PDA

View Full Version : zingalis

ledzep
23-05-2012, 21:48
Has anybody heard zingali prelude 2s,what do they sound like are they any good with rock,are they good with valve amps?

walpurgis
23-05-2012, 23:38
Hi, I've heard various Zingalis and not been impressed. Geoff.

vouk
24-05-2012, 06:11
Have heard the Prelude 3 and a couple of models from their Overture range.
They should be a good match with valve equipment, even the low-powered variety, as they have high sensitivity and they are a quite easy load.
They do some things very well, courtesy I guess of their horn tweeter, but I found them lacking in the lower frequencies - bass was too wooly and detail was so-so. Definitely not the best choice for rock or equivalent genres of music.

ledzep
24-05-2012, 08:16
Cheers guys thanks for your info, yeah thats what i thought i wont bother with them

hifinutt
26-05-2012, 02:55
2 replies and you write them off ? they sounded wonderful at the scalford show -overture 3 ,only your own ears can tell

Spectral Morn
26-05-2012, 09:12
2 replies and you write them off ? they sounded wonderful at the scalford show -overture 3 ,only your own ears can tell

I agree with Phil.

They should work well with valve gear.... though not low powered single ended amplifiers.

Heard them once at a hifi show on the end of Moon electronics (I think Loud and Clear were demoing them or it might have been the distributor who is also a retailer Audio Salon/Music Room; it was quite awhile ago so I am not sure) and they sounded amazing. They were playing Safri Duo on them http://www.safriduo.dk/

I think the harder part will be getting to hear them in your own system and room; which with speakers is vital.

goraman
27-05-2012, 20:47
Zingali's don't sound stage they are near feild but the horn is always very warm sounding and easy on the ears.
The overture 15.2 are chest pounders at even low power.
both Paul Mc Cartney and Sting have a pair of them,so I am told.

My favorites are the 8.2 Overitures. very mellow and smooth with some punch with the right music and an EL84 amp brings vocals to die for.

But they will never throw a sound stage worth mentioning.
I do like them but they are not for everyone ,if vocals are key it's a perfect match .

Jason P
28-05-2012, 14:22
Just goes to show how different systems can sound. At Scalford this year the standout system for me was Myrmans' Zingali setup - Overture 3s IIRC - driven by an Emile valve integrated. Real presence, wide and deep soundstage with a truly beguiling sound. I'd have them in a trice if I had the dosh...

Lesson? Maybe synergy is everything. Listen then decide...

Spectral Morn
28-05-2012, 14:39
Just goes to show how different systems can sound. At Scalford this year the standout system for me was Myrmans' Zingali setup - Overture 3s IIRC - driven by an Emile valve integrated. Real presence, wide and deep soundstage with a truly beguiling sound. I'd have them in a trice if I had the dosh...

Lesson? Maybe synergy is everything. Listen then decide...

In all things audio this is the thing to keep in mind.

Ali Tait
28-05-2012, 14:56
Indeed. At the Owston do this past weekend, one chap had a pair of Zingali standmounts, not sure which ones, possibly overture 2?

They sounded superb on the end of various valve amps, great soundstaging and nice treble. Tight bass too. I could live with a pair.

John
28-05-2012, 17:16
For rock you want speakers that are really good mid to low its where a lot of energy is in rock music
I suggest hearing as many speakers as you can in your price range and then hearing the ones you like in your room, it takes a bit of time this way but the results will be worth it

MartinT
28-05-2012, 17:56
I evaluated a pair of the big Zingali floorstanders (Overture 4 I think) at a dealership with lots of different electronics. I really couldn't get on with them, they had a strange left/right tendency with little soundstaging no matter what I did with toe-in. Fast but lacking in potency in the lower midrange and little deep bass.

goraman
29-05-2012, 22:11
I believe the Overture series uses Vifa Drivers but I may have it wrong,

vouk
01-06-2012, 09:47
Zingali's don't sound stage they are near feild but the horn is always very warm sounding and easy on the ears.
The overture 15.2 are chest pounders at even low power.
both Paul Mc Cartney and Sting have a pair of them,so I am told.

My favorites are the 8.2 Overitures. very mellow and smooth with some punch with the right music and an EL84 amp brings vocals to die for.

But they will never throw a sound stage worth mentioning.
I do like them but they are not for everyone ,if vocals are key it's a perfect match .

The Overture series numbering went from 1-4 (two standmounts, two floorstanders) - and did use Vifa drivers. The ones you refer to above should be from their Home Monitor series - the 1.15 I believe - but those are quite expensive (18-20.000) US); not familiar with the 8.2 - unless you are referring to their Zero Otto model?
Either way, I obviously agree with the try before you buy mantra; however, the original question pertained to the Prelude series, their very entry level ones, so comparisons with the Overture series and anything above (plus at the end of top gear like Emille or Moon electronics) will not be particularly reflective.

goraman
03-06-2012, 20:48
The Overture series numbering went from 1-4 (two standmounts, two floorstanders) - and did use Vifa drivers. The ones you refer to above should be from their Home Monitor series - the 1.15 I believe - but those are quite expensive (18-20.000) US); not familiar with the 8.2 - unless you are referring to their Zero Otto model?
Either way, I obviously agree with the try before you buy mantra; however, the original question pertained to the Prelude series, their very entry level ones, so comparisons with the Overture series and anything above (plus at the end of top gear like Emille or Moon electronics) will not be particularly reflective.

I used to visit a dealer who always had a new pair Zingalli's running in on an AN UK system. So I got to hear alot of there stuff. Not sure of model names but the big dual 15's with the massive wood horn in the middle left an impression being driven by a little 2.5 watt amp.
The other one I liked was 2 8 inch driver with the horn also in the middle.
I also liked the stand mount overture 3.
The upper end seemed thin,not so much sparkle and the sound stage seemed wrong with a beaming center and a echo like off axis, it just never seemed right to me.

vouk
04-06-2012, 11:31
I used to visit a dealer who always had a new pair Zingalli's running in on an AN UK system. So I got to hear alot of there stuff. Not sure of model names but the big dual 15's with the massive wood horn in the middle left an impression being driven by a little 2.5 watt amp.
The other one I liked was 2 8 inch driver with the horn also in the middle.
I also liked the stand mount overture 3.
The upper end seemed thin,not so much sparkle and the sound stage seemed wrong with a beaming center and a echo like off axis, it just never seemed right to me.

Yeah, that was the general impression that I had as well. The Overtures that I listened to had a very silky and airy top end (but only with voices and classical) but seemed to lose out on coherence and soundstaging - were then totally off -foot, even hopeless when i spinned some hard rock. Perhaps it was the electronics (Densen at that time) - but I was really put off.
Three years ago, when searching for new speakers, I had a go at the 2.08, the 2.06 and the Florence. The 2.08 sounded really good but were a tad over budget, the 2.06 sounded good at the listening room but less so in mine (for some reason didn't get along with my electronics either) and the Florence were ultimately forgettable. In any case, to my ears and for my needs my Chario's sounded better in every respect.
Haven't heard their flagship series, but at that price they better sound good.:rolleyes: