PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Edinburgh

Lee
04-06-2012, 06:35
Hello to everyone from Scotland. Name's Lee. I'm originally from California, but moved to the UK twenty years ago. I've been following this forum for quite a while now. I've been interested in music and hi-fi for as long as I can remember. My brother had an old 78 turntable which I managed to keep working using sewing machine needles. I knew then there must be a better way to repair the equipment and reproduce the music, but I also remember being facinated by how sound could come from a needle, a real needle. My first records were Hound Dog, and Green Door. Now as I'm approaching the big 60, I've managed to scrape together equipment on a teacher's salary that should just about satisfy me for the rest of my days. Now it's all about listening to the music, which is all digital.

I'm greatly appreciative of folks out there that have the genius and willingness to produce great sounding equipment for prices even a teacher can afford. Equipment sources include Beresford (two Caiman Gators, waiting for the Bushmaster), Dayens Alpino Power Amps, Hornshoppe - Heil "Time Vampire" speakers and Truth buffered passive optical preamp, B.K. sub, Mark Grant cables, Apple Mac source, Grado 1000GS headphones.

Ali Tait
04-06-2012, 09:42
Hi Lee, welcome to the madhouse, nice to see more local (to me) members.

Reid Malenfant
05-06-2012, 19:17
Hi Lee, a warm welcome to the forum from me as well :) Sewing machine needles you say :eyebrows: Well what the hell, you should have tried a few antique shops, I remember loads of 78s & proper needles floating about in them as a kid :)

Any chance of you getting some pictures of your system posted in the gallery? You may well be the only member on here with Heil loudspeakers, do they happen to use the air motion transformer?

Sorry for the questions, I couldn't help myself :D

Bests to you & I hope you enjoy your stay here!