PDA

View Full Version : Hey peeps...Midlander seeks help

soultrader
03-06-2012, 12:04
Hi People

Happy to be part of this forum, definitely one of the better ones on the web.

My story, well... I'm currently in a predicament and I'm hoping someone on here can help.

I recently bought a set of Paradigm studio 20 version 5 speakers. I bought them because they were half price and I had made a neat profit selling car bits. It's my first time owning decent hi-fi so I can't say much in terms of the sound other than it works. Prior to this I had been looking for speakers for sometime and gained a 'feel' as to what to expect in terms of price and so I felt they were a bargain, especially considering people will pay up to 75% for some of bowers and wilkins lower end gear; stuff for which I originally budgeted.

Naturally, buying these paradigms was going out on a limb and what I didn't anticipate or budget for was the amplification requirements. I now have a beautiful set of speakers being driven by a pathetic 45 watt amplifier and I can just feel the deficiency robbing me of any decent listening pleasure. The amplifier to be more specific is a literally lightweight Sony TA FE-370.

I'm now stuck between whether to sell the speakers or find a decent enough low budget 'good' amp. I was hoping to hold onto them for a bit and have been researching the amp market. I can't afford tubes but know I appreciate 'warm' sound as this happens to the sound coming out of the speakers after the amp has warmed up. I don't want to spend much as I've already blown my budget on speakers. 200 the absolute max. Preferably around the 100 mark for something like a pioneer a676 would be nice. I noticed I missed out on this already from a certain bear on these forums. Ebay has all but dried up, I wasn't sure when they were available whether it was the amp for me. I've looked into some of technics stuff but there's a lot of them and I don't know what to make of them.

My listening space is a bedroom of around 5 by 5 metres. I don't have the sound particularly loud but I want an amp with good fidelity, not sure if wattage is an indicator of this.

Other amps I've liked the look of include:

Marantz pm 7200
Technics su vx range

Please, any help or offers in helping me choose or buy an amplifier would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Mr. Farooq

p.s. for anyone interested...

My musical journey started as a youngster (duh!). Back then it was the summer of '99 and I was buying trance records, a sad start I know. I've always been intrigued by sound/ music and as a youngster I guess buying music was tainted with me wanting to appear cool, who knows. Although one thing was certain I just couldn't deal with chart music and when trance finally did make it into mainstream I was gutted, lol. Besides, my listening experiences back then were never broad enough for me to pay attention to better music, back then I probably would have happily wrote off half of the stuff I listen to now. Never really had good music around me either so I've had to develop and seek out my own tastes. But help did come in the form of my sister who introduced me to Gilles Peterson and his worldwide show, this opened up doors for me in terms of exposure to different sounds, old and new, urban and your not so urban, this was right around the time he dropped his INCredible mix. It's hard to describe what you like as being a list of genres, because although I like music which spans a lot of genres I also hate a lot of the stuff in the same genres, stuff which might even be considered essential listening. If I had to though I'd describe my favourite musis as deep emotive beats with urban sentiments. I find today this is best expressed through the recent works of Kromestar (be warned his styles vary and he can make awful grimy stuff to, probably best to check his albums 'my sound and colourful vibrations)... otherwise I like stuff that is MOBO particularly the jazz, funk and soul of the late 60's and early 70's, Housey stuff, Electronic stuff... pfff can't really think right now, stuff I don't listen to? probably Classical, Rock and Indie. Don't like to appear conceited in musical taste and don't treat listening and collecting music like a wine tasting party. Although I've since stopped buying vinyl, I find the best music has always been on vinyl? the best stuff to come out of the charts as of late? emeli sande - heaven, alicia keys - new york...

that's me done, anything else?

DSJR
03-06-2012, 12:14
Welcome :)

There is a Paradigm model which beat some serious top end models when compared behind an acoustically transparent curtain - the listeners couldn't see which was playing and the worst was a Martin Logan I understand.

Have a look out for an A&R A60, a classic from yesteryear, fairly easy to modernise the power supply etc and easily sold on once you've had your use from it. Most far eastern amps on the used market are pretty dire, especially on the phono inputs although the odd goodie comes along from time to time.

The Quad 77 integrated is gorgeous in sound, if bland and limited in inputs and appearance. Noone likes them because of this - Quads are supposed to have filters and tone controls - and they sell for not much more than your £200 budget. The sound is fab though, very sweet, musical and valvey to my ears and there's enough inputs for most people.

Last one from the 90's - Myryad MI120 - Same designer as the A&R A60 above, plenty of power and superb build and sonics..

There, I think that's enough for now :)

soultrader
03-06-2012, 12:59
My god that quad's ugly, heh, I forgot to mention I'm all for aesthetics. Is there anything else you'd recommend from Quad around the same price point and with the same characteristics?

hifinutt
03-06-2012, 18:35
welcome khalid
i`d try and find some arcam , great sound and value from arcam especially fmj kit if you can find

http://www.2ndhandhifi.co.uk/amplification/creek-cas4040-integrated-amplifier/

this would fit the budget too

Reid Malenfant
03-06-2012, 19:02
Hi Khalid, welcome to AoS :) Nice introduction, just a bit of a shame that you now realise you need an amp with some grunt :(

I reckon that with £200 you should be able to come up trumps though, given a little patience :)

Here's hoping you find your prize & enjoy your stay!

soultrader
04-06-2012, 09:47
Thanks for your suggestion guys, after weeks it seems both a pioneer a676 and marantz 7200 have made it back to ebay! wish me luck on the marantz...

soultrader
04-06-2012, 10:51
Being told Nad is the way to go?

Mr Kipling
04-06-2012, 11:34
Hi Khalid,

I'm sure others here would say there isn't one way to go. For something DIFFERENT there's the Fatman Wi-Tube Dock Amplifier b grade stock for £189. Valves 28 +28w. Limited inputs however. Gets very good review at hifi wigwam. There's a similar Roth MC 4 £99. Valves 13 + 13w, which might not be enough for your speakers, but it does depend on the load they present. It also gets a good review at What Hi-Fi when used as part of a main system. Greeehomeshop.co.uk have some cheap butch-looking Kenwoods. Sister shop Usedhifishop.co.uk have a Nait 3 for £235 which is a bargain if you can stretch to it, and you like the look of it.

Kind Regards,
Stephen

soultrader
04-06-2012, 12:20
What can I buy valve wise around the £250 mark and would it be better than a solid state?

soultrader
04-06-2012, 12:21
I'm not sure what to make of wattage? will this matter I don't even crank my 40 watt amplifier past half way, yet my speakers run up to 150?

Macca
04-06-2012, 12:47
I'm not sure what to make of wattage? will this matter I don't even crank my 40 watt amplifier past half way, yet my speakers run up to 150?

150 watts will be the rating for maximum continuous power handling - you will never get to putting that much power through them unles you buy a seriously powerful amplifier and you like things really loud. The quoted spec of your 'speakers is 90db sensitibity and 8 ohms so they should be (you can never really tell) an easy load and so your current Sony amp should be just fine, again unless you like things really loud in which case you might be better changing the 'speakers for something 'chunkier'.

In short I don't see how you will really improve things by changing amps with a budget of only £200 unless you really get lucky and find a stupid bargain.

Maybe look at making improvements elsewhere instead?

soultrader
04-06-2012, 13:19
It's just the amp comes across wimpy at times and doesn't sound good low as it does high. I'm hoping a better amp will solve this. I mean the amp only weighs about 4 kilos... that's just wimpy? I mean I've owned a Marantz pm 7003 before, that wasn't too bad. Noticeably better than my current amp.

Macca
04-06-2012, 13:54
It's a budget amp so you can't expect to get too much welly out of it - did you try the Marantz with your current speakers? More power on tap will help at low volumes I agree but I think you need to spend a bit more even s/h in order to get it.

The Grand Wazoo
04-06-2012, 22:54
How do you know it's the amp that's lacking? Don't make assumptions and don't spend too long looking at specifications - if you do have to change something, then choose with your ears.