PDA

View Full Version : Moth RCM

prestonchipfryer
01-06-2012, 19:28
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx309/prestonchipfryer/moth-1.jpg

Recently I purchased a Moth RCM from MCRU. Gotta say it is excellent at cleaning some of the vinyl I have bought from boot sales and charity shops. On vinyl that I've had for many, many years that's been through the RCM, there is a definite increase of fine detail on some records. Very pleasing.

Now there was some cleaning liquid supplied, based on isopropyl alcohol (it says so on the label). I have now bought some IPA and was wondering what would be the best proportion of IPA to de-ionised water, and if a wetting agent is needed (would 'fairy' liquid be ok/).

snapper
01-06-2012, 19:51
I have now bought some IPA and was wondering what would be the best proportion of IPA to de-ionised water, and if a wetting agent is needed (would 'fairy' liquid be ok/).

Congratulations, best upgrade ever for a vinyl junkie.

I use about 25% IPA with a dash of Ilfotol. Alternatively, use a couple of drops of cheap washing up liquid, tends to have less crap in it compared to fairy.

prestonchipfryer
01-06-2012, 19:55
Just looked in the cupboard and all we have is Fairy. :lol: Cheers.

snapper
01-06-2012, 20:07
Fairy has sodium chloride in it, which is commonly known as salt. Not something you really want to put on your vinyl.

AlfaGTV
01-06-2012, 22:21
And to me a 25% mixture tends to be a little strong. I prefer around half of that, some Aqua Purificata, purified water, from your friendly drugstore.
Add a few drops of dish washing fluid and then your'e off! :)
Oh, and i use this as a pre-washing solution. After that treatment and vacuum, the records are washed again with L'Art du Son, absolutely bleeding brilliant!

Try it! It's kinda expensive but lasts, like forever!:)