PDA

View Full Version : Cadenza Black or Bronze?

Blackmass
25-05-2012, 14:47
I'm having a Keel fitted next month and while it's in the shop I want to change my Cartridge.I'm currently using a Kontrapunkt C and have been really happy with it.I'm looking at the Cadenza Black or the Bronze.

What I would like to know is the Black better or just different to the Bronze?I have read acouple of reviews and they say the Bronze has a different sound to the rest of the Cadenza range.A more warm,full bodied sound.It is supposed to be the replacement to the Kontrapunkt C, so it's a sound that I know I'd like.

Basically does the Black do everything the Bronze does but better.The price difference is £300 pounds (with the trade-in).Is it worth going all out for the Black?

My system is all LINN.My deck has a new Walnut (LINN) plinth,Radikal,Ekos 2 and Trampolin 2. I use a Uphorik phono stage.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wakefield Turntables
25-05-2012, 16:07
I used to own Linn stuff. It was alright. I've also used ortofon on Linn gear and confirm that its GREAT! I own a black, dont mess around worrying about £300 just spend the extra and then enjoy.;)

oceanobsession
25-05-2012, 20:04
Hi there black mass and welcome to the forum, ive recently bought the bronze£1080.00, and never heard the black, the bronze is still running in at the mo
but right from the first record its got loads a body, great bass and its not over hyped at the top end, but very natural sounding, a smooth performer for
shure, and i think its still improving.

Blackmass
25-05-2012, 21:27
Thank you for the feedback and the warm welcome.So it's one vote for the Black and one for the Bronze so far.
The price difference isn't the problem.I just wanted to know what each one sounded like.
I think it's pretty near impossible to demo carts.The time to set up an A-B demo for one.Plus you are not getting a true reflection of the sound as they need X amount of hours to run in.
I remember listening to my first mc cart (mc25fl I think?) and being very disappointed.I had been using mm carts up until then.It just sounded...weak and thin.It took awhile for it to bed in and more importantly for me to really hear what it was doing.

DSJR
26-05-2012, 17:30
Unless there's a radical internal change, the dearer cartridge will be a selected cheaper one and priced accordingly. Enjoy :)

Wakefield Turntables
26-05-2012, 17:43
TBH if you pick the black or bronze your going to be in for a VERY nice surprise, Ortofon make some of the best MC's around and ortonfon gear itself works very nicely with Linn gear, especially the nicer tonearm's which they produced. ;)

Blackmass
26-05-2012, 19:40
TBH if you pick the black or bronze your going to be in for a VERY nice surprise, Ortofon make some of the best MC's around and ortonfon gear itself works very nicely with Linn gear, especially the nicer tonearm's which they produced. ;)

I guess I posted the thread to get alittle reassurance.When you're spending this sort of money you just need someone to say that you're not totally insane!

I read your 'NEW TOY' thread last night.How are you getting on with the Black?Has it improved much since it's run in?

I had alook through the galleries last night.I get the impression that you guys like your Technics decks;)

Great profile pic by the way.Do you like Electric Wizard by any chance?

Wakefield Turntables
26-05-2012, 22:34
I guess I posted the thread to get alittle reassurance.When you're spending this sort of money you just need someone to say that you're not totally insane!

I read your 'NEW TOY' thread last night.How are you getting on with the Black?Has it improved much since it's run in?

I had alook through the galleries last night.I get the impression that you guys like your Technics decks;)

Great profile pic by the way.Do you like Electric Wizard by any chance?

The black has indeed been broken in and its sound lovely. It's sitting on my 1210 and is a perfect partner for my V. Electric Wizard, never heard of them, but they sound like a band that I should at least look up. :cool: Incidently, you could buy the Ortofon ANNA at >£6K :eek: or is it £9K :scratch: So no you aint crazy dropping nearly a couple of K on a MC. ;)

vouk
01-06-2012, 10:03
Hi Rob,

Just as a follow up to our recent chat - The Bronze is not supposed to be a replacement for the Kontra C as Ortofon went for a different "voicing" - more laid back according to their press. When I got the chance to listen to both of them, I found them to be very different - and ultimately I went for the Kontra C on account of its clarity and its more detailed presentation (the massive discount on it obviously helped). I then heard the Black and was immediately impressed - to my ears it clearly outperformed the Jubilee and was frighteningly close to the A90 - to the point where it made me wonder whether the A90 was worth the extra outlay.
If you enjoyed the Kontra C then I would wholeheartedly recommend the Black. I think you will be very happy with it. :cool:

Wakefield Turntables
01-06-2012, 10:47
I then heard the Black and was immediately impressed - to my ears it clearly outperformed the Jubilee and was frighteningly close to the A90 - to the point where it made me wonder whether the A90 was worth the extra outlay.
:cool:

Thats made me very happy knowing that I have a MC that punches above its weight :cool:

vouk
01-06-2012, 12:44
Thats made me very happy knowing that I have a MC that punches above its weight :cool:

Way, way above it if you ask me. Incidentally, I'm off to my dealer to listen to the new Anna MC - nowhere near within my budget but what the hell..You can always dream.:)

Blackmass
01-06-2012, 13:46
Hi Rob,

Just as a follow up to our recent chat - The Bronze is not supposed to be a replacement for the Kontra C as Ortofon went for a different "voicing" - more laid back according to their press. When I got the chance to listen to both of them, I found them to be very different - and ultimately I went for the Kontra C on account of its clarity and its more detailed presentation (the massive discount on it obviously helped). I then heard the Black and was immediately impressed - to my ears it clearly outperformed the Jubilee and was frighteningly close to the A90 - to the point where it made me wonder whether the A90 was worth the extra outlay.
If you enjoyed the Kontra C then I would wholeheartedly recommend the Black. I think you will be very happy with it. :cool:

THANK YOU!:D:D:D

Alittle background to my current situation/dilemma.

My dealer had a ex-demo Keel for sale so I went in for a chat (always a dangerous thing;) ).I said I wanted the Keel and was thinking about having my Radikal or Uphorik dymanik'd.He suggested that a new cartridge might be the better option,seen as I'd had the KONTRAPUNKT C for awhile.

During our chat I said that I'd be really enjoying my Ikemi of late.He said that he'd got a Exposure MCX cd player for sale,second hand.It was at a very attractive price too.This threw a spanner in the works:scratch:
I've had the cd player on loan for the last few days.I had a good listen last night and.......it really didn't do it for me.There were loads more detail and a more muscular(?) sound.The thing is I never tapped my foot or even a nod of the head once.It just wasn't musically or involing at all.This is a 4k cd player.Is it me?

So I've made up my mind.I'm going for the Keel and the BLACK:D.I'm sure you all can get a decent nights sleep now:)

Thank you to you and everyone else for your advice.I wont be getting the Keel and cart til the end of the month.I'll report back then.

Wakefield Turntables
01-06-2012, 14:28

My dealer had a ex-demo Keel for sale so I went in for a chat (always a dangerous thing;) ).I said I wanted the Keel and was thinking about having my Radikal or Uphorik dymanik'd.He suggested that a new cartridge might be the better option,seen as I'd had the KONTRAPUNKT C for awhile.

During our chat I said that I'd be really enjoying my Ikemi of late.He said that he'd got a Exposure MCX cd player for sale,second hand.It was at a very attractive price too.This threw a spanner in the works:scratch:
I've had the cd player on loan for the last few days.I had a good listen last night and.......it really didn't do it for me.There were loads more detail and a more muscular(?) sound.The thing is I never tapped my foot or even noddy my head once.It just wasn't musically or involing at all.This is a 4k cd player.Is it me?

So I've made up my mind.I'm going for the Keel and the BLACK:D.I'm sure you all can get a decent nights sleep now:)

Thank you to you and everyone else for your advice.I wont be getting the Keel and cart til the end of the month.I'll report back then.

How much money are you paying for the Keel? Last time I looked at doing some things to my LP12 i nearly bought one, then a splurge of 2nd parties started fetching similar products out for far less money. Have you checked them out??

RobbieGong
01-06-2012, 16:36
The Jubilee is / was a very highly regarded cart indeed for some time and probably still is now so if the Cadenza Black clearly outperforms it then it is one heck of a cart. To talk of it with the A90 speaks volumes. As for the Shibata stylus on the Ortofons ... detailed as you like, smooth, displaying texture timbre etc big time and horns dont just play they parp lifelike as heck, wonderful seperation of instruments, oh! did I say detailed :lol:. Shibatas, I've read and judging by my humble mm 2M Black dig way deep into the groove. Again, and I emphasise, set up with time, patience and care, Shibatas are very vta / sra sensitive due to their sophisticated stylus profile so play around in tiny / small degress til you find that sweetspot, cause when you do :D I wouldn't hesitate to go for the Cadenza Black if I had the dough - trust me on that so I'm very pleased for you :)

Blackmass
01-06-2012, 17:48
The Keel is £1835 ex demo,new £2450.Alot of,well a hell of money.I remember when it first came out and I saw the price (£1950?), my mouth fell open in disbelief.
With the arrival of the Keel and the other SE modes I think it was a deal breaker for alot of the LINN faithful.I couldn't see myself affording any of them:(
I've only been able to afford the system I have now through knowing my dealer for a very long time.Most of my system is ex demo or second hand.

I haven't heard any of the third party products.Frankly the only one I would have considered listening to was the Rubikon.That's around £1250 so not cheap either.The others look bloody awful let alone what they sound like.

To be honest I haven't listen to any other 'makes' of hifi for along time(I tell a lie.My mate has got loads of Lenco's and they sound bloody fantastic).I wish I'd had alisten to the Whest 30RD for instance when I was demoing the Uphorik.I love the Uphorik but it would be nice to compare.You know how it goes.

I have heard the Keel and I was impressed.A friend of mine bought one when it first came out.He only went for it then as Linn were doing a 20% off offer at the time.He said that it brought everything into focus and made it more musical.

Just to go back to the Rubikon for a minute.I saw YNWaN's prototype deck and I fell in love.A stunning looking deck.Now thats something I'd love to hear:)

That's enough waffle for now:D

ridley
01-06-2012, 20:00
Hi,
The Cadenza Black is a great cart, the Shibata stylus is no where near as fussy to set up as the Replicant stylus fitted to the Bronze & MC A90.
The Black does need a good 20 hours plus to open up at the top end, it also works great into the Ortofon ST80 SE step up.

Simon.

oceanobsession
01-06-2012, 20:53

I've had the cd player on loan for the last few days.I had a good listen last night and.......it really didn't do it for me.There were loads more detail and a more muscular(?) sound.The thing is I never tapped my foot or even a nod of the head once.It just wasn't musically or involing at all.This is a 4k cd player.Is it me?

I had a listen to the rega isis cdp and osiris amp with monitor audio platinum
pl300 speakers with three grands woth of pure silver cables, at sound acadamy walsall, my own vinyl set up sounded better to me just shows you,
sometimes you have to cast your net wider, dont rule out .

Wakefield Turntables
02-06-2012, 15:54
Hi,
The Cadenza Black is a great cart, the Shibata stylus is no where near as fussy to set up as the Replicant stylus fitted to the Bronze & MC A90.
The Black does need a good 20 hours plus to open up at the top end, it also works great into the Ortofon ST80 SE step up.

Simon.

I must admit that Ortofon SUT is something thats on my hit list but I've got a silvercore SUT on order so I'll have to report back when I've had a few hours listening to it :eyebrows:

I had a listen to the rega isis cdp and osiris amp with monitor audio platinum
pl300 speakers with three grands woth of pure silver cables, at sound acadamy walsall, my own vinyl set up sounded better to me just shows you,
sometimes you have to cast your net wider, dont rule out .

I couldnt agree more. I have some simple Celestion speakers which sound infinitely better than more modern and expensive designs. Synergy bewteen components wins all the time I think. Spending money on a component and hoping it'll sound good is pointless in my eyes. ;)