PDA

View Full Version : Madonna - Hard Candy, hard on cheap headphones

Filterlab
09-01-2009, 18:34
Stunning album, sounds bloody amazing through speakers. Unfortunately my cheapo Sennheiser PX100s which I bought for iPod duty are a touch overwhelmed by the staggering dynamics on the album when connected to my DAC.

Roll on next Tuesday, my HD600s with Cardas Rewire get delivered then. :)

Marco
09-01-2009, 19:02
It's in pink vinyl on my avatar, Rob :)

I have it on CD and vinyl (the double album in candy pink and blue vinyl came with a free CD of the same album and a 12" single) and trust me, as good as the CD is the vinyl trounces it in terms of audio quality, particularly the 12" single. On the 1210, the bass reaches down to subterranean levels through the spendors and is much more vibrant and punchy than the CD version, although very good in its own right - if of course you like the rather cheesy music :eyebrows:

You'll really need to get a T/T sometime, my man! :gig:

Marco.

Mike
09-01-2009, 19:05
Oh dear me! :doh:

muffinman
09-01-2009, 19:07
American life 2lp has always been a ref record for me.
excellent production and 60% good tracks
i'd like to get music on vinyl as the cd is also superb ref material

Marco
09-01-2009, 19:12
Oh dear me! :doh:

Get with it, daddy-o! :dance:

:kiss:

Marco.

Filterlab
09-01-2009, 19:26
...the bass reaches down to subterranean levels...

I'm guessing the track Beat goes on (track 8) will have made your woofers wobble the most, there's some seriously meaty lows in that one!

You'll really need to get a T/T sometime, my man! :gig:

It'll be a priority purchase once I've moved house, but for now I'm solely digital and my primary listening will be through my new headphones. There's loads of kit I have to buy before I get near a turntable but I will get one eventually. I still have fond memories of my Thorens/SME/Shure set-up from eons back. :)

Get with it, daddy-o! :dance:

Yeah, come on Mike! Move your booty with the times baby!

Marco
09-01-2009, 19:49
I'm guessing the track Beat goes on (track 8) will have made your woofers wobble the most, there's some seriously meaty lows in that one!

Dat's da one, baby! At suitable volume it rearranges your intestines and pins you against the wall, sweating, into submission... :eyebrows:

My favourite track though is "Devil Wouldn't Recognise You" (track 11). I love the way the bass line ebbs and flows, rhythmically, and the sweet, melodic, vocals which accompany it - lush!

However, the 11-minute long 'Peter Saves New York' remix version on the 12" single of '4 Minutes' is, oh dear, how shall it put it, 'visceral' :eek: :wow:

Marco.

Filterlab
09-01-2009, 19:56
Dat's da one, baby! At suitable volume it rearranges your intestines and pins you against the wall, sweating, into submission... :eyebrows:

I knew it! Great track, real punch*.

My favourite track though is "Devil Wouldn't Recognise You" (track 11). I love the way the bass line ebbs and flows, rhythmically, and the sweet, melodic, vocals which accompany it - lush!

However, the 11-minute long 'Peter Saves New York' remix version on the 12" single of '4 Minutes' is, oh dear, how shall it put it, 'visceral' :eek: :wow:

I'm looking forward to giving it a thorough listen very soon. :)

Footnote:

*Understatement of the year.

:lol:

Marco
09-01-2009, 20:13
As far as I know, that particular mix is only on the 12" vinyl single, matey :)

Marco.

Filterlab
09-01-2009, 20:18
Sorry, I meant the album rather than that specific track. It's good to know that the vinyl releases still get 'extra' tracks on them, makes it special.

Marco
09-01-2009, 20:31
Nae probs :)

It's the extras like that I like about vinyl compared to just having files on a computer. Never mind, you'll have access to them soon enough with your own T/T. I'd like to think the 1210 will be on your list for auditioning :cool:

Marco.

Filterlab
09-01-2009, 20:33
From what I read on here and the general directions of many vinylophiles, it's unlikely that I'd look in any other direction to be honest.

Marco
09-01-2009, 20:40
Well there's certainly enough info written on here for you to go on!

When the time comes I shall of course be on hand should you need any general advice :)

Marco.

pjdowns
11-01-2009, 20:10
Stunning album, sounds bloody amazing through speakers. Unfortunately my cheapo Sennheiser PX100s which I bought for iPod duty are a touch overwhelmed by the staggering dynamics on the album when connected to my DAC.

Roll on next Tuesday, my HD600s with Cardas Rewire get delivered then. :)

Rob,

I have the PX100's for the my iPod also, I was starting to think that they could keep up with my Grado SR-125's, how wrong was I... On that Madonna album they have the pooh beaten out of them, but then for 30 quid they are pretty special !!!

P.