PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Audio Note DAC-Zero

RochaCullen
31-05-2012, 14:19
Hi All,

I am interested in buying an Audio Note DAC-Zero. If anyone has one they would be willing to part with, please give me a shout.

Its either one of those or a Bushmaster for me.

Thanks,

Nathan

Canetoad
31-05-2012, 14:57
Mike was trying to sell one a while back.

Here (http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17626)

I have one but want to keep it at the moment. Sounds very nice with a few mods. :)

Mike
01-06-2012, 11:53
Mike was trying to sell one a while back.

Yeah, but it developed a slight "rustling noise" on one channel, so I've withdrawn it till I can get chance to take a look. Decorating my daughters bedroom is turning into a much bigger job than I'd anticipated though... :brickwall:

Marco
01-06-2012, 12:01
Hi Nathan,

I've heard Mike's DAC, as I've been using it in my system, and that of a mate, for the last week or so. It sounds superb, and to all intents and purposes is working fine.

The "rustling noise" *may* only be normal low-end background noise you sometimes get with valve gear, and nothing to worry about.

Ian and I use huge and highly efficient Tannoy DC speakers, which would highlight a fairy's fart from 20 miles away, so the noise in question may not even be audible with 'normal' speakers.

When Mike tests it he'll no doubt confirm, ASAP. Therefore, I wouldn't discount this option yet :)

Marco.

RochaCullen
01-06-2012, 12:51
Mike informed me of the "rustling noise", and said he would look into it. Still open to Mike's Dac if he can give it the all clear.

Marco, I experience the phenomena you are speaking about with the rest of my audio note kit. To be expected with valve gear, I suppose.

Keep me posted, Mike.

Put the post up to see if other folks had an AN Dac they were looking to off-load. Patience was never my strong point. :doh:

Yeah, but it developed a slight "rustling noise" on one channel, so I've withdrawn it till I can get chance to take a look. Decorating my daughters bedroom is turning into a much bigger job than I'd anticipated though... :brickwall:

Canetoad
01-06-2012, 14:50
I've just taken a leaf out of Mike's book and replaced the 5 volt regulator in mine with a Dexa discrete. That and the AN Copper output caps Ali Tait fitted when he owned it and I won't be selling mine on for a while. :eyebrows:

Definitely worth getting one if you can.

Ali Tait
01-06-2012, 15:11
Be interested in hearing it with the new reg Bernie. I have fitted O'netics transformers now to the dac Nick built for me and I'd like a benchmark to judge them against (though I think they are still running in), so if you're free from now till Tuesday to come round, let me know if you're up for it.

Mike
01-06-2012, 16:31
I've just taken a leaf out of Mike's book and replaced the 5 volt regulator in mine with a Dexa discrete.

Regulator upgrades ain't bad in this DAC are they? ;) Also consider Schottky diodes for the rectifiers, they're pretty cheap. Don't bother messing with the heater supply though, there's next to no benefit and I think that's what's causing the rustling noise on mine... damned if I can figure out how I managed that though! :scratch:

Mike
01-06-2012, 16:37
P.S. Erm, sorry about the thread drift! :o

Jonboy
01-06-2012, 16:47
Definitely worth getting one if you can.

Thats what i have been trying to tell you all :D

Mike
01-06-2012, 16:49
Thats what i have been trying to tell you all :D

Listen to the man. I did! :)

I just fancy trying something a bit further up the range. ;)

Canetoad
01-06-2012, 19:14
Regulator upgrades ain't bad in this DAC are they? ;) Also consider Schottky diodes for the rectifiers, they're pretty cheap. Don't bother messing with the heater supply though, there's next to no benefit and I think that's what's causing the rustling noise on mine... damned if I can figure out how I managed that though! :scratch:

Which would you suggest Mike? :scratch: