PDA

View Full Version : HI-Fi World Speaker Cable Review

MCRU
28-05-2012, 14:46
Nice to see (for me anyway) out of 12 different speaker cables reviewed by Paul Rigby in this month's Hi-Fi World, only 2 received 5 globes.

For anyone who does not read the magazine or has not got it yet, for a bit of fun who can guess which 2.....

Fisual Havana FX
Audioquest Type 2
Talk Cables Talk 3
Black Rhodium Twist
Tellurium Q Blue
Chord Carnival Silver Screen
Kimber Kable
Wireworld Luna 16/4
TCI Diamondback
Hidiamond Diamond 1
Clearaudio Copperline Alpha
VDH The Arctic

Answers on a postcard :lol:

Wakefield Turntables
28-05-2012, 15:24
i subscribe but i havent got it yet (its waiting for me in my office) but I would hazard a guess at

Black Rhodium Twist
Tellurium Q Blue

MCRU
28-05-2012, 15:39
i subscribe but i havent got it yet (its waiting for me in my office) but I would hazard a guess at

Black Rhodium Twist
Tellurium Q Blue

Well done boss, spot on!

oceanobsession
28-05-2012, 17:14
Interesting, are they saying that these two sound best or best value for money, is the Black Rhodium Twist better than the
Tellurium Q Blue

Wakefield Turntables
28-05-2012, 17:19
Well done boss, spot on!

Really, honestly! I'm shocked, I never win anything :lol:

MCRU
28-05-2012, 17:39
Interesting, are they saying that these two sound best or best value for money, is the Black Rhodium Twist better than the
Tellurium Q Blue

Sound quality, all were around the £100 mark (ish), the twist was 2nd best and the TQ top out of the 12.

MCRU
28-05-2012, 17:39
Really, honestly! I'm shocked, I never win anything :lol:

If you dusted and polished you Techy and take a nice pic then maybe?:)

MartinT
28-05-2012, 17:50
TQ top out of the 12.

We haven't all been banging on about Tellurium Q for the fun of it! Glad Hi-Fi World agreed with us.

MCRU
28-05-2012, 17:52
We haven't all been banging on about Tellurium Q for the fun of it! Glad Hi-Fi World agreed with us.

I agree, although it has to be said for a cable that sells for £3.50 per metre (black rhodium twist) to come 2nd is quite an achievement IMHO.

Lee Henley
28-05-2012, 22:36
Had the TQ Blue, nice cable for the money, only changed it since I found the Chord Epic to sound better in my system

DSJR
29-05-2012, 08:35
The cable that came second should offer dealers up to 75% margins, so it's not an expensive wire by any means...

Me, I'll stick to my Naim lookalike "Microphonic" stuff. Sounds great when I stroke it with my ear up close and personal, cost a quid a metre and allows the speakers to faithfully reproduce every stupid thing I do further up-stream :rofl:

ColinWonfor
29-05-2012, 18:16
I agree, although it has to be said for a cable that sells for £3.50 per metre (black rhodium twist) to come 2nd is quite an achievement IMHO.

From the review it does look like BRT is £11.83/M and TQ Blue is £13.67/M so is £3.50/M correct or is the review price wrong?
:scratch:

MCRU
29-05-2012, 18:40
From the review it does look like BRT is £11.83/M and TQ Blue is £13.67/M so is £3.50/M correct or is the review price wrong?

It is £3.50 per metre young man :)

Hope so as it's that price on my website (http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/speaker-cables/427-black-rhodium-twist-speaker-cable.html)

MCRU
29-05-2012, 18:54
The cable that came second should offer dealers up to 75% margins, so it's not an expensive wire by any means...

Me, I'll stick to my Naim lookalike "Microphonic" stuff. Sounds great when I stroke it with my ear up close and personal, cost a quid a metre and allows the speakers to faithfully reproduce every stupid thing I do further up-stream :rofl:

75% ........... take a drink and sit down

ColinWonfor
30-05-2012, 04:22
It is £3.50 per metre young man :)

Hope so as it's that price on my website (http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/speaker-cables/427-black-rhodium-twist-speaker-cable.html)

God if I am a young man, what age must you be, thanks for the info, so review price is incorrect.
Now for work :cool:

MCRU
30-05-2012, 07:09
God if I am a young man, what age must you be, thanks for the info, so review price is incorrect.
Now for work :cool:

Well I am old but do not get up and write forum posts at 5.22 a.m so there must be plenty of life left in you yet Colin...:lol:

JazzBones
30-05-2012, 09:36

Martin, me knowing how gawdamm fussy Naim amps, in my case the 135sCBs, are with other brand speaker wires, how do you reckon the Tel wires would behave or perform in my set up... or for that matter, does anyone else have an opinion? I know Colin Wonfor once worked a short while with Naim? Guess I should go ask him, is he approachable?

Ron

MartinT
30-05-2012, 09:51
Sorry Ron, but I have no experience of Naim amps. Try one of the TQ dealers who is also a Naim dealer for advice.

MCRU
30-05-2012, 10:00
Martin, me knowing how gawdamm fussy Naim amps, in my case the 135sCBs, are with other brand speaker wires, how do you reckon the Tel wires would behave or perform in my set up... or for that matter, does anyone else have an opinion? I know Colin Wonfor once worked a short while with Naim? Guess I should go ask him, is he approachable?

Ron

They work fine Ron, I have been asked that question plenty of times, also with other hi-fi gear which is cable fussy.

Last set of black speaker cables I sent out was for a Naim customer.

ColinWonfor
30-05-2012, 10:05

Ron

Ron,

I do hope I am approachable? except in the morning grrrrr:lol:

Col

ColinWonfor
30-05-2012, 10:06
Well I am old but do not get up and write forum posts at 5.22 a.m so there must be plenty of life left in you yet Colin...:lol:

Good God man I was up at 2.30AM drawing, just not sleeping well.:lol:

MCRU
30-05-2012, 10:07
Ron,

Col

if you class morning as when you posted on the forum colin (5.22.a.m) who is approachable at that silly time...:) most of us are in bed dreaming of cables :lol:

MCRU
30-05-2012, 10:08
Good God man I was up at 2.30AM drawing, just not sleeping well.:lol:

I presume you me solidworks or autocad drawing and not crayons :)

JazzBones
30-05-2012, 10:48
Ron,

Col

Hi Colin, what do you reckon re your speaker cable with my 135sCBs, okay safe or not?

By the way Col, your Inca Tech gold plated 15amp mains plugs and sockets are stilling doing superb service in my system for well over 20 plus years now... guess you where in knee pants then? :lol: I get up twix 4 - 5am (early) but its to head for the toot to do an urgent inspection of the porcelain... thats advancing years for you ;)

Ron

ColinWonfor
30-05-2012, 17:14
Hi Colin, what do you reckon re your speaker cable with my 135sCBs, okay safe or not?

By the way Col, your Inca Tech gold plated 15amp mains plugs and sockets are stilling doing superb service in my system for well over 20 plus years now... guess you where in knee pants then? :lol: I get up twix 4 - 5am (early) but its to head for the toot to do an urgent inspection of the porcelain... thats advancing years for you ;)

Ron

No at 59yrs I am still in shorts and sandals going on Sags Hols, with a stick and fixed ticker. :cool: But thanks for kind words. :lol:
Crayons yes drawing new amp circuits, and a solar psu at 100KW a mere toy.
:rolleyes:

ColinWonfor
03-06-2012, 06:25
Found this on YouTube.
Love the music, just a bit early.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5_NBrO1-ok
:D

icehockeyboy
27-06-2012, 12:51
The price of the Blue is not accurate Colin, thought you would know that!:lol:

MCRU
27-06-2012, 20:32
The price of the Blue is not accurate Colin, thought you would know that!:lol:

The blue is £16.50 per mere off the reel, £19.50 per metre terminated at both ends so as an example a 5 metre stereo pair terminated would cost £195.00, if you just bought it off the reel £165.00

icehockeyboy
29-06-2012, 12:28
The blue is £16.50 per mere off the reel, £19.50 per metre terminated at both ends so as an example a 5 metre stereo pair terminated would cost £195.00, if you just bought it off the reel £165.00

And no nasty hidden £5 per mono metre surcharge on lengths under 2m either!

I have to say I loved the Blues, and wasn't as impressed with the Black as I had been with them.

MartinT
29-06-2012, 15:33
That's interesting. Further up the scale, I found the Ultra Blacks to be considerably better than the Greens in terms of speed and bass impact.

MCRU
29-06-2012, 17:34
That's interesting. Further up the scale, I found the Ultra Blacks to be considerably better than the Greens in terms of speed and bass impact.

Well there is a certain chap up in the north east on the AOS who will be listening to black, green and ultra black pretty soon so another opinion would be most welcomed.:)