PDA

View Full Version : Printer Frustrations

webby
02-06-2012, 15:06
I have a Canon iP4500 printer. It's a couple of years old now I guess but it works fine barring one frustrating annoyance. The nozzles need cleaning every time I use it. The thing is, I don't use it very often at all, and when I do, I mostly use a B&W preset to save on using colour ink.

The downside to this (I've learned) is that the nozzles get clogged by being underused. Cleaning uses up a fair bit of ink; further frustrations.

Anyone else have this printer? Do you have any tips or advice you could offer?

Thanks,

sparrow
02-06-2012, 15:35
Because of under use my Printer is totally fooked. If using rarely better to cover it with a towel or something to keep it free from dust.

webby
02-06-2012, 15:38
Because of under use my Printer is totally fooked. If using rarely better to cover it with a towel or something to keep it free from dust.

The printer lid is always closed, I assumed it was due to the ink drying in the nozzles, therefore causing blockages and affecting print quality.

bobbasrah
02-06-2012, 17:06
Hi Lee,
Not sure if it is similar to the 5000 which I have, but FWIW.... The nozzles generally park on a pad, so are not supposed to be exposed to air...

The carrier returns with the head and cartiridges and parks on the pad which is supposed to drain to a tank, but over time the pad gets choked with ink, and becoming hard, hence no longer seals properly to the head.

I serviced mine per info on the web, paying particular attention cleaning out the pad and tank, and it has been running fine almost 3 years later, with very very periodic use.
A[aty from the occasional smudge at the edge when printing photos, it is reliable...

If your machine is similar I would suggest that route, and if worst comes to worst junk it, as machines are cheap these days...

brian2957
02-06-2012, 17:12
Get yourself a Brother DCP 195C . rarely used , seldom blocks up , self cleans when it does . Compatible inks cost around £5.00 per set of four on Ebay and Amazon . Excellent and reliable printer costs around £60.00.
Brian.

spendorman
02-06-2012, 21:44
I gave up with Inkjets some years ago, got fed up with them. Run an old HP Laserjet 6L. Only black printing, very reliable, toner cartridge lasts for ages (several years in my case), and can be bought very cheaply on eBay.

MartinT
02-06-2012, 23:19
Agreed, I run an HP1020 laser printer (surplus from work) as I got fed up with my Canon inkjet blocking and misfeeding paper. If I need colour I can print at work.