a similar position to you and I was frustrated because what I was hearing was simply fabulous. The resulting negotiations did not go well so in the end I bit the bullet, sent the BM back and bought a Rega DAC. Had the issue been sorted to my satisfaction I promise you the BM would still be in my system.

Everyone handles such situations differently and I am big enough to admit that perhaps I could have been a little more diplomatic. Despite this I would still say that the Bushmaster is the best sounding DAC currently retailing at under £500.

Theadmans
25-04-2013, 16:55
Yes Stan has always been excellent with me - the 2 replacement chips I have asked for both arrived the next day after ringing him.

I notice there appears to be a new line on the Beresford Bushmaster section of the Beresford website "Now shipping with improved firmware for even better performance" - I would be interested to know what this relates to.

MartinT - I notice you said you leave your Bushmaster on all the time. Can I ask if you use Sleep Mode or just leave the blue LED on?

mudan
25-04-2013, 18:13

I did give Stan plenty of chances to fix the problem. Being that I was so happy with the sound I have to admit was a bit heart broken when I wasn't having the response I was hoping for. If I'm using someone's product I like to feel happy about my interaction with them. I mean this is no large multinational organisation, this is Stan's personal signature on the product! Until things went wrong I was perfectly happy. The product was delivered on time and to his further credit Stan even refunded it the day he got it back! However, the tone throughout my email contact has been towards either me not knowing how the product works or a problem in my system, along with offering me a refund on more than one occasion despite me making it perfectly clear I wanted a working product. I thought this product sounded great, I didn't want to let go of it.

Being that my first and send ICs behaved differently I don't think mains power is the cause of the problem. In fact there are now several people who have had this issue clearly pointing to a fault with the DAC that needs to be rectified.

synsei
25-04-2013, 18:21
I did give Stan plenty of chances to fix the problem. Being that I was so happy with the sound I have to admit was a bit heart broken when I wasn't having the response I was hoping for. If I'm using someone's product I like to feel happy about my interaction with them. I mean this is no large multination organisation, this is Stan's personal signature on the product! Until things went wrong I was perfectly happy. The product was delivered on time and to his further credit Stan even refunded it the day he got it back! However, the tone throughout my email contact has been towards either me not knowing how the product works or a problem in my system, along with offering me a refund on more than one occasion despite me making it perfectly clear I wanted a working product. I thought this product sounded great, I didn't want to let go of it.

Despite what I've written before and as much as it pains me to write it, this all sounds very familiar, especially the piece in bold... :eyebrows:

If Stan is willing to run with it I am happy to offer my services as a reviewer, and as someone who has suffered from this problem, to test whether the latest firmware update has solved it. I promise to be fair and unbiased. Apart from anything else, if it is generated by some sort of system incompatability then if the same problem should emerge it might be helpful to Stan and all his customers to identify exactly what the circumstances are which generate the issue...

mudan
25-04-2013, 18:39
Yes Stan has always been excellent with me - the 2 replacement chips I have asked for both arrived the next day after ringing him.

I notice there appears to be a new line on the Beresford Bushmaster section of the Beresford website "Now shipping with improved firmware for even better performance" - I would be interested to know what this relates to.

MartinT - I notice you said you leave your Bushmaster on all the time. Can I ask if you use Sleep Mode or just leave the blue LED on?

I believe part of that firmware change may relate to updated sleep mode behaviour(when it works!). Rev1.4 instructions contain new steps on how to enter sleep mode along with how to reset your dac should you have issues. Stan emailed me a PDF for rev 1.4 which was in the last IC I had. Maybe there's other digital system improvements too ?

Roy S
25-04-2013, 18:59
My sleep mode doesn't seem to be working properly either... no great shakes, didn't know it had one & I quite like the LEDS :mental:

mudan
25-04-2013, 19:27
It's nice having blue LEDs but not ones that are so bright!

What troubled me more about my second IC is that when I tried to enter sleep mode the DAC would just freeze i.e. no sound output even if I pressed Select and no movement on the LEDs. The only way to get it to work again was to turn it off/on.

Theadmans
25-04-2013, 19:28
I believe part of that firmware change may relate to updated sleep mode behaviour(when it works!). Rev1.4 instructions contain new steps on how to enter sleep mode along with how to reset your dac should you have issues. Stan emailed me a PDF for rev 1.4 which was in the last IC I had. Maybe there's other digital system improvements too ?

...OK thanks - I got my latest chip from Stan at the end of March - not sure if it is rev 1.4 - useful info though. I'll check this rev 1.4 malarkey out with Stan if my chip goes wrong again.

StanleyB
26-04-2013, 07:07
From the comments made about the sleep mode it appears to be a feature that is more trouble than it is worth. I wrote the software code for it primarily to hide the scanning light emitted by the LEDs when in auto mode. Those pulsating LEDs can get very irritating otherwise. But there are other ways to hide the scanning of the LEDs.

I suspect that there is a wake up function call error in the software compiler that I use. I'll ask on the compiler manufacturer forum about that. The sleep mode problem seems however to be overshadowing the performance of the BM. So I shall edit the online instructions and remove any reference of the sleep mode. That should . I'll have an amended instruction printed as well.
I shall also remove the software call to the sleep mode function from any future updates and sales so that it is no longer available as a feature. I'll see if I can implement that over this weekend.

mudan
26-04-2013, 08:34
Good to hear that you acknowledge there is an issue. I think disabling the sleep feature is a good move. In order to keep those happy who find the LEDs too bright would there be an easy way to make them glow less bright or would that involve changing the build and fitting different spec parts?

StanleyB
26-04-2013, 08:38
I don't have an issue whatsoever with the sleep mode. But if nobody wants or needs it then it is a waste of effort including it.

mudan
26-04-2013, 19:44
Well it seems some of your past and current customers have an issue with the sleep mode so seems they need some help.

Xaval
26-04-2013, 21:13
No issues here with sleep or anything else, just great sounding music. I hope this issue gets sorted to the few that came through.
From personal experience with Stan, despite the fact that I bought my BM used, he has been stellar all the way as I want to mod the headphone section and have been provided with great help and tips. Looking forward for the next level DAC whenever it's ready.
Coming back to the sleep mode feature, I appreciate it and only wish more equipment that I own could also do it.

mudan
26-04-2013, 21:22
Well seems you're one of the lucky ones where it worked. It's clearly a fragile feature being that a few have had issues. If mine was so robust I'd never have sent it back.

synsei
26-04-2013, 21:37
Well seems you're one of the lucky ones where it worked. It's clearly a fragile feature being that a few have had issues. If mine was so robust I'd never have sent it back.

Which says it all really. On that note I think a line should be drawn under this now. Dav, you are looking forward to receiving your MDac and it looks as if Stan will be removing the offending code from the firmware. I'm sure he will make it available to those who still want it. Adaptability is the key ;)

johnB
26-04-2013, 22:32
Well I think these DACs are brilliant and have just bought a second one.

mudan
26-04-2013, 22:44
Well its performance has not been under question - that aspect is exemplary for the price.

magiccarpetride
26-04-2013, 22:44
Which says it all really. On that note I think a line should be drawn under this now. Dav, you are looking forward to receiving your MDac and it looks as if Stan will be removing the offending code from the firmware. I'm sure he will make it available to those who still want it. Adaptability is the key ;)

Not sure if some of you guys realize what a steal Bushmaster actually is. Is it perfect? -- most definitely not. But hey, for that kind of a pocket change, it would be moronic to demand perfection.

In my case, I've had my share of issues with this DAC, including the annoying intensely blue LED lights. But did I whine and complain? No. Instead, I've solved it by slapping a piece of thick black duct tape over the annoying lights. So be a real man, focus on the amazing sound quality, and use some duct tape once in a while! That's what it's for.

synsei
26-04-2013, 22:48
Not sure if some of you guys realize what a steal Bushmaster actually is. Is it perfect? -- most definitely not. But hey, for that kind of a pocket change, it would be moronic to demand perfection.

In my case, I've had my share of issues with this DAC, including the annoying intensely blue LED lights. But did I whine and complain? No. Instead, I've solved it by slapping a piece of thick black duct tape over the annoying lights. So be a real man, focus on the amazing sound quality, and use some duct tape once in a while! That's what it's for.

Was that meant for me Alex? I didn't have a problem with the LED's on my BM, it had more serious issues and now I own a Rega DAC :scratch:

mudan
27-04-2013, 05:04
I think we all know the DAC produces some excellent sounds for money. Coupled with the linear psu it made a great upgrade for my system so I was disheartened when it had to go. Alot of equipment can have issues. I mean look at the MDAC I'm buying today - it's had plenty however these are generally resolved through firmware updates the user can install.

This discussion we're having will help Stan to improve his product.

What I didn't appreciate is that apparently I can't get sleep mode to work but Stan can - how odd. It's barely a complex procedure! It clearly wasn't other components in my system causing this.

magiccarpetride as you have had to put duct tape on your DAC I take it your sleep mode didn't work also?

StanleyB
27-04-2013, 05:58
I think that your email threats to cause trouble is not so much of a discussion, is it ;)? It should be clear to many by now that only you who no longer owns a DAC of mine is interested to keep this discussion rolling for your own personal satisfaction. A couple of other contributors have given you subtle hints that they have sussed you out.

What I didn't appreciate is that apparently I can't get sleep mode to work but Stan can - how odd. It's barely a complex procedure! It clearly wasn't other components in my system causing this.
Well if you had pushed down the IC into the socket properly you would have had it working. I did offer to look at the DAC after all, which you turned down in favour of a rant on AoS.

mudan
27-04-2013, 07:55
Well I think that's totally unfair. I mentioned a sleep mode problem and others have come forward with the same issue. If I had not mentioned it then buyers would not know that this is a potential problem. I have given the DAC where credit is due. If I had just wanted to cause 'trouble' then I would not mention its positive points.

The IC was pushed down properly. If it wasn't then the LEDs wouldn't have not lit at all;). As I stated, the DAC worked perfectly until attempting to enter sleep mode. Yes you offered to look at the DAC and said you would replace it if it was faulty - however you found no fault and mentioned nothing about the IC mounting. I decided to opt for a refund as I was not happy with your responses. Having a fully functional product was not too much to ask for I don't think.

Had I not stated my issue on here you would not have 'progressed' to disabling the sleep function for future production. So I see my comments and others who have mentioned the fault as productive for the buying public.

MartinT
27-04-2013, 08:23
Ok, that's enough about the sleep mode now, chaps. All the points that needed to be made have been and it's becoming a bit circular. Stan is withdrawing sleep mode so it's defunct and a minor issue anyway compared with the performance the Bushmaster provides. Let's move on.

seoirse2002
27-04-2013, 08:36
++1

icehockeyboy
27-04-2013, 11:35
++1
Add me to that.

I have had absolutely NO problem with ANY aspect of the Standac!

rxjr
27-04-2013, 16:56
As I have previously stated, the Bushmaster is one of those great sounding products that money can buy. For the small amount of investment required, this DAC is unbeatable, excellent sounding and is a boon to those wishing to have dynamic, great sounding digital sound. StanB, in my opinion, is a real stand-up guy whose support for his product is second to none. When I had an issue with my ADC to connecting to the Bushmaster, he immediately emailed me a solution that worked. And by the way, I have had no issues with the LEDs whatsoever. I also turn the Bushmaster off when not in use. Why, because, like any other appliance in my home, leaving a coffee pot or stove on, when not in use, wastes electricity and contributes to pollution, and may lead to other dire, unfortunate and unintended consequences. (Use your imagination).. Nyff said.

To StanB, keep up the good work and I shall be looking forward to the next iteration of the Bushmaster. Thank you for a great product.

rex

synsei
27-04-2013, 18:21
Every manufacturer, no matter whether they be large or small, will find themselves having to deal with customer complaints at sometime or another. It is how those complaints are dealt with which is really important to both the business and the customer, especially in these days of social networking where reputations can be won or lost online at the drop of a hat. This is even more crucial when the outfit concerned is a small business trying to build on its market share.

A good example of how things can go terribly wrong very quickly is Apple, who are historically quite an arrogant company to deal with. One thing that has kept them afloat for a very long time is that they were the the king of cool, producing products which looked real good and that just about everybody wanted. Unfortunately Apple hasn't had a good buffing since Steve Jobs died and the rot has begun to set in. Even their core customers are detecting the unmistakable odour of rotting fruit and they are beginning to look elsewhere for riper fruit in other bowls.

Alex_UK
27-04-2013, 20:11
A good example of how things can go terribly wrong very quickly is Apple, who are historically quite an arrogant company to deal with. One thing that has kept them afloat for a very long time is that they were the the king of cool, producing products which looked real good and that just about everybody wanted. Unfortunately Apple hasn't had a good buffing since Steve Jobs died and the rot has begun to set in. Even their core customers are detecting the unmistakable odour of rotting fruit and they are beginning to look elsewhere for riper fruit in other bowls.

I see what you did there, Dave - very droll! :lol:

synsei
27-04-2013, 20:23
I thank thee kindly sir... :thumbsup:

Marco
27-04-2013, 20:37
Can anyone else smell sultanas?

Marco.

synsei
27-04-2013, 21:06
Can anyone else smell sultanas?

Marco.

:rfl:

I will get around to calling you Marco but currently I have lost my voice due to a cold. The missus is loving the peace and quiet though... :D

MartinT
28-04-2013, 15:51
No but I don't fancy any blackberries...

mudan
28-04-2013, 16:51
Well poetically put sensei, I mean synsei! :D
Sultanas are probably not the best example as they're still a positive outcome.. Then again maybe not a bad representation of Apple gear. No one can rule forever.

Currently listening to my M-DAC - brief interesting Bushmaster comparison to follow soon.

Ninanina
29-04-2013, 20:49
I'm thinking about getting the Bushmaster DAC

I want to make sure it can fit on the shelf alongside my cd player

Can anyone who owns one measure it for me?

Thanks soooo much ;)

myles
29-04-2013, 20:53
If its the same size as the 7510 chassis its about the same size as a videotape. (ish)

MartinT
29-04-2013, 20:54
200 x 168 x 55mm.

MartinT
29-04-2013, 20:55
If its the same size as the 7510 chassis its about the same size as a videotape. (ish)

No, not the same chassis and it's deeper than it is wide.

Ninanina
29-04-2013, 20:57
Thanks soooo much, and so fast....

So 168mm wide ??

Cheers all :)

myles
29-04-2013, 20:58
I stand corrected.

MartinT
29-04-2013, 21:02
So 168mm wide ??

Yes.

Ninanina
29-04-2013, 21:04
Thanks so much Martin. It will fit with ease

Ninanina
30-04-2013, 14:54
Does anyone know if Stan is on holiday? because I have tried to contact him a couple of times but I've had no response

icehockeyboy
30-04-2013, 15:06
Does anyone know if Stan is on holiday? because I have tried to contact him a couple of times but I've had no response

Just called him on your behalf but I believe contact has been made now? :)

magiccarpetride
30-04-2013, 16:18
Was that meant for me Alex? I didn't have a problem with the LED's on my BM, it had more serious issues and now I own a Rega DAC :scratch:

No, I was just amazed at how much are some people complaining about features that have nothing to do with the sound quality

magiccarpetride
30-04-2013, 16:22
I think we all know the DAC produces some excellent sounds for money. Coupled with the linear psu it made a great upgrade for my system so I was disheartened when it had to go. Alot of equipment can have issues. I mean look at the MDAC I'm buying today - it's had plenty however these are generally resolved through firmware updates the user can install.

magiccarpetride as you have had to put duct tape on your DAC I take it your sleep mode didn't work also?

Yes, my particular copy of BM is a temperamental little fellow (could be due to the fact that it was an early release?) It was throwing a few tantrums at me, even refusing to work at one point. After doing some acrobatics, I've managed to get it back into the operational shape.

But it was all worth it, because the sound quality is amazing, especially for the money. And I bought the DAC strictly for the sound, not for the looks or any other features it may or may not have.

synsei
30-04-2013, 16:28
No, I was just amazed at how much are some people complaining about features that have nothing to do with the sound quality

Fine. I just didn't take too kindly to being told to 'man up' when I wasn't the one doing the complaining. Having said that if a member has a problem with a piece of equipment the management of AoS have always encouraged us to name and shame the company. That way things get fixed, and if they don't then other members know about it and can vote with their feet if they feel the need..

Ninanina
30-04-2013, 18:19
Hi Craig
Thanks so much for contacting Stan on my behalf :), unfortunately I still have not heard from him

But thanks anyway for your help

Bev

StanleyB
30-04-2013, 18:47
My intention is to remove most features from the firmware and the supporting components from the PCB and just offer the normal manual switching facility with the LEDs always ON. Innovation can have its teething problems and detract from an otherwise excellent product. But other DAC manufacturers have managed to do without such features, so it is obviously not high on the list of facilities that the average user requires or even needs.

It's a pity really since I was looking forward to further develop the BM to be operated by a Raspberry Pi and adding a remote control code set to the firmware. But the likely dangers of taking the BM in that direction are becoming clear. They are at the limit of my knowledge in code writing. So I'll leave it to the DIYer and after market product sellers with PIC code writing skills to mess about with those things. It is best that I just stick to the basics.

mudan
30-04-2013, 18:52
But it was all worth it, because the sound quality is amazing, especially for the money. And I bought the DAC strictly for the sound, not for the looks or any other features it may or may not have.

Yes I bought a DAC to improve sound as well not just so that I could have another box stacked up :) However out of the box I had to switch that glaring blue LED off. I find it frustrating when something doesn't work right. Had it been an accepted known issue then I may have even put up with it, maybe even with some duct tape like someone mentioned! :eyebrows: It was a nice surprise when even the headphone amp impressed!

Gazjam
30-04-2013, 19:04
Stan, cant you hook up with someone who knows PIC coding?
This is probably just a glitch, the concept is good! :)

StanleyB
30-04-2013, 19:22
Naah. Waste of time. After seeing the comments some people have made it is not worth the hassle.

Mr.Ian
30-04-2013, 19:52
My intention is to remove most features from the firmware and the supporting components from the PCB and just offer the normal manual switching facility with the LEDs always ON. Innovation can have its teething problems and detract from an otherwise excellent product. But other DAC manufacturers have managed to do without such features, so it is obviously not high on the list of facilities that the average user requires or even needs.

I for one really like the auto switching and LED off option - the latter especially - yes there were some early teething problems but they were soon sorted

StanleyB
30-04-2013, 20:04
But one person who did not push down the firmware chip properly, causing some pins not to make electrical contact with the appropriate circuits has been making so much noise and writing all sort of conjectures and negative comments, it has given me a headache. Then with comments about naming and shaming and customers voting with their feet, who needs that sort of hassle? British inventiveness has hardly been highly regarded in this country. No such issues with foreign buyers. They tend to be positively helpful, instead of negative through and through.

Mr.Ian
30-04-2013, 20:20
But one person who did not push down the firmware chip properly, causing some pins not to make electrical contact with the appropriate circuits has been making so much noise and writing all sort of conjectures and negative comments, it has given me a headache. Then with comments about naming and shaming and customers voting with their feet, who needs that sort of hassle? British inventiveness has hardly been highly regarded in this country. No such issues with foreign buyers. They tend to be positively helpful, instead of negative through and through.

I can remember buying first release mobiles phones, made by large highly reputable major manufacturers, and the software problems always seemed immense - very frustrating. But if no one pushes the boundaries where would we be ...

synsei
30-04-2013, 20:24
Stan, Stan, Stan, for crying out loud man EVERYONE without exception is telling you the DAC sounds bloody amazing, and it does. You have announced what you intend to do regarding the operational issues some have experienced and that should be the end of it. This should be a learning experience for us all and what you personally are getting here is something most manufacturers can only dream of, live feedback. Use it positively to develop the product instead of railing against your customers when they report issues to you. Ask yourself why some customers are feeling the need to bring these issues to the forum because therein lies the solution my friend. If those customers had been satisfied with your response then the comments would not have been posted.

Ninanina
30-04-2013, 20:27
Well I've just ordered one

I hope it performs, sound wise, as all have commented on

It seems a hifi bargain if it performs as most have said, which makes a change !

alan47
30-04-2013, 20:29
Well i positively won't be swapping my BM for no rega or any other Dac any time soon.BAA,there is no earthly reason why a dac should cost more than £200,so why waste your money...:hmm::mental:

synsei
30-04-2013, 20:31
It is a fine DAC Bev it really is. Mine had a few problems but then it was an early version with a few wrinkles which needed to be ironed out. Unfortunately the iron wasn't working at the time hence why I ended up with the Rega. I really miss that headphone stage though... :(

Ninanina
30-04-2013, 21:03
I hope it lives up to my expectations

I'm pretty convinced it will

Can't wait

I'm such a hifi tart really :eek::eek:

mudan
30-04-2013, 21:13
I totally agree with synsei about customer feedback. If you care about what your customers think then this is what will win you even more customers whether through product development or brand recommendation.

Yes I was also impressed with the headphone output - it's a very seductive and big sound. My M-DAC headphone out is much more detailed, controlled and neutral but does lack the Bushmaster's rosy approach. Unfortunately I don't have them to compare side by side.

Ninanina
30-04-2013, 21:16
Unfortunately I have no use for the headphone output. I have no headphones and have no thought of buying any either

I simply want it between my Meridian cd player and amp to hopefully give a better output and the Meridian is not too bad in this area either, so it's a fairly tough act to follow

magiccarpetride
30-04-2013, 22:12
I hope it lives up to my expectations

I'm pretty convinced it will

Can't wait

I'm such a hifi tart really :eek::eek:

It will most likely surpass your expectations, Stewie. However, be a good toddler and leave it on playing in a loop for a few days to let it properly burn-in... Then sit down for a listen, a prepare to get scared.

magiccarpetride
30-04-2013, 22:18
Fine. I just didn't take too kindly to being told to 'man up' when I wasn't the one doing the complaining. Having said that if a member has a problem with a piece of equipment the management of AoS have always encouraged us to name and shame the company. That way things get fixed, and if they don't then other members know about it and can vote with their feet if they feel the need..

Let me repeat my argument: at this price/performance point, a product such as Bushmaster DAC is a veritable steal. Or, to put it more nicely, it feels like a gift from a very talented engineer. You'd have to pony up for a ten times more expensive product to get anywhere near the brilliance of BM's sound.

So, to me, complaining and voting with one's feet regarding a gift looks a bit foolish. But hey, where would we be without complaining, no?

synsei
30-04-2013, 22:32
Let me repeat my argument: at this price/performance point, a product such as Bushmaster DAC is a veritable steal. Or, to put it more nicely, it feels like a gift from a very talented engineer. You'd have to pony up for a ten times more expensive product to get anywhere near the brilliance of BM's sound.

So, to me, complaining and voting with one's feet regarding a gift looks a bit foolish. But hey, where would we be without complaining, no?

So Alex, what you seem to be saying is this: If I were to buy a product at what you consider to be a knock down price and it failed to work properly then I should be grateful, kiss goodbye to my money and just walk away? Bollocks to that. I will let you into a little secret, if I had truly received the BM as a gift and it hadn't been working properly, I would still have returned it because what good is a useless gift? It sounds to me as if somebody has a little more money than sense... :rolleyes:

Ninanina
30-04-2013, 22:36
magiccarpetride

At last, someone who knows Stewie. I love both Family Guy and American Dad

BUT has anyone followed "The Mongrels" like I have, probably the funniest thing I have every seen on TV

PLEASE someone comment on "The Mongrels", it really was that funny...

synsei
30-04-2013, 22:41
I've seen clips on YT Bev but that's about it. What I've seen made me giggle :)

Ninanina
30-04-2013, 23:02
Dave

If you found YT clips funny you owe it to yourself to see the whole 2 series. It really is a right giggle... and I think I'm a reasonable judge of giggly things !!

:eek:

magiccarpetride
30-04-2013, 23:34
So Alex, what you seem to be saying is this: If I were to buy a product at what you consider to be a knock down price and it failed to work properly then I should be grateful, kiss goodbye to my money and just walk away? Bollocks to that. I will let you into a little secret, if I had truly received the BM as a gift and it hadn't been working properly, I would still have returned it because what good is a useless gift? It sounds to me as if somebody has a little more money than sense... :rolleyes:

Your definition of useless seems different than mine.

pete_mac
01-05-2013, 02:10
Hi all!

I thought I’d share my thoughts regarding the Bushmaster. I’ve been lucky enough to borrow one for the past month or two and have put it through its paces in my own system, as well as in a friend’s system against several other DACs.

In my rig, the Bushmaster offered a clear step-up over the onboard Squeezebox Touch DAC with improved resolution and clarity, and better separation of elements within the music. The automatic input selection feature is a nice touch too. I thought that the build quality and level of finishing was noticeably better than the Caiman.

As part of the big DAC comparison in my friend’s system, the Bushmaster offered performance commensurate with its price IMHO. It outshone the $100 Hifimediy Sabre-equipped DAC, but we thought that it wasn’t as musical and involving as the Resonessence Labs Concero which is around the $600 mark vs $300 for the Bushmaster. The higher priced DACs ($1200-3500) showed both the Concero and Bushmaster a clean set of heels, but this is not exactly a fair comparison as they are in a completely different price bracket.

When using the Concero as a USB to SPDIF converter into the Bushmaster, the Bushmaster had trouble locking onto an upsampled signal (24/192 from memory) but there were no such issues at lower sample rates. Perhaps this DAC contained an earlier firmware version, as I seem to recall some SB Touch issues being mentioned a while back, and this was rectified with new firmware?

It was a shame that we didn’t have some similarly-priced DACs on hand at the time so that we could conduct back-to-back listening (eg. audio-gd NFB-3, Schiit Bifrost or Emotiva XDA-2). Although, based upon our recollections of these three DACs from earlier listening sessions, the Bushmaster probably offers up the most detail of the lot, but isn’t quite as tonally satisfying as the Schiit and the audio-gd IMHO. I feel that the Bushmaster has cleaner and deeper bass response and improved portrayal of detail compared to the Gatorised Caiman that I listened to a year or two ago, but audio memory can be fickle at times!

As always, system matching and synergy plays a significant role, as does personal preference. I can see the Bushmaster as being an excellent choice for someone who wants to elicit as much detail as possible from the recordings at a bargain price, and who also requires multiple switchable inputs and the bonus of a headphone stage. I think the Bushmaster would be an excellent companion for neutral or warm-sounding gear (including vintage gear) but I personally feel that it may overcook a system which features bright sounding speakers and amplification.

Again, personal preference comes into play. One man’s bright is another man’s detailed, and one man’s warm is another man’s timbre/tone. Each to their own at the end of the day!

Great work Stanley, particularly with regards to the performance and selling price of this DAC. :)

StanleyB
01-05-2013, 07:30
What I set out to do was to design an accurate, detailed, and neutral as possible DAC that is the nearest thing to a straight piece of wire with D to A ability. In order to achieve that I had to figure out a way of getting the signal from the analogue audio output pin on a DAC chip to the RCA/phono socket with the least amount of components in that path. The benefits of such a method first came to light with the passive mod that devised for the TC-7510 etc.
The principle behind the idea is that a DAC should not add to the sound signature of the signal, but should be a neutral player in the grand scheme of things.

However, I have noticed that just about every person who has compared the Bushmaster to any other DAC, has made the point that the sound signature of the BM is down to its price :doh:.

Now, this is what now has me confused. In the threads about objectivists versus subjectivists great time was spent discussing the purpose of an audio component, and an audio equipment. People talked about designers voicing their designs etc. The BM comes from the school of thought that a DAC should not be voiced, but should be neutral accurate, and detailed.

But this brings it in direct conflict with other DACs that are not designed and built to those principles.
This is quite a bit of a shock and disappointment to me. My design parameter appears to have been associated with its low price. But do cheap DACs sound accurate, detailed, and neutral? Aren't those the parameters associated with a properly designed DAC? Could it be that a DAC with the parameters of the BM not be a good idea after all? Should it sound warmer,less detailed, not so accurate, etc? Would I be able to increase the selling price by voicing the DAC instead and adding those parameters that are associated with a more expensive DAC?
It's an intriguing option that has suddenly reared its head. It also highlights the absurdness of designing a brilliant sounding product and sticking far too low a price on it. Invariably its sound signature is put down to its low price instead of the technical breakthrough required to get the stated aims.

Covenant
01-05-2013, 08:22
I for one would be very disappointed if you changed your approach Stan. I don't want to listen to someone's idea of a nice sound, I want to listen to how it was recorded or as close as is possible.

NRG
01-05-2013, 09:18
Stan, please do not change your design philosophy or pricing structure. Your products sound superb no matter what the price. Its an unfortunate trait that probably affects us all where we relate 'quality' to the price tag, many times wrongly, and in the process the real exceptions like your products get tar'd with the same brush.

I read the previous posts with some dismay and amazement, my new cars headlights are really poor, much worse than the units on my previous car of the same type and manufacturer, really they are barely fit for purpose but in all other aspects the car is fantastic and better than its predecessor - should I send it back for a refund :scratch: No, of course not but I have the option to take the issue up with the manufacturer and give my feedback constructively instead of 'ranting' on an internet forum about some rather small injustice. :mental:

I hope you continue to produce successful class leading and breaking products at affordable price points.

Clive
01-05-2013, 09:32
Stan, I've been reviewing quiet a few DACs recently. The biggest problem I have is that they all sound virtually the same. I have to listen very analytically via my revealing system to pick out the differences. I've not heard a BM but from what I've read I expect it would be closer to the Metrum Octave or Ciúnas in sound, in part due to the way you've designed the output to be very direct. The DACs I mention are not run of the mill sounding, they communicate well. The trouble is that people spending on say Rega and MDAC etc have to feel they get a better sound as they've spent more. I have my views on those DACs and can believe the BM would be interesting in comparison. I say keep going in the same direction that took you to the BM. One alternative is to put the BM into a really expensive case and quadruple the price. Also sell a version with no holds barred power supply for 6 or 7 times the price of the base unit you sell today.

icehockeyboy
01-05-2013, 10:07
My two pennerth.........

I had one of his first dacs which improved the cdp that I was using at the time, I think it was an MF X Ray v3, but when I went "up" to a Consonance Linear 2.2 I couldn't detect any improvement, so it went in favour of a dac combination, Theta Pro Progeny A, with upgraded PSU and anti jitter device which was around £1700 RRP.

This was then used with the 2.2's replacement, the SBT, and I was pleased with the performance, until I then had a swap around and had to lose some kit because of too many boxes, strangely I found the in built dac of the SBT to be almost on a par with the Theta, so I happily went dac less and banked the cash.

But, at the time there was a lot of enthusiasm about Stans soon to be released Bushmaster, and, after it actually got released, and I had read all of the comments regarding how good it was, decided to try one.

My thoughts basically echoed what Jandl ( Jerry) had said about it, and to my ears bettered what the Theta had done, at approx one ninth of the costa,

Stan, just keep on doing what you do best, making amazing dacs at amazing (low!) prices! :cool:

barry-potter
01-05-2013, 10:48
it is human nature i suppose to think that something that costs more then something else will be better. the more i found out about hifi the more i realise this is complete bollocks. there comes a point where it just sounds different. now, i used to build stuff from kits and i got obsessed about having the shortest lengths of cable. without knowing it i was subscribing to the 'less is more' principle and my journey has ended up with me having nva amps/speakers and a bushmaster. so i subscribe to stans way of thinking. in theory fewer components means less cost, no? of course you have to factor in design.

as far as future design goes what do you have up your sleeve? the one area i would like to improve in my setup is the usb/spdif. i would prefer usb to go straight to the dac to a well implemented module (preferably with its own power supply). also is there any benefit in increasing the number of dacs per channel (i know that increases the component count but maybe the ups are greater than the downs)?

pete_mac
01-05-2013, 10:48
I've not heard a BM but from what I've read I expect it would be closer to the Metrum Octave or Ciúnas in sound, in part due to the way you've designed the output to be very direct.

IMHO the Octave, the older JKDAC32 and the newer Metrum Hex are a class above. This opinion isn't swayed by pricing in any way, shape or form - it is based upon what I've been lucky enough to listen to, and focuses upon sonic merit alone. The Hex is one of the DACs that took part in my recent comparison, and it's an utterly superb DAC at any price.

The Bushmaster sounds closer to the JK Sabre DAC IMHO. It has a brighter and more detailed presentation than the JKDAC32 (upon which the Ciunas is based).

Transparency isn't the be-all and end-all in a DAC IMHO. I've heard similarly neutral and transparent DACs which sound different regarding attack, decay, sound stage width and depth. The Bushmaster is a great technical achievement, no doubt, but it lacked the 'jump' factor in both of the systems that I heard it on to really engage me vs some of the other DACs at hand, as well as a few similarly priced DACs that I've previously heard.

I think I'm the kind of listener who is willing to sacrifice a bit of absolute resolution in exchange for realistic timbre and tone which helps to achieve suspension of disbelief. This also rules out some mega-buck DACs for me which seem to be all about ultra-detailed, hifi presentation at the expense of musicality.

Again, this is one man's opinion. The best way to judge the Bushmaster is to get your hands on one and listen for yourself. It is a worthy inclusion on anybody's short list.

Clive
01-05-2013, 10:55
IMHO the Octave, the older JKDAC32 and the newer Metrum Hex are a class above. This opinion isn't swayed by pricing in any way, shape or form - it is based upon what I've been lucky enough to listen to, and focuses upon sonic merit alone. The Hex is one of the DACs that took part in my recent comparison, and it's an utterly superb DAC at any price.

The Bushmaster sounds closer to the JK Sabre DAC IMHO. It has a brighter and more detailed presentation than the JKDAC32 (upon which the Ciunas is based).

Transparency isn't the be-all and end-all in a DAC IMHO. I've heard similarly neutral and transparent DACs which sound different regarding attack, decay, sound stage width and depth. The Bushmaster is a great technical achievement, no doubt, but it lacked the 'jump' factor in both of the systems that I heard it on to really engage me vs some of the other DACs at hand, as well as a few similarly priced DACs that I've previously heard.

I think I'm the kind of listener who is willing to sacrifice a bit of absolute resolution in exchange for realistic timbre and tone which helps to achieve suspension of disbelief. This also rules out some mega-buck DACs for me which seem to be all about ultra-detailed, hifi presentation at the expense of musicality.

Again, this is one man's opinion. The best way to judge the Bushmaster is to get your hands on one and listen for yourself. It is a worthy inclusion on anybody's short list.
It's tricky to compare a USB only DAC with an SPDIF only DAC. I'm interested to know what were the transports you used.

BTW, the Ciúnas is quite a step up from the 32 in terms of focus, soundstage, treble detail and decay.

DSJR
01-05-2013, 11:01
I'm sure power supply is all important these days - as well as keeping noise away from the output stage supply line (if there's a separate output stage of course). I was very surprised how different humble op-amps can perform with supply upgrades, something that may well be dealt with in todays mechanically flimsy but possibly better electronically CD players and DACs.

StanleyB
01-05-2013, 11:21
In order to achieve realistic timbre and tone in a DAC designed along the lines of a straight piece of wire, they have to exist in the original source material. But when that information is not present, it is possible to voice the analogue audio output stage to mimic those parameters. But it can also be used to accentuate parameters that would otherwise not be so prominent in the actual audio file or musical production. Previously these sort of tampering with the music was left to the end user through the addition of treble bass, and loudness controls. But such facilities would look out of place on a DAC. Mind you, DAC chip manufacturers have been adding those things to their chip and leave it up to the designers if it is used or not.

I have read many times that detail is not so important for some owners. But the side effect of extremely low jitter is increased detail. You can't have one without the other. Less detail means more jitter and blending of signals. So signal separation becomes worse. It's a question of what do we as an individual expect and what do we enjoy. Maybe DACs should be fitted with a switch that says 'the whole truth' on one end, and 'the sexed up version' at the other end.

pete_mac
01-05-2013, 11:25
It's tricky to compare a USB only DAC with an SPDIF only DAC. I'm interested to know what were the transports you used.

BTW, the Ciúnas is quite a step up from the 32 in terms of focus, soundstage, treble detail and decay.

Thanks for the feedback regarding the Ciúnas! I hope to hear it some day.

When previous listening comparisons were made between the JK USB DACs and other DACs, the transports included an Audiophilleo 2 and JKSPDIFmk3 via a Mac Mini. The recent comparisons featured the Resonessence Concero as a USB to SPDIF converter via a Mac Mini which fed the SPDIF-input DACs with a clean, low-jitter feed. The Concero also acted as its own interface as it is a USB DAC. It's a very versatile bit of kit, and as a USB interface it is damn close to the Audiophilleo 2.

We did not have the JKDAC32 to compare directly with the Bushmaster during the recent session, but we had previously listened extensively to both of the JK DACs back-to-back, and the 32 was clearly the more subdued of the two.

DSJR
01-05-2013, 11:27
Maybe DACs should be fitted with a switch that says 'the whole truth' on one end, and 'the sexed up version' at the other end.

:lol: - True though ;)

pete_mac
01-05-2013, 11:35
In order to achieve realistic timbre and tone in a DAC designed along the lines of a straight piece of wire, they have to exist in the original source material. But when that information is not present, it is possible to voice the analogue audio output stage to mimic those parameters. But it can also be used to accentuate parameters that would otherwise not be so prominent in the actual audio file or musical production. Previously these sort of tampering with the music was left to the end user through the addition of treble bass, and loudness controls. But such facilities would look out of place on a DAC. Mind you, DAC chip manufacturers have been adding those things to their chip and leave it up to the designers if it is used or not.

I have read many times that detail is not so important for some owners. But the side effect of extremely low jitter is increased detail. You can't have one without the other. Less detail means more jitter and blending of signals. So signal separation becomes worse. It's a question of what do we as an individual expect and what do we enjoy. Maybe DACs should be fitted with a switch that says 'the whole truth' on one end, and 'the sexed up version' at the other end.

The effect of bass and treble controls on an amp is far more significant than the subtle tonal differences between some DACs which, to my ears, can be the difference between losing one's self in the music, and failing to be engaged.

As I said, I absolutely respect your DAC from a technical standpoint Stanley, and you've achieved exactly what you set out to do. I just wasn't as taken with it as many folk here are, and I prefer other DACs at this price point. Not all reviews will be glowing. There's nothing wrong with this... it would be extremely boring if we all agreed and all liked exactly the same thing.;)

magiccarpetride
01-05-2013, 16:36
What I set out to do was to design an accurate, detailed, and neutral as possible DAC that is the nearest thing to a straight piece of wire with D to A ability. In order to achieve that I had to figure out a way of getting the signal from the analogue audio output pin on a DAC chip to the RCA/phono socket with the least amount of components in that path. The benefits of such a method first came to light with the passive mod that devised for the TC-7510 etc.
The principle behind the idea is that a DAC should not add to the sound signature of the signal, but should be a neutral player in the grand scheme of things.

However, I have noticed that just about every person who has compared the Bushmaster to any other DAC, has made the point that the sound signature of the BM is down to its price :doh:.

Now, this is what now has me confused. In the threads about objectivists versus subjectivists great time was spent discussing the purpose of an audio component, and an audio equipment. People talked about designers voicing their designs etc. The BM comes from the school of thought that a DAC should not be voiced, but should be neutral accurate, and detailed.

But this brings it in direct conflict with other DACs that are not designed and built to those principles.
This is quite a bit of a shock and disappointment to me. My design parameter appears to have been associated with its low price. But do cheap DACs sound accurate, detailed, and neutral? Aren't those the parameters associated with a properly designed DAC? Could it be that a DAC with the parameters of the BM not be a good idea after all? Should it sound warmer,less detailed, not so accurate, etc? Would I be able to increase the selling price by voicing the DAC instead and adding those parameters that are associated with a more expensive DAC?
It's an intriguing option that has suddenly reared its head. It also highlights the absurdness of designing a brilliant sounding product and sticking far too low a price on it. Invariably its sound signature is put down to its low price instead of the technical breakthrough required to get the stated aims.

When I keep repeating the amazing price/performance ratio of this product, I'm doing it only in order to highlight my puzzlement over people's nitpicking on some irrelevant features of the DAC (such as blue LED lights, sleep mode, etc.)

I've compared your DAC with a few more expensive ones. BM wins in my book. Why? This may be down to personal preferences, but I find many high-end DACs to do a lot of editorializing of the music material they're processing. Not so with BM, who seems to be sticking to the bare facts.

Yes, it is true that such-and-such a high-end DAC sounds much 'juicier', 'wetter', delivering more 'whomp' with overblown impression of happy/shiny instrumental timber and so on. But after the initial infatuation with the seductive sexiness of such euphonic sound wears off, I find myself left with a bit of a listening fatigue. Going back to BM's bare bones presentation feels like such a relief. As you've commented, if the rich timbre is indeed present in the source signal, BM is gonna do its best to fish it out. If it's not present, BM is going to give us a leaner presentation. In this way, I think BM is being quite honest. Can't say the same thing about some other hi fi gear I've auditioned.

One thing I've noticed about BM -- it really rewards any and all efforts to clean up the upstream signal. I've been doing a lot (and I mean a LOT) of tweaking upstream from the DAC, and any time I manage to lower the noise and deliver cleaner signal, BM would convert it to analog with such panache, resulting in a much more musical overall sound. Worth every ounce of effort:)

magiccarpetride
01-05-2013, 16:41

To say that detail is not important doesn't make any sense. It's like going to see Cezanne's masterpiece and claiming that the lighting in the exhibition hall is not important. What, if not light, matters when attempting to experience a visual masterpiece? In the same regard, what, if not detail, is important when attempting to experience music?

mudan
01-05-2013, 17:31
I believe the Bushmaster is able to be priced low due to the limited number of components used, however in Hi-Fi this can work to advantage with a more direct signal path and through careful component selection you can end up with great results as we have here. Audio wise the bushmaster is a fine choice along with plenty of inputs(exc USB!) and an enjoyable headphone amp. Had I not had my disagreements over the sleep feature I'd still have one today. I liked the sound that much(see my earlier review) that I even ordered the Mark Grant psu within a few days!

I now have my m-dac so from memory I'm comparing a Bushmaster at £335(Inc linear psu +extra S-Booster) For those who have not upgraded the psu I think it really is an essential upgrade. The extra S-Booster also helps - once I'd heard it I couldn't be without it. Out of the box the m-dac sounded more neutral and impressive but I had a feeling I was hearing a veil due to all those extra components - there's a lot crammed in there! Have to admit I was a bit worried but after more running in it has really opened out and is a clear upgrade imho over the Bushmaster. I got the mdac at a promo price of £500 so at £165 extra I'm very happy. This was hifi choice's best DAC and best product of the year for 2012 and I can see why. It extracts an amazing amount of detail.
(And yes Hifi choice have heard the Bushmaster)

Xaval
01-05-2013, 20:43

Fantastic post. People want to be excited and PRated all the time and when faced with neutrality and correct timbre they can't handle the truth. The recording is what it is and anything else that's added is coloration. The BM shows the truth of the recording imo.

pete_mac
01-05-2013, 21:03
Yes, it is true that such-and-such a high-end DAC sounds much 'juicier', 'wetter', delivering more 'whomp' with overblown impression of happy/shiny instrumental timber and so on. But after the initial infatuation with the seductive sexiness of such euphonic sound wears off, I find myself left with a bit of a listening fatigue. Going back to BM's bare bones presentation feels like such a relief.

Our experience during the review was the exact opposite regarding listening fatigue.

Ninanina
01-05-2013, 21:20
I can't wait, I should be getting my Bushmaster tomorrow :)

Clive
01-05-2013, 21:31
Our experience during the review was the exact opposite regarding listening fatigue.
So much depends on how the system used is voiced. If the cabling or even amps are setup to favour a specific DAC then a DAC with different set of characteristics will unbalance the system. I spend ages auditioning and adjusting my system to give my review units a decent shot at sounding good. This is really time consuming and needs long term listening to get right, maybe I'm just slow..... That's why I won't review a product in less than 3 weeks.

StanleyB
01-05-2013, 21:31
Fantastic post. People want to be excited and PRated all the time and when faced with neutrality and correct timbre they can't handle the truth. The recording is what it is and anything else that's added is coloration. The BM shows the truth of the recording imo.
Funny you should type that. The BM is the first DAC that I have designed that has been bought by quite a few people within the recording studio and audio equipment manufacturing, and lately also from broadcasting. Some world renowned big name companies have ordered the BM for monitoring purposes.
Mind you, many of them have an additional list of options they would prefer to see in a future version such as XLR sockets and network linked controls. One company even asked if I had a mod and an app so that it could be controlled via an iPAD :eek:.

StanleyB
01-05-2013, 21:33
That's why I won't review a product in less than 3 weeks.
Somehow that reminds me of an ex :eyebrows:.

Clive
01-05-2013, 21:34
Somehow that reminds me of an ex :eyebrows:.
Who was doing the reviewing or was it try before you buy?

StanleyB
01-05-2013, 21:42
Who was doing the reviewing or was it try before you buy? Let's say that it was a performance related reward issue ;).

Pieoftheday
01-05-2013, 21:53
I like my bushmaster,simples:)

pete_mac
01-05-2013, 21:55
So much depends on how the system used is voiced. If the cabling or even amps are setup to favour a specific DAC then a DAC with different set of characteristics will unbalance the system. I spend ages auditioning and adjusting my system to give my review units a decent shot at sounding good. This is really time consuming and needs long term listening to get right, maybe I'm just slow..... That's why I won't review a product in less than 3 weeks.

I had the Bushmaster for two months in my system with similar results to the short half-day shoot-out in my friend's system. The results were similar each time.

As I mentioned in my posts, system synergy plays a substantial role. We felt that the bushmaster over-egged the pudding compared to the other DACs that we had on hand at the time. If we had less revealing speakers and amps at the time, who knows.

MartinT
01-05-2013, 22:04
XLR sockets

Bring it on - balanced outputs are the one thing I wish for in a Bushmaster successor.

icehockeyboy
01-05-2013, 22:19
I don't like the Bushmaster.

I love it!

Xaval
01-05-2013, 22:25
Funny you should type that. The BM is the first DAC that I have designed that has been bought by quite a few people within the recording studio and audio equipment manufacturing, and lately also from broadcasting. Some world renowned big name companies have ordered the BM for monitoring purposes.
Mind you, many of them have an additional list of options they would prefer to see in a future version such as XLR sockets and network linked controls. One company even asked if I had a mod and an app so that it could be controlled via an iPAD :eek:.
Monitoring equipment is supposed to be as dead neutral as possible - I think it's quite logical to chose a BM :)

XLR outs including for the headphones also? A balanced headphone rig by Beresford would be a welcome upgrade for sure. I don't currently own speaker amps for balanced operation, though...
Speaking of neutral sound Stan, which monitoring headphones, if any, have you tested your DAC with? I expect to have a pair of Beyers DT48 back to me in the coming weeks and I can't wait for this acid test with your DAC!

seoirse2002
01-05-2013, 22:29
Monitoring equipment is supposed to be as dead neutral as possible - I think it's quite logical to chose a BM :)

XLR outs including for the headphones also? A balanced headphone rig by Beresford would be a welcome upgrade for sure. I don't currently own speaker amps for balanced operation, though...
Speaking of neutral sound Stan, which monitoring headphones, if any, have you tested your DAC with? I expect to have a pair of Beyers DT48 back to me in the coming weeks and I can't wait for this acid test with your DAC!

are your ears balanced?:lol:

Xaval
01-05-2013, 22:45
are your ears balanced?:lol: Working on it :eyebrows:

magiccarpetride
01-05-2013, 22:49
I had the Bushmaster for two months in my system with similar results to the short half-day shoot-out in my friend's system. The results were similar each time.

As I mentioned in my posts, system synergy plays a substantial role. We felt that the bushmaster over-egged the pudding compared to the other DACs that we had on hand at the time. If we had less revealing speakers and amps at the time, who knows.

I agree, it could be that Bushmaster found a sweet spot in my audio chain. Prior to using the BM, my system veered toward the bright sound. I have attributed that to me using big Magnepan speakers (big as in the size of barn doors). Maggies, as we call them, can be extremely, almost unpleasantly revealing. However, the moment BM entered the picture, the brightness got tamed, and now the overall sound is more on a darkish, brooding side, which I totally adore! So in my experience, BM did the exact opposite -- instead of over-cooking or over-egging the sound, it substantially reduced the overall nervousness (digititis) and made everything sound pleasantly warm, darkish, analog-like, while at the same time preserving every intricate detail.

Ninanina
01-05-2013, 23:43
Hopefully I'll be a Beresford owner later today :)

I have a question: would I be right in saying the Bushmaster could be run off a 12v battery?

If that's the case, if I purchased a motorbike battery and connected it to a 'smart' charger (which I already own), would that improve the sound?

It's a bit of a long shot, but just an idea

Thanks for any knowledge ;)

Bev

Stubies
02-05-2013, 02:10
Hopefully I'll be a Beresford owner later today :)

I have a question: would I be right in saying the Bushmaster could be run off a 12v battery?

If that's the case, if I purchased a motorbike battery and connected it to a 'smart' charger (which I already own), would that improve the sound?

It's a bit of a long shot, but just an idea

Thanks for any knowledge ;)

Bev

Bev,

Remember it takes some burnin time - dont expect the final result form the first day. I read somewhere about 200 hours, and i think that is about right. For me it started bright and harsh - i wondered if it was revealing other system weaknesses (...that i didnt want to know about!) - however, now its sublime.

Better, sharper, more transparent and open than i expected. Much better than the DAC in my CD. Digital out from IPods (with ALAC files) were suddenly listenable, even enjoyable!

If you can do it, don't listen much until the burnin is complete. You will be well rewarded :)

MartinT
02-05-2013, 05:30
Just leave it switched on for a few days, it'll get most of the way there although it needs some music to complete the burn-in. Running off a 12V battery will be fine, but you may find that disconnecting the charger while listening will give you a cleaner sound.

StanleyB
02-05-2013, 10:50
Just received some very sad and bad news. The guy who owns the workshop and the laser cutter that makes the BM case passed away this morning after forgetting not to drink and ride a motorbike last night.
I have no idea at this stage if he ever trained anyone else to operate the laser cutter, or if his widow will keep the workshop running. Too early to approach her for an answer obviously.

What that means for me is that I am likely to be out of stock of the BM sometime in May and will have to start looking for someone else to make the case. He was quite reasonable with how much he charged me considering that each case and panel on the BM is individually hand made. This could not have come at a worse moment. He was busy helping me with the design of the case of the Caiman replacement.

That reminds me that Werner was also not well. He was helping me with the template and lettering before falling seriously ill.

icehockeyboy
02-05-2013, 11:00
Just received some very sad and bad news. The guy who owns the workshop and the laser cutter that makes the BM case passed away this morning after forgetting not to drink and ride a motorbike last night.
I have no idea at this stage if he ever trained anyone else to operate the laser cutter, or if his widow will keep the workshop running. Too early to approach her for an answer obviously.

What that means for me is that I am likely to be out of stock of the BM sometime in May and will have to start looking for someone else to make the case. He was quite reasonable with how much he charged me considering that each case and panel on the BM is individually hand made. This could not have come at a worse moment. He was busy helping me with the design of the case of the Caiman replacement.

That reminds me that Werner was also not well. He was helping me with the template and lettering before falling seriously ill.

Sad to hear that Stan.

Lets hope Werner gets well soon, and commiserations to the other guys family.

pete_mac
02-05-2013, 11:13
Gee, that's awful news. Life can change in the blink of an eye.

RIP, and I hope you manage to sort out a source of these parts soon Stanley.

MartinT
02-05-2013, 11:26
Very bad news, Stan. Life is precious.

I didn't know about Werner being unwell and wish him a rapid recovery.

StanleyB
02-05-2013, 11:32
I shall certainly pass on the messages.
I am not sure what state Werner is in though. He managed to make it through last year, just. But he has not responded to my last email sent in February.
I'll send him a follow up one just in case.

Ninanina
02-05-2013, 19:29
I am so sorry to hear that Stan, that is tragic news

My thoughts are with the family

keiths
02-05-2013, 19:43
My condolences too, Stan.

I was just thinking the other day that Werner hadn't been around on here for a while.

Fi-Wi
03-05-2013, 06:41
These two sentences in your post might wrongly suggest that they are related to each other.

Yours being the first post of a new page (well at least on my laptop) therefore might scare the hell out of some of us, so I'd like to clarify that the condolances do not refer to Werner.

Truely hope he is feeling well/better though! His absence on AoS struck me as well.

Werner Berghofer
03-05-2013, 13:39
Steven,

Truely hope he is feeling well/better though! His absence on AoS struck me as well.

many thanks for your kind words, and don’t worry: I’m still alive and well, but I fear there’s not much I have to contribute to the various threads here on AoS.

Werner.

Fi-Wi
03-05-2013, 16:17
Werner, I am glad to hear that you are doing allright.

Although I don't know you well personally (who does on internet forums) and I am not a regular poster, I always like(d) reading your posts and insights.

And I bet there are more of me. :)

Gazjam
03-05-2013, 16:38
Werner, there's life outside hifi and hifi forums!
Hope your well and congrats on not being trapped here onlilne like the rest of us!

Gaz.

TCats
03-05-2013, 16:40
Werner, I am glad to hear that you are doing allright.

Although I don't know you well personally (who does on internet forums) and I am not a regular poster, I always like(d) reading your posts and insights.

And I bet there are more of me. :)

Well there is me too.:)

MartinT
03-05-2013, 22:48
It's good to hear from you again, Werner.

Werner Berghofer
04-05-2013, 07:28
Craig, Dave, Gaz, Jerry, Keith, Martin, Stan, Steven, Terry:

It's good to hear from you again, Werner.

many thanks to you all for your kind words. I was not aware that I had so many virtual friends here :-)

Here’s what happened: As a passionate smoker of black, thick French cigarettes for more than 40 years I had developed a moderate form of COPD at least 15 years ago. In August last year things got serious since I suffered a series of pneumonias and painful asthmatic spasms in the chest. Often during these attacks I had no idea how to take the next breath, and more than once I experienced fear of death. Almost weekly I had to be transported to the next hospital by an ambulance car (often during odd hours deep in the night) to enable me to breathe again.

Fortunately this happened the last time until now early October last year, more than seven months ago, and I think and do hope these asthamatic spasms won’t return ever again.

On August 6th, 2012, during a pneumonia I was not aware of (but I felt very weak) and before the first lung cramps, I opted for cold turkey and immediately stopped smoking without further medical or psychological support. Contrary to popular opinion and experience I lost weight afterwards, probably because my food preferences changed. I rarely drink coffee anymore (I used to love Italian espresso), but I drink a lot of black tea (Darjeeling, Assam and Ceylon). My days now start with slow motion, flowing Qi-Gong exercises. No more early cigarette while waiting for the coffee ;-)

I love music and life more than ever; I saw many really sick people and a lot of grief during my days in the various hospitals. My favourite music is from the singer-songwriters Mary Chapin Carpenter, Lucinda Williams, Gretchen Peters and Fabrizio De André. I love compositions of Ludovico Einaudi, Dustin O’Halloran, Erik Satie, György Ligeti and Philip Glass (just to name a few) and angelic voices like for example Jane Monheit or Loreena McKennitt. As long as my music reproduction gear sounds good and is easy on the eye I don’t care too much for it, so I have been silent here on AoS during the last months.

Now back to my work, to design the faceplate of Stan’s new top secret killer DAC :-)

Many thanks again for your sympathy, my dear friends. Highly appreciated.

Werner.

synsei
04-05-2013, 07:41
I am pleased you got to tackle your COPD early enough to do something about it Werner, unfortunately my Mum wasn't quite so fortunate. As a result I gave up smoking myself and I have not looked back. It's good to see you posting back on AoS again sir, myself and my good lady Jo send you our very best wishes... ;)

Covenant
04-05-2013, 08:04
Best wishes from me too Werner. It's superb that you gave up smoking like that and I have heard that after 10 years your lungs will be as good as someone who has never smoked.
We need more Schiit news not shit news! :lol:

MartinT
04-05-2013, 09:56
I love music and life more than ever; I saw many really sick people and a lot of grief during my days in the various hospitals. My favourite music is from the singer-songwriters Mary Chapin Carpenter, Lucinda Williams, Gretchen Peters and Fabrizio De André. I love compositions of Ludovico Einaudi, Dustin O’Halloran, Erik Satie, György Ligeti and Philip Glass (just to name a few) and angelic voices like for example Jane Monheit or Loreena McKennitt.

That's what happens when you get a life-shock like that. Enjoy and get something from every day. Live for now, not future plans. You are a man of taste, it shouldn't be difficult :)

webby
04-05-2013, 10:38
Here’s what happened: As a passionate smoker of black, thick French cigarettes for more than 40 years I had developed a moderate form of COPD at least 15 years ago. In August last year things got serious since I suffered a series of pneumonias and painful asthmatic spasms in the chest. Often during these attacks I had no idea how to take the next breath, and more than once I experienced fear of death. Almost weekly I had to be transported to the next hospital by an ambulance car (often during odd hours deep in the night) to enable me to breathe again.

Fortunately this happened the last time until now early October last year, more than seven months ago, and I think and do hope these asthamatic spasms won’t return ever again.....

I contacted Werner back in August last year around the time of his birthday. He informed me that he had been poorly, but that it was 'just a pneumonia'.

Talk about playing things down!

Again around christmas time he informed that his health had improved just recently.

I thought that the initial pneumonia was under control and had no idea that it was as bad as Werner has described above.

I am very glad to hear that he is doing much better now.

Stay well Werner!

Xaval
04-05-2013, 11:08
Now back to my work, to design the faceplate of Stan’s new top secret killer DAC :-)

Werner.
Hey, I'm a new member around here but I read a lot and wanted to say that your contributions for the BM faceplate were quite appreciated :)

We all need goals and projects to make life even more interesting and a new Beresford product could just be the ticket. Looking forward to see how it all develops. In the mean time, I really wish your health improves along the way. Beauty and generosity is a great ticket for another great day. Make it count.

Alex_UK
04-05-2013, 13:34
Gosh, not much I can add that others haven't said, but hope things turn out for the best Werner.

keiths
04-05-2013, 13:52
Good to hear from you and that you're on the mend Werner. Hope things continue to improve.

Ninanina
04-05-2013, 17:51
Well done Werner for stopping smoking so that your health can hopefully improve further

After many attempts I finally kicked the habit 3 Christmas's ago, and this time it stuck....phew. I know how difficult it can be

Only booze now, well maybe a 'legal high' here and there too but I don't count that :stalks::stalks::stalks::stalks::stalks:

realysm42
04-05-2013, 19:18
If you're talking about what I think you are Nina,mid be extremely careful, they can be a hell of a lot more damaging than the illegal stuff (and only legal as they're not illegal yet, before proper classification).

Ninanina
04-05-2013, 19:31
Thanks Martin for you're concern

Don't worry about me, I'll be just fine..... It's a very rare thing anyhow so I'm sure it's ok

If not, are well, i'm not too worried

:eek:

Ninanina
04-05-2013, 20:40
Is there anyone that's tried just the 'SBooster' from Mark Grant on their Bushmaster?

I'd love to try the Linear power supply from Mark but funds won't allow at the mo

I was thinking just the SBooster for now

Thanks all

Bev

alan47
04-05-2013, 20:58
I tried just the sbooster with my BM,did not like what it did,may be i was to quick to judge ,i sent it back to Mark,so you can't go wrong really.
I do find the sbooster works well on it's own with my SB classic and the linear sbooster psu makes my SB touch come on song,but i still prefer the BM as it came out of the box.Just goes to show you can't tell till you try..

Ninanina
04-05-2013, 21:03
Thanks Alan for your comments

I think I'll leave the Bushmaster alone for a couple of months to see how it goes before trying anything else with it

Can you tell me what other Dac's did you compare the BM with?

Thanks

Bev

bigmarty
04-05-2013, 21:44
Hi Werner,

By God boy you don't no how many people who's life you influence on this great forum, love your straight forward thinking, keep well and all the best. Looking forward to Stans new Dac.............:)

Marty :D

NRG
04-05-2013, 22:46
IME you're better off saving the £30 the sBooster will cost you and put it towards a linear PSU.

wee tee cee
05-05-2013, 18:37
werner,
just read the tales of woe.....you were a valued council to me regards smoking and cans-my thoughts and hopes go out to you and yours...get well, you are a tremendous voice of clarity within our community.....

Ali Tait
05-05-2013, 18:50
Aye, nice to see you around again Werner, keep up the good schiit!

icehockeyboy
06-05-2013, 09:35
Werner, there's life outside hifi and hifi forums.

Gaz.

There is? :scratch: :D

icehockeyboy
06-05-2013, 09:55
Is there anyone that's tried just the 'SBooster' from Mark Grant on their Bushmaster?

I'd love to try the Linear power supply from Mark but funds won't allow at the mo

I was thinking just the SBooster for now

Thanks all

Bev

I have one, which is now on Bushmaster duties, thanks to Mark who sorted the necessary connection for a very fair price , digressing slightly here, but I found that for £27.50 it was a worthwhile improvement.
Now, since buying one of Mark's linear PSU's I would urge you to keep the money and save up for the " best of both worlds" PSU, which has the S Booster hard wired on it, I found the improvement to be really good, and worth the extra outlay.

WAD62
06-05-2013, 10:08
I’m still alive and well, but I fear there’s not much I have to contribute to the various threads here on AoS.

Werner.

Good news Werner, all the best...:)

mudan
06-05-2013, 16:29
I found that the linear psu(+S-Booster) with an extra S-Booster sounded even better. So if you're spreading cost then I'd buy a S-Booster to start with then a linear psu later and then combine them both for even better results. I know that most hifi gear responds well to better mains but I was surprised at the improvements especially considering that the Bushmaster is supposed to have some form of virtual battery operation.

magiccarpetride
06-05-2013, 17:40

Werner.

So happy to read that you've managed to emerge victorious from your health challenge, Werner. I hope things fully stabilize for you, and here is to many more years of music enjoyment!

icehockeyboy
08-05-2013, 11:17
I found that the linear psu(+S-Booster) with an extra S-Booster sounded even better. So if you're spreading cost then I'd buy a S-Booster to start with then a linear psu later and then combine them both for even better results. I know that most hifi gear responds well to better mains but I was surprised at the improvements especially considering that the Bushmaster is supposed to have some form of virtual battery operation.

What improvement was there by doubling up the S Boosters?

highstream
08-05-2013, 16:25
I posted a thread for ideas for a TV Dac (2.0) and someone suggested the 7510, but it appears that the 7530 is not much more, even with shipping to the States. That leads me to a few questions. Before I do, the recent discussion concerning sound preferences and the BM reminds me of what I've gone through with the HRT microStreamer vs. other Dacs for my computer desktop system. The microStreamer is being highly touted for its detail, transparency and soundstage, what I call "sound," yet what caught my attention from first listen through burnin was its dryness (coolness); that is, it had the pieces elements of musical sound but not its tonality; i.e., singers and instruments didn't resemble the real thing (ask musicians about "dry"). If forced to choose, I'll take the latter over extra detail (breathiness) any day.

So, my questions (recognizing there may be unfortunate supply problems for awhile):

- On the pieces of sound vs tonality continuum, where does the 7530 fall?

- Is there a photo of the back of the 7530 available? Didn't see one on the site (the site is not showing any information/faq right now)

- Does the Gator upgrade apply to the 7530 and, if so, what is the difference between the opamp and no opamp choices (powered speaker system, no headphones)?

- Have there been any switching problems between devices? With my TV, I've had sound dropout issues with a USB 5v powered Dac (Audioengine D1), but not with a mains (AC) powered one (Micromega MyDac).

- What is the difference between the regular BM Dacs and the Caiman versions?

Thanks,
Gene

Xaval
08-05-2013, 19:18
Hi, here goes my .02

- On the sound vs tonality continuum, where does the 7530 fall?
The BM is typically neutral tending a bit to the warm side. If the recording has the "sound" the BM will show it - don't expect to hear what isn't there. Sound and tonality are not exactly conceptual or objective in nature... they're just words :)

- Is there a photo of the back of the 7530 available? Didn't see one on the site (the site is not showing any information/faq right now)
http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/771896/

- Does the Gator upgrade apply to the 7530 and, if so, what is the difference between the opamp and no opamp choices (powered speaker system, no headphones)?
No gator board for the BM.

- Have there been any switching problems between devices? With my TV, I've had sound dropout issues with a USB 5v powered Dac (Audioengine D1), but not with a mains (AC) powered one (Micromega MyDac).
I use only 1 input for each of my DACs. So... no issues.

Many members have/had both. I'm sure they'll post impressions.

MartinT
08-05-2013, 20:43
- On the pieces of sound vs tonality continuum, where does the 7530 fall?

The BM is a very neutral, highly detailed and reasonably dynamic DAC. Its performance is further boosted by using a good linear power supply.

The Gator is strictly for the Caiman and improves its line outputs for better drive to preamps etc.

- Have there been any switching problems between devices?

No, it manually switches fine between inputs but I disable the auto circuit which I dislike. For AV sourced sound (Sky HD, Blu-ray etc.) it does an outstanding job.

The Caiman and BM are different products and have no commonality. I have both and the Caiman with Gator is good, but the BM is in another class of performance.

highstream
09-05-2013, 05:57
Just to clarify my terminology, by tonally accurate I'm referring to pitch. Ask most any musician, "dry" is not accurate pitch - it's low - and I'm one of those people that pick up on it instantly. "Musical" is a commonly used synonyn for it. For me, enjoying the music, not the sound reproduction, comes first. In doing a search through this long thread, back roughly a year and a few months, I found only three people who called the 7530 musical in this sense, and for one of them it was only after doing a lot of tweaks on the input side. A couple of others seemed to be using it to cover other characteristics and another two or three were referring to how the BM sounded with one song. On the other side, someone said the 7530 wasn't as musical as another Dac. I don't know if it's unfair, and of course I haven't heard the BM, but given the length of the thread that doesn't seem like very many in the accurate tonality direction.

Talking about terminology, I have a hard time grasping what "neutral" means, because it's used in so many ways. Before someone says it means reproducing what's on the recording, I have to remind that if a 100-200 GBP Dac is really neutral, then who needs 5k or 10k Dacs, let alone 500 $ or GBP ones? and 2) every developer has their own musical ears and sound preferences, i.e., a house sound, which all aren't the same, even though "neutral" gets applied often to their products.

The pitfall buying on the lower end of the market is what might be called the Wow Factor. Given the heavy competition and the wide variety of users' ears, it's tempting and most cost effective for developers to go with what will create the greatest immediate impression and sense of owning audiophile equipment for the buck: detail, transparency, soundstage. Against those, getting accurate tonality or pitch often means a lot more development time and product cost for a quality that doesn't have the same impact or sell - at least not the first time around.

So when I read a lot of reviews that say detail, transparency and soundstage, and maybe toss in neutral, but don't say tonally accurate or musical or something similar, then I have to pause. Hence, my question about where the BM falls on the continuum.

MartinT
09-05-2013, 06:10
Gene - when I said it's tonally neutral, that's what I meant and it's a compliment. I don't detect any leaning towards 'warm' or 'cold', it just reproduces what's there without colouration. Comparing the Caiman, for instance, I would say that it errs slightly on the warm side (I have both).

As to more expensive DACs, there's always more detail retrieval, wider and deeper soundstage etc. I would say that the only aspect of the BM that is obviously not high end is in its dynamic portrayal, which doesn't have the knockout clout of my Ayre disc player. Then again, the price difference is laughable. In that respect, the Bushmaster is an absolute bargain and punches way above its weight.

highstream
09-05-2013, 06:24
Martin, I know you mean neutral as a compliment, but to me it begs the question re both points I made. When I listen to a "neutral" Dac that makes a tonally accurate or even slightly bright recording sound dry, i.e., that is tonally low (E leans a little toward B sharp, so to speak), and there are plenty of audio components that do that to one degree or another while at the same time providing great detail, transparency, etc., then what does neutral mean? The question I always ask is, do singers sound like real singers and instruments sound like real instruments tonally - i.e., does it sound like (resemble) real music, not just some pieces of it?

StanleyB
09-05-2013, 06:41
Just to clarify my terminology, by tonally accurate I'm referring to pitch. Ask most any musician, "dry" is not accurate pitch - it's low - and I'm one of those people that pick up on it instantly. "Musical" is a commonly used synonyn for it. For me, enjoying the music, not the sound reproduction, comes first.
All three of my kids are qualified musicians and my house is littered with some expensive musical instruments that I have had to buy for them over the last two decades. So when it comes to tone accuracy etc I have an abundance of musicians to call upon and instruments to do a real A/B test against.

Talking about terminology, I have a hard time grasping what "neutral" means, because it's used in so many ways. Before someone says it means reproducing what's on the recording, I have to remind that if a 100-200 GBP Dac is really neutral, then who needs 5k or 10k Dacs, let alone 500 $ or GBP ones? and 2) every developer has their own musical ears and sound preferences, i.e., a house sound, which all aren't the same, even though "neutral" gets applied often to their products.
Neutral is what it says. It is the actual sound that is coming directly out of the DAC chip. Once you add even a capacitor in the signal path the sound is no longer neutral. The BM is wired for sound.
I have been told many times over the years that I sell my DACs far too cheap. Your comments are a typical example of why it is better to price something way over the top. Cheaper items are looked down on. But don't worry. I am looking forward to releasing a U$2000 DAC and laughing all the way to the bank. Others have been doing that for ages and getting away with it. And going by the assumption that a lot of $$$ looks far more respectable it is the obvious thing to do.

The pitfall buying on the lower end of the market is what might be called the Wow Factor. Given the heavy competition and the wide variety of users' ears, it's tempting and most cost effective for developers to go with what will create the greatest immediate impression and sense of owning audiophile equipment for the buck: detail, transparency, soundstage. Against those, getting accurate tonality or pitch often means a lot more development time and product cost for a quality that doesn't have the same impact or sell - at least not the first time around.

So when I read a lot of reviews that say detail, transparency and soundstage, and maybe toss in neutral, but don't say tonally accurate or musical or something similar, then I have to pause. Hence, my question about where the BM falls on the continuum.
I don't know how much development time others spend on their DACs but I am not an overnight operation. There are less than a handful of current DAC manufacturers who were selling DACs when I started up. I spend years on the development of each item. The BM started R&D in 2009 which is four years ago. How long would you say is long enough for R&D? Put a figure on it since you raised the point.

synsei
09-05-2013, 06:51
Stan, you are coming across as a little defensive and there is no need to be, you may end up losing a potential sale if you are not careful. Gene, your best bet is to try and grab a listen to a Bushmaster before you buy one and then you can make your own judgement on whether it is for you or not using your own ears. That's my best advice for you ;)

MartinT
09-05-2013, 06:56
Martin, I know you mean neutral as a compliment, but to me it begs the question re both points I made. When I listen to a "neutral" Dac that makes a tonally accurate or even slightly bright recording sound dry, i.e., that is tonally low (E leans a little toward B sharp, so to speak), and there are plenty of audio components that do that to one degree or another while at the same time providing great detail, transparency, etc., then what does neutral mean? The question I always ask is, do singers sound like real singers and instruments sound like real instruments tonally - i.e., does it sound like (resemble) real music, not just some pieces of it?

Yes, music and voices sound real. I can't see how a crystal clocked DAC can be even slightly off correct tone, but my ears tell me that what it is doing is accurate. A human voice sounds correct to me.