PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Greece

SaSi
10-01-2009, 00:08
Hello everyone and best wishes for a happy new year.

I found this nice and "young" forum a few hours ago and browsed through the threads before deciding to join in.

Have been involved with hifi for over 30 years, ever since I listened to LPs on my family's Dual 1009. Have gone a long way since then, only to run full circle and return to analogue sound. I realized that the degradation of music to data files, torrents and cheap equipment really took the pleasure out of it. Something like what fast food had done to a gourmet dinner with fine wine and candle light.

I enjoy good music through fine equipment. I also enjoy fixing the better vintage gear when they are broken so I can enjoy them and I also apreciate the "ART" on the better designed and engineered gear made for the enjoyment of music.

Marco
10-01-2009, 00:18
Hi SaSi,

Welcome to AOS :)

What a fantastic opening post! It really gives us an insight into you as a person and your interest in hi-fi. I think you'll fit in very nicely here with values like this which are so dear to me:

Have been involved with hifi for over 30 years, ever since I listened to LPs on my family's Dual 1009. Have gone a long way since then, only to run full circle and return to analogue sound. I realized that the degradation of music to data files, torrents and cheap equipment really took the pleasure out of it. Something like what fast food had done to a gourmet dinner with fine wine and candle light.

That's fabulous and so true! So what's your proper first name and your current system and favourite music?

Marco.

Spectral Morn
10-01-2009, 00:23
Hi SaSI

I look forward to your contributions. Welcome to AOS. Funny Marco and I were just thinking along similar lines. I agree with what you have said in your first post.

Regards D S D L----Neil :)

SaSi
10-01-2009, 01:22
Hi SaSi,
That's fabulous and so true! So what's your proper first name and your current system and favourite music?

Marco.
Hi and thanks for the welcome.

I enjoy all sorts of good music, ranging from Classical to Jazz and from ethnic to Rock'n'Roll.

My favourite two artists are Ludwig Van Beethoven and Bruce Springsteen.

I still have the system I configured 25 years ago comprising of a Dual 1009 table, Luxman L-2 amplifier, Technics RS631 cassette and DIY incarnations of LS3/5A complemented by a B&W Isobaric subwoofer. I currently only use the loudspeakers of that system.

I have also gotten hold of a complete Revox B7xx system (B791, B750, B710, B760 and B77) completed with a B225 CD player. No speakers for that yet - going to build them myself. This is destined for a living room of a new home in a few months. Collected that piece by piece now that I can afford it as it was an impossible dream when these originally came out.

Apart from those, I do have a substantial collection of things, some of sentimental value only and others with juice in them. If only I had more space.

The B791 turntable equiped with an Ortofon MC20 MkII and an Ortofon T-30 step-up transformer, the B750 amp and a pair of Sennheiser HD650 are actually my day to day system complemented by a Technics RS-1500 deck, whenever I have space in the room to bring it up from the storage room. On occasion, I also fire up the loudspeakers.

And, finally, my first name is Savvas. SaSi is formed from the first two letters of my first and family names. Easier and catchy...;)

Regards to all,

Savvas

John
10-01-2009, 06:33
Think its great to have such open music taste and truly be into the enkoyment of music. Welcome to AOS looking forward to reading your thoughts I totally agree with your thoughts about music and great to have another person who loves analogue

Beechwoods
10-01-2009, 06:50
Ooooh... That Revox system sounds interesting... the B77 in particular :) Can't wait for some pictures! A mate has a B77 and it's a lovely machine...

Welcome! Glad you've said hello, SaSi.

Filterlab
10-01-2009, 11:19
Hi Savvas and welcome. :)

Looking forward to seeing those pictures!