PDA

View Full Version : Beresford Bushmaster DAC Reviews

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

worrasf
14-06-2012, 14:23
Get to try a Sennheiser HD800 with the Bushmaster :eyebrows:
Jeez Stan - good job my wife doesnt read these posts - yet more money on the line for HiFi kit various :eek:. The repairs to the Beyerdynamics will be (a very reasonable I think) £70 + VAT and P&P but I'll look out for a pair of HD800's at a reasonable price but looking at prices on The Bay at the moment I think I'll pay for a holiday in the sun instead :)

Steve

StanleyB
14-06-2012, 14:35
The Denon D7000 is also a very good choice and worth trying. A pity you are not close by to me otherwise you could come and try them all out. As for paying for them: ever considered moving into Harley Street ;)?

slate
14-06-2012, 15:43
... Once I manage to add a variable output on the BM I shall be able to retire my analogue preamp for good.

Still holding out for "that" to replace my Caiman+ in the big setup

worrasf
14-06-2012, 16:13
As for paying for them: ever considered moving into Harley Street ;)?

Clearly youv'e not seen my ex-wife's financial settlement ( I hope you havent anyway) :lol:
:stalks:

Steve

magiccarpetride
14-06-2012, 16:30
The Caiman relied on a receiver chip that has a old style jitter performance (i.e. not state of the art). The Bushmaster uses a crystal locked oscillator instead, which has also been kept away from any other nearby oscillation circuits. This is one of the reasons why the so "familiar" jitter harshness in digital music files isn't present in the Bushmaster. I expect other designers to copy that section of my design once they have figured out how it operates.

The effect of that newfangled crystal locked oscillator is quite startling, Stan. It completely changes everything, and offers, in a wholesale fashion, a brand new presentation. It really is forcing me now to set aside a lot of free time to go back and revisit and re-listen and re-discover my entire music library. Everything, and I truly mean everything I've listened to via Bushmaster so far sounds so incredibly different, that it's not even funny.

My wife (I promise, I'll drag her into this discussion only once) remarked early on how this new sound is "too nice", and how she didn't like it. And indeed, compared to Caiman, back-to-back, Bushmaster tends to sound way too polite.

However, the moment we put on Amy Winehouse, my wife lightened up and said how now this sounds way superior to the old configuration. So it seems almost material-dependent.

magiccarpetride
14-06-2012, 16:43
I've not noticed any burn in, it sounds as good now as it did when I got it. One thing I've found puzzling is that recorded vinyl played back via the same system sounds a little 'enhanced'...I cant put it into words yet but theres something different between playing the LP live and playing the recorded version.

Listening to my modified Caimen in isolation is very good, its not until the BM is switched in do you hear the slight hardness and slightly lean presentation. Its very good, battery pack on the way so hoping for a further improvement.

Well, after 12+ hours of burn-in on the Bushmaster, I may be inclined to agree with you. Unlike with the Caiman, where in my case the burn-in delivered instantly audible change, here I'm not detecting much of a change. Perhaps I should leave it on for another two-three days and then compare?

I am still very baffled and confused that the Bushmaster would change the presentation in such a drastic fashion. For example, listening to Thomas Dolby's "I Scare Myself" (from his 1983 "Flat Earth"), I'm shocked to hear how the trumpet in the right speaker is now completely muffled and pushed into the background, and has lost much, if not all of its previous sparkle (it's almost as if it got castrated). Yes, it is much more polite and pleasant now, but I always felt that that rough edge and sparkle on that trumpet added much of an edge, in a good way, to that production. Can someone/anyone confirm that that's indeed how this (in)famous trumped should sound? (I tend to believe that a lot of people should be familiar with this amazing hit song?)

Thanks, and cheers!

DaveK
14-06-2012, 16:46
When are these BM customers gonna shut up, realise that they've struck gold and just listen to the music? ;) :lol: . I am doing my darnedest to resist the temptation and every time I look at this thread another brick falls out of the wall.
ATM I've got one on my list for Santa but the question is whether I can hold out that long. Anything likely to happen before Christmas, design wise or performance wise, Stan?
Dave.

NB: Rhetorical question and not really expecting an answer :) .

magiccarpetride
14-06-2012, 16:49
When are these BM customers gonna shut up, realise that they've struck gold and just listen to the music? ;) :lol: . I am doing my darnedest to resist the temptation and every time I look at this thread another brick falls out of the wall.
ATM I've got one on my list for Santa but the question is whether I can hold out that long. Anything likely to happen before Christmas, design wise or performance wise, Stan?
Dave.

NB: Rhetorical question and not really expecting an answer :) .

OK Pussyman, time to put up and spread wide (I mean, open up your wallet) and take the plunge. We're talking pocket change here (certainly cheaper than spending one night on town), and it's gonna change your life forever!

StanleyB
14-06-2012, 16:49
So it seems almost material-dependent.
Far from it. This sort of music decoding accuracy has up until now only been possible with expensive and complicated design configurations. But in the midrange price bracket designers have been happy to move the technology further in very small steps so that they can extend the length of their employment within the companies that they work for. I don't have that kind of baggage to carry around. For me it is about the music and I can interact directly with my customers and know right away what works well and what doesn't.

StanleyB
14-06-2012, 16:54
For example, listening to Thomas Dolby's "I Scare Myself" (from his 1983 "Flat Earth"), I'm shocked to hear how the trumpet in the right speaker is now completely muffled and pushed into the background, and has lost much, if not all of its previous sparkle (it's almost as if it got castrated). !
Maybe the trumpeter was using a trumpet mute (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Humes-Berg-Trumpet-Cornet-Cleartone-Mute-HB103-/330703064298?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Brass_RL&hash=item4cff704cea)? May be the Bushmaster is letting you hear that clearly now.

magiccarpetride
14-06-2012, 16:57
Far from it. This sort of music decoding accuracy has up until now only been possible with expensive and complicated design configurations. But in the midrange price bracket designers have been happy to move the technology further in very small steps so that they can extend the length of their employment within the companies that they work for. I don't have that kind of baggage to carry around. For me it is about the music and I can interact directly with my customers and know right away what works well and what doesn't.

Obviously, and your work speaks for itself. However, please be prepared to take it on the chin from some of your reviewers, as we continue coping with the shocking and revolutionary change in the way we're hearing music now. Old habits die hard, and if you've been abused by a lot of spurious digital noise and wild and wooly jitter throughout the years, once you get released from the torture chamber, sometimes you feel like you miss your torturers (a.k.a. the Stockholm syndrome:)

On the downside, I'm beginning to detect a bit of a bad news. I have a nagging feeling now that my digital transport (fully modded Squeezebox Touch, or SBT for short) is really not up to the snuff when feeding the Bushmaster. I think my bottleneck may be upstream at this point. Seems to me that I'll need to upgrade the transport, but I have no idea to what.

Now, that upgrade is certainly not going to end up being pocket change for me, that's for sure.

magiccarpetride
14-06-2012, 16:59
Maybe the trumpeter was using a trumpet mute (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Humes-Berg-Trumpet-Cornet-Cleartone-Mute-HB103-/330703064298?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Brass_RL&hash=item4cff704cea)? May be the Bushmaster is letting you hear that clearly now.

I'm pretty sure you're right, Stan, which means that previously the Caiman was interjecting the 'phantom' sparkle, probably in the form of some digital artifacts. Possible?

StanleyB
14-06-2012, 17:05
It wasn't accurate enough to pick up that sort of detail. Wait till you start hearing the recording errors and back ground action in the recording studios. In one record I have from Usher you can hear the hangers-on chatting and laughing in the mixing studio next door.

magiccarpetride
14-06-2012, 17:15
It wasn't accurate enough to pick up that sort of detail. Wait till you start hearing the recording errors and back ground action in the recording studios. In one record I have from Usher you can hear the hangers-on chatting and laughing in the mixing studio next door.

I'm not a headphone user. Can such murky details get picked up by the speakers?

StanleyB
14-06-2012, 17:18
My NS1000 can.

wee tee cee
14-06-2012, 17:27
I would buy one just for listening to Solid Air, I have never heard Danny Thomson play the bass so well. I hear the bumps and noises that until now have been the reserve of my headhone rig (which it now surpasses sonically with a few hours on it).
Dont swither......get one and enjoy a real taste of something special......

StanleyB
14-06-2012, 17:29
I would buy one just for listening to Solid Air, I have never heard Danny Thomson play the bass so well. I hear the bumps and noises that until now have been the reserve of my headhone rig (which it now surpasses sonically with a few hours on it).
Are you sure it's not the emperor's new clothes ;)?

magiccarpetride
14-06-2012, 17:38

Speaking about accuracy, the tincy-wincy rhythmical details, such as the slight brushes on the cymbals causing the seemingly endless shimmering decay, and the ultra quiet spurious sounds produced by the drum kit as the drummer keeps working and pumping the groove is what now gives the life-like impression of a live band playing in my room. The sense of rhythm is now sensational, perhaps the best aspect of this DAC.

Also, the way drums and bass now gel together and lock into the groove, it's simply unbelievable. They heave and breathe like a single organism. Certainly makes one appreciate the artistry of a great funk ensemble.

The detail on the cymbals is unprecedented; I'm only slightly confused that the cymbals now sound so brown and coppery, not silvery and metallic like they used to. It still messes me up, interferes with my expectations. But I'll be fine... I'll slowly learn the proper ways.

Reid Malenfant
14-06-2012, 17:45
My NS1000 can.
Nice to see that I'm not alone with Mike in revelling in what the NS1000 bring to the proceedings Stan :D

I bought another two pairs of them after hearing & purchasing the first pair :eyebrows:

SPS
14-06-2012, 18:01
I've not noticed any burn in, it sounds as good now as it did when I got it. One thing I've found puzzling is that recorded vinyl played back via the same system sounds a little 'enhanced'...I cant put it into words yet but theres something different between playing the LP live and playing the recorded version.

Listening to my modified Caimen in isolation is very good, its not until the BM is switched in do you hear the slight hardness and slightly lean presentation. Its very good, battery pack on the way so hoping for a further improvement.

sounds lke your pleased with it neil, must say with all these good reviews i've been wondering if i should give one a go,
i'm using a passive 16 chip terra dac and was really suprised how much difference the lack of the op amp made, more of everything compared to the early version i have.. could this be similar in sound quality or even better ?

jandl100
14-06-2012, 18:08
It's amazing how popular that LED auto dimming function has turned out to be.

:thumbsup:

Good to see so many folks enjoying the Bushmaster, too.

I must admit that the longer I listen the better it gets ... I'm now hearing a LOT of 3D imaging depth, which I didn't perceive before.
Maybe the BM is running in more, but my suspicion is that it takes a while to acustom yourself and adjust to the new, superior presentation. You almost have to re-learn how to listen in order to appreciate what the BM can deliver. And that takes time.

I've a nagging and somewhat disconcerting feeling that the Bushmaster is the best digital source I have ever heard. :scratch:

... and I have a Stan-recommended battery pack on the way, which he says will improve it. Now that's a scary thought! :eyebrows:

SPS
14-06-2012, 18:15
Nice to see that I'm not alone with Mike in revelling in what the NS1000 bring to the proceedings Stan :D

I bought another two pairs of them after hearing & purchasing the first pair :eyebrows:

i once had 2 pairs too... my lad still has one pair

i loved mine, but I moved on in the end...
but only diy speakers put me in that position to do that

jandl100
14-06-2012, 18:17
For those looking for a CD transport to feed the BM, I can strongly recommend an Arcam DVD player! I've had two of these now (one fell off a stool and bust :doh:) and while the typical somewhat smooth and lazy Arcam sound comes out of the DAC section, the digital audio output signal carries a lively, detailed and well focussed sound! :thumbsup:

Reid Malenfant
14-06-2012, 18:21
I've a nagging and somewhat disconcerting feeling that the Bushmaster is the best digital source I have ever heard. :scratch:
:scratch:

... and I have a Stan-recommended battery pack on the way, which he says will improve it. Now that's a scary thought! :eyebrows:
Battery should improve things :)

For those looking for a CD transport to feed the BM, I can strongly recommend an Arcam DVD player! I've had two of these now (one fell off a stool and bust :doh:) and while the typical somewhat smooth and lazy Arcam sound comes out of the DAC section, the digital audio output signal carries a lively, detailed and well focussed sound! :thumbsup:
Ah, now that is a source! A DAC isn't, you had me confused :eyebrows:

LittleTone
14-06-2012, 18:25
You lot are a bad influence. Couldn't resist it any longer and I've just placed an order for the Bushmaster.

Tony

NRG
14-06-2012, 18:28
sounds lke your pleased with it neil, must say with all these good reviews i've been wondering if i should give one a go,
i'm using a passive 16 chip terra dac and was really suprised how much difference the lack of the op amp made, more of everything compared to the early version i have.. could this be similar in sound quality or even better ?

Yes Steve, Stan has made a good 'un, the lack of caps/opamps in the output really improve the SQ. I found it took me a while to appreciate this as I'd become very used to the effects of these in cct and what I though was 'accurate' was most likey not ;)

RoboCopper
14-06-2012, 18:35
You lot are a bad influence. Couldn't resist it any longer and I've just placed an order for the Bushmaster.

Tony

Tony, I do not think you will regret it.

Since I got snake bite I just wish I had more spare time to spend with this poison, but due to extra hours at work and BushMaster released just now when football have to be watched too (every second year though).

I cheated I have to admit, I left Snake to be treated with burn-in special CD sources such as Densen etc... and there are huge improvements compared to few hours on the clock, when I listened my lovely BM first day.

Tony, let us know how it compares to your Rega DAC?

DaveK
14-06-2012, 18:36

Tony

Stop it, stop it please, another brick has just fallen out of my wall of resistance :lol: .
I'm awaiting a mini audition report from a guy whose ears I trust and then ......

StanleyB
14-06-2012, 18:46
I am surprised by the absent of Covenant :scratch:. He is normally in touch within the first week. Anyone knows if he is OK?

Covenant
14-06-2012, 18:55
I am surprised by the absent of Covenant :scratch:. He is normally in touch within the first week. Anyone knows if he is OK?

I am fine thanks Stan. As I mentioned a while back I cannot use a BM at the moment as my Caiman serves as a pre-amp. Can you imagine how frustrating it is to read this stuff night after night? :scratch:

StanleyB
14-06-2012, 18:58
I fully understand. I shall put you down as a beta tester for anything with variable output :).

RoboCopper
14-06-2012, 19:01
I fully understand. I shall put you down as a beta tester for anything with variable output :).

I dont mind doing it either :dance:

Covenant
14-06-2012, 19:02

Yea! That's made my night. :cool:

DaveK
14-06-2012, 19:11
Can you imagine how frustrating it is to read this stuff night after night? :scratch:

Now that's a statement I can fully empathise with but for different reasons :( . Would you add my name to your Variable output beta testers list please? - and don't forgett I've got some Hi-Res XRCDs - does that increase my chances :lol: ;) .
Dave

StanleyB
14-06-2012, 19:28
I need trustworthy ears Dave. And you yourself have pointed out that you rely on other ears for confirmation. That's a risk factor when doing beta testing that cannot be taken lightly when we are taking about breaking new grounds and being confronted with uncharted territory. Especially when a piece of kit might have to be tested in secrecy and cannot be disclosed to others outside the loop. The excitement of it all might be far too much for you to bear, whilst Jerry has a known track record with previous kit of mine and knows how to take a secret to his grave if need be :lol:.

James_Woods
14-06-2012, 19:43
First I want to thank Stan for the incredible fast delivery. The Bushmaster was shipped on Monday and arrived this morning in Berlin.

My first impression: It is an absolute improvement compared to the DAC-Chips that are integrated in the AirPort - what a suprise :)
It's now burning in for the next 48 hours, so I will post a more detailed opinion in the future.

But, as an Information Sytems student, one thing puzzled me: The PSU has "Exclusive for Beresford.me" printed on it, but it seems like an "ordinary" Unifive PSU. I don't want to make a spiteful remark - I was just wondering what is "Exclusive" on this PSU?
Another question, which I dont expect to be answered: What DAC Chip is driving the Bushmaster? (A PCM1794?)

As already said, I am fully happy with my purchase, even if I have listened only for 2 hours today, it is a big step forward for my setup. I listened to the Rega DAC and DacMagic before and I think this is the best value-for-money product I bought in the last 5 years in terms of HiFi. :thumbsup:

DaveK
14-06-2012, 19:44
I need trustworthy ears Dave. And you yourself have pointed out that you rely on other ears for confirmation. That's a risk factor when doing beta testing that cannot be taken lightly when we are taking about breaking new grounds and being confronted with uncharted territory. Especially when a piece of kit might have to be tested in secrecy and cannot be disclosed to others outside the loop. The excitement of it all might be far too much for you to bear, whilst Jerry has a known track record with previous kit of mine and knows how to take a secret to his grave if need be :lol:.

Well Stan, you might have just made Jerry's night but you've completely spoiled mine ;) . Fancy thinking that Jerry's ears are more trustworthy than mine :scratch: - does he have a medical certificate that gives technical details of his hearing performance and a couple of gizmos to 'correct' it 'cos I have :ner: .
And as for taking a secret to the grave, has it escaped your notice that I would have to retain any secret for a lot shorter time than Jerry? :lol: :eek: :mental: .
And you ask Jerry who put him onto his new headphone amp :ner: .
I think you've slipped up there Stan and missed a trick or two :lol: :lol: . I'll try hard not to let it figure in my decision whether or not to invest in a Bushmaster ;)
Dave.

wee tee cee
14-06-2012, 19:45
Are you sure it's not the emperor's new clothes ;)?
Stan,
I'm hearing you, I shot from the hip riled by the frothing hype, devoid of any sonic experience......I put my own money down and trusted initial observations. If I can offer a quantum of solace regards my impetuosity, your product has reinforced everything I hold dear about AOS, genuine musical enjoyment through a hi-fi is not inextricably linked to financial parameters.
If you feel an apology is needed.......I hold my hand up
-sorry Stan, I took a cheap snipe.

Apologies Tony.

StanleyB
14-06-2012, 19:52
Yes, but he has a Croft power amp, and a lot of beta testing of the Bushmaster was done with several versions of those. So his findings can easily be reproduced with the same kind of kit ;).

jandl100
14-06-2012, 20:03
And you ask Jerry who put him onto his new headphone amp

Ummm ... not you, Dave! :nono:
I have an upgraded MF-XCANS, and now I have the Bushmaster which handily runs rings around it! :eyebrows:

I'm awaiting a mini audition report from a guy whose ears I trust and then ......

So, you don't trust my ears, then, Dave? :(

... Jerry sobs, and leaves the room disconsolate and heartbroken :o

.... whilst Jerry has a known track record with previous kit of mine and knows how to take a secret to his grave if need be :lol:.

:deceased:

.... Ummm, I'm not sure I'm prepared to take it quite that far, Stan! :lol:

DaveK
14-06-2012, 20:12
Ummm ... not you, Dave! :nono:
I have an upgraded MF-XCANS, and now I have the Bushmaster which handily runs rings around it! :eyebrows:

So, you don't trust my ears, then, Dave? :(

... Jerry sobs, and leaves the room disconsolate and heartbroken :o

:deceased:

.... Ummm, I'm not sure I'm prepared to take it quite that far, Stan! :lol:

Jerry, I'm (almost) completely lost for words and that doesn't happen too often :lol: . The 'Jerry' I was referring to, and I think so was Stanley, was the northern on from Lancashire (nearly as good as Yorkshire), not the soft southern one from deep in the Gloucester backwoods :ner: .
Dave.

jandl100
14-06-2012, 20:15
Ah right - saw that just in time, Dave.

Can now wipe the tears from my eyes and remove the noose from around my neck ....

StanleyB
14-06-2012, 20:19
First I want to thank Stan for the incredible fast delivery. The Bushmaster was shipped on Monday and arrived this morning in Berlin.
The speed of my delivery service was discussed only yesterday or the day before :).

But, as an Information Sytems student, one thing puzzled me: The PSU has "Exclusive for Beresford.me" printed on it, but it seems like an "ordinary" Unifive PSU. I don't want to make a spiteful remark - I was just wondering what is "Exclusive" on this PSU?
The power supply was discussed at length in another topic some time ago. If you do a search you should be able to dig up the relevant thread, and the history behind it. It looks ordinary, but it is not ;). If you look up the data on the UniFive website you'll get a lot more info on it.

Another question, which I dont expect to be answered: What DAC Chip is driving the Bushmaster? (A PCM1794?)
From recollection the PCM1794 is a current DAC that needs an I to V converter before it can produce a voltage. That rules it out for use as a passive DAC chip. The number of the IC that I use is printed on the chip package so it is not a secret to find out.

As already said, I am fully happy with my purchase, even if I have listened only for 2 hours today, it is a big step forward for my setup. I listened to the Rega DAC and DacMagic before and I think this is the best value-for-money product I bought in the last 5 years in terms of HiFi. :thumbsup:
Thanks for confirming what many others have also been reporting as well on AoS. It's good to have multiple sources as reference to any claims made with respect to the Bushmaster versus other more expensive DACs.

DaveK
14-06-2012, 20:28
Ah Jerry, that's good, we're all back on the same hymn sheet again :lol: .
I have the utmost respect for your ears but you did slightly disappoint me when you did not enthuse as much as me about the HA10 review in HiFi Pig. That's not to say I disagree with you in any way - I suspect (know ;) ) that your ears are used to hearing far more sophisticated bits of hi-fi than are mine and you were naturally comparing the HA10 with other kit you've heard. So just because they were as good as anything I'd heard before, the same could not be said by you - simples :) .
Anyway, I expect to succumb to BM temptation sooner or later so God help you if it doesn't live up to your findings :ner: :lol: ;)
Dave.

James_Woods
14-06-2012, 20:45
From recollection the PCM1794 is a current DAC that needs an I to V converter before it can produce a voltage. That rules it out for use as a passive DAC chip. The number of the IC that I use is printed on the chip package so it is not a secret to find out.

Maybe I sound a little bit stupid, but which package? The metal case is "warranty-void-protected" and there was nothing printed on the black package, as far as I know.

I will lookup the PSU-Thread, thank you for the quick answer! :)

sondale
14-06-2012, 20:58
Stan,

Thanks to the talk about various headphones I suddenly remembered that I have a pair of tatty (spongeless) Jecklin Floats - plugged them in - phew was that good! Best they have ever sounded - they always were a bit bass-light - they still are - but what a mid-range/top end. Not only that but the opening to 'The Goodbye Look' on 'The Nightfly' by Donald Fagen was a revelation - I have never heard the various instruments in the opening bars presented so clearly.

I had bought a repair kit ages ago but never bothered to glue the pieces together - a job now scheduled for tomorrow.

I might get out my WhiteNoiseAudio headphone amp and do a comparison using the Jecklins.

myles
14-06-2012, 21:04
Wow, putting my cash away for one of these, seems like THE upgrade to have at this pricepoint.

NRG
14-06-2012, 21:21
Maybe I sound a little bit stupid, but which package? The metal case is "warranty-void-protected" and there was nothing printed on the black package, as far as I know.

I will lookup the PSU-Thread, thank you for the quick answer! :)

Why the interest? If it sounds better it is...a bit of a google shows that the ES9023 is functional with out IV there are others ;)

Martinh
14-06-2012, 21:51
Hey Martin, you may be the person I'm waiting to hear from.

I too have a DACMagic and while I like it I've never been completely satisfied and was wondering if replacing the DACMagic with another DAC might be what I'm looking for.

Would you describe the differences you are hearing between the Bushmaster and the DACMagic?

Hi Bobby,

Yes, it's a better DAC than the Dacmagic IMHO - the dacmagic is good, but the BM is better.

I didnt notice a huge difference through my budget Marantz amp, however when I put my new exposure 2010s2 in, the differences became all to obvious. Much, much better bass, a much wider soundstage and better separation.

Both the exposure amp and BM are still running in, but the sound is lovely - silky smooth with no coarseness. Its maybe a little bit more laid back than the dacmagic, but not much.

So, I guess it all depends upon the rest of your system.

What have you got and what's wrong with the sound?

Cheers,

loonytunes
14-06-2012, 23:11
Stan - you are proving that keeping things pure and omitting electrical components in the path with no oversampling is strongly benefitting sound quality.

May I suggest keeping the same ethos in mind when designing your DAC with preamp - perhaps keeping the preamp in the digital domain bit-perfect. Or if you want to stick with analogue - the simplist one with least parts seems to be one of those Light Dependant Resistors as depicted here http://diyaudioprojects.com/Solid/DIY-Lightspeed-Passive-Attenuator/.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

StanleyB
15-06-2012, 05:14
Rest assured that I am leaving no stone unturned. I am even turning old stones that other engineers have already handled and then rejected with the excuse that it won't work or won't produce a quality result.
I have often been suspicious of such comments by those kind of people. Either they are not good enough to get something working, theorized that it won't work, or trying to sell you a far more expensive solution instead off the back of flawed science. Asynch USB anyone ;)?

James_Woods
15-06-2012, 07:09
Why the interest? If it sounds better it is...a bit of a google shows that the ES9023 is functional with out IV there are others ;)

I want to understand technical things. Its like going into a cathedral and thinking of the amazing structural engineering. When I buy a car, I usually want to know whats under the hood: If I see its faster and takes less fuel than my
old one, its even more "great" if I see it takes that out
of an 16V/1.0 engine. :)

Werner Berghofer
15-06-2012, 07:21
Neal,

Why the interest?

what's wrong with a customer asking what he receives in exchange for his money?

Werner.

NRG
15-06-2012, 07:35
I want to understand technical things. Its like going into a cathedral and thinking of the amazing structural engineering. When I buy a car, I usually want to know whats under the hood: If I see its faster and takes less fuel than my
old one, its even more "great" if I see it takes that out
of an 16V/1.0 engine. :)

OK I can understand that but I'm not sure how much info you'll glean from knowing the part as I'm guessing the beauty of the BM is in the implementation...only Stan will know. :)

NRG
15-06-2012, 07:36
Neal,

what's wrong with a customer asking what he receives in exchange for his money?

Werner.

Nothing, where did I say that it was?

tubehunter
15-06-2012, 07:40
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/dacs/WM8524/

James_Woods
15-06-2012, 07:53

Ali Tait
15-06-2012, 09:55
The chip was used in a Unico cd player. The Primo I think.

barry-potter
15-06-2012, 10:07
i've just got up. the reason being that i ended up listening to the bushmaster last night and just kept listening, am loving all the extra detail retrieval, if there is more to come after 12 hours burn in then i will be ecstatic. have to say i am impressed that you rolled this out at a price cheaper then the caimen, but i suppose that is the law of electronics - they get cheaper as time goes on. of course this breaks the law of hifi which is the reverse.

anyhow my one small gripe is that i still much prefer werners symbol layout , are you still thinking about this for later versions because i would really like it if it was retrofittable.

loonytunes
15-06-2012, 10:46

Looking at the Wolfson page http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/dacs/#stereo_dacs, the WM8524 is not classed as a "high performance stereo DAC".

Perhaps because the WM8524 works better with a passive output design, much like the old TDA1543 DACs perhaps...

Amazing how old dacs like the TDA1543 are used in ultra-expensive designs such as this http://www.vertexaq.com/products/aletheia-products/aletheia-dac-1. Goes to show you don't need a high performance DAC there either I suppose.

pumpkineater23
15-06-2012, 10:51
i've just got up. the reason being that i ended up listening to the bushmaster last night and just kept listening, am loving all the extra detail retrieval, if there is more to come after 12 hours burn in then i will be ecstatic. have to say i am impressed that you rolled this out at a price cheaper then the caimen, but i suppose that is the law of electronics - they get cheaper as time goes on. of course this breaks the law of hifi which is the reverse.

anyhow my one small gripe is that i still much prefer werners symbol layout , are you still thinking about this for later versions because i would really like it if it was retrofittable.

I like the BM layout but I too prefer Werners symbol layout, being a micro-minimalist myself. The idea of being able to change the front plate seems a good one I think, aim the BM at different targets; the camouflage BM looking very cool next to the decks for the DJ's, white gloss for the Apple heads, the 'audiophile version' etc.

I'm looking forward to hearing it anyway. Hurry up with the variable BM!

DaveK
15-06-2012, 11:07
I like the BM layout but I too prefer Werners symbol layout, being a micro-minimalist myself. The idea of being able to change the front plate seems a good one I think, aim the BM at different targets; the camouflage BM looking very cool next to the decks for the DJ's, white gloss for the Apple heads, the 'audiophile version' etc.

I'm looking forward to hearing it anyway. Hurry up with the variable BM!

Stan, can I add my name to this list of interest in the minimalist icon/symbol layout. And just before you dismiss my request as longer term, my budget controller (SWMBO) has raised no objections to me blowing my budget even more than it is already :lol: so it is now just a case of getting the awaited review from someone whose ears I trust, due this weekend, and then I am ready to go. So what chance on the 'Werner' front plate? :) .
Just to add a note of reassurance to that delicate natured reviewer on HiFi Pig, yes I do trust your ears as well but the other reviewer has the same sort of kit as me, i.e. perhaps more mid-fi than hi-fi :lol: , so I expect it to be more relevant perhaps to my situation - no offence is to be taken, OK? ;) .

StanleyB
15-06-2012, 11:14
Looking at the Wolfson page http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/dacs/#stereo_dacs, the WM8524 is not classed as a "high performance stereo DAC".

Perhaps because the WM8524 works better with a passive output design, much like the old TDA1543 DACs perhaps...

The trick in any design is how you go about using the parts. A lot of people get blinkered by manufacturers specification sheets instead of physically putting a component in a circuit and testing it for themselves. Then design a circuit that can make optimal use of it. A lot of people strongly believe that having this or that DAC chip on a PCB will deliver the goods. Dream on. If I started working with the top end chipsets just imagine what I could produce for say £499.99. But how many people would be able to justify that sort of expenditure? Not all my customers are in well paid jobs and well to do countries. For many of them even £200 is a year's savings perhaps. And I sure don't want them to fork out that much if it doesn't put a mighty big grin on their face. And that's the one thing I have frequently promised my customers, but no other DAC manufacturer dare to commit to with their DAC. The grin factor has become an almost exclusive synonym for my DACs and with the Bushmaster even more so.

nortot
15-06-2012, 11:57
Can I put my oar in the water here having had the 7520, the gator caiman and now the BM.Since I took a 'punt' on Beresford as a company I have always been delighted with the cost/benefit ratio, ie well well worth the outlay considering the improvement over 'stock' hifi and then whilst moving with Stan through his improvments. Beresford has REALLY put a grin on my face, but the BM is a masterpiece to these tired old ears. That's hyperbole of course but I really feel like that, and I would be proud/happy/relieved if Id taken a punt on big name /big bucks kit and really the heard the improvement. But with Stan, I feel Im giving modest enough bucks to a passionate audiophile who REALLY wants to put a smile on mine and others' faces.
Congratulations Stan, marvellous ground-breaking product.....

Bras
15-06-2012, 12:08
Hello folks

I don’t want to spoil this thread but after 24 hours of burn in I am not so happy with the BM. I can tell you that my preferred dac is still the good old TC-7510 which beats both the gatorized Caiman and now also the BM…at least in my system.
Yesterday evening a couple of friends were visiting me and both of them preferred the sound from the TC-7510 when making an A-B comparison ( anyway the BM is close to the TC-7510 compared to the Caiman ).

Squeezebox -->TC-7510 / BM --> Nad C375 -->B&W 683

just my words ( sorry )

Cheers

Werner Berghofer
15-06-2012, 12:27
Guys,

i still much prefer werners symbol layout

Stan, can I add my name to this list of interest in the minimalist icon/symbol layout.

I too prefer Werners symbol layout

just to verify that you’re talking about the same layout, please let me add the image:

http://www.berghofer.com/photos/gear/7530_rockwell.gif

A few days ago I sent a print-ready template including all technical specifications to Stanley via email. He must make the decision if he plans to offer the “Bushmaster” with this optional front plate.

Werner.

MartinT
15-06-2012, 12:42
I don’t want to spoil this thread but after 24 hours of burn in I am not so happy with the BM.

What do you hear? What cables are you using?

Bras
15-06-2012, 12:53
What do you hear? What cables are you using?

Dire Straits - Norah Jones - Animals - Sting - Bryan Adams - Kenny G. . ( a big mixture )

I have tried to swap cables without any difference. The toslink cable is from Stanley himself....and then I have 3 other coax I am testing with.
Speaker cable is QED silver Anniversary-biwire

The files from the Squeezebox are all ripped into Flac format with DBpowerAmp

TC-7510 gives better 3D sound - a little more detailed and surprisingly deeper bass

synsei
15-06-2012, 12:57
Hello folks

I don’t want to spoil this thread but after 24 hours of burn in I am not so happy with the BM. I can tell you that my preferred dac is still the good old TC-7510 which beats both the gatorized Caiman and now also the BM…at least in my system.
Yesterday evening a couple of friends were visiting me and both of them preferred the sound from the TC-7510 when making an A-B comparison ( anyway the BM is close to the TC-7510 compared to the Caiman ).

Squeezebox -->TC-7510 / BM --> Nad C375 -->B&W 683

just my words ( sorry )

Cheers

Perhaps your unit is a little sick Barney, it may be worth asking Stan for a replacement ;)

MartinT
15-06-2012, 12:57
Speaker cable is QED silver Anniversary-biwire

These may well be the source of the problem. Harsh, edgy cable that may be hiding the benefits of the Bushmaster's more detailed presentation.

synsei
15-06-2012, 13:00
These may well be the source of the problem. Harsh, edgy cable that may be hiding the benefits of the Bushmaster's more detailed presentation.

To be fair Martin, many people have stated that the top end of the BM is somewhat sweeter than the Caiman etc. Surely in comparison with his other Stan DAC's, and in the same system, this would still be apparent? I think Barney may have bought a sick puppy ;)

Bras
15-06-2012, 13:01
Perhaps your unit is a little sick Barney, it may be worth asking Stan for a replacement ;)

I doubt, then I should both have had a bad Caiman and a bad BM

synsei
15-06-2012, 13:03
I think you misunderstood me Barney, perhaps there is something wrong with your particular Bushmaster ;)

StanleyB
15-06-2012, 13:33
Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion on taste, so there is nothing wrong with preferring the Squeezebox and B&W683 with the TC-7510. The deeper frequency response of the Bushmaster is not universally like by ported speakers and 6" midrange units can be less delicate in the midrange than the more conventional smaller midrange speakers.

Pieoftheday
15-06-2012, 14:04
well im digging out cds that were previously unlistenable on my last cdp arcam cd73, frances the mute by the mars volta, fantastic !! with the arcam it was an uncomfortable mess to my ears,with the bm in place this is class,great detail and space between instruments,nice clean bass and ultimatly i want to listen to it, ive rekindled my love of music with the bm,cant say fairer than that:mex:

Gazjam
15-06-2012, 14:36
Hearing one tonight... :)

Just curious, I take it there's no problems with the BM playing WAV files as opposed to Flac?

barry-potter
15-06-2012, 16:07
Guys,

just to verify that you’re talking about the same layout, please let me add the image:

http://www.berghofer.com/photos/gear/7530_rockwell.gif

A few days ago I sent a print-ready template including all technical specifications to Stanley via email. He must make the decision if he plans to offer the “Bushmaster” with this optional front plate.

Werner.

aye, that's the puppy.

StanleyB
15-06-2012, 16:12
Just curious, I take it there's no problems with the BM playing WAV files as opposed to Flac?
:doh:. I give up on you Gaz. Honestly.

magiccarpetride
15-06-2012, 17:05
Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion on taste, so there is nothing wrong with preferring the Squeezebox and B&W683 with the TC-7510. The deeper frequency response of the Bushmaster is not universally like by ported speakers and 6" midrange units can be less delicate in the midrange than the more conventional smaller midrange speakers.

No one responded to some of my previous inquiries, so I'd like to interject again and ask:

Does anyone else feel as if the highs from the Bushmaster are quite rolled off? I still get this lopsided, bottom-heavy presentation from the DAC, even after 24+ hours burn in. I was honestly expecting it to even out a bit, but the highs (i.e. cymbals, chimes, bells, etc.) are, to my ears, still unnaturally muffled.

What seems to be missing is the 'metallic' aspect of these metallic instruments. Like, the bells and chimes are made from metal alloys, and yet through the Bushmaster they sound more murky, more 'wooden' if you will. Also, they appear quite receded into the background, whilst with the Caiman they're more in your face, projected in front of the speakers. A quick switcharoo between the Bushmaster and the Caiman confirms that.

Is this typical for the Bushmaster, or have I just received a more 'personalized' copy of this fantastic DAC?

For the reference, I'm feeding digital signal via coax from the Squeezebox Touch, and then from the DAC out into the DSP 2000 preamp and DPA 200 power amp driving a pair of big-ass Magnepan speakers.

Any other DAC I've ever tried with the above configuration was giving me plenty of 'metallic' sounds from the cymbals et al, however the Bushmaster sounds much, much more tame and polite. I'm OK with the dark, coppery presentation of the cymbals (going down to the basement and hitting a few of my Sabian and Zyldian cymbals confirms that they do indeed emit this rich, harmonics laden coppery sheen), but I must say I'm less than pleased with the 'woody' presentation of the chimes and bells. They should be sounding more sparkly, no? I do have some bells and chimes in the house, and striking them gives off the sound that's anything but 'woody'.

I must say I'm extremely baffled by this muffled presentation of the highs. Everything else about this DAC is super fantastic, and exceeds all my expectations, but I'm now stuck with straining my ears to catch the familiar percussive sounds that are the staple of bands such as Santana etc.

The Vinyl Adventure
15-06-2012, 17:18
I don't have that problem Alex
Maybe you have just become accustomed to a more digital harsh sound?

magiccarpetride
15-06-2012, 17:28
I don't have that problem Alex
Maybe you have just become accustomed to a more digital harsh sound?

Definitely, that's certainly the case Hamish. Still, the metallic sound one gets when hitting the bell or a chime made from a metal alloy is not the result of digital harsh sound, because it's happening in real life, in an 'analog' situation. My confusion is why am I not getting similar rendition from the Bushmaster, i.e., why is the Bushmaster reproducing these metal chimes as if they're bamboo chimes?

StanleyB
15-06-2012, 17:34
You have become accustomed to the typical bright metallic sound of digital audio and lost the ability to recognize a more analogue sound I reckon.

synsei
15-06-2012, 17:37
This is a slight worry for me because I love the way the Caiman renders percussion in my system, it has oodles of attack and sounds so, so natural. I'd really miss this if it turns out to be a global trait of the Bushmaster and not just a minor niggle with the occasional unit. It would be nice to hear a Bushmaster in my system before I pull the trigger...

MartinT
15-06-2012, 17:38
Does anyone else feel as if the highs from the Bushmaster are quite rolled off?

No, not getting that at all. It's anything but muffled. Are you using correct cables and inputs into the next stage? A low impedance input in the next stage could slug the BM's output too much and sound like that.

magiccarpetride
15-06-2012, 17:42
This is a slight worry for me because I love the way the Caiman renders percussion in my system, it has oodles of attack and sounds so, so natural. I'd really miss this if it turns out to be a global trait of the Bushmaster and not just a minor niggle with the occasional unit... :eyebrows:

It bothered me last night while listening to Santana's "Oye Como Va". Oodles of ingenious percussion attacks (that are frankly driving the entire song) seemed buried way deep inside the mix. I was really perking my ears hunting for the familiar cues. Switching over to Caiman, these percussive cues were out there shining in their full glory (I almost wanted to add "the way god intended them").

My hope is that with burn-in this will eventually get corrected... If not, I guess it would be a good thing I haven't sold the little reptilian;)

synsei
15-06-2012, 17:45
I gotta agree with you there Alex, and lets face it, Santana without percussion is a bit of a lost cause. I hope very much that it is a problem that resolves itself during burn in because everything else I'm reading about the BM is right up my street ;)

StanleyB
This is a slight worry for me because I love the way the Caiman renders percussion in my system, it has oodles of attack and sounds so, so natural. I'd really miss this if it turns out to be a global trait of the Bushmaster and not just a minor niggle with the occasional unit. It would be nice to hear a Bushmaster in my system before I pull the trigger...
Don't worry Dave :). There are other DACs on the market so you won't be stuck for choice.
I haven't heard anyone mentioning similar issues. Maybe it is the 110V US mains supply?

magiccarpetride
No, not getting that at all. It's anything but muffled. Are you using correct cables and inputs into the next stage? A low impedance input in the next stage could slug the BM's output too much and sound like that.

I'm feeding the Bushmaster from SBT using Stan's digital coax. From the DAC into the preamp I'm using the much ballyhooed Belkin 8ft cables, which sound quite stunning with the Caiman.

Anything else I'd need to check?

magiccarpetride
15-06-2012, 17:46
Don't worry Dave :). There are other DACs on the market so you won't be stuck for choice.
I haven't heard anyone mentioning similar issues. Maybe it is the 110V US mains supply?

Perhaps I should switch to the 12V battery?

StanleyB
15-06-2012, 17:47
Have you got anything else than the SBT to try?

Bras
15-06-2012, 17:47
;)
No one responded to some of my previous inquiries, so I'd like to interject again and ask:

Does anyone else feel as if the highs from the Bushmaster are quite rolled off? I still get this lopsided, bottom-heavy presentation from the DAC, even after 24+ hours burn in. I was honestly expecting it to even out a bit, but the highs (i.e. cymbals, chimes, bells, etc.) are, to my ears, still unnaturally muffled.

What seems to be missing is the 'metallic' aspect of these metallic instruments. Like, the bells and chimes are made from metal alloys, and yet through the Bushmaster they sound more murky, more 'wooden' if you will. Also, they appear quite receded into the background, whilst with the Caiman they're more in your face, projected in front of the speakers. A quick switcharoo between the Bushmaster and the Caiman confirms that.

Is this typical for the Bushmaster, or have I just received a more 'personalized' copy of this fantastic DAC?

For the reference, I'm feeding digital signal via coax from the Squeezebox Touch, and then from the DAC out into the DSP 2000 preamp and DPA 200 power amp driving a pair of big-ass Magnepan speakers.

Any other DAC I've ever tried with the above configuration was giving me plenty of 'metallic' sounds from the cymbals et al, however the Bushmaster sounds much, much more tame and polite. I'm OK with the dark, coppery presentation of the cymbals (going down to the basement and hitting a few of my Sabian and Zyldian cymbals confirms that they do indeed emit this rich, harmonics laden coppery sheen), but I must say I'm less than pleased with the 'woody' presentation of the chimes and bells. They should be sounding more sparkly, no? I do have some bells and chimes in the house, and striking them gives off the sound that's anything but 'woody'.

I must say I'm extremely baffled by this muffled presentation of the highs. Everything else about this DAC is super fantastic, and exceeds all my expectations, but I'm now stuck with straining my ears to catch the familiar percussive sounds that are the staple of bands such as Santana etc.

I can only agree about the presentation of the " highs " they are not as they should be ( too laid back )......if you have any chance you should try out the BM against the TC-7510 and you may get surprised

magiccarpetride
15-06-2012, 17:56
Have you got anything else than the SBT to try?

At the moment only PS3 slim, via the optical. I'll give it a try tonight, Stan, and report back. Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

magiccarpetride
15-06-2012, 17:59
You have become accustomed to the typical bright metallic sound of digital audio and lost the ability to recognize a more analogue sound I reckon.

There's a lot of truth in what you said here, Stan. Bushmaster is indeed unique in that it does not contain even slight traces of that horrible, glassy digital sound. I've never heard anything like that before, not even from a CD player that retailed at $28,000!

And yes, I agree, I need to reprogram my brain to accept the new reality. Still, I'm finding this new regime lacking with regards to the percussive attacks, especially with instruments made of metal alloys, such as bells, chimes, etc.

MartinT
15-06-2012, 18:13
From the DAC into the preamp I'm using the much ballyhooed Belkin 8ft cables, which sound quite stunning with the Caiman.

Hmm, what's the capacitance on the 8ft interconnects? Don't forget that a Gator'd Caiman could drive just about anything. The Bushmaster is passive - direct from the DAC chip.

StanleyB
15-06-2012, 18:14
Don't worry. Send it back to me for a refund. No need to continue to worry about the issues you are experiencing.

jandl100
15-06-2012, 18:18
Just to add a note of reassurance to that delicate natured reviewer on HiFi Pig, yes I do trust your ears as well but the other reviewer has the same sort of kit as me, i.e. perhaps more mid-fi than hi-fi :lol: , so I expect it to be more relevant perhaps to my situation - no offence is to be taken, OK? ;) .

:hmm: dunno - I'm of a very sensitive disposition. I take offence quite easily. :eyebrows:

Fair enuff, Dave. :) I've got a quite hi-rez system by most folks standards, I reckon, so I can understand that the opinion of someone with the same level of kit as you would be of special interest.

jandl100
15-06-2012, 18:20
Highs rolled off? No, not in my system. The highs sound particularly well balanced, with (as myself and Martin have noted) particularly realistic vocal sibilance, which is a great test for high freqs.

magiccarpetride
15-06-2012, 18:35
Hmm, what's the capacitance on the 8ft interconnects? Don't forget that a Gator'd Caiman could drive just about anything. The Bushmaster is passive - direct from the DAC chip.

Not sure about the capacitance; I'll see if I have other interconnects lying around. Maybe they'll make a difference.

magiccarpetride
15-06-2012, 18:36
Don't worry. Send it back to me for a refund. No need to continue to worry about the issues you are experiencing.

You can't be serious?

magiccarpetride
15-06-2012, 18:37
Highs rolled off? No, not in my system. The highs sound particularly well balanced, with (as myself and Martin have noted) particularly realistic vocal sibilance, which is a great test for high freqs.

Same here. Vocals are fantastic, never sounded better. It is just that the high pitched percussion instruments, such as bells, chimes, tambourines, etc. sound recessed and muffled. Everything else is absolutely to die for!

RoboCopper
15-06-2012, 18:40
The trick in any design is how you go about using the parts. A lot of people get blinkered by manufacturers specification sheets instead of physically putting a component in a circuit and testing it for themselves. Then design a circuit that can make optimal use of it. A lot of people strongly believe that having this or that DAC chip on a PCB will deliver the goods. Dream on. If I started working with the top end chipsets just imagine what I could produce for say £499.99. But how many people would be able to justify that sort of expenditure? Not all my customers are in well paid jobs and well to do countries. For many of them even £200 is a year's savings perhaps. And I sure don't want them to fork out that much if it doesn't put a mighty big grin on their face. And that's the one thing I have frequently promised my customers, but no other DAC manufacturer dare to commit to with their DAC. The grin factor has become an almost exclusive synonym for my DACs and with the Bushmaster even more so.

:mex::exactly::grouphug::gig::king::clapclapclap:

StanleyB
15-06-2012, 18:42
You can't be serious?
I am perfectly serious. Just imagine the commercial damage your findings are doing to my reputation. I have already had some potential customers sending me PM to say they are getting cold feet from it all. It's best that I take the DAC back and have someone else try it out so that we can confirm if it is the DAC or not. After that I shall probably give it way if it works fine.

jandl100
15-06-2012, 18:49
That's a damn shame, Stan -- it's one of the very best DACs on the planet, I suspect. Certainly the best of many that I have heard at up to around £4k.

Note, folks, the "return if not satisfied" policy. :thumbsup: ... that's the law of the land anyway in the UK for mail-order sales.

Just buy one - very likely you will be as amazed as the many positive reviewers here. If not, send it back.

magiccarpetride
15-06-2012, 18:53
I am perfectly serious. Just imagine the commercial damage your findings are doing to my reputation. I have already had some potential customers sending me PM to say they are getting cold feet from it all. It's best that I take the DAC back and have someone else try it out so that we can confirm if it is the DAC or not. After that I shall probably give it way if it works fine.

Sorry, didn't mean to cause any damage. I though you were asking for open feedback from those of us who happily purchased your DAC. As I've repeatedly mentioned in this thread, I'm absolutely blown away by this product, and I'm only discussing certain issues at the fringes, hoping to get to the bottom of it. Perhaps it's the interconnects capacitance, perhaps it needs a bit more burn in time. I've already received some useful suggestions from the members here. Sorry, but I don't feel that 'just return it for a refund' is a useful suggestion, nor is it necessarily a stand up and applaud exemplary customer service.

Please recognize that an audio component may exhibit different symptoms depending on the particular audio chain where you plug it in. I'm sure there is a way to get this sorted out, and even if not, the rest of the benefits this product offers colossally outweigh any minor misgivings (perceived or not).

The Vinyl Adventure
15-06-2012, 18:57
Yeah, muffled highs is certainly not something im getting ... There must be some other issues at play!

StanleyB
15-06-2012, 18:59
The kind of problems you reported with the DAC changing the speed are impossible for a DAC to do. But the customer is always right they say so it is best that I don't leave you underwhelmed with your new purchase, or stuck with a piece of kit in which you have lost faith. I am sure I can find a good home for it on its return. And you'll be able to continue enjoying the Caiman with the Bushmaster soon being just a distant memory :).

MartinT
15-06-2012, 18:59
Alex - as well as changing the interconnect cables, compare what you hear from the headphone output. If the highs are not rolled off, there's unlikely to be anything wrong with the BM.

Covenant
15-06-2012, 19:56
Alex-treat yourself to a digital interconnect cable from Mike Homar, they are the dogs danglies.

Canetoad
15-06-2012, 21:02
I can honestly say that cymbals, chimes etc haven't sounded better in my system with the Bushmaster. I was particularly impressed with how realistic they now sound. And just for the record, I have a hot rodded Caiman as well to compare it with. :)

I am particularly enjoying playing songs I know well and hearing new depths of detail, some good, some bad, depending on the recording. The BM definitely tells it like it is. :eyebrows:

magiccarpetride
15-06-2012, 21:09
I can honestly say that cymbals, chimes etc haven't sounded better in my system with the Bushmaster.

So, if they haven't sounded better then they sounded the same, I'm presuming. In my case, they sound different with the Bushmaster.

magiccarpetride
15-06-2012, 21:10
Alex-treat yourself to a digital interconnect cable from Mike Homar, they are the dogs danglies.

How many dogs danglies are we talking?

magiccarpetride
15-06-2012, 21:11
Alex - as well as changing the interconnect cables, compare what you hear from the headphone output. If the highs are not rolled off, there's unlikely to be anything wrong with the BM.

Good advice, Martin. Not sure if my cheapo headphones will be up to the snuff, though.

Stratmangler
15-06-2012, 21:13
So, if they haven't sounded better then they sounded the same, I'm presuming. In my case, they sound different with the Bushmaster.

You have speakers that are hot in the HF response in stock form.
You might find that going back to plain vanilla Maggies is a good starting point.
Forget all of the tweaking you've done in the past, and start with a fresh page...

magiccarpetride
15-06-2012, 21:20
You have speakers that are hot in the HF response in stock form.
You might find that going back to plain vanilla Maggies is a good starting point.
Forget all of the tweaking you've done in the past, and start with a fresh page...

I was kinda thinking in the same direction. My Maggies are big, and are notorious for acting as antennas picking up RF noise and pushing it back into the audio circuitry. That's always been causing them to sound on the brighter side, until this Tuesday evening, when I plugged in the Bushmaster. Suddenly, my Maggies turned dark... At first I LOVED the mellowing effect (oh-so-analog-like!), until I realized that some of the sparkling chimes are now much less prominent in the mix.

Covenant
15-06-2012, 21:24
How many dogs danglies are we talking?

A pride of loins (not bad eh?)

webby
16-06-2012, 11:06
So the Caiman was guilty of that sound and the BM has fixed that, yes?

Gazjam
16-06-2012, 11:11

Feedback on a public Forum can be a bit of a double edged sword i guess?

I think its good customers can communicate with you in this way Stan - positive or negative - and its good PR that you are so helpful :)
Lots of positive comments for the Dac on this and the other thread so that has to be good, right?

p.s. heard the BM last night, sounding good Stan.
Deep tight bass, very clear sound. A good Dac for under 200 pounds.

Gazjam
16-06-2012, 11:15
Sorry, didn't mean to cause any damage. I though you were asking for open feedback from those of us who happily purchased your DAC. As I've repeatedly mentioned in this thread, I'm absolutely blown away by this product, and I'm only discussing certain issues at the fringes, hoping to get to the bottom of it. Perhaps it's the interconnects capacitance, perhaps it needs a bit more burn in time. I've already received some useful suggestions from the members here. Sorry, but I don't feel that 'just return it for a refund' is a useful suggestion, nor is it necessarily a stand up and applaud exemplary customer service.

Please recognize that an audio component may exhibit different symptoms depending on the particular audio chain where you plug it in. I'm sure there is a way to get this sorted out, and even if not, the rest of the benefits this product offers colossally outweigh any minor misgivings (perceived or not).

this.

NRG
16-06-2012, 11:31
No rolled of highs in my system, I think Martin is on the money with a HF roll off due to those long I/C cables. Its certainly not a design issue with the BM or a synergy one IMHO.

Marco
16-06-2012, 12:44
I think its good customers can communicate with you in this way Stan - positive or negative - and its good PR that you are so helpful! :)
Lots of positive comments for the Dac on this and the other thread so that has to be good, right?

Spot on!

It's impossible to please all of the people all of the time, so all you can do is your best. The fact that you're here, Stan, to communicate 'live' with your customers is massively important to the continued success of your business, and on AoS, you'll always receive all the support you need :cool:

Marco.

DSJR
16-06-2012, 14:43
I'm hoping Stan and Marco will back me up here please.....

Bear with me fellas. Many cheaper audio systems of old needed a bit of "zing" sometimes to give them a bit of life and impressions of "detail." I remember we selling loads of Spendor S series speakers with Chord Odyssey speaker cable for instance, as the two definitely work well together. Taken separately however, the Spendors could sound a little thickened and dulled and the odyssey over-hyped in the treble and rather unpleasant - same with their related Chorus interconnect I recall.

Bringing this to the DAC's and cheaper digital audio in general, the cheaper implementations often either sounded soft and diffuse, or pin-sharp to a fault with that sort of "cheap transistor amp" kind of lean-toned "flatness" I can't describe very well. So many audio enthusiasts dismissed "digital" for this very reason, and it was only my hearing an early Sony pro-DAC (6130?) played through a Naim tape loop (record outs to A-D, then D-A back to monitor in) and being nigh on inaudible that got me thinking.

Bringing this back to thread, the better speaker cables I tried (I specifically compared the Odyssey to the VDH The Wind here and it was an obvious difference), The Wind sounded "quieter" in the treble by means of FAR less treble hash and a better perceived bass quality, but with greater real clarity. I've also found this to be the case with better interconnect choices, again, a more subtle quality quite often, rather than "screaming deeeeetaaaaaiiiillllll."

The best digital sources I've heard just seem to get on with it and let the recording speak for itself. Timbre and subtle inflexions in the playing of an instrument are definitely there in a well mastered digital CD red book recording if the playback machine and system allows it and I strongly suspect this is what the BM does, albeit at a very much lower price. as a result, i reckon some may feel it's not as overtly "detailed" as the cheaper competition, PURELY because it's not spitching or hashing its way through recordings with strong treble.

I hope this makes some sort of sense. Real Top End reproduction doesn't have to cost the earth and I'm very much of the idea that the simpler we can make the playback chain, the better it will be ultimately, no matter how lovely and inticate these old Sony and Philips/Marantz DACs of old look inside. Just think of all those components and IC op-amps the signal has to pass through in these things.

There's a new NAD DAC out there for £1500 or so. Looks like a very basic circuit board which has not much more on it than the average computer MoBo at £60 or so. I'm sure it's very good, but priced to suit a market perception methinks :scratch:

loonytunes
16-06-2012, 15:01
For those of you waiting to listen many hours later after 'burn in' time for the Bushmaster to improve yet further - take time out to read this document: http://www.theaudiocritic.com/back_issues/The_Audio_Critic_26_r.pdf - look for the article, The Ten Biggest Lies in Audio - point number 6 :hmm:

Gazjam
16-06-2012, 15:17
:popcorn:

Gazjam
16-06-2012, 15:19
I'm hoping Stan and Marco will back me up here please.....

Bear with me fellas. Many cheaper audio systems of old needed a bit of "zing" sometimes to give them a bit of life and impressions of "detail." I remember we selling loads of Spendor S series speakers with Chord Odyssey speaker cable for instance, as the two definitely work well together. Taken separately however, the Spendors could sound a little thickened and dulled and the odyssey over-hyped in the treble and rather unpleasant - same with their related Chorus interconnect I recall.

Bringing this to the DAC's and cheaper digital audio in general, the cheaper implementations often either sounded soft and diffuse, or pin-sharp to a fault with that sort of "cheap transistor amp" kind of lean-toned "flatness" I can't describe very well. So many audio enthusiasts dismissed "digital" for this very reason, and it was only my hearing an early Sony pro-DAC (6130?) played through a Naim tape loop (record outs to A-D, then D-A back to monitor in) and being nigh on inaudible that got me thinking.

Bringing this back to thread, the better speaker cables I tried (I specifically compared the Odyssey to the VDH The Wind here and it was an obvious difference), The Wind sounded "quieter" in the treble by means of FAR less treble hash and a better perceived bass quality, but with greater real clarity. I've also found this to be the case with better interconnect choices, again, a more subtle quality quite often, rather than "screaming deeeeetaaaaaiiiillllll."

The best digital sources I've heard just seem to get on with it and let the recording speak for itself. Timbre and subtle inflexions in the playing of an instrument are definitely there in a well mastered digital CD red book recording if the playback machine and system allows it and I strongly suspect this is what the BM does, albeit at a very much lower price. as a result, i reckon some may feel it's not as overtly "detailed" as the cheaper competition, PURELY because it's not spitching or hashing its way through recordings with strong treble.

I hope this makes some sort of sense. Real Top End reproduction doesn't have to cost the earth and I'm very much of the idea that the simpler we can make the playback chain, the better it will be ultimately, no matter how lovely and inticate these old Sony and Philips/Marantz DACs of old look inside. Just think of all those components and IC op-amps the signal has to pass through in these things.

There's a new NAD DAC out there for £1500 or so. Looks like a very basic circuit board which has not much more on it than the average computer MoBo at £60 or so. I'm sure it's very good, but priced to suit a market perception methinks :scratch:

I heard this "lean toned flatness" (to my ears) in a new dac recently...maybe Burn in?
I've experienced sound changes over time with other new equipment, so will compare again in a few days.

MartinT
16-06-2012, 15:20
The Ten Biggest Lies in Audio - point number 6 :hmm:

Utter dreck. Why don't you do as has been stated many times on this forum and listen for yourself?

Marco
16-06-2012, 15:23
For those of you waiting to listen many hours later after 'burn in' time for the Bushmaster to improve yet further - take time out to read this document: http://www.theaudiocritic.com/back_issues/The_Audio_Critic_26_r.pdf - look for the article, The Ten Biggest Lies in Audio - point number 6 :hmm:

Ha - the blinkered 'objectivist' dogma of Peter Aczel. No surprise there! :D

Best filed in the bin....

Marco.

webby
16-06-2012, 16:03
I think mood has a big affect on your perception. How many times have you thought your car feels better to drive after its been washed? I know I have, and I guess it's just because I feel better about my car, and I don't clean it very often!

Also, the way we listen. We can try and listen to the whole spectrum but still, if you focus on the bass you will hear things you didn't hear before. I dabble with the bass guitar and to learn bass lines I have to listen very attentively to the bass and I definitely hear it better when I do so.

StanleyB
16-06-2012, 16:04
Hi Lee, you haven't been paying attention to how digital audio has been described over the last couple of decades or you are being a troll. So let's find out which one it is, shall we?

What specific accusation are you leveling against your Caiman, or have you never owned one?
Have you not read on my website or gathered from the feedback given by Bushmaster owners so far how it is possible to now buy a DAC at the affordable end of the market that doesn't have most if not all of the negative attributes so much associated with digital music in general, or its reproduction by the majority of DACs out there?

StanleyB
16-06-2012, 16:07
Sure, but has the person who wrote that got any experience in designing and building DACs? No? Then why is he writing things of which he has no knowledge? Would you put your trust in the binman's advise on the outcome of a medical operation? Seems that you would.

StanleyB
16-06-2012, 16:31
I think mood has a big affect on your perception. How many times have you thought your car feels better to drive after its been washed? I know I have, and I guess it's just because I feel better about my car, and I don't clean it very often!

Also, the way we listen. We can try and listen to the whole spectrum but still, if you focus on the bass you will hear things you didn't hear before. I dabble with the bass guitar and to learn bass lines I have to listen very attentively to the bass and I definitely hear it better when I do so.
There you go again, not paying attention. As I was saying for more several years: I was busy designing a DAC that could do things far better than any other DAC that the average person could afford. Many accused me of making outrageous comments over the years whilst others pointed to the impossibility of the task at the sort of price level I had in mind. The years went by, but still no such DAC showed up. Then some of my beta testers started to mention what they had heard coming out of the prototypes. It sounded and read as if it was far too good to be true. But eventually about two weeks ago I started shipping the Bushmaster. And people could now finally compare my outrageous claims against a real product.
Of course, I can see that you are having difficulties with coming to terms with all of that. It's understandable. But as a bass player, if you have never heard Jimi Hendrix playing, then I suggest that you get some of his record to listen to. Even decades after his death the majority of guitar players have not been able to pay a guitar the way he did. But if you told that story to someone who has never heard one of his records they would accuse you of making it all up. Honestly.

webby
16-06-2012, 16:33
Stan,

Hi Lee, you haven't been paying attention to how digital audio has been described over the last couple of decades or you are being a troll. So let's find out which one it is, shall we?

What specific accusation are you leveling against your Caiman, or have you never owned one?
Have you not read on my website or gathered from the feedback given by Bushmaster owners so far how it is possible to now buy a DAC at the affordable end of the market that doesn't have most if not all of the negative attributes so much associated with digital music in general, or its reproduction by the majority of DACs out there?

A troll? I've been around this forum long enough and enjoy it's discussions and reviews of music and all kinds of equipment, some of which I have no intention of buying, such as turntables and high end amps and such like, but I enjoy the chat nonetheless, so you can take that back if you don't mind.

Let me put my comment into context here;

Definitely, that's certainly the case Hamish. Still, the metallic sound one gets when hitting the bell or a chime made from a metal alloy is not the result of digital harsh sound, because it's happening in real life, in an 'analog' situation. My confusion is why am I not getting similar rendition from the Bushmaster, i.e., why is the Bushmaster reproducing these metal chimes as if they're bamboo chimes?

Magic's previous DAC is a Caiman. So, when you said this:

...I was a little surprised. No, I do not own a Caiman but have read many reviews on here about it, both out of the box and modded, and most owners speak very highly of it, hence my surprise at your suggestion that Magic had become accustomed to a harsh digital sound.

If that is the case and you have overcome this with the BM then great.

Again, I thought my comment was quite clear but maybe I should've put it into context, however, it is certainly not trolling.

StanleyB
16-06-2012, 16:34
Well please put it into context. Let nobody misunderstand you.

webby
16-06-2012, 16:38

There you go again, not paying attention. As I was saying for more several years: I was busy designing a DAC that could do things far better than any other DAC that the average person could afford. Many accused me of making outrageous comments over the years whilst others pointed to the impossibility of the task at the sort of price level I had in mind. The years went by, but still no such DAC showed up. Then some of my beta testers started to mention what they had heard coming out of the prototypes. It sounded and read as if it was far too good to be true. But eventually about two weeks ago I started shipping the Bushmaster. And people could now finally compare my outrageous claims against a real product.
Of course, I can see that you are having difficulties with coming to terms with all of that. It's understandable. But as a bass player, if you have never heard Jimi Hendrix playing, then I suggest that you get some of his record to listen to. Even decades after his death the majority of guitar players have not been able to pay a guitar the way he did. But if you told that story to someone who has never heard one of his records they would accuse you of making it all up. Honestly.

I don't quite know what you're getting at but I think you've taken my post out of context. My post above is not referring to anybody's opinions on the BM, but was offered as a light hearted aside to the previous posts about burn in.

Jimi who?*

*I'm kidding!

alan47
16-06-2012, 16:42
Stan,you are right about Jimi Hendricks,one of the most natural flowing musicians i have ever heard,seems, if he can think it, he can play it,without thinking, if that makes sense.. Sorry about the thread-crap ,but had to put in my 2p worth:smoking:

webby
16-06-2012, 16:46
Well please put it into context. Let nobody misunderstand you.

Quite. I think I was at the iPad where managing multi quotes can be tricky.

..and your troll retraction?

Stratmangler
16-06-2012, 17:26
Stan,you are right about Jimi Hendricks,one of the most natural flowing musicians i have ever heard,seems, if he can think it, he can play it,without thinking, if that makes sense.. Sorry about the thread-crap ,but had to put in my 2p worth:smoking:

Who is this Jimi Hendricks of whom you speak?
Is he a Jimi Hendrix tribute player? :eyebrows:

alan47
16-06-2012, 17:35
Depends if you believe in reincarnation...!!!:eek:

Werner Berghofer
16-06-2012, 17:49
Stanley,

What specific accusation are you leveling against your Caiman

I can’t recognize any accusation in Lee’s statement. Assuming that you are pretty aware that “magiccarpetride” has been using (and praising) a Caiman DAC for a long time, I was surprised to read this from you:

So the Caiman seems to produce a typical bright metallic sound, no?

As a sidenote: It’s quite interesting that suddenly it’s allowed to mention your previous flagship’s shortcomings in public. Not too long time ago this was considered heresy.

Werner.

StanleyB
16-06-2012, 18:10
So the Caiman seems to produce a typical bright metallic sound, no?

As a sidenote: It’s quite interesting that suddenly it’s allowed to mention your previous flagship’s shortcomings in public. Not too long time ago this was considered heresy.
Werner have you not understood what I wrote? I am not leveling any accusation against the Caiman. I am talking about the way digital audio has been perceived in general. The debate of how digital music sounds so clinical and cold versus how music from say a turntable sounds far more analogue has been going on since 1983. People have been writing about this subject for decades and solutions such as valve output stages or the use of parallel wired TDA1541 have been implemented to try to make digital sound less bright etc.
I have no idea what makes you think that I was talking about the Caiman. Did I mention it somewhere and then say that the Bushmaster was designed to overcome the deficiencies in the Caiman. No I didn't. These are fabrications that both Lee and you conjured up for whatever personal or commercial reasons you may have.
The Bushmaster was designed to solve a number of issues with digital music in general that has been affecting DACs from different manufacturers for years. It was not designed to solve a problem with the Caiman specifically. It was designed to solve a problem for most DAC owners of whatever make and brand. It is a new generation product that sets new standards in expectation for the whole DAC market, not just my own previous products.

alan47
16-06-2012, 18:48
Maybe you should have called your new dac Snake Shiit and then everyone would be happy..:eyebrows:

StanleyB
16-06-2012, 19:04
It's all about the music, and having access to the right tools at the right price that suits most pockets. I am at a loss to understand why anyone would wish to obstruct new advances designed to solve outstanding problems that have been identified since the last millennium with the reproduction of digital music.

RoboCopper
16-06-2012, 19:23
Stan, why dont you take motherboard of BM, put into fancy boxes, put unnecessary fancy caps, power supplies, golden fuses and resistors, heavy pieces of aluminium, balanced outputs etc etc, increase price to £1000 and people will maybe appreciate the sound of BM more. Yes, change name to Audio Dynaream Absoluta Bulshitini Extrema or similar.....maybe other audiophiles will be flocking to get it.:mental:

Although it will probably sound same as mine MK1, definitely not 5x better as the price would suggest.

Put also LCD 43inch screen from Argos for showing 384khz sampling rates, remote to switch on/off from ebay packed in heavy aluminum sheets and coffee filters to change sound for filter lovers :)
Price will jump to £2600 now :doh:

myles
16-06-2012, 19:25
Stan, why dont you take motherboard of BM, put into fancy boxes, put unnecessary fancy caps, power supplies, golden fuses and resistors, heavy pieces of aluminium, balanced outputs etc etc, increase price to £1000 and people will maybe appreciate the sound of BM more. Yes, change name to Audio Dynaream Absoluta Bulshitini Extrema or similar.....maybe other audiophiles will be flocking to get it.:mental:

Although it will probably sound same as mine MK1, definitely not 5x better as the price would suggest.

Put also LCD 43inch screen from Argos for showing 384khz sampling rates, remote to switch on/off from ebay packed in heavy aluminum sheets and coffee filters to change sound for filter lovers :)
Price will jump to £2600 now :doh:

I'm in. Can I have some blue LEDs as well?:eyebrows:

loonytunes
16-06-2012, 19:52
When the time is right, I certainly want to hear the Bushmaster in my own system. The two likely candidates for me is this here BM and the Metrum Octave DAC which also looks interesting - granted more expensive though - but yet another one that punches well above its asking price.

I want to get the infrastructure right first though to make the most of the experience - right now I only have my original DPA coax digi cable and I think I should be looking for something better to make a really solid connection between transport and DAC - others here have recommended the Mike Homar cable (a true 75 ohm design right down to the plugs).

Also Stan mentioned early that I could get elevated performance using a CD player as transport - however I have both the CD player and SBT - so I shall compare the two.

For me the source is the most important part of the hi-fi separates chain, so getting that bit right is imperative.

StanleyB
16-06-2012, 20:04
For me the source is the most important part of the hi-fi separates chain, so getting that bit right is imperative.
The Bushmaster is designed to accept multiple sources ;).

synsei
16-06-2012, 23:00
Might I suggest that all parties involved in the recent spirited discussion about the BM's sonic attributes please go back and re-read the posts as I have. It is apparent to me that a lot of what was written has either been taken entirely out of context or simply misunderstood, which lead to a couple of fraught exchanges and an occasional loss of integrity :doh:

The Grand Wazoo
16-06-2012, 23:06
Indeed, and I think in one or two cases, conclusions are being jumped to in order to reinforce personal prejudices.
Can we have a little less bitterness and ill-disguised venom please gents?

jandl100
17-06-2012, 06:23
Oh dear, I haven't been on this thread for a day or two and it's started to get a bit venomous. Perhaps Stan is to blame for naming the DAC after a poisonous snake. :eyebrows:

Anyway, magiccarpetride has now run-in his BM sufficiently and seems to have joined the unreservedly enthusiastic folks here. A rolled off top is no longer in evidence chez-mcr. :thumbsup:
link (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18466)

Jamtoast
17-06-2012, 08:32
So, many more hours of listen to the BM later and I continue to be really impressed. The most natural sounding DAC I've owned, but plenty of punch. Overall a delight and still can't quite believe the low price given how it sounds.

The only small issue I've had is occasionally the DAC not recognising the signal (TOSLINK) from my Mac Mini and going into search mode. Took me a while to work out what was going on when the music started dropping in and out. Because I had the LEDs switched off (nice feature) it wasn't obvious the BM was scanning through the inputs.

Not a big deal as I only use a single input anyway so have just manually selected.

StanleyB
17-06-2012, 08:49
The only small issue I've had is occasionally the DAC not recognising the signal (TOSLINK) from my Mac Mini and going into search mode. Took me a while to work out what was going on when the music started dropping in and out. Because I had the LEDs switched off (nice feature) it wasn't obvious the BM was scanning through the inputs.
I am using the audio presence command from the source (be it laptop or CD player etc.) to activate the auto search mode. So if the MAC for whatever reason suddenly fires off that command the Bushmaster will execute a search right away. The manual select mode is there as a back up for just such cases as the one you have experienced.
I'll put a delay command of a few seconds in the next firmware update so that the BM can hold off from going into auto search for a while just in case the original source springs back into life in that period.
The firmware is in a chip that is in a socket. So it will be possible to swap over the chip. some of these features are new in their concept and operation as far as their use in a product of mine is concerned. So I do expect that some erroneous behaviours to rear their heads, which is why I put the firmware in a socket so that updates can be implemented.

webby
17-06-2012, 09:05
Would a system sound from the mac trigger this command?

StanleyB
17-06-2012, 09:15
An audio file frequently includes several information bits, and a CD audio file contains even more of them. Those information bits are designed to activate or deactivate things such as emphasis (pre- and de- ), mute, audio type (DTS PCM, etc.), signal presence, etc. They can also include tagging information such as file name, length etc. A break in the command or an error (which could have been introduced during a file ripping process) will in turn send out an error condition to whatever device is using that data. It is not source specific so I wouldn't point the finger at the MAC. You can take that same tune and play it through a PC running Windows instead in order to find out if it still does the same thing or not.

webby
17-06-2012, 09:53
Stan,

Now you understand the context, do you concede that I am not a troll?

Thanks

StanleyB
17-06-2012, 09:55
If you got issues direct your complaint to Marco or any of the moderators.

Gazjam
17-06-2012, 10:31
Courtesy Stan courtesy.......

Been guilty myself of shooting off at the mouth one time, but I took responsibility for the words that come out of me and contacted the person direct and apologised .
Hindsight is a good thing.

StanleyB
17-06-2012, 10:41
I think that Lee is trying to bait me Gaz. I have been paying notice to some of the things he has written in the past. He thinks through his strategy in order to come up smelling of roses afterwards. This is not about courtesy. It is about pointing out that I can see through such things. Others are playing a similar trick as you very well know.

bigmarty
17-06-2012, 11:18
Hi Folks, not seen many pics of the Bushmaster on the site yet so here are a few in my system, and I think it sounds as well a looks great :D

Marty

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb9/martinattullymet/HIFI/95bc7459.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb9/martinattullymet/HIFI/06322b47.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb9/martinattullymet/HIFI/88d63310.jpg

Jamtoast
17-06-2012, 11:18
I am using the audio presence command from the source (be it laptop or CD player etc.) to activate the auto search mode. So if the MAC for whatever reason suddenly fires off that command the Bushmaster will execute a search right away.

Weird that it's intermittent. I've been experimenting with a multiple output driver, the standard system out driver, and with software (Bit Perfect, vanilla iTunes etc), lots of different tracks. Haven't managed to pick a pattern yet but if I work out a consistent combo that causes it I'll be sure to let you know.

A minor glitch. Have mainly just been enjoying the way it sounds. :D <- me

Would be interesting to see if a delay in the firmware solves it - keep me posted if you update the chip.

Werner Berghofer
17-06-2012, 12:59
Graham,

The only small issue I've had is occasionally the DAC not recognising the signal (TOSLINK) from my Mac Mini and going into search mode

as Lee already supposed, this might be caused by system sounds routed to the Mac Mini’s optical out. Visit “System Preferences → Sound → Sound Effects → Play sound effects through”. Try to uncheck the box left to “Play user interface sound effects” and hear if this makes a difference. When playing sound effects via the optical out, Mac OS X disables the optical out as soon as the effect has been played. Probably this triggers the DAC to enter signal search mode.

http://www.berghofer.com/photos/gear/sound_preferences.gif

If your Mac OS X version supports this, you could also route the sound effects to another audio port or device, which currently is not used for music playback.

Another option would be to use BitPerfect (http://bitperfectsound.blogspot.co.at/), a small, unobtrusive high-quality audio player for Mac OS X. Unlike other audio players, it integrates itself seamlessly with iTunes and might improve the playback quality. As a welcome bonus, it offers a “hog mode” option, suppressing all other audio events except iTunes during playback. This prevents the optical port enabling/disabling cycle of Mac OS X.

BitPerfect is available from the Mac App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/app/bitperfect/id455545700) for US$ 9.99, so you won’t risk much money should you want to try it out. It has to be mentioned that currenty BitPerfect does *not* support natively wireless streaming of audio data to a remote Airport Express station (“AirPlay” via iTunes).

Werner.

DSJR
17-06-2012, 14:31
Hi Folks, not seen many pics of the Bushmaster on the site yet so here are a few in my system, and I think it sounds as well a looks great :D

Marty

Better than the X-Ray? I'd have put the X-Ray on its own as above the Caiman in all honesty (it was a superb player in its time) and it easily responded to interconnect improvements (we liked a Siltech gold-infused one at the time, but the Mark Grant HD series should also be ideal).....

Gazjam
17-06-2012, 17:12
I think that Lee is trying to bait me Gaz. I have been paying notice to some of the things he has written in the past. He thinks through his strategy in order to come up smelling of roses afterwards. This is not about courtesy. It is about pointing out that I can see through such things. Others are playing a similar trick as you very well know.

ok Stan.
Don't know the background of what you mean and don't want to!

Saw the dac in the flesh this weekend, looks very good.
Have one on loan sitting burning in at this very moment, more comparisons this Tuesday. :)

brian2957
17-06-2012, 17:36
Any thoughts at this time mate.
brian.

Gazjam
17-06-2012, 17:39
Only in about an hour Brian from Fiona's gig on Friday so not had a chance to sit and listen, sorry!

The Boys over tonight for Daddy's day (awww...) so think we are off out, but will sit tommorow daytime and have a proper listen.

brian2957
17-06-2012, 17:41
I'm sure he's got a very expensive present for you mate :D
brian.

Gazjam
17-06-2012, 18:15
We'll see..
probably be a case of me forking out for Frankie & Benny's!

wee tee cee
17-06-2012, 19:59
Gary,
I would be interested to hear you thoughts. I have put a few hours on mine including the head amp.
Tony.

pumpkineater23
17-06-2012, 20:51

Marty

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb9/martinattullymet/HIFI/95bc7459.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb9/martinattullymet/HIFI/88d63310.jpg

Glancing at that photo earlier I assumed the Caiman was a separate photo as I didn't realize the size difference. I really like the smaller size of the BM - more compatible and portable looking.

Reid Malenfant
17-06-2012, 20:58

Nice pre & power amp :drool:

Lap it up... Enjoy the music chap :D

Apologies for going off topic, bad habit :doh:

nat8808
18-06-2012, 01:58

Uh? Never...

Although I changed the radiator recently (1988 Astra still going strong) and it did feel nicer to drive but then I hadn't driven it in a long time and had been driving something else for a while.

I also felt at ease because I wasn't worrying the car's incontinence and over heating.

Jabberwocky
18-06-2012, 10:54
Oh dear :(
I've had mine for ~9 days and I've been away from this forum doing some listening (and also some minor jobs on my vinyl setup) and just logged in to catch-up prior to submitting my listening impressions.
Having read some of the apparently vitriolic OTT flaming and accusations of trolling I think I'll keep my impressions to myself.
In fact, I'm not sure I'll be back here again.:goodbye:

DaveK
18-06-2012, 11:39
Oh dear :(
I've had mine for ~9 days and I've been away from this forum doing some listening (and also some minor jobs on my vinyl setup) and just logged in to catch-up prior to submitting my listening impressions.
Having read some of the apparently vitriolic OTT flaming and accusations of trolling I think I'll keep my impressions to myself.
In fact, I'm not sure I'll be back here again.:goodbye:

FFS lighten up, it's only stereo. We are a community and as far as audio fora go, IMHO we are a fairly close knit one, so little spats will occur from time to time. But they rarely get out of hand, thanks mainly to the general ethos of the main body of members IMO. If such spats were a daily occurrence I would have some sympathy with your 'Farewell' - even the people involved do not seem to be as upset as you about it.
Join in and contribute your findings, there are a lot of people who would find it of interest, me included :)
Dave.

Gazjam
18-06-2012, 14:41
In fairness have to say some of it was a bit unpleasant to read...

Tommorow there's a few of us hearing the BM at Gazjam Towers.
The BM's been running in since Friday night 24/7 so should be well warmed up.

Be an interesting comparison as we all hear things differently and there will be a few different sets of lug'oles present.

Be up against a couple of other Dacs, so should be interesting. :)

Ali Tait
18-06-2012, 14:47
Looking forward to it Gaz.

RochaCullen
18-06-2012, 14:51
In fairness have to say some of it was a bit unpleasant to read...

Tommorow there's a few of us hearing the BM at Gazjam Towers.
The BM's been running in since Friday night 24/7 so should be well warmed up.

Be an interesting comparison as we all hear things differently and there will be a few different sets of lug'oles present.

Be up against a couple of other Dacs, so should be interesting. :)

Look forward to hearing your findings, Gaz. I presume, based on some of your previous posts, you and your buddies will probably compare it with an Audio Note Dac-zero, amongst others, which is one Dac I was considering before going for the BM.

My BM has was waiting for me in the office this morning when I arrived into work. (Thanks Stan!) Can't wait to get it home and plug it in.

Nathan

MartinT
18-06-2012, 15:08
I've just received the 12V DC battery that Stan recommended. I'll listen to it tonight versus the AC adapter and will post my thoughts later.

RochaCullen
18-06-2012, 15:12
I've just received the 12V DC battery that Stan recommended. I'll listen to it tonight versus the AC adapter and will post my thoughts later.

This is something I have also ordered.

I meant to post the other buying option I was made aware of. If you can't get it from the ebay site, as I was not able, due to living in Ireland (they have a geographic restriction imposed on the ebay listing); the seller told me that you can go to http://www.buyincoins.com/ and buy it from there.

Sorted!

Nathan

StanleyB
18-06-2012, 15:22
Don't forget to put it on charge. And read the instructions how to do it! It looks straight forward, but isn't. A safety feature I reckon.

Ali Tait
18-06-2012, 15:25
Look forward to hearing your findings, Gaz. I presume, based on some of your previous posts, you and your buddies will probably compare it with an Audio Note Dac-zero, amongst others, which is one Dac I was considering before going for the BM.

My BM has was waiting for me in the office this morning when I arrived into work. (Thanks Stan!) Can't wait to get it home and plug it in.

Nathan

I'll taking along my DIY valve output dac, and I believe there will be a Rega dac too. I've given Bernie a shout to come along, if he does we could try the AN dac too.

StanleyB
18-06-2012, 15:33
Send me the bill for the drinks. Gaz might leave you guys thirsty all night :D.

edmondwolfman
18-06-2012, 15:34

Nathan

2 thumbs up :thumbsup::thumbsup:. This is exactly what I've been waiting for someone to do!

Thanks and I will be watching for results:drool:

kininigin
18-06-2012, 15:44
It certainly looks like,your on to a winner with this one stan!!

I look forward to hearing one,in the future :)

Gazjam
18-06-2012, 15:46
Send me the bill for the drinks. Gaz might leave you guys thirsty all night :D.

You DO know Stan all us Jocks drink 40yr old Single Malt scotch...? :cool:

Gazjam
18-06-2012, 15:48
I'll taking along my DIY valve output dac, and I believe there will be a Rega dac too. I've given Bernie a shout to come along, if he does we could try the AN dac too.

Rega Dac and Gator Caiman (with EVERY mod) too.

StanleyB
18-06-2012, 15:50
Not when they got to drive back in the middle of the week :ner:.

RochaCullen
18-06-2012, 16:05

You should head down the road, Gary, and grab yourself a bottle of Auchentoshen three wood. Glasgee's finest. Smooth and full of flavour. Had more last night of that than I should have, today's been dragging.

Nathan

snapper
18-06-2012, 16:18
Rega Dac and Gator Caiman (with EVERY mod) too.

What about a plain vanilla TC 7510? I'm very interested in how they compare to the Bushmaster.

:)

Gazjam
18-06-2012, 16:23
What about a plain vanilla TC 7510? I'm very interested in how they compare to the Bushmaster.

:)

Moved on a fair bit from that, but never say never ;)

magiccarpetride
18-06-2012, 16:49
It's all about the music, and having access to the right tools at the right price that suits most pockets. I am at a loss to understand why anyone would wish to obstruct new advances designed to solve outstanding problems that have been identified since the last millennium with the reproduction of digital music.

Things keep getting better with the Bushmaster, now that it continues burning in (I'm leaving it on a constant uninterrupted 27/4 burn-in diet).

Hey, I've just discovered a brand new Bushmaster's talent. This is something I've never heard from ANY DAC, but this baby seems to offer it in troves (after the mandatory initial burn-in, that is). It's gonna be very hard for me to describe this new peculiar talent in words, so the impatient should stop reading right about now:

Let me start with a riddle. You know those pesky little sentences many of us keep getting in an email, as a lighthearted joke? Something like this:

H0W 0UR M1ND C4N
D0 4M4Z1NG 7H1NG5
1MPR3551V3 7H1NG5
1N 7H3 B3G1NN1NG
17 WA5 H4RD BU7
N0W Y0UR M1ND 15
R34D1NG 4U70M471C4LLY

For the purposes of my illustration, let's say that regular DACs are converting digital to analog by rendering sentences in the above fashion. Now, what I found about the Bushmaster is that, unlike any DAC I've ever heard, it actually renders the above material like this:

HOW OUR MIND CAN
DO AMAZING THINGS
IMPRESSIVE THINGS
IN THE BEGINNING
IT WAS HARD BUT
NOW YOUR MIND IS
READING AUTOMATICALLY

Looks like a minor difference? Not really. The difference is actually enormous. You see, even though the brain can be trained to read the original gobbledegook, it tires easily, because it's constantly straining to replace the numbers interspersed in the text with the appropriate letters. What the Bushmaster does is it spells out, in full (in clear text), the content it is converting from the bit-perfect digital signal.

This feat produces such clarity, such enjoyable listening experience, that it can indeed rightly be compared to a good analog reproduction. It is, to my mind, a major breakthrough, because what I've discovered is that now I can literally listen for hours on end, and continue enjoying music, while not getting tired or fatigued even one bit.

I don't know what exactly is going on inside this DAC, but I call it 'continuity'. When I compare it with other DACs I've listened to, I'm startled to hear the lack of this 'continuity' in other DACs, which causes tiredness and irritability to the listener. Basically, all other digital reproduction that I've listened to seems to expect the listener to 'fill in the blanks' (in a similar fashion to how we were expected to 'fill in the blanks' with the above letters-and-numbers sentences). It is this 'continuity' that seems to be a special talent of the Bushmaster, because it does not expect us, the listeners, to fill in any blanks. Because of that, it is now incredibly easy to follow any instrument, or any chosen cluster of instruments/voices, from the beginning to the very bitter end, without losing track for even a split second. Musical performance now feels completely coherent, as there are no hiccups or little burps on the journey. In short, the music flows joyously!

That, to me, is a major accomplishment. I'm pretty sure there must be other high end DACs that can compete with regards to this ability to offer uninterrupted 'continuity' and the joyous flow of music, only I haven't ever been able to hear such rare beasts. Did anyone ever hear DACs that can pull this stunt? Did what I wrote here even make any sense to anyone?

MartinT
18-06-2012, 17:11
Don't forget to put it on charge. And read the instructions how to do it! It looks straight forward, but isn't. A safety feature I reckon.

Ah yes, the instructions. "the inner circuit cut off automatically in case of uncorrectly use". :doh:

StanleyB
18-06-2012, 17:18
To paraphrase captain Kirk: "It's English Martin but not as we know it."

The Vinyl Adventure
18-06-2012, 18:31
Alex your a nutter!! ;)

Well, I'm pretty confident now that this thing is more enjoyable than the Majiks dac
Can't get the pc to sound as good feeding it directly though which is most frustrating as really I could do without the majik if I could
I'm sure with loads of tinkering I might get it there ... But I can't be arsed I don't think!

I'm going to try one more thing though ... The pc has an optical out that last time I tried it fed horrible clicking and hissing noises into the dac whenever I moved around the room ...
Going to try it one more time though ... So ...
I need an optical jack - normal optical connector cable ... Sorry, I've forgotten the correct terms ...
Anyone got one I could borrow? And maybe buy if it works ... No point in buying one if I'm going to have the same issue from the pc again ...

synsei
18-06-2012, 18:40
Did what I wrote here even make any sense to anyone?

Made perfect sense to me. I'm glad it all came good for you in the end MCR ;)

magiccarpetride
18-06-2012, 18:46
Alex your a nutter!! ;)

Well, I'm pretty confident now that this thing is more enjoyable than the Majiks dac
Can't get the pc to sound as good feeding it directly though which is most frustrating as really I could do without the majik if I could
I'm sure with loads of tinkering I might get it there ... But I can't be arsed I don't think!

I'm going to try one more thing though ... The pc has an optical out that last time I tried it fed horrible clicking and hissing noises into the dac whenever I moved around the room ...
Going to try it one more time though ... So ...
I need an optical jack - normal optical connector cable ... Sorry, I've forgotten the correct terms ...
Anyone got one I could borrow? And maybe buy if it works ... No point in buying one if I'm going to have the same issue from the pc again ...

Sorry, can't help you there, Hamish. I do have a nagging feeling, the more I listen to the Busmaster, that the real bottleneck in my system may be upstream. SBT just does not seem to be capable of outputting the best pristine digital signal (the ever so elusive so-called "bit perfect"), as I feel it continues to interject spurious digital noises (and I've tried everything under the sun to tame that noise, replaced the noisy switching PSU with a good linear one, killed all the unnecessary processes on SBT, etc.)

So you may end up stuck with your Majik as a transport. I honestly don't believe you can coach your PC into sounding nearly as good as Majik, unless you're an engineering genius... Sorry to pee on your parade:(

MartinT
18-06-2012, 19:59
For those who missed Stan's link, I bought one of these 12V rechargeable batteries and charged it up fully before powering the Bushmaster from it.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDAwWDQwMA==/$(KGrHqRHJ!wE7)zYUjTHBPDm2Q4Jrg~~60_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180794713563&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:1123

Listening to it tonight in place of the provided 12V Unifive SMPS, I am impressed. The whole sound has taken on more solidity, especially in the bass, and there is even less harshness with a sweet, extended treble. In fact, the treble quality with hi-res streams from the Logitech Touch is delicate, airy and resolved in a way that CD cannot manage. Brushed cymbal work is superb. The noise floor seems a little lower, bringing the music up from blackness in a very satisfying way.

Once again, as if it need be drummed into us, a linear PSU works wonders to lower the noise floor, enrichen the soundstage and reduce hash and lack of resolution compared with a switched mode PSU.

A second benefit is that the BM + battery becomes an excellent portable DAC/Headphone amp for use in the field or on travels. I dare say you could charge it from a car socket given the correct adapter. An absolute bargain.

edmondwolfman
18-06-2012, 20:00
Sorry, can't help you there, Hamish. I do have a nagging feeling, the more I listen to the Busmaster, that the real bottleneck in my system may be upstream. SBT just does not seem to be capable of outputting the best pristine digital signal (the ever so elusive so-called "bit perfect"), as I feel it continues to interject spurious digital noises (and I've tried everything under the sun to tame that noise, replaced the noisy switching PSU with a good linear one, killed all the unnecessary processes on SBT, etc.)

So you may end up stuck with your Majik as a transport. I honestly don't believe you can coach your PC into sounding nearly as good as Majik, unless you're an engineering genius... Sorry to pee on your parade:(

FWIW, I use the Touch and I have no noise at all from the SBT that I can detect. I use a DACMagic but I also use an optical cable. I tried the coax with the Touch and found that optical just sounds better. I saw a few posts when it first came out and people recommended the coax as they thought it should sound better but after the Touch had been out a while I saw a lot of people confirming what I found in that the optical cable did sound better than coax :scratch:

edmondwolfman
18-06-2012, 20:03
For those who missed Stan's link, I bought one of these 12V rechargeable batteries and charged it up fully before powering the Bushmaster from it.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDAwWDQwMA==/$(KGrHqRHJ!wE7)zYUjTHBPDm2Q4Jrg~~60_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180794713563&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:1123

Listening to it tonight in place of the provided 12V Unifive SMPS, I am impressed. The whole sound has taken on more solidity, especially in the bass, and there is even less harshness with a sweet, extended treble. In fact, the treble quality with hi-res streams from the Logitech Touch is delicate, airy and resolved in a way that CD cannot manage. Brushed cymbal work is superb. The noise floor seems a little lower, bringing the music up from blackness in a very satisfying way.

Once again, as if it need be drummed into us, a linear PSU works wonders to lower the noise floor, enrichen the soundstage and reduce hash and lack of resolution compared with a switched mode PSU.

A second benefit is that the BM + battery becomes an excellent portable DAC/Headphone amp for use in the field or on travels. I dare say you could charge it from a car socket given the correct adapter. An absolute bargain.

Does it selfcharge while running the DAC off a battery or when it starts to run down do you have to charge it? Probably could find out if I went to the site and read but I figure you already know the answer so I'll just ask:eyebrows:

Gazjam
18-06-2012, 20:12

Hi Alex,
The Touch does output bit perfect via its SPDIF, the guys on the SBT forums have tested it using DTS files.
If it wasn't bit perfect the files wouldn't get through, but they do.

MartinT
18-06-2012, 20:55
Does it selfcharge while running the DAC off a battery or when it starts to run down do you have to charge it? Probably could find out if I went to the site and read but I figure you already know the answer so I'll just ask:eyebrows:

You charge it separately, otherwise the isolation benefits of using a battery would be lost anyway.

magiccarpetride
18-06-2012, 21:46
Hi Alex,
The Touch does output bit perfect via its SPDIF, the guys on the SBT forums have tested it using DTS files.
If it wasn't bit perfect the files wouldn't get through, but they do.

Hi Gaz,

Yes, you're right. I chose the wrong term. What I should've said is that the already bit perfect signal gets slightly polluted by some unwanted spurious noise. I've been experimenting with changing the config parameters on the Touch, and was able to affect the level of that pollution. However, the more I was getting close to minimizing this pollution, the more would I be getting breakages in the playback, even to the point that the Touch would just fall completely silent, and only a hard reboot would jolt it back to life! So you see, the files do not always get through.

You can't win (not on the cheap, at least).

stevekr
18-06-2012, 21:48
Hi guys, for those wanting to turn their Bushmaster \ Caiman into a remotely controlled device I've ordered this from an American company http://inday.com/da4x/da4x.htm it will also expand your s\pdif and toslink inputs. Good eh?

magiccarpetride
18-06-2012, 21:50

Well feck it, just when I solemnly promised my wife that Bushmaster will be the absolute last hi fi component I'll ever purchase!

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this battery improves the sound.

J-PG
19-06-2012, 01:32
[…] The pc has an optical out that last time I tried it fed horrible clicking and hissing noises into the dac whenever I moved around the room […]

Hamish, I'm having similar ''signal loss'' problems while playing 96khz content, standard 44.1 khz and 48 khz files are working fine though. I tried two different cables while the more expensive one (better built quality) creates less clicks and pops. Temporarely I had a clean signal @ 96khz but the fireckracker sounds are coming back irregularly.

I ordered three different cables now to determine wether it is the fault of the cable or the 3,5mm optical output + adapter.

I will discuss this topic more in depth in my upcoming BM-Review!

:doh: My English must sound horrible to you guys :whistle:

nat8808
19-06-2012, 01:46
Hamish, I'm having similar ''signal loss'' problems while playing 96khz content, standard 44.1 khz and 48 khz files are working fine though. I tried two different cables while the more expensive one (better built quality) creates less clicks and pops. Temporarely I had a clean signal @ 96khz but the fireckracker sounds are coming back irregularly.

I ordered three different cables now to determine wether it is the fault of the cable or the 3,5mm optical output + adapter.

Is this from your PC?

This sounds familiar thinking back to the days of setting up a PC soundcard for use with Digital Audio Workstation software (making and recording your own music). Sometimes solved with new drivers for the soundcard, sometimes solved using different latency settings within the software drivers, sometimes only solved when tinkering with background processes in the operating system.

Could also be a clock-locking problem too - perhaps your soundcard not giving a good 96KHz signal.

nat8808
19-06-2012, 01:56
Things keep getting better with the Bushmaster, now that it continues burning in (I'm leaving it on a constant uninterrupted 27/4 burn-in diet).

Hey, I've just discovered a brand new Bushmaster's talent. This is something I've never heard from ANY DAC, but this baby seems to offer it in troves (after the mandatory initial burn-in, that is). It's gonna be very hard for me to describe this new peculiar talent in words, so the impatient should stop reading right about now:

Let me start with a riddle. You know those pesky little sentences many of us keep getting in an email, as a lighthearted joke? Something like this:

H0W 0UR M1ND C4N
D0 4M4Z1NG 7H1NG5
1MPR3551V3 7H1NG5
1N 7H3 B3G1NN1NG
17 WA5 H4RD BU7
N0W Y0UR M1ND 15
R34D1NG 4U70M471C4LLY

For the purposes of my illustration, let's say that regular DACs are converting digital to analog by rendering sentences in the above fashion. Now, what I found about the Bushmaster is that, unlike any DAC I've ever heard, it actually renders the above material like this:

HOW OUR MIND CAN
DO AMAZING THINGS
IMPRESSIVE THINGS
IN THE BEGINNING
IT WAS HARD BUT
NOW YOUR MIND IS
READING AUTOMATICALLY

Looks like a minor difference? Not really. The difference is actually enormous. You see, even though the brain can be trained to read the original gobbledegook, it tires easily, because it's constantly straining to replace the numbers interspersed in the text with the appropriate letters. What the Bushmaster does is it spells out, in full (in clear text), the content it is converting from the bit-perfect digital signal.

This feat produces such clarity, such enjoyable listening experience, that it can indeed rightly be compared to a good analog reproduction. It is, to my mind, a major breakthrough, because what I've discovered is that now I can literally listen for hours on end, and continue enjoying music, while not getting tired or fatigued even one bit.

I don't know what exactly is going on inside this DAC, but I call it 'continuity'. When I compare it with other DACs I've listened to, I'm startled to hear the lack of this 'continuity' in other DACs, which causes tiredness and irritability to the listener. Basically, all other digital reproduction that I've listened to seems to expect the listener to 'fill in the blanks' (in a similar fashion to how we were expected to 'fill in the blanks' with the above letters-and-numbers sentences). It is this 'continuity' that seems to be a special talent of the Bushmaster, because it does not expect us, the listeners, to fill in any blanks. Because of that, it is now incredibly easy to follow any instrument, or any chosen cluster of instruments/voices, from the beginning to the very bitter end, without losing track for even a split second. Musical performance now feels completely coherent, as there are no hiccups or little burps on the journey. In short, the music flows joyously!

That, to me, is a major accomplishment. I'm pretty sure there must be other high end DACs that can compete with regards to this ability to offer uninterrupted 'continuity' and the joyous flow of music, only I haven't ever been able to hear such rare beasts. Did anyone ever hear DACs that can pull this stunt? Did what I wrote here even make any sense to anyone?

This sounds like something I've thought about before, why some things you want to turn up, some you want to turn down the volume, sometimes you want to turn off the music..

Your brain is so relaxed and at ease with the sounds coming to your ears that your brain can kind of switch off and not be on the alert to certain I-can't-quite-put-my-finger-on-it unnatural sounds that keep tweeking its attention.

Happens often between digital and vinyl - some digital can get annoying after a while whereas you can listen to vinyl all day and you always want to crank up the volume rather than often tweeking it down.

I guess it is real detail, resolution coming through.

I always imagine it comes of real low noise conditions.

I really need to get myself a BM! Have some other holes for money to go in before I start to have spending money unfortunately but hopefully with some sales of unused gear I'll fill those financial pot-holes up soon and begin to enjoy a smooth ride.

J-PG
19-06-2012, 02:06
Hi Nat,

My setup:

Macbook Pro early 2008 with 6Gb of RAM, Mac OSX Lion 10.7.4

Software: iTunes, Amarra, Fidelia

I can reproduce the problem by changing the sample rates manually in the os audio/midi setup. The built in 3.5mm optical out is limited to 96khz so it should work properly.

I turned off every third party process, Spotlight and the OS sounds but without any change. Only the better built tos-cable changed a bit. I found mac users with similar problems, some saying that it is the fault of the built in output and others are saying that a better adapter (tos with built in 3.5mm jack) should be used. Oo

The Vinyl Adventure
19-06-2012, 06:22

This isn't a recent issue as such for me ... And it was seemingly (from memory) a connection problem as it only happened when I moved (I think - it was about 18 months ago that I last tried the optical out on the pc)

StanleyB
19-06-2012, 06:41
Guys I would like to point out that any drop out between source and DAC won't be masked by the Bushmaster. It does not use a mute circuit to hide drop outs and blips in the music, which is different to many other DACs.

The Vinyl Adventure
19-06-2012, 06:56
Yeah, that's definitely not what I was suggesting ... I was after a cable to see if it did happen with the bushmaster as it used to happen with my majik ds ...
But even then I knew it was at the pc end

StanleyB
19-06-2012, 07:04
Yeah, that's definitely not what I was suggesting ...
I was not saying that you did Hamish. I was making a general point since I have had a few emails from various people asking about it.

The Vinyl Adventure
19-06-2012, 07:46
I wasn't saying that you were saying that I did Stan, just backing up your comment ;)

StanleyB
19-06-2012, 07:52
No problem :). So many things on my mind right now. I only have 19 pieces of stock left out of a first production of 250 pieces, and next batch won't be ready till last week of July. So I am completely stressed out right now with doing the logistics.

Gazjam
19-06-2012, 09:03
Hi Gaz,

Yes, you're right. I chose the wrong term. What I should've said is that the already bit perfect signal gets slightly polluted by some unwanted spurious noise. I've been experimenting with changing the config parameters on the Touch, and was able to affect the level of that pollution. However, the more I was getting close to minimizing this pollution, the more would I be getting breakages in the playback, even to the point that the Touch would just fall completely silent, and only a hard reboot would jolt it back to life! So you see, the files do not always get through.

Not good mate.
I know you liked your Touch as well.

Jamtoast
19-06-2012, 09:29
T

The word play is a nice analogy and I echo the sentiment. The most analogue sounding DAC I've ever heard.

Jabberwocky
19-06-2012, 09:33
FFS lighten up, it's only stereo. We are a community and as far as audio fora go, IMHO we are a fairly close knit one, so little spats will occur from time to time. But they rarely get out of hand, thanks mainly to the general ethos of the main body of members IMO. If such spats were a daily occurrence I would have some sympathy with your 'Farewell' - even the people involved do not seem to be as upset as you about it.
Join in and contribute your findings, there are a lot of people who would find it of interest, me included :)
Dave.

Will do - but a bit busy this week.
The 'rough and tumble' doesn't bother me - just don't see the point of it in this context. It wouldn't shut me up (quite the contrary) but it could put off others...

Jamtoast
19-06-2012, 09:35

Listening to it tonight in place of the provided 12V Unifive SMPS, I am impressed.

Does this work to improve the sound while plugged in and charging or does that defeat the purpose?

MartinT
19-06-2012, 09:39
Does this work to improve the sound while plugged in and charging or does that defeat the purpose?

That would defeat the purpose and the supplied cables don't allow it anyway. The battery lasts for hours and hours on a single charge, so it's not really inconvenient.

icehockeyboy
19-06-2012, 09:55
FWIW, I use the Touch and I have no noise at all from the SBT that I can detect. I use a DACMagic but I also use an optical cable. I tried the coax with the Touch and found that optical just sounds better. I saw a few posts when it first came out and people recommended the coax as they thought it should sound better but after the Touch had been out a while I saw a lot of people confirming what I found in that the optical cable did sound better than coax :scratch:

Stans own recommendation is a coax into input 4 (coax 2). :scratch:

icehockeyboy
19-06-2012, 11:16
Only managed a very short listen, but last night after about 6 hours running, I listened to a few tracks vis Spotify, and first impressions were of a holographic feel to the music, I couldn't have the volume high enough to hear what was happening treble wise, hopefully do that later.

First impressions? Build quality miles ahead of my first Stan dac, small enough to hide from the wife's eyes ( very important!) and so far already an improvement on SQ!

nightyy
19-06-2012, 11:47
Just received mine, and as I am at work I can only comment on build quality:in that area the BM is miles ahead of its predecessors. The casings of the 7510 and 7520 were sturdy but looked a little like controllers in industrial environments. The BM is a gorgeous looking audio device!
It is noteworthy that I always had the trouble of my cables (coax, toslink, cinch, power) pulling the 7510/7520 down at the backside, so they went up at the front like doing a wheelie. The BM is deeper and will not suffer that effect.

bacobits
19-06-2012, 13:43
Can anone please tell me the cost on this Beresford Bushmaster DAC???
I cannot find it listed anywhere or if it is it does not state the price.
Also where is Beresford made? GB?
Sorry for the stupid questions I did not go through all the posts but my curiosity is up.

Both of Stan's link sites need better info.

Thanks!

D

loonytunes
19-06-2012, 13:43

Of course you can - you've got the Bushmaster have you not? And your cheap alternative transport could be the QA550 seen here http://www.chevronaudio.co.uk/html/untitled24.htm on Chevron Audio's website. In fact Colin from Chevron replied saying that as a transport it sounds better than a substantially upgraded Teac VRDS25X! So there you have it, a cheap transport albeit severly restricted to WAV file playback only and no streaming. But at least its something that promises to sound excellent on the cheap.

loonytunes
19-06-2012, 13:51
The difference is actually enormous. You see, even though the brain can be trained to read the original gobbledegook, it tires easily, because it's constantly straining to replace the numbers interspersed in the text with the appropriate letters. What the Bushmaster does is it spells out, in full (in clear text), the content it is converting from the bit-perfect digital signal.

Perhaps this is what we have all been waiting for all along (or does new kit always get stirred up into a new box frenzy like this?). Perhaps this is why I need a valve amp to make things sound fantastic (in my case a Consonance Cyber 10 Signature) - maybe valves calm down the transient state of digital. I'm getting excited at the prospect of getting rid of my bulky valve amp (I love it really) in order to save space in the lounge, now that digital has evolved to this level and we no longer need valves to help voice digital :)

edmondwolfman
19-06-2012, 13:58
Can anone please tell me the cost on this Beresford Bushmaster DAC???
I cannot find it listed anywhere or if it is it does not state the price.
Also where is Beresford made? GB?
Sorry for the stupid questions I did not go through all the posts but my curiosity is up.

Both of Stan's link sites need better info.

Thanks!

D

If you go to the Beresford site and click on the Shopping (or similar) link it takes you to the homehifi page. The cost in US with shipping is around $179.00

magiccarpetride
19-06-2012, 14:56
Not good mate.
I know you liked your Touch as well.

Bushmaster revealed certain slight issues with the Touch that I wasn't aware of while I was using the Caiman. Tweaking the Touch certainly helps, but there is a fine line somewhere in there and if I cross it, the Touch starts with hiccups and breakages (which is, as you might imagine, very disturbing to the listeners).

MartinT
19-06-2012, 15:15
All I've done with my Touch is setup the EDO (Enhanced Digital Output) and disable any unnecessary add-ins. Everything else is standard. I have no problems with sound quality whatsoever.

Methinks you need to go back to square one.

icehockeyboy
19-06-2012, 15:22
Just got home, wife out, so volume at normal and got Larry Carlton live in Paris on.

Wow! This is one hell of an improvement with only 24 hours on it!

As you may recall, I sold on my Theta, which I loved as I could not detect any difference to the SQ when I compared it to the Touch's dac, not so with the BM!

I had thought maybe a newer dac would act differently, and it seems I am not wrong!

This is one fine piece of kit that I would not hesitate to recommend to anyone looking for a big up in SQ! ;)

edmondwolfman
19-06-2012, 15:44
Just got home, wife out, so volume at normal and got Larry Carlton live in Paris on.

Wow! This is one hell of an improvement with only 24 hours on it!

As you may recall, I sold on my Theta, which I loved as I could not detect any difference to the SQ when I compared it to the Touch's dac, not so with the BM!

I had thought maybe a newer dac would act differently, and it seems I am not wrong!

This is one fine piece of kit that I would not hesitate to recommend to anyone looking for a big up in SQ! ;)

I use an older DACMagic and Touch and I compared each for DAC and I can say that if you compare a standalone DAC to the internal DAC in the Touch and you can't tell the difference then you should definately move on. The DACMagic was far better than the internal Touch DAC. If I didn't have them side by side I may not have seen such a stark difference but being able to switch and listen within a few minutes proved that while the Touch DAC works fairly well the external DACMagic just sounded a lot better.

loonytunes
19-06-2012, 15:48

The Theta and the SBT in the same league, who would have guessed?

magiccarpetride
19-06-2012, 17:38
All I've done with my Touch is setup the EDO (Enhamced Digital Output) and disable any unnecessary add-ins. Everything else is standard. I have no problems with sound quality whatsoever.

Methinks you need to go back to square one.

So you're not hearing your Touch delivering any hardness in the upper mids and highs (I'm assuming you're using the Bushmaster)? If that's the case, I think I'll have to indeed try going back to square one...

The Vinyl Adventure
19-06-2012, 17:40
Heard it through these today
http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/1c2df460.jpg
It wasn't quite as good as the linn klimax ds unfortunately, but that is a £13000 source so I wasn't expecting it to... Certainly didn't shame its self in that company though :)

Bazil
19-06-2012, 17:50
^Thats a rather nice buffet going on there :cocktail:

MartinT
19-06-2012, 18:05
So you're not hearing your Touch delivering any hardness in the upper mids and highs (I'm assuming you're using the Bushmaster)? If that's the case, I think I'll have to indeed try going back to square one...

Nope - Touch with standard PSU (for the moment - new one coming soon), Bushmaster running from 12V battery. Co-ax connection into Input 3. Running EDO and all unnecessary add-ins disabled. Standard Logitech Media Server with a variety of file formats on a W7 desktop machine. Cabled ethernet connection.

No hardness, just superb detail.

magiccarpetride
19-06-2012, 18:14
Nope - Touch with standard PSU (for the moment - new one coming soon), Bushmaster running from 12V battery. Co-ax connection into Input 3. Running EDO and all unnecessary add-ins disabled. Standard Logitech Media Server with a variety of file formats on a W7 desktop machine. Cabled ethernet connection.

No hardness, just superb detail.

Sounds great. Gotta get me that 12V battery (just after I've solemnly swore to my wife that there will be no-more-audio-purchases!)

sq225917
19-06-2012, 18:31
I love the idea that a digital source could be damaging the signal in someway to affect a specific frequency band- that's genius. 'If' the dac sounds like that it's the dac that sounds like that, the Touch just passes the bits onwards.

The Vinyl Adventure
19-06-2012, 18:33
^Thats a rather nice buffet going on there :cocktail:

It was lovely ... The joys of uhes

alan47
19-06-2012, 18:39
Been there,thought i recognised the table,and the statue,that room can be an expensive place to be in.:eek:

MartinT
19-06-2012, 18:56
'If' the dac sounds like that it's the dac that sounds like that, the Touch just passes the bits onwards.

If we were to accept that, all digital transports and streamers should sound the same. After all, it's only the DACs that sound different. Is that really your experience?

Gazjam
19-06-2012, 18:57
Oh well.
thats that then...

magiccarpetride
19-06-2012, 19:05
If we were to accept that, all digital transports and streamers should sound the same. After all, it's only the DACs that sound different. Is that really your experience?

There is a school of thought (and I'm using the word 'thought' in a very special sense here) that claims that a shitty $20 DVD player from Walmart, when used as a digital transport into an outboard DAC, sounds exactly the same as the ultra high-end $20,000 digital transport.

nightyy
19-06-2012, 19:24
There is a school of thought (and I'm using the word 'thought' in a very special sense here) that claims that a shitty $20 DVD player from Walmart, when used as a digital transport into an outboard DAC, sounds exactly the same as the ultra high-end $20,000 digital transport.

To be honest, that is EXACTLY my thought. I do not use a DAC inside any device, I only own external DACs (Stan's, Moodlab Concept), and I do use unspecific sources that all sound the same when configured to output bitferfect:

Dell D830 on docking station with coax and Foobar/Asio
Acer 1810TZ with toslink and Foobar/Asio
Asrock Z77 Pro3 workstation with coax and Foobar/Asio
Squeezebox Touch with Toslink
'Shitty' 18€ DVD-Player with toslink (bitperfect configurable!)
'Expensive' ex-1800€ DVD-Player with coax
Panasonic 42inch plasma with toslink

And IMHO the effects on the source side on SQ are neglectable when compared to a exchange of speakers, DAC, or amp.

icehockeyboy
19-06-2012, 19:31
I use an older DACMagic and Touch and I compared each for DAC and I can say that if you compare a standalone DAC to the internal DAC in the Touch and you can't tell the difference then you should definately move on. The DACMagic was far better than the internal Touch DAC. If I didn't have them side by side I may not have seen such a stark difference but being able to switch and listen within a few minutes proved that while the Touch DAC works fairly well the external DACMagic just sounded a lot better.

I think the rub is in the fact that the Theta, although high end and high priced, may be of an age that didnt do the Touch any favours.

Worthy of mention, years ago when I had my first Stan dac, it boosted the SQ of the Minimax cdp, but when the MM was replaced by a Consonance Linear 2.2' it did nothing, and was outed, to be replaced by the Theta, which did make a difference.

The Vinyl Adventure
19-06-2012, 19:42
Been there,thought i recognised the table,and the statue,that room can be an expensive place to be in.:eek:

Indeed ... It has been for me a few times!
Although concidering the fact that you could buy my whole system and still have change for a pretty decent s/h car for the cost of the speakers we were listening to ... It can get a touch more pricey!
Still, you can't argue with the service!

magiccarpetride
19-06-2012, 19:59
To be honest, that is EXACTLY my thought. I do not use a DAC inside any device, I only own external DACs (Stan's, Moodlab Concept), and I do use unspecific sources that all sound the same when configured to output bitferfect:

Dell D830 on docking station with coax and Foobar/Asio
Acer 1810TZ with toslink and Foobar/Asio
Asrock Z77 Pro3 workstation with coax and Foobar/Asio
Squeezebox Touch with Toslink
'Shitty' 18€ DVD-Player with toslink (bitperfect configurable!)
'Expensive' ex-1800€ DVD-Player with coax
Panasonic 42inch plasma with toslink

And IMHO the effects on the source side on SQ are neglectable when compared to a exchange of speakers, DAC, or amp.

Wow, that's a very impressive list, and a very interesting conclusion. I just did a side-by-side comparison between Squeezebox Touch into the Bushmaster via coax and Playstation 3 slim into the Bushmaster via optical. Colossal differences in the sound reproduction, switching back and forth creates such a jolt. I'm not sure if it's just the Playstation, or if other transports would give me the same jolt of surprise.

But if you can, do try comparing SBT with Playstation 3. I'm sure you'll be able to hear the difference.

nightyy
19-06-2012, 20:26
Well there are differences, when you cannot control the source or chain. I have a broken 7510, and the replacement Moodlab DAC just would not accept the 15m coax connection (signal to weak?) So I had to go via HDMI to my HP ZR24W LCD, and using its coax out with a short cable to the Moodlab DAC. I just couldn't get SQ right there. But well, maybe it was just the Moodlab DACs performance?
As long as you can force ASIO or WASAPI out or have a source putting out nice bits you're ok

Ali Tait
19-06-2012, 20:57
Ok, back from the shoot out at Gary's. Can't be arsed posting all about it tonight, I'll do a write up tomorrow. Some interesting conclusions, which we all agreed upon.

One star of the show was my TQ Black cables. I have never heard a cable make such a difference in a system.

wee tee cee
19-06-2012, 21:01
majik

sq225917
19-06-2012, 21:02

I'm 100% behind the statement that all transports and streamers 'should' sound the same, yes of course they 'should'. Any decent dac should render all competent transports to sound the same. Obviously there are varying degrees of dac 'quality' out there (quality being technical ability to deal with the source variance) but we're being told the Bushmaster is a high quality dac with a reference grade sound. Are we now to understand it has that but not the ability to reject moderate jitter?

To answer your direct question though, yes it is my experience that a good dac renders the source moot, certainly the Weiss does.

This is far of topic however, shall we move it to the other thread where pc sources are being discussed with the Bushmaster, Mods?

MartinT
19-06-2012, 21:04
It's difficult to hold the two threads separate but yes, let's keep this one for actual reviews.

brian2957
19-06-2012, 21:11
Ok, back from the shoot out at Gary's. Can't be arsed posting all about it tonight, I'll do a write up tomorrow. Some interesting conclusions, which we all agreed upon.

One star of the show was my TQ Black cables. I have never heard a cable make such a difference in a system.

I think the TQ Black caught us all by surprise mate . Good meeting you and hearing your excellent system Ali.
Brian.

Ali Tait
19-06-2012, 21:20
Cheers Brian, yes likewise, it was good to meet you, it was an enjoyable afternoon.