PDA

View Full Version : SP10

chris@panteg
10-01-2009, 19:47
I do feel a bit of a sad old git but i just found this on utube' very nice, i quite like the music also' but what cart is that' looks a bit like an spu ?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bRGViQ4OWHE

Arlequen
11-01-2009, 14:03
Ortofon SPU on a Ortofon arm

Marco
11-01-2009, 17:47
Fantastic :)

A proper T/T and a proper arm and cartridge in a proper system - all in the one video!

Don't know about how 'proper' the music is though ;)

Marco.

chris@panteg
11-01-2009, 18:07
Hi Marco
Hum yes well i have to confess i quite like classical and all sorts of strange old world music like this ,and my other half hates it but that's fine. this guy has a 301 and lenco and i think a sp15 too

Marco
11-01-2009, 18:13
I don't mind it much actually, Chris. I own a lot worse! :lol:

Marco.

chris@panteg
11-01-2009, 18:20
The SP10 is truly a wonderful piece of Japanese engineering or perhaps masterpiece is more apt a word.

Marco
11-01-2009, 18:36
It is - but trust me, an SL-1210, properly modified to the nth degree, is 99% of the way there, providing arms, cartridges and plinths are equal in quality. And you have a new deck to show for it, too :)

Marco.

Dave Cawley
11-01-2009, 19:02
As one who owns both, the Sl-1200 is 95%. The SP-10 will see your grandchildren out too!

Dave

chris@panteg
11-01-2009, 19:31
Hi Dave

yes indeed and the SL1210 has really surprised me with the few mods i have made so far and i quite fancy the time step, though i will have to be patient bit skint, but i sometimes wonder is it really as good as i think it is , having had the linn and the voyd.5 the last couple of years i had the LP12 it sounded good but i had spent over 3k and the voyd was about the same but 2nd hand of course.

I have always fancied getting a 1200 , for me with my modest set up of CA640p and 740a into the trusty Snell's i am very happy, yes i do miss my old all valve set up' but its great to see some of the gear you guys are using.

Marco
11-01-2009, 20:18
As one who owns both, the Sl-1200 is 95%.

I won't fight with you over 4% ;)

Even at 95%, it just shows how good a properly modified SL-1200 or 1210 is if it can give 95% of the performance of a true 'heavyweight' turntable legend like the SP10.

It kind of puts things into perspective doesn't it, Dave? Why would anyone want to buy some currently available (or even second-hand) low-mass belt-drive tat instead?

I just hope certain people on other forums who rather misguidedly think the modified 1210 thing is "Internet hype" are reading this!!

Marco.

chris@panteg
11-01-2009, 20:34
Yes Marco there are quite a few references to hype regarding the 1200 yet it seems to come from certain trade members on other forums, who very possibly may be you know what dealers which seems very ironic.

Marco
11-01-2009, 21:00
It's not only trade members, Chris, it's some of the blinkered old school 'flat-earthers' who refuse to open their ears and accept that their beloved LP12s and Regas are no longer the 'must haves' they once were.

Well, too bloody bad... The Technics direct-drive invasion is coming at them 'full-force', and if the likes of Dave C and me having anything to do with it, it will wipe out the blinkered and nonsensical 'flat-earthism' that has strangled the UK turntable hi-fi market since Ivor T began his viral marketing campaign 37 years ago!!

Watch this space... :eyebrows:

Marco.

chris@panteg
11-01-2009, 21:59
Blimey Marco' you don't mince words

Well hear is a tale for you from my m8 john way back in 1990 ish
he went down to see Gary dews in Brighton about some valve amps,
and in attendance was Guy Sargeant and Peter Qvortrup and they had this troika cartridge which they were looking at and the cantilever was at some crazy angle 'ask guy if he remembers Qvortrup almost in hysterics, i don't feel quite so amused myself as when i checked my troika' yep you guessed it the cantilever was slightly bent but it still sounded ok .

We really are getting off topic now.

Marco
11-01-2009, 22:30
Nope, that's me - I tell it straight as I see it! This year will see the Technics make significant inroads into the UK audiophile T/T scene and a marked change in the attitude of 'hi-end' users to the 1210 and the modifying of it thereof, and this forum will play a big part in that... Mark my words! ;)

Nice little tale there, Chris. I like 'off the cuff' stuff like that :)

Marco.

Mike
11-01-2009, 23:08
This year will see the Technics make significant inroads into the UK audiophile T/T scene

Ah!... I see 'Mystic Megg', err, I mean 'Mystic Marco' has been peering into her crystal ball again! :eyebrows:

Marco
11-01-2009, 23:26
Indeed, Mikey, "she" has! It's part of my 'goals' for this year - and you know how I like to achieve my targets with projects ;)

Marco.

pure sound
12-01-2009, 08:54
Blimey Marco' you don't mince words

Well hear is a tale for you from my m8 john way back in 1990 ish
he went down to see Gary dews in Brighton about some valve amps,
and in attendance was Guy Sargeant and Peter Qvortrup and they had this troika cartridge which they were looking at and the cantilever was at some crazy angle 'ask guy if he remembers Qvortrup almost in hysterics, i don't feel quite so amused myself as when i checked my troika' yep you guessed it the cantilever was slightly bent but it still sounded ok .

We really are getting off topic now.

Hi Chris,

I remember PQ being near hysteria on many occasions (!) but I can't specifically recall that incident. Why were we looking at a Troika anyway? Had someone brought it in to be installed or repaired?

chris@panteg
12-01-2009, 11:22
Hi well do you remember John Jeffrey from Banbury

he told me it was a cartridge brought in or traded in he can't quite remember
but it was around 1990 ish ,we were talking about this last sat night over a few beers, he also told me you were all listening to some prototype A/innovations horn speakers .

The thing is i had a troika at that time and the cantilever was slightly bent also.

pure sound
12-01-2009, 12:08
Ah, I remember the name and that he was a customer of Gary's. We'd have been starting cartridge manufacture in the UK at that time so perhaps were looking more carefully at any other cartridges we happened to see.

I imagine the speakers would have been some Tommy Horning designed prototypes that we didn't ever put into production. Still, Tommy has done pretty well with his own brand since then.

chris@panteg
12-01-2009, 12:31
Hi Guy

i wonder if you also remember another friend of mine' Paul Ducker from northants
its a well known joke in the trade he keeps kevin Scott in business .

A really nice guy but with a weakness for serious kit.

chris@panteg
12-01-2009, 12:34
Oh i forgot to mention i bought my voyd.5 from paul.

pure sound
12-01-2009, 17:08
I know Paul. Nice chap.
He could never remember who we all were! "Hello Guy?, Gary? it is Guy, isn't it Gary? It's Kevin actually. Oh hello Gary, it's Paul. Is that Guy? We didn't have the heart to put him right. It didn't really matter. He'd have got the same advice regardless.

There were times when he had some very nice bits & pieces working well together but he'd then feel driven to change something for something else.

chris@panteg
12-01-2009, 22:35
Yes that's Paul, one question or 2 do you still have your Voyd and do you prefer
your sp10 , it looks amazing with sme5 and IO ltd.

pure sound
13-01-2009, 14:18
I still have a couple of Voyds, the first one and a later one. It'd be interesting to set the later (probably better) one up with the SME again & have another listen. It has a quality of air & explosive power which perhaps the SP10 doesn't have but it doesn't sound perhaps as constant or solid as the SP10 either. For the kind of music I mostly listen to I'd probably choose the SP10. A well set up Voyd Reference might be a different story though!

I wish it was an Io Ltd. Maybe next time. Mine's an Io Gold in a copper body.

chris@panteg
13-01-2009, 23:57
The Voyd i had was Paul's of course with the ref PSU it did have an explosive quality in terms of dynamics i used an sme310 and music maker, Paul always regretted selling it to me but then he would say how lovely his Mentor was, ohh and he now has the Kuzma which surprised me, i think he should listen to your sp10 or a SL1200 like Marco's i think he would be shocked.

pure sound
14-01-2009, 09:41
The Voyd Reference had those huge & extremely powerful motors which lifted it up and away from even the Point 5. It had a strange but very nice effect of imposing calm & order which you rarely hear in any turntable. Perhaps the Morsiani has the same quality

chris@panteg
14-01-2009, 10:43
I was lucky enough to hear the Audionote reference once, quite incredible but is it as good or better than Guy Adams original, the .5 was the best turntable i ever owned' going from the linn to the voyd was a bit like changing a B/W 4.3 tv to a full colour widescreen set

pure sound
14-01-2009, 11:52
Similar qualities I'd think. Extreme overkill in both cases! The AN player has an interesting chassis which may help it. I'm not sure about running the belt around the outside of the platter though.

chris@panteg
14-01-2009, 12:17
Ahh not that one the AN copy of the original in rosewood it looked gorgeous,
PQ came and collected my .5 we talked about the new one it was an interesting experience in his trusty old Merc with those auto seat belt thingy's

Barry
28-03-2009, 01:14
Ortofon SPU on a Ortofon arm

Looks like a Fidelity Research arm to me (FR64?) - no matter, a fine record playing system.

Magna Audio
01-04-2009, 15:00
There's one on Ebay for $3999 Aus Dollars :eyebrows:
They do look extremely nice don't they.

John
01-04-2009, 15:57
That is crazy money is it a mark 3

pure sound
01-04-2009, 16:07
Its a Mk2 and is priced in Australian dollars. About £2K. It comes with the plinth for that price. They are creeping up though, bargains getting harder to find.

Darrenw
01-04-2009, 19:56
what do they go for now then? around £500 for the deck and the same for obsidian plinth?

rgds
darren

Dave Cawley
01-04-2009, 21:28
£1.5K would buy you an Obsidian Plinth, EPA 100, SP-10MKII and a PSU. :kiss:

:bag:

Dave

Marco
01-04-2009, 21:30
Yes, but would it all be working or is it a self-assembly job? :eyebrows:

;)

Marco.

Darrenw
01-04-2009, 21:34
how much of that is the EPA though? decks seem to be pushing £500 plinth about the same - is this in line with what you are suggesting dave - I am not familiar with the EPA

rgds
darren

Dave Cawley
01-04-2009, 21:37
This is the value, very rare and 100% OK. :kiss: Might take a week or three.

Regards

Dave

chris@panteg
01-06-2009, 11:37
Hi Dave

have you been watching this one ' blimey it seems everyone wants one now if only panasonic would start production again alas.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270396979750

Dave Cawley
01-06-2009, 12:41
Hi Chris

In reality, after being service by me (the oil will have gone thick and the capacitors will still need changing) :kiss:

Its value is around £2,500.00 Honest!

Regards

Dave

REM
01-06-2009, 12:52
Hi Chris

I think half of PFM and Wigwam have got that on their watch list, I just wonder how many are going to take a snipe at it?

Regards

Marco
01-06-2009, 14:11
Had I not just invested a significant amount of mullah in some new Tannoys I'd have snapped this up in a sec! But one has to draw the line somewhere, so I'll pass on this occasion and give someone else the opportunity... ;)

Besides, I'd rather have one of Dave's refurbished and fully-serviced ones - that is of course *if* he ever gets off his arse and does some! :lolsign:

:kiss:

;)

Marco.

chris@panteg
01-06-2009, 22:04
Hi Chris

In reality, after being service by me (the oil will have gone thick and the capacitors will still need changing) :kiss:

Its value is around £2,500.00 Honest!

Regards

Dave

Dave i can well believe that , the price of a Radikal ' for me the SP10 is the deck that i would aspire too 'if i had the money i would have Dave's timestep for it + full service .

Marco
01-06-2009, 22:16
That's exactly what I plan to have, Chris - sooner rather than later :)

The only reason I've 'gone the extra mile' (could be the underestimation of the century? :eyebrows:) with the SL-1210 is because I've never had the opportunity of owning an SP10 which I can be confident performs at 100% of its capability. The process and uncertainty of it all was too much of a ball-ache.

Until Dave appeared on the scene as someone whom I know knows what he's doing, it was a case of buying an SP10 on fleabay in the hope that it hadn't been too knackered in some radio station or broadcasting studio - and then there was the problem of finding a suitable plinth, so I opted for the next best option, which was to max-out an SL-1210 to within an inch of its life!

However, with the appearance of John from Slate Age Ltd, the problem of the plinth is sorted, so all I need is a fully refurbished SP10 from Dave, fit a 12" Jelco on it and an SP10 Time Step PSU, and Bob's yer aunty... :cool:

Marco.

Dave Cawley
01-06-2009, 22:55
Check out www.SP-10MKII.com it's all there, prices, everything. But we build to order only.

12" no problem, but we only use wood and marble, slate is OK and we will fit to a user supplied plinth no problem. :kiss:

Regards

Dave

chris@panteg
01-06-2009, 22:59
I think we need to perhaps BIG dave up ' his work on getting the 1210 to sound good and refurbishing SP10 's deserves more credit than its getting ' although maybe he is getting noticed i don't know .

Marco
02-06-2009, 06:51
Check out www.SP-10MKII.com it's all there, prices, everything. But we build to order only.

12" no problem, but we only use wood and marble, slate is OK and we will fit to a user supplied plinth no problem. :kiss:

Regards

Ya baby, but I'm waiting to get a listen to one you've built for someone first, and compare it to my 1210, to see what difference there is - remember? ;)

Are there any in the pipeline? :)

Marco.

Mike
02-06-2009, 11:24
I've never had the opportunity of owning an SP10 which I can be confident performs at 100% of its capability.

Until Dave appeared on the scene as someone whom I know knows what he's doing, it was a case of buying an SP10 on fleabay in the hope that it hadn't been too knackered in some radio station or broadcasting studio

Really? :scratch:

There's at least one other I can think of straight away, without even looking around, who can and does service these little tinkers. And has done for some time! ;)

Marco
02-06-2009, 12:03
Yes, I presume you're talking about Vantage?

The problem is I've never met the chap and so know nothing about his knowledge of SP10s and/or quality of workmanship (though doubtless he's perfectly competent). You also still have to source an SP10 yourself for him to refurbish/service, as I don't believe he carries stock, which then involves the whole ball-ache of going through the uncertain selection process that I outlined before...

With Dave, I know him and like the way he works. He also has a number of units in stock for refurbishment which have passed his 'selection process' and also which I know he will restore to my high standards. I’m sure the Vantage chap is fine (I know he’s doing your deck) but it's just the way I do things, Mikey :)

Marco.

Mike
02-06-2009, 12:16
Hmmm... OK.

So much for shying away from these 'classic' decks and all their worn out and 'unobtainable' parts then, eh? :eyebrows: :lol:

Marco
02-06-2009, 13:11
Mike, this point is, I simply say to Dave: 'build me an SP10', pay him some money, and collect it when it's ready. That's the type of service I like, with the minimum amount of effort or hassle involved!! I can then simply concentrate on listening to music, which is all that really interests me in this game :)

I also know that what I end up with will be top-notch, guaranteed, and therefore completely risk-free: in short, 'sorted' :cool:

Marco.

Mike
02-06-2009, 13:51
blah blah blah!..... Just admit it lad, you're going all retro and classic on us!

Next you'll be fitting your Sony CDP & DAC into a sideboard next to a reel to reel. Don't forget the three flying ducks on the wall too!

:lolsign:

Ian Walker
02-06-2009, 14:29
Don't forget the three flying ducks

I saw 4 in a junk shop should i get them for him,he could have two on top of each Lockwood.....Coronation street theme playin in background hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa

Mike
02-06-2009, 14:43
Hell yeah! :lol:

Marco
02-06-2009, 15:54
Weel... Actually, dahlings, my wardrobe is more suited to the set of Emmerdale. My rather fetching pair of pink 'pish-catcher' wellies (with built-in wetness indicator), which I team up with my flouncy, racy red, flannelette nightie and 'peek-a-boo' panel tights, goes down such a storm with the ladyboys at the local farmers cross-dressing convention :eyebrows:

:flasher:

:bum:

Marco.

Barry
02-06-2009, 16:41
blah blah blah!..... Just admit it lad, you're going all retro and classic on us!

Next you'll be fitting your Sony CDP & DAC into a sideboard next to a reel to reel. Don't forget the three flying ducks on the wall too!

:lolsign:

With the exception of the flying ducks I'm already there! Most of my equipment is 35 years old and some of it hasn't been changed for over 30 years. Fortuately a lot of it is built to a professional standard and is very reliable. Well, that's my excuse for being a skin-flint and not buying any modern gear - though I might try out some of these new fangled steel needles; can't imagine they are much of an improvement over the thorn ones I keep sharp with my penkife.

Regards

Barry

Spectral Morn
02-06-2009, 17:39
Weel... Actually, dahlings, my wardrobe is more suited to the set of Emmerdale. My rather fetching pair of pink 'pish-catcher' wellies (with built-in wetness indicator), which I team up with my flouncy, racy red, flannelette nightie and 'peek-a-boo' panel tights, goes down such a storm with the ladyboys at the local farmers cross-dressing convention :eyebrows:

:flasher:

:bum:

Marco.

I do worry about you Marco :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: and your imagination ;)...or is that ummm reality.

Talking of which, when you can drag yourself away from your Lockwood reds would you care to write part three of our story.....;) Our audience awaits....perhaps ?

Regards D S D L

Marco
02-06-2009, 23:51
Hehe... I do have a very vivid imagination ;)

I'm up to my eyes work-wise just now, matey, so unfortunately story time is out for the moment... However, to stay on-topic, here's a nice piccy of an SP10 with one of the coolest arms on the market:

http://www.topclassaudio.com/web/eng/photo_gallery_details.jsp?gid=2247

Now *that* is sheer class! :cool:

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
03-06-2009, 00:05
However, to stay on-topic, here's a nice piccy of an SP10 with one of the coolest arms on the market:

http://www.topclassaudio.com/web/eng/photo_gallery_details.jsp?gid=2247

Now *that* is sheer class! :cool:

I've always thought that the SP10 is a hard TT to match aesthetically with a plinth. With a wood plinth it never seems to look right, no matter what it's mounted on. It needs something with very little character in the figuring. Many times, I've seen them mounted on highly figured bits of wood that are fantastic bits of wood, but not visually right in that application.

But that's the first one I've seen that gets close - maybe in real life it's different & the photo doesn't pick out the natural character of the wood - I don't know, perhaps it's really as the photo portrays it.

As someone who loves timber, I'm shocked to find myself thinking that the SP10 is one TT that needs a non-wood 'picture frame'.

Barry
03-06-2009, 00:29
How about:

http://www.thomas-schick.com/arm/IMG_7203.jpg ?

Barry

MartinT
03-06-2009, 04:07
here's a nice piccy of an SP10 with one of the coolest arms on the market

I love that arm: I have a friend with a DV-505 and it's a fab arm to play with, massively engineered. He has it on the huge three-pillar Micro Seiki DD turntable.

What's the arm to the left? Kuzma?

Ritch
03-06-2009, 07:35
Hi Martin, the arm on the left is a Brinkmann 10.5 fitted on a Brinkmann deck. That chap in Italy has some serious kit.

chris@panteg
04-07-2009, 14:19
This looks a lovely example on ebay 'i just don't have the finance alas

one day maybe

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fantastic-TECHNICS-SL-1000MkII-SP-10MkII-TURNTABLE_W0QQitemZ130316393811QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables?has h=item1e57765d53

Marco
04-07-2009, 15:20
Quality, Chris. With an SP10 Time Step PSU fitted, and a 12" Jelco, that would fly! :)

Marco.

Mika K
03-05-2012, 06:44
Bump as have a SP-10 related question.

Have been eyeballing one Technics SP-10mkII unit sale locally here, or actually it is a broadcast model made for YLE finnish equivalent for BBC. The table has separate electronics board SH-10C with mono/stereo switch and headphone jack, separate internal phonostage board SH-10U, SP-10mkII unit itself and SME series III arm with some old cart, dunno which one.

http://www.hifiharrastajat.org/foorumi/attachment.php?attachmentid=21810&d=1335514946

http://www.hifiharrastajat.org/foorumi/attachment.php?attachmentid=21811&d=1335514957

http://www.hifiharrastajat.org/foorumi/attachment.php?attachmentid=21812&d=1335514975

Have to have a closer look soon but I guess there is some way to strip down the whole thing to a decent plinth if not going to store that as a rare item as know that YLE has ordered perhaps 30 pieces of them at some point. Some nice solid plinth perhaps for 12" arm etc.. :D

Anyone seen such a beast before somewhere or have experience of stripping down similar unit?

synsei
03-05-2012, 06:50
As much as I am a fan of the SMEIII I'm still trying to get over the fact that one was fitted to a broadcast deck, it wouldn't be my first choice for such an application... :scratch:

Mika K
03-05-2012, 06:58
I know as had to do the same :D

I do not know has the arm been fitted after the actual broadcast use or what is the story behind that..

NRG
03-05-2012, 07:24
Fascinating! Never seen one like that before, looks 100% original. I would be tempted to leave it as it is....preserve it...it would be a real shame if you broke it down into bits. :( Are there any more available?

Mika K
03-05-2012, 07:50
Everything else is proved to be completely original but the arm. That part is still not clear.

The first owner after YLE says that this unit has been used at the foyer for the artists waiting their turn to do live performances or heading for the recording studio. That is the reason for the small speaker at the SH-10C unit plus the headphone jack.

I know that some years back these were cleared out from YLE with silly low prices and occasionally some unit can be seen at the open markets. One friend acquired one unit with the EPA-100 tonearm. Unfortunately the prices have gone up from those days..

Mika K
23-05-2012, 14:32
The beast has landed and oh boy it sounds marvelous after checking the mechanics and the tonearm and cartridge adjustments. And this despite of the SME series IIIs arm and Clearaudio Aurum Alpha mkII cartridge.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7096/7255625256_5816d078cb_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7081/7255629472_f46d6dcd83_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7073/7255630674_a70fc80705_c.jpg

The internal Technics SH-10 series power supply, control unit and phonostage seem to also work as they should. Some weird future plans for this beast are starting to pop to my mind.. :D

Mika K
23-05-2012, 18:12
In between few LPs opened up the hood of this broadcast deck and it has legs in front part of the plinth, so you can set the deck to service mode. Just like in some cars. Nice ;)

Anyway it seems that the tonearm is mounted in standard way and also uses RCA plugs to connect to the integrated phono stage. I'm guessing in next few weeks I will try what my SME V can deliver with this beast as have never been big fan of the series IIIs tonearm..

NRG
24-05-2012, 21:54
Neat, look forward to how you get on with it...how's the speed stability?

Mika K
25-05-2012, 08:58
Steady as can be with all speeds and no problems with start/stop whatsoever, so looking good..