PDA

View Full Version : Dalek Supreme D L's Main System.

Spectral Morn
08-01-2009, 16:53
Hi Guys

This is my main System in the living room. The house is Edwardian with a long living room (two rooms knocked into one). Concrete floors and high ceilings which allow me to get away with the full range Anthony Gallo Ref 3.1 Speakers (photo to follow).

The Main system is Moon Andromeda 2 box CDP, Marantz SA7 SACDP, Sme Model 20 TT with Graham Phantom b44 arm (mixture of carts. Ortofon 7500 in photo), Bat VK 10se Phono stage, Bat VK 31 se Pre-Amp, Bat VK 75 Power Amp, Nahamichi Cr 5 Tape Deck, Leak Trough Line + Ear Fm decoder, Audio Valve Rkv mk 2 +Empedance Matcher Headphone OTL Amp, MSB Link Dac (with HDCD). Cabling is a mixture of Atlas Marvos Xlr to Xlr, Rca to Rca and Speaker cable, also Audience Au24 rca to rca cables. Mains cables are Audience Au 24, Analysis Plus Power oval 2 and TCI Boa Constrictor. Tables are Clearlight audio. Isolation platforms by String Concepts and isolators by AMR and RDC.

Long shot picture of the System.

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/holidayandhifipictures228.jpg

Birds eye view of system.

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/holidayandhifipictures227.jpg

Moon Andromeda CDP with CD loading Bay drawer open.

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/holidayandhifipictures219.jpg

Balanced Audio Technology VK75 Power Amplifier.

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/holidayandhifipictures214.jpg

Marantz Sa 7 SACD Player.

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/holidayandhifipictures215.jpg

Balanced Audio VK 10 SE All valve Phono Stage with optional Step Up transformers. Top removed.

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/holidayandhifipictures216.jpg

AS above VK 10 SE , side view with top removed.

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/holidayandhifipictures218.jpg

Bat Vk 10 SE Phono Stage and Nakamichi CR 5 E Tape Deck.

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/LondonSept07Hi-FiShowandHomehi-f-2.jpg

EAR FM decoder, Audio Valve RKV mk 2 OTL Valve headphone Amp with Impedance Matcher. MSB LInk DAC mk3, very bottom Power Supply for Moon CDP

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/holidayandhifipictures221.jpg

Leak Trough Line mk 2 All Valve Fm Tuner Mono (needs EAR FM decoder to be stereo) Grado GS1000 Headphones.

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/holidayandhifipictures229.jpg

Anthony Gallo Ref 3.1 Speakers

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/LondonSept07Hi-FiShowandHomehi-fiSy.jpg

Anthony Gallo Ref 3.1 Speakers(left to right)

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/LondonSept07Hi-FiShowandHomehi-f-1.jpg

Thanks for the help everyone.

Regards D S D L----- Neil

Beechwoods
08-01-2009, 22:06
Joy! Glad you got the pictures sorted :) :) :) :) :) !

And great looking system I might add :) And it gets better... the Troughline :) :) :) ... And Pat Metheny ;)

Filterlab
08-01-2009, 22:11
Nice one Neil, and one heck of a system!

Spectral Morn
08-01-2009, 22:32
Thanks for the help. Looks like I will have to resize them as the photos are a bit stretched. Not bad for a first Go.

Regards D S D L----- Neil :):):):):):):):)

Beechwoods
08-01-2009, 22:35
They look OK to me! Not bad at all for a first go :) I expect all your threads to be illustrated from now on!

Marco
08-01-2009, 22:42
Excellent stuff, Neil - and a very nice system, lots of attention to detail in terms of high quality valves (love the big Russian ones in your B.A.T VK75), and Jensen caps, etc, I see there too! :)

Our Gallery here is the best I've seen of members' system pictures on any forum. It's becoming quite an asset to us :cool:

Marco.

Spectral Morn
08-01-2009, 22:45
No Problem Nick,now we are cooking with Gas.:gig:

Regards D S D L ---- Neil :)

Spectral Morn
08-01-2009, 22:51
Hi Marco

I will give you a call some other time. I wanted to get this done, new skill and all. I know its pretty easy if you know what you are doing, but for me this is quite an achievement.

Yes, I try to pay attention to the details as thats how a system is made or fails. I learned that a long time ago. When I was still new to audio the Pro-Ac Super Tablet was a very hard Mistress, so fussy about positioning. A mm out, or not quite level, or not positioned symmetrically relative to the walls, and it all fell apart. I apply that rule to all my system set ups. Its the early lessons and discoveries which carry you on and help you to keep an open mind, and pay attention to all the little factors.
Every element, no matter how small goes to building the overall system performance.

Regards D S D L----- Neil :)

Filterlab
08-01-2009, 22:54
...The Pro-Ac Super Tablet was so fussy about positioning a mm out or not quite level or positioned symmetrically relative to the walls and it all fell apart....

That's how the Revels are. But when they're in the right position, boy oh boy does it pay dividends!

The devil's in the detail.

Marco
08-01-2009, 22:57
No worries, Neil. I look forward to it - we can certainly get through much more stuff on the phone than both of us will by getting repetitive strain injury from endless rat-a-tat-tat typing on here :)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
08-01-2009, 22:59
Yes the Anthony Gallo's are the same (the speakers I use with the system pictured ). I will post a picture of them tomorrow.

Regards D S D L---- Neil :)

Filterlab
08-01-2009, 23:34
Lovely job, they're rather off the wall if I remember correctly.

Spectral Morn
08-01-2009, 23:38
Hi Keith

Thanks for the info. Yes the MSB is the mk 3 Link Dac with the upsampling board and HDCD board. I also have the Power Supply 2000 for it as well. Very plain in the looks department but stunning sound and when it came out quite a long time ago(I got this one S/H from Jack Lawson at the Audio Salon) it redefined what was possible at its price. I use it especially for its HDCD decoding capabilities (All the King Crimson reissue CD's are HDCD ), which is what I mainly use it for and Digital Radio of a Sky box.

John
09-01-2009, 05:40
Nice system Neil
Are you using the TT theses days

MartinT
09-01-2009, 06:22
I got this one S/H from Jack Lawson at the Audio Salon

I bought my Ayre disc player from him. What a very nice man he is, saw my deal through from start to finish and called me several times to ensure I had received it, set it up correctly etc.

Spectral Morn
09-01-2009, 09:23
Hi guys

Yes John, I am using my TT these days, I have embarked on a process of Cartridge and Phono stage evaluation. I changed the Van den Hul frog Gold to an Ortofon Mc 7500 Cart (I got it with the Sme TT as part of the deal so essentially FOC, along with a Chord Coral Phono stage). Its quite old, having been bought back in 1997. I checked it under a Magnifying Glass and it looks okay. This was highly rated in its day, so I will have a listen today. I then want to revisit my Lyra Clavis mk1, Ortofon Mc2000 mk2 and a VDH MC10. The Pass Labs XONO will also get a good listen again and the Chord. I feel I have neglected this side of things a bit and I need to just check that the Bat is best in the main set up or might be better upstairs or one of the other carts may be a better match in the main set up. We shall see.

Hi Martin Yes I found Jack to be very good during this trade to trade transaction(bought from him when I was still in the hi-fi trade a few years ago). Quick and clean, with no issues. The MSB Link Dac is a very good product especially now as S/H it can be got for around about £300 ish.

Regards D S D L----- Neil :)

Mike
09-01-2009, 11:49
(love the big Russian ones in your B.A.T VK75

They look like 6C33 'Trawler Valves'..... or 'MIG Valves' if you prefer. :)

Marco
09-01-2009, 11:51
They're Russian 'trawler' (or yes, as you say 'MIG') valves Mikey, as are also used in the Almarro SET amp - awesome things :)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
09-01-2009, 13:14
Hi Guys

Yes the Bat Power valves are indeed the 6c33's. These had many uses, and were a Russian new production valve during the later part of the Cold war(late 50's early 60's, I believe). They were used in the guidance systems of a number of MIG Fighters and Fighter Bombers. The Russian pilot who defected to Japan in A MIG Fox Bat(or was it a Back fire, I can't remember which)in the late 70's/early 80's. His plane used these in the avionics. It was the presence of these which so amused the Americans(that the poor Russians were still using Tubes). However, If a Nuke had been air-burst over a battle field the American Jets would have all crashed as their avionics would have been fried( due to EMP) and the Russian Jets would still be flying. Tubes/Valves aren't quite so Antique Now, MR America.

Russian Trawler Radio sets(Spy Ships) used these(6c33) too.

Its my understanding that the CEO of Balanced Audio Technology ( he comes from Russia)was the first to bring these valves to Audio in the West, as well as the 6h30p Super Tube (another Russian cold War valve). BAT have used both these valves in nearly all of their products, since the beginning of the company back in the early80's

I must say that I love the sound of 6c33 valves (like across between a 845 and a 6a3/2A3 ). I also like the 6h30p sound too.

Quite a few companies now use these tubes (I guess Bat no longer have an exclusive on them), which is a great thing IMO
Ancient Audio (of Poland), Opera Audio(of China), Almarro(of Japan) and others.

Spectral Morn
09-01-2009, 17:33
Hi Guys

More Photos in the Post now, Anthony Gallo Speakers and Nakamichi tape deck.

Beechwoods
09-01-2009, 20:22
lol Neil it looks like the Nak's your only bit of solid state kit :) The CR5e is a nice deck; from Nakamichi's years before the bean counters moved in and started cutting costs ;)

I must admit that I've always wanted the 5e's bigger bother, the 7e... with it's playback azimuth control it was one of Nakamichi's top 3 decks.

Spectral Morn
09-01-2009, 22:31
Hi Nick

Yes the Nak CR5e is a very good tape deck. At the time I could not stretch to the CR7e, most of the reviews at the time said that CR7e was only a little bit better. Not having ever compared them I can't say if this is right or not. I suspect not, the extra set up potential of the CR7e should give it an advantage in recording and playback. Anyway I comforted myself with this right or wrong review, and was happy. I too would love a CR7e or a Dragon, but as it is manual the auto adjust of the CR7e makes it a much better machine. I know someone who has a CR7e but he wont sell it, even though he doesn't use it very much,oh well, someday maybe.

Yes most of my kit is valve, with the exception of the Moon and Marantz players. I have been a glowing glass enthusiast for most of my 20 odd years as an Audio enthusiast. The sound of valves seduced me early on, in fact my first amp was a Rotel 820a and my second an Audio Innovations series 300. the rest is history and all has valves in it somewhere.

Regards D S D l---- Neil :)

Beechwoods
09-01-2009, 23:05
If a tape has been properly recorded - or is factory duplicated - you shouldn't need the benefits of the azimuth control, but if you like to play back tapes recorded on other machines, that's when it really has it's benefits. I have hundreds of tapes recorded on old kit, and I borrow tapes when I can if they're special (radio etc, you know the kind of stuff I collect!) so the tunable azimuth control in that instance are the keys to kingdom :)

What I will say though is that the classic Nakamichi tape transport does away with a lot of the variables that cause poor playback of tapes from different recorders. So the decks like yours and mine that don't have playback azimuth control handle tape in a way that minimises the problems you get from tapes recorded on other machines. The pressure pad lifter in particular removes the variable of tolerances in cassette-shell manufacturing and gives the tape a far more reliable path to follow over the heads. The double capstans while not unique to the Nak by any stretch also help to give the best control of the tape across the heads. I swear that it's this that I hear when I play tapes on my ZX-7 and they sound so damn solid, crisp, and stable. Good tapes sound like CD, with or without Dolby NR. The heads may also have something to do with it, mind ;)

It's been a while since we had a discussion about tape here on AOS. I'm getting all misty eyed :)

Marco
09-01-2009, 23:16
Good tapes sound like CD, with or without Dolby NR...

Wash out thy mouth, you should know better, my boy... Good tapes sound nothing like CD - they are far superior (on good tape deck)!

Now, I don't want to see any more of this deviant behaviour. Is that understood? ;)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
09-01-2009, 23:21
Hi Nick

Yes I agree (not the tapes sounding like CD bit), the stability and focus of tapes played back on the Nak are amazing. I find that even recordings made on(normal Type 1 EQ120. TDK in the main AD) sound excellent. Chrome and Metal are better, but the results on TDK AD is very nice(better than Mini Disc etc) IMHO. While on Holiday in Scotland Dundee I managed to buy a stack of TDK SA 90 Tapes (NOS).:gig:

The shop a S/h Vinyl and CD shop had no more when I went back in late Aug last year Groucho's:( Nice shop, boxes and boxes of Vinyl and rack after rack of cd's. I love shops like this an endangered species.

A friend gave me a box of TDK metal and chrome recently, great guy:)

Beechwoods
09-01-2009, 23:33
I still have some sealed Maxell XLII-S I bought when they were still available on the highstreet, but rarely record stuff now, just playback. Old limited edition tape, some of the high-end Metal ones, are collectors items now, claiming silly money sometimes :)

We've got a place called 'The Cassette Shop' in Bristol. It used to sell all the best tapes, now it's more video tapes, and radios. I'm not sure that he sells any compact cassette tapes these days.

Classic old-school though, like shops used to be!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3057/2672005056_58dc99ab8a.jpg

Marco
09-01-2009, 23:49
That's a cool shop, Beechy - classic 'old school' just like you say. I wish there were more like that still around! :(

A lot of the romance has gone out of hi-fi since its heyday (I would suggest) in the 70s and 80s…

Guys, I only use NOS cassette tapes with my CR7. My favourite is 1980s TDK SA 90. New stock tapes, even if you can find them now in shops, sound nothing like NOS (just like as it is with valves). I generally buy them from the States on Ebay. Here are some I've bought recently:

1987 TDK SA 90:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350116932909&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:US:1123

BASF Chromedioxid Maxima II:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350116931831&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:US:1123

Maxell XL-II 90:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350116932316&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:US:1123

If you click on "Seller's other items", you'll see that he has an on-line shop full of various sealed NOS cassette tapes.

I've stockpiled about 50 of different kinds now and use them mainly for making tapes up for the car from my system at home - the quality of the recordings I get with them are fabulous :)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
09-01-2009, 23:51
Hi Nick

The Buggles got it wrong, video didn't kill the Radio Star, but Digital has killed the way shops used to be. In fact is killing them DEAD.:(

Sad Days, Zavvi have closed 27 shops, who's next ?

Regards D S D L---- Neil

Spectral Morn
09-01-2009, 23:58
Hi Marco and Nick.

Yes the Maxell and Basf you list are good, I have some un used kicking around but I always went for TDK :gig:

I always felt they were better. I found the sound to be more even through out the frequencies.

Regards D S D L---- Neil

Ps I have a number of Photos I took at the 2006 and 2007 London hi-fi shows (Sept). They were to be part of Show reports for the website the shop I used to work for but they never saw the light of day. Would you guys like to see them ? (the good ones )

Marco
10-01-2009, 00:00
The Buggles got it wrong, video didn't kill the Radio Star, but Digital has killed the way shops used to be. In fact is killing them DEAD.

Sad Days, Zavvi have closed 27 shops, who's next ?

Indeed. Since music became a disposable commodity (computer downloaded files) it's been downhill since then, not necessarily in a hi-fi sense, but as far as the music buying experience itself being special like how it used to be - especially the really cool shops that used to exist both of a hi-fi and music nature. That's what I've got most against computer audio: the sheer lack of tactility or 'human' experience.

It’s sad days indeed, as far as that aspect of a genuine audio/music enthusiast's life is concerned. I'm not sure that the all-out digi-boys 'get' this at all, or if they do they don't consider it important or relevant :(

Traditional second-hand record shops are all we've got left now for that 'nostalgia hit', and even they're getting very thin on the ground...

Marco.

Spectral Morn
10-01-2009, 00:07
Hi Marco

Yes I agree(picture the scene Monty Python style sketch), Young People today just don't know anything, do they. In my day you went down the street, into a real shop, talked with real people and left with a small/large bag and a smile on your face. Now days they have nothing but ones and zeros, no bag and no smile on their face.

Con't ;)

Marco
10-01-2009, 00:10
Indeed. Even Dr Who's not as good as used to be! ;)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
10-01-2009, 00:15
Marco

Yes all style and no substance. However with such crap story lines, poor dialogue, lack of plot or development, the Doctor still manages to beat us. Its a stitch up.

regards D S D L----Neil :)

Marco
10-01-2009, 00:35
All style and no substance indeed. I loved it in its heyday with Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker from 1970 to 1981 - that period will never be equalled.

Basically, I loved Dr Who when it was creepy and macabre and storylines were generally set on dark and forboding planets where the atmosphere was distinctly sinister. I didn't watch Dr Who to get a laugh or to see soppy love scenes! The music accompanying the series then by the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, including the theme tune was fantastic.

Episodes such as 'The Robots of Death', 'The Arc in Space', 'Robot', 'The Brain of Morbius', 'Spearhead from Space' (the one with the shop dummies which had guns built into their wrists - do you remember that?) are amongst my favourites, as well as of course anything with Cybermen, Sea Monsters, and of course Daleks in it!!

I'm a fan of all 60s, 70s and 80s sci-fi: Space 1999, UFO, Joe 90, Fireball XL5, Lost in Space, Thunderbirds, Blakes 7, the original Star Trek series - all that stuff was fabulous :)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
10-01-2009, 00:49
Marco

We have a lot in common. Yes the only time Doctor Who scared me was the Autons. Every shop window I passed as a small child, I was waiting for the hand to flip down(on the shop dummies) a gun come out and bang smashed windows and dead everywhere. I am very much a John Pertwee man. Loved everything he did. Tom Baker was good too, but when John Nathan turner took over as producer it became a joke that got worse and worse. There are good stories during the later times but they were played for laughs mostly with crap monsters and no real threat.

Growing up in the 60's more 70's I fondly remember many great sci-fi shows. As you say Original Star Trek,Space 1999, Ufo, TimeSlip, Children of the Stones, The invaders, Fantastic Journey, Blake's 7, Sapphire and Steel(weird and scary), The Outer limits, Twilight Zone etc. All quality stuff.

Its at times like this I feel my age a bit.

Its a real shame the BBC lost/destroyed many of the Hartnel, Troughton, Dr Who stories. I never saw them as a kid and have only seen what has survived. so many good stories have been lost :(

Regards D S D L----Neil :)

Ali Tait
10-01-2009, 20:04
I'm a big sci-fi fan too.One series I liked was Babylon 5.Great storylines IMHO.

anthonyTD
10-01-2009, 20:14
congrats on the system neil, very nice.:smoking:
anthony...

Arlequen
11-01-2009, 13:56
Hello Dalek

I like alot your SME20 with the Graham .. surely better than my old SME20/2A with that "no-airy" SME V

DSJR
11-01-2009, 14:16
All style and no substance indeed. I loved it in its heyday with Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker from 1970 to 1981 - that period will never be equalled.

Basically, I loved Dr Who when it was creepy and macabre and storylines were generally set on dark and forboding planets where the atmosphere was distinctly sinister. I didn't watch Dr Who to get a laugh or to see soppy love scenes! The music accompanying the series then by the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, including the theme tune was fantastic.

Episodes such as 'The Robots of Death', 'The Arc in Space', 'Robot', 'The Brain of Morbius', 'Spearhead from Space' (the one with the shop dummies which had guns built into their wrists - do you remember that?) are amongst my favourites, as well as of course anything with Cybermen, Sea Monsters, and of course Daleks in it!!

I'm a fan of all 60s, 70s and 80s sci-fi: Space 1999, UFO, Joe 90, Fireball XL5, Lost in Space, Thunderbirds, Blakes 7, the original Star Trek series - all that stuff was fabulous :)

Marco.

"Please don't throw hands at me!"

You lot are children I tell you. Better off than I, but still children.

You want to watch Masterplan, Power and Evil (of the Daleks) from the sixties - brilliant stories and the surviving Masterplan Episode 4 still scares me to death as it did when I first watched it in 1965/6.

This is a problem today, when everything is so fast and details are delivered on a plate, rather than keeping suspense and allowing one's imagination to take over - come back UFO (my son and I have been watching our DVD's of this excellent series).

My favourite Doctor - HAS to be Patrick Troughton I think, but it's a close call between the first three.

Not really about audio is it, but who cares "hmmm?" :lolsign:

Marco
11-01-2009, 14:42
This is a problem today, when everything is so fast and details are delivered on a plate, rather than keeping suspense and allowing one's imagination to take over...

That is *SO* true, Dave! It's the same with about 90% of TV now, particularly 'Blockbuster' films. Special effects have in general eroded good acting and story lines, certainly compared to how it once was.

I'm afraid it's just part of the general 'malaise' that is endemic in society today where so much is 'delivered on a plate' with little if any thought or effort required by the individual. It applies to many things in life, hi-fi and music included! Everything is a disposable commodity with little of anything truly valued.

And we wonder why we're breeding a generation of 'morons'..........!!

Best not get me started on this one ;)

Marco.

Mike
11-01-2009, 14:46
Oh give it a rest Marco, you're starting to sound like a right old fart! :lolsign:

Marco
11-01-2009, 14:48
I'll say what ever I feel passionate about, Mike! :)

If you don't like it, don't read it ;)

Marco.

Mike
11-01-2009, 14:58
But I do like it!...

Especially when you sound like an old fart! :ner:

Marco
11-01-2009, 15:00
Hehe... I'm anything like an old fart as you well know - I just have "old fart" values ;)

Marco.

Mike
11-01-2009, 15:08
You should don a flat cap and hold a large black pudding while saying (in a broad Yorkshire accent) stuff like:

"Eee t'yuth er today, thea don't know thea born like, wen I wer a young un wea used't play int road wi nowt but t'stick n ball..." etc etc... :lol:

Marco
11-01-2009, 15:12
Sounds like you could teach me that! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Mike
11-01-2009, 15:22
Probably could if I wound the clock back a few decades. Was born a Yorkshireman after all! :)

Anyway... enough piss talking and back to soldering.

Laterz.

Spectral Morn
11-01-2009, 15:45
A few more Pictures of my Main System, with some different kit. Main items different. Amplification Music Reference RM 200 MK 1 KT 66 Valve Amp (Solid State input stage, 100 Watts Fully Balanced Design). Oracle Delphi MK 4 with SME 5 Arm and Lyra Clavis Cart. Cabling at this time was all Audience AU24 except the speaker cable which was QED Genesis(a bargain at £30 per m IMHO).
All the connections on the Music reference RM 200 are flat on the back plate, thus all the cabling sits up at the back(behind the transformer cover). Speaker Connections are normally high purity Copper suitable for spades alone. This example had Eickman silver Bullet binding posts(modification done by previous owner).

Oracle and RM 200 amplifier used in upstairs system now, but I do swap kit between the two rooms. The RM 200 is a fabulous amp but lacks a wee bit of the quality of the Bat VK 75 (this amp suits the Anthony Gallo Speakers better than the RM 200. However not by much, both combinations are excellent)

Oracle Delphi MK 4 + SME 5 Arm and Lyra Clavis Cartridge

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/LondonSept07Hi-FiShowandHomehi-f-3.jpg

Photo of system from above.

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/LondonSept07Hi-FiShowandHomehi-f-5.jpg

Music Reference RM 200 MK 1 Amplifier, Fully Balanced Design

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/LondonSept07Hi-FiShowandHomehi-f-7.jpg

Photo of System with Bat VK 31 SE Pre-Amplifier, Uses 4 6h30p Super Tubes fully Balanced Design.

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/LondonSept07Hi-FiShowandHomehi-f-8.jpg

Music Reference RM 200 Front view. AMR Isolator being used as Damper for Transformer Cage

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/LondonSept07Hi-FiShowandHomehi-f-6.jpg

Oracle Delphi MK 4 Turntable at play Thomas Dolby-Aliens ate my Buick

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/LondonSept07Hi-FiShowandHomehi-f-4.jpg

Regards D S D L--- Neil :)

Primalsea
11-01-2009, 15:54
Nice one Neil, Have you multiple personalities? looks like each one has it's own system by all that stuff you have.

Spectral Morn
11-01-2009, 16:09
Hi

No its just a product of 20 years of buying and not selling(old kit). I do like to play around with kit and I have been known to move amps, TT's between my two listening rooms. The Music Ref amplifier is what I swapped my Sony Scd 777 for. Its a brilliant amp but my Bat VK75 sounds slightly better with my Gallo Speakers, so the RM 200 is now upstairs.

I think Marco would like Roger A Modjeski's approach to audio, no BS. Hes a crafts person who has a no compromise attitude and is also very honest about the kind of things that both Marco and I don't like about the normal way things are done in the Audio world.

His website is worth a look. He will not supply to the Europe Market via distributors, dealers but will, as one off orders to an individual. He feels the ROHS and many/not all of the CE rules will compromise the sound of his designs to much. So he wont do it. This is a pity but the changes Europe demands may well ruin how his stuff sounds.

http://www.ramlabs-musicreference.com/

I will put some pictures of upstairs set up soon in this thread.

Marco
11-01-2009, 16:18
I think Marco would like Roger approach to audio. No BS. Hes a crafts person who has a no compromise attitude and is also very honest about the kind of things that both Marco and I don't like about the normal way things are done.

Hi Neil,

Sounds like just my kind of guy! :)

I respect genuine artisans - people who think outside of the box in their chosen field, where quality in all aspects of design comes first and foremost and where fastidious attention to detail in everything is of paramount importance.

You can get that surprisingly affordably with equipment if you know where to look! It's simply down to the goals and mindset of the designer and how much he needs to earn a living from his designs and/or that of the distributor or retailer. In terms of ultimate SPPV, the latter is crucial. The trick is to find passionate and talented manufacturers or designers (and dealers, too) who earn their main living outside of or in other areas of hi-fi, and so do it out of love more than money. Therefore, absolute profitability is not the main driving force behind their business.

And where to look for that is most certainly not in the high street or necessarily at your local 'hi-end' dealership...

Marco.

Spectral Morn
11-01-2009, 16:57
Yes Roger's type is a rare thing these days in any area of life. You should go to the link and read all about him Ram Labs and Music Reference and his history in Audio. Very interesting read IMHO.

Regards D S D L--- Neil :)

muffinman
14-01-2009, 16:50
Hi Neil,
judging by your kit i'm guessing you've had many a pair of 'speakers in your time. If this is the case could you possibly tell me what it was that made you choose the Gallos. Are they keepers or do you, respectfully, operate a revolving door system with some kit. I've never heard them and am interested in hearing your views on them and how they are better than your previous 'speakers.

Gareth

Spectral Morn
14-01-2009, 18:19
My single biggest problem is most things are keepers for me. Hence two systems (not strictly true both offer slightly different sounds, but are in many ways cut from similar cloth).

The Gallos (mk2, technically there is no mk2 just a .1). These are the most coherent, open, detailed, full range speaker that I have ever owned. The main room has usually dictated that I could only use two way speakers(limited bass so no bass boom). The room is quite shallow so ported speakers, even those with front ports could boom in the bass. The Gallo's don't as they are sealed and the side firing bass unit gives the low frequencies space to develop without being overly heavy or boomy. However I have tried a few other side firing speakers and they have not worked...go figure ? The Gallo's because there is no cabinet have no colourations that are found in most traditional box speakers. In fact I struggle now to listen to most of these, as I can hear the cabinet boxy quality. Of course not all box speakers are like this but to my ear even they don't now sound box colouration free. I had a friend round yesterday who is a big fan of classic min monitors and Electrostatics. He had never heard the Gallo's before and he was amazed. In his words "these are the missing link between Box and Electrostatic. Neil I don't think you realize just how special these are." The whole system plays its part but the Gallos are IMHO very special and I will be keeping them.

To be honest I have reached the end of whats possible in this listening room(as I have also in the upstairs room to) so bar a bit of tweeking thats it for now. The fact I am presently out of work has put the breaks on this to. I worked in the Hi-fi trade. I like collecting stuff, its in my genes for some reason. Working in the trade was probably not a good idea from this point of view. I suppose if I were a woman ,and I worked in a shoe shop I would be an Amelda markos type. I am not addicted to buying audio. For me its been a quest and I have for now reached the end. The number of bits I have sold or swapped over the years has been small (I still have the bits that made up my first proper system ). Biggest mistakes Marantz Sa11 (mechanism to loud), I sit beside my gear so it must be nearly silent, T+A v10(great amp but fan cooled so I could hear it)., Pathos Logos (bass heavy and outperformed by its smaller brother The Classic one mk2),Bat VK55(great but not enough power for the Gallos.Swapped with a friend for the VK75. The VK55 suits his speakers better. He thought the VK55 was better in his system and vica versa for me with the VK75...Swap done.)... and thats about it. Last time I was out of work 1995 I sold an Eminent Technology ET2 linear tracking air bearing arm...I regret this to this day:doh:it was fantastic on my Oracle. I made an arm board for it and well....pure MAGIC. This time I don't intend to sell anything unless the Wolf is sitting on my chest and eating my guts. This shouldn't happen though....please Lord. Good kits hard to come by, and its to easy to part with, and not ever get back again.

Sorry about the ramble.....

muffinman
14-01-2009, 19:23
Ta for the insight.
i've had plenty of kit that i wish i could hear again in my current setup. nothing like the high order of items you possess but i still wonder sometimes.
i used to have a cracking little (mega budget) system which was acoustically killed by a house move - the bass became a incoherent mire:(
i managed to get a set of cyrus icons which were good upto a point, i felt midrange and treble was great but bass was flabby at times and nowhere near a representation of their cost.
from that point on i just got lucky with my 'speaker choices and ended up with the WD25t because i trust the brand and thought i'd give them a go.
As you know they're enclosed, so bass is tight. they are very good speakers but, after owning the icons i know theres better type of sound out there for me
i don't know where or when i'll get a chance to hear the galos but i look forward to doing so.

Spectral Morn
14-01-2009, 20:02
I've had plenty of kit that i wish i could hear again in my current setup. nothing like the high order of items you possess but i still wonder sometimes.

Yes its nice to be able to do that, sometimes the surprise is the thing that didn't work, in one set up now does.:doh:

i used to have a cracking little (mega budget) system which was acoustically killed by a house move - the bass became a incoherent mire

Yes I have been there in, so much that it worked elsewhere and would not work in my listening rooms. But should have. Rooms are the evil that tends to be forgotten by most. It will make or break you. When I lived in my parents house I has a system that punched way above its weight. I had managed to tune the system and room to work almost like a musical instrument. When I got married and moved here. A similar room would not work, I was heart broken and until I got back into the audio trade 6 years ago I was really not able to do much about it. So I took off like a rocket and have banged away at it and just finished before I lost my Job in late Aug last year. The last bit was the Atlas Marvos speaker cables and interconnects, which I got just under the wire and no more.

I am very happy now. Pity I lost my Job...

Spectral Morn
15-04-2009, 14:37
Hi Guys

I know some like to see the insides of kit, so as I had to change a valve in my BAT VK31SE Pre-amplifier today I decided to take some photos for those who might like a peek under the bonnet.

The Pre is the SE version which includes the famous Super Pack two banks of capacitors at the front of the unit,one layer above another (bear in mind this is a fully dual differential design so two separate L and R sides.) The valves are Sovtek 6h30p Super Tubes, 4 in this unit.

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/batpre31se005.jpg

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/batpre31se001.jpg

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/batpre31se002.jpg

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/batpre31se003.jpg

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/batpre31se004.jpg

Regards D S D L

DSJR
15-04-2009, 15:09
Now, REAL MAN'S pre-amps should look like this.....[edit - comment is not serious...:)]

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/Croft4PPrecap1.jpg

Don't let the crudeness put you off. With the replacement 5841a's I've just got for the line-stage, this thing is swingin' man, better than it's ever done. Now I know why my original one was so good, as it had similar line valves - the Mullard ECC82's sounded too thick and squidgy..

P.S. On Glenn's advice, the inductor near the mains transformer has been carefully removed and the wires soldered and heat-shrinked across). the original pots look like something nasty, but I suspect Glenn took their characteristics into account when the circuit was put together.

Spectral Morn
15-04-2009, 15:59
Looks like a fairly elderly Micro. May well be good, but as I recall Micro's were some what flaky (not to mention rather microphonic ) to say the least. Twenty years ago our service engineer had to rebuild his so many times frankly it was no longer a Croft when he had finished.

Please note I am not talking here about Glen's newer work/designs, just the Micro which Dave's photo looks like.

Real men's pre-amps are frankly what ever sounds best in ones system.

D S D L

DSJR
15-04-2009, 17:59
Agreed. The above of mine is a series IV "PP" model, with a "proper" line stage, unlike the standard Micro's I believe... The first one I had ran for several years with no probs at all, but was stolen (identified by having ALL gold phono sockets whereas the others only had gold phono's on the phono and output sockets (I bodged mine to have the CD and tuner sockets gold and with separate earth returns (made beggar all difference). The only other thing is that it may reverse the absolute phase of the signal and the Spendors are sensitive to this it seems.

My other, better made preamp which I also love -

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/AVIPre1.jpg

Marco
15-04-2009, 18:35
Looks like a serious bit of kit, Neil! :smoking:

Croft designs have always been a bastion of simplicity, using the shortest signal paths possible and high quality components, but that doesn't automatically guarantee greatness.

Dave, I'll see if I can post some pics later of the inside of my modified Charisma X - it looks rather different to your Micro! ;)

Incidentally, high quality stepped attenuators are the way to go. I've recently upgraded my Alps Black to one of these Glasshouse Takman metal film units with superb results:

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/cata...or-p-4926.html

Review by Neville Roberts (makes interesting reading):

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/pdf/...al_stepped.pdf

The sonic upgrade was frankly massive!!

Now all I need to do is convince Glenn to abandon his beloved carbon pots! :scratch: :eyebrows:

Marco.

DSJR
15-04-2009, 18:50
Instead of us hi-jacking DL's system thread, perhaps you could post some internal pics on another thread (and move mine there too ;)).

Marco
15-04-2009, 18:52
Good idea! :)

Marco.

DSJR
15-04-2009, 19:14
By the way DL, I honestly wasn't being disrespectful to your excellent system, it looks amazing and someone else I know has the Gallo speakers (I've been winding him up about how much better big active ATC's are :lol:) and he rates them very highly indeed. I don't think they're that expensive either (around £2 - 3K the pair?) are they?

Those days of expensive audio gear are way behind me now and I really ought to start selling a few things off to raise some funds. I hate being out of full time work too and even if I can get some more paid hours, it'll be some years before I can even think of earning a semi-decent living again. Good job we don't have expensive tastes or crave holidays now we live at the seaside.

Mike Reed
15-04-2009, 21:13
Have just caught up with your piccies etc.,NEIL. Quite an amazing collection of diverse kit, but I was especially taken with the two top-class t/ts and a collection of high-end (albeit not current) carts.

I had the Clavis d.c. before the Helikon, so I am familiar with that one.

Even in my dotage (as you may in fact be), I still can't quite justify all those 'spare' carts. although at least you can use two at once, I suppose.

Have often thought that someone with a vast experience of m.c. carts., and there ARE such people out there on the forums, should anotate the subtle differences, or pros and cons, between them.

Something fascinating about good carts., or is it just me?

Spectral Morn
15-04-2009, 22:42
Have just caught up with your piccies etc.,NEIL. Quite an amazing collection of diverse kit, but I was especially taken with the two top-class t/ts and a collection of high-end (albeit not current) carts.

I had the Clavis d.c. before the Helikon, so I am familiar with that one.

Even in my dotage (as you may in fact be), I still can't quite justify all those 'spare' carts. although at least you can use two at once, I suppose.

Have often thought that someone with a vast experience of m.c. carts., and there ARE such people out there on the forums, should anotate the subtle differences, or pros and cons, between them.

Something fascinating about good carts., or is it just me?

Hi Mike

Before loosing my job (which allowed this problem ? :lol:) I indulged my tendency to being a collector...my wife says hoarder. I collect all sorts of things not just bits of audio kit. I view my kit as an ends to a means i.e. to get me closer to the music. I have slightly different ways of getting there with what I have. Being honest some of the kit I have is about nostalgia and not used very much anymore...but I just can't bring myself to part with it. I may well end up having to do this....if I can't get a job.

I agree with you about the carts. I like the older ones I have and the VDH Frog Gold I bought last year, but the big surprise is the S/H Ortofon 7500 I picked up some time ago...its not knackered as I thought (it came with the SME model 20) and had proved to be very good indeed and changed my thoughts about some Otofon MC carts.

The Oracle was and remains my first TT love, but space restrictions (the Turbo power supply is very big) keep it in the upstairs system at the present time.

Thanks for the interest.

Regards D S D L

Spectral Morn
15-04-2009, 22:59
By the way DL, I honestly wasn't being disrespectful to your excellent system, it looks amazing and someone else I know has the Gallo speakers (I've been winding him up about how much better big active ATC's are :lol:) and he rates them very highly indeed. I don't think they're that expensive either (around £2 - 3K the pair?) are they?

Those days of expensive audio gear are way behind me now and I really ought to start selling a few things off to raise some funds. I hate being out of full time work too and even if I can get some more paid hours, it'll be some years before I can even think of earning a semi-decent living again. Good job we don't have expensive tastes or crave holidays now we live at the seaside.

Hi Dave

Sadly the Gallo's are no more as Anthony Gallo have discontinued them and the new version will be twice the price ( £5000 instead of £2500 ). These speakers while fairly expensive are/were in my view the biggest bargain in speakers in years. They really do need to be compared to speakers twice the price and more to reveal what they don't do right. They are the best choice for my room and system and were a miracle find. I had tried lots of speakers and my awkward room wrecked my choices....until these came along. I hate to think what the new 3.5's will be like but at £5000 are out of the reach of most...including me.

I understand the position you are in. I don't have children and we live in a modest house. As I had been out of work before, my wife and I always based what we did on one wage i.e. hers. Not having a job is crap and this time round harder than before in terms of me realistically being able to find a new one....I am trying and its bloody impossible at the minute. I am either to old or have the wrong type of experience for sales jobs (as I used to be a manager). And a few companies who shall remain nameless offered well below minimum wage...this was early on in the process (last year). I tried to negotiate better terms and was dropped before starting. Nothing in writing so I can't prove the law was broken.

I do have some expensive tastes, mainly audio, but I have really finished now...my room would make anything else a waste of money. The glass ceiling for me is the room. Next upgrade move house...but when ? Holidays, flashy house, car clothes etc are not what I am about or my wife. For holidays we go to Scotland....I want to live there but my wife does not want to move so holidays have to do instead.

Regards D S D L

DSJR
16-04-2009, 09:56
From what you've said regarding the Gallo's, they were un-profitable at £2500. I suspect the frames and "casework" are expensive to fabricate, as are the simpler Beolab 8000' which cost about the same yet have very inexpensive drivers and a load of electronic wizardry (cheap to implement though) to stop them from frying... Hope you understand my simile, as yours have FAR more expensive drivers, yet need to be properly finished for the styling to work.

hifi_dave
16-04-2009, 10:04
Neil,
Fantastic Pics. :)

DSJR,
Better luck next time. :ner:

All the best,
David

Spectral Morn
16-04-2009, 10:07
From what you've said regarding the Gallo's, they were un-profitable at £2500. I suspect the frames and "casework" are expensive to fabricate, as are the simpler Beolab 8000' which cost about the same yet have very inexpensive drivers and a load of electronic wizardry (cheap to implement though) to stop them from frying... Hope you understand my simile, as yours have FAR more expensive drivers, yet need to be properly finished for the styling to work.

Yes you are partly right. The main problem was fit and finish quite a lot of wastage in regard to cosmetics. Gallo opted for far east for the metal work fabrication and they were let down on way to many units. They have had to opt now for full USA production hence the huge jump in cost. This cost has not been helped by current material hikes and other factors. So a bargain vanishes :(

Anthony Gallo took the opportunity to redesign certain aspects. I must say the new version isn't as nice looking to my eyes.

This link explains about the new design and why http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/gallo09/opt.html

Regards D S D L

Spectral Morn
22-05-2009, 12:45
Hi guys

Its funny how the arrival of a new bit of kit can start a chain reaction of events which lead to a change in set up or in this case layout.

The arrival of a new to me Leak Trough-Line stereo FM tuner a few weeks ago led to a realization that if I wanted to use it with perhaps one other of the tuners as well I would have to clear some item of the book case I use. This thought set of others and before long I had a plan to use up some wall shelf supports I had in a drawer, to fill the gap between my existing Italian AMC CD storage units (which are not available any more). So I went to B&Q to get some black ash conti board to make the shelves from to go with the supports I had, and............:doh:, they don't make black ash any more :( any colour you like bar black.

Not sure what to do I took a drive over to IKEA which is near by. I am/was an IKEA virgin, what a walk to get around it all :doh::steam:anyway I saw a couple of units that might do a Billy CD rack at £15...bargain,Leksvik CD rack £40 and the Bertby CD wall shelf. After taking measurements and seeing whether any could be made/adapted to hang on a wall I came to the conclusion that only the Bertby would be suitable...but I would have to loose the glass door (at least half the cost I think :doh::()

The unit stores 290 CD's happy days, and goes together quite well. The problem with flat back items, that are made from MDF, is they can split when you put them together...so wood glue was kept close to hand, just in case ! Apart from a slight splitting at the top inside edge which was sorted easily it all went together and looked the part. Mounting it on the wall is done with a plate which screws to the wall and the unit rests on and a right angled item which screws to the top of the rack and the wall.

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/LeakTroughlineTuners035.jpg

The individual shelves are made of thin glass and the spacings can be adjusted by moving soft plastic covered metal pegs up and down pre-drilled holes. I think this is great CD wall shelf unit, its just a pity I did not need the glass door.

This unit has allowed me to use more of the top of the book case and further more bring part of my CD collection down stairs...the Female singer songwriters, Male singer songwriters are now close to hand...

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/LeakTroughlineTuners033.jpg

As this changes the layout of my main listening room a bit I have placed this write up in this thread.

Regards D S D L :)

webby
09-06-2009, 11:08
What are those shelves that the cd's are on in the Trough Line photo?

Edit: nevermind, I posted that after seeing the pics on page 1. Are they the AMC racks?

Spectral Morn
09-06-2009, 13:50
What are those shelves that the cd's are on in the Trough Line photo?

Edit: nevermind, I posted that after seeing the pics on page 1. Are they the AMC racks?

Hi Webby Yes AMC an Italian company that sadly don't make them any more, hence the reason one is grey rather than black. It was the last one I could get. As your music collection grows you need more storage so when I originally bought a few AMC storage units I had not planned in putting any more on the wall. My plans changed....and I could get no more:doh: black ones anyway.

Ikea have some good units available at the minute...it would be worth going on-line and having a look. The unit with the glass shelves is such.

Regards D S D L

webby
09-06-2009, 14:08
Yeah, the ikea stuff is good, very handy, and cheap.

But I am looking for ways to reduce the space my cd's take up.

Check my welcome post. :)

Spectral Morn
09-06-2009, 14:34
Yeah, the ikea stuff is good, very handy, and cheap.

But I am looking for ways to reduce the space my cd's take up.

Check my welcome post. :)

Other than removing the discs and their covers from the jewel cases, and using a drawer type system...I can't think of anything to help you. At least you are not trying to reduce LP storage which is another problem I have/had in the past.

Storing discs on a hard drive and then getting rid of the discs when you have finished (please put them up for sale on the site here if you do)is about the only way to remove them totally (perish the thought Errrrrrrr). You could cull your collection to make space but if you are anyway like me that might be hard....I hate to get rid of anything.

Regards D S D L

webby
09-06-2009, 14:39
I concur. I won't get rid of the discs but I quite like the DiscSox and Jewelsleeve options (keeps all the artwork and back cover).

There is a nice blog on this stuff called living with music.com

Spectral Morn
09-06-2009, 14:53
I concur. I won't get rid of the discs but I quite like the DiscSox and Jewelsleeve options (keeps all the artwork and back cover).

There is a nice blog on this stuff called living with music.com

The only issue I foresee is the possibility of scratching the Cds. No matter how careful you are, any paper sleeve or poly lined sleeve can put scratches on the discs. This is not a good idea as even if the marks are very light it makes the error correction system in your CD player work harder thus effecting sound quality negatively. There is also the issue of finger prints....I hate Cd Lp sleeve recreations always to tight to get fingers in to remove the CD without marking them in some way.

Regards D S D L

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
09-06-2009, 16:11
Hi Neil
I have all my CD collection in the plastic covers with the front and back art work visable (not sure of the source as I buy them from Keith at Angelsound Audio) and the discs are in Acid free paper. When putting the CD's into the paper sleeve I grip the edge which opens the sleeve and the CD can be dropped in without either surface touching the inside, none of mine have scratches or marks on them.

So I wouldn't be put off with them on that regard.

Hope that helps

Andy - SDDW

DSJR
09-06-2009, 16:32
You know, it's a shame that Ikea haven't yet opened a warehouse/store in east anglia and the Thurrock one is a PITA to get to (the A12 can be a nightmare most days).

I like a lot of Ikea stuff and have known and used Billy Bookcases for over twenty years now (I have some 80cm wide/120cm high ones with my vinyl on them and they haven't broken yet... The Lack table was a very good early turntable support as I remember.

Spectral Morn
09-06-2009, 16:33
Hi Neil
I have all my CD collection in the plastic covers with the front and back art work visable (not sure of the source as I buy them from Keith at Angelsound Audio) and the discs are in Acid free paper. When putting the CD's into the paper sleeve I grip the edge which opens the sleeve and the CD can be dropped in without either surface touching the inside, none of mine have scratches or marks on them.

So I wouldn't be put off with them on that regard.

Hope that helps

Andy - SDDW

Hi Andy

Hopefully Webby will have a look at this info....as for me I like to have the CDs in their original packaging except the cardboard lp type mini sleeves....I hate these.

Regards D S D L

Spectral Morn
09-06-2009, 16:48
You know, it's a shame that Ikea haven't yet opened a warehouse/store in east anglia and the Thurrock one is a PITA to get to (the A12 can be a nightmare most days).

I like a lot of Ikea stuff and have known and used Billy Bookcases for over twenty years now (I have some 80cm wide/120cm high ones with my vinyl on them and they haven't broken yet... The Lack table was a very good early turntable support as I remember.

Yes saw one of these for the first time. It reminded me in feel, weight etc to a Russ Andrews Torlyte table I had from about 20 years ago (the three legged one. I used it under my Voyd Valdi....excellent combination).

Yes Billy is the name of the tall thin 2m tall cd racks....nice but not wall mountable.

Regards D S D L

webby
09-06-2009, 16:48
I Couldn't find any sleeves on his site Andy.

09-06-2009, 19:03
I Couldn't find any sleeves on his site Andy.

Hi Webby

Not really looked on his site for the CD sleeves etc. I usually give him a call, he's a good guy to talk to, so no worries there.

If you are unsure I could drop a couple through the post for you, so you can see what you are getting, though I'm sure Keith would do that too.

Let me know how you get on.

Andy - SDDW

webby
10-06-2009, 10:19
Thanks for the offer Andy, although they are low on my list of things to do at the moment. Maybe I'll come back to you for those?

Cheers

10-06-2009, 12:32
Thanks for the offer Andy, although they are low on my list of things to do at the moment. Maybe I'll come back to you for those?

Cheers

No probs, just drop me a line.

Andy - SDDW