PDA

View Full Version : Tonearm advice?

seoirse2002
25-05-2012, 12:59
Hi to the experts!!

Anyone know anything about the Alphason Opal Tonearm?

Any good? Easy setup?
Any experience with it, and turntables,carts used with it?

I have a chance of getting one from a friend for small money(he says)
What should I pay?

Thanks in advance
George:)

DSJR
25-05-2012, 13:00
YES! - nuff said methinks :lol:

Beobloke
25-05-2012, 13:12
It's an Alphason - 'nuff said.

Stop reading this and go and grab it now. Heck I'll give it a lovely home if you don't want it!

Wakefield Turntables
25-05-2012, 16:09
Adam,

What would be your ideal cartridge with the Alphason tonearm. I fancy something different other than Michell / SME tonearms that I own.

Andy

DSJR
25-05-2012, 21:24
If the bearings are ok, anything you like I think. Loves Deccas I feel, the rest is up to you :)

seoirse2002
26-05-2012, 22:30
Despite the advice to grab it.....Nobody has mentioned why the Alphason Opal is so good? or why?...compared to what other arm...
Anyone used them or had experience of them? with what TT? and cart?
Ta in advance
George:cool:

wiicrackpot
27-05-2012, 06:40
Psssst!!...George, forget why it's so good and just buy it, don't know if it's the same as my HR100s, how about Ceramic Balls (i think) and one piece Titanium headshell/armtube,
no connecting headshell to arm tube collar, wired straight through from cartridge tag to RCA phono cable, don't know if what i mentioned made it a super arm TBH,
but a product truly way ahead of it's time and could still sit equal with modern arms, make sure bearings are sound as no technical support now unless you get J7's legendary service. :thumbsup:

Mine's have stayed from LP12,PT Export,Roksan X20,Garrard 401 and now destined to go in my 301 project, of all that has passed through my hands,
that Alpha has stayed, is that enough endorsement, stick a vintage Supex 900e or Koetsu at the end and be happy for ever,:cool:
many modern MC's are suitable as well, just that i'm biased towards top carts of my youth.

wii.

seoirse2002
27-05-2012, 08:12
Wow,
Really looking forward to to it....I have a couple of carts that Ill try it with first, an AR P77, Shure M75 ED,and Glanz MFG and take it from there....
any other users of the alphason out there?

DKnowles
28-05-2012, 11:08
The Opal tonearm was the budget version of the Alphason Delta. I picked one up to replace a Rega rb300 and the Rega was outperformed in just about everyway. The bearings in the Opal are of a lower quality than the Delta so this is something to keep in mind, though the design and build quality is superb as you would expect from an Alphason arm. I've not had mine on my Sonata for a while as my HR100 is.. well a HR100. But the Opal gave a solid and smooth sound and is very much worth the low asking price that you tend to see them going for. I picked mine up for £75.

Specifications :

Effective length: 229mm
Mounting distance: 211mm
Overhang: 18mm
Effective mass: 13g

Marco
28-05-2012, 11:17
Hi David,

Welcome to AoS :)

Before going any further, please pop into the Welcome area, and introduce yourself to our community, telling what system you use and what music you like, as indeed you were asked to do in the email activation you received, after registering.

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

P.S
I picked one up to replace a Rega rb300 and the Rega was outperformed in just about everyway.

I'm not surprised! ;)

seoirse2002
28-05-2012, 12:38
hmmm...
Thanks for that info...so maybe I should go about taking the rega rb300 off the Michell and fitting the Alphason?....Ive been happy with the rega mounted with a glanz mfg51L cart...
think I would have a problem getting it fitted?

DSJR
28-05-2012, 14:21
I believe Johnnie at Audio Origami can work minor wonders with the Alphason arms, mainly in bearing adjustments as well as the now ubiquitous re-wires..

seoirse2002
28-05-2012, 15:21
yes, I know,he rewired/repaired my vintage 77xb arm
Hes a good guy