PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Beta

Labarum
08-01-2009, 16:01
Windows 7 Beta is circulating. Anyone tried it?

Does it make bit perfect transmission of audio files easier?

Does it make it easier to switch audio configuration?

Filterlab
08-01-2009, 18:08
Haven't tried it myself as we're going over to Apple at work, but I can't believe (or rather I can) that Microsoft have ditched Vista already! Shame really as XP is a cracking OS and it's almost forced the hands of many users on to Apple and Linux. Still hopefully 7 will be a bit better.

Colin
14-01-2009, 19:43
I installed 7 as a dual boot toy yesterday, and have just started to have a play with it. Please keep in mind that I quite enjoy using XP, and find Vista to be annoying, but that is partially a ease of use thing. I know how XP works, how to tweak it and have it running and networking how I want very quickly. Vista just plain nags at you for no good reason, hides half of the information you need under pretty little icons or warnings. As vista is on my laptop I have tolerated it. 7 is bloody vista, or at least it is so far. Upside- I have the 64 bit version, and with the exception of the modem I use for faxes I have found drivers for everything. It runs quicker than vista, about as quick as XP I would say. I will have more a play with the audio side over the weekend and see what it can do.

I have to say that at the moment the release of 7, and from that point on, the demise of XP may be the push I need to move most of my machines over to Linux of one flavour or another.

Mike
14-01-2009, 19:48
How does one acquire this Windows 7 please?

Mike
14-01-2009, 19:50
And should I bother? :scratch:

Colin
14-01-2009, 19:53
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/beta-download.aspx

good luck

Filterlab
16-01-2009, 12:35
And should I bother? :scratch:

Unless you are a bit of a source coder I'd be tempted to leave it until a firm version is available.

Mike
16-01-2009, 15:48
I'd rather play with it for free for a while. Don't really want to pay and then find out I hate it! ;)

Colin^
25-02-2009, 20:59
I have been using Windows 7 since early January and find it for a Beta 1 build, quite stable and quick. I run Vista with SP 2 and prefer Windows 7 already even though it is in its infant stages.

I will making Windows 7 my main operating system when it is released next year and will continue to run it as my main one until then.

Gazjam
25-02-2009, 23:20
You guys should try Windows Server 2008....

It shares the Vista core, but it SO SO much faster and slicker.
Everything Vista should have been.
Mouse clicks and windows are instantaneous.

Its very easy to turn in into a Workstation OS too....perfect for my 3D modelling work.

Its actually faster than XP on my system.
AMAZING for 3D Modelling and Photoshop.

I know nothing about Windows 7 - is it based on Server 2008 - I dunno.

ultraviolet
25-02-2009, 23:27
I can't check right now as I'm in XP but I think the 7 beta has the sample rate fixed at 48 kHz if i remember correctly, with various options greyed out so you can't change them. Didn't test sound out on it after I noticed this as all my audio is 44.1 kHz.

nbaptista
26-02-2009, 00:24
I will making Windows 7 my main operating system when it is released next year and will continue to run it as my main one until then.
How is it possible?I´m running Windows 7 Beta and the licence expires on 31 July 2009!

Colin^
26-02-2009, 02:09
I am a CTP Tester for Microsoft USA and will get further Beta builds, my beta build isn't time expired.

mag1caltrev0r
26-02-2009, 19:38
For those interested in Windows 2008 Server as an alternative, have a look here (http://www.win2008workstation.com/wordpress/) or more specifically at the .pdf doc here (http://www.win2008workstation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11)

I've been running it for months now and it's so much better than Vista...

sastusbulbas
01-03-2009, 00:40
I am running Windows 7.

Just getting my head round some of it just now, but what I don't like is the way it does not automatically add album art and track info without any input.

Pasting album art seems finicky so far too, but I am sure I will get into it.

Class
06-03-2009, 12:01
Windows 7 is actually a Vista 2 (it's a tweaked/updated Vista).
The beta is very good now and I'll probably upgrade once it's gold status, skipping the horrible Vista.

The price of server 2008 makes it kinda expensive for those of us that pay for the OS ;)

sastusbulbas
07-03-2009, 21:19
Windows 7 is actually a Vista 2 (it's a tweaked/updated Vista).
The beta is very good now and I'll probably upgrade once it's gold status, skipping the horrible Vista.

The price of server 2008 makes it kinda expensive for those of us that pay for the OS ;)

:lol:

Nah, I think that's interweb hype for you.

Windows 7 has been on the cards for years it was being dicussed in computer magazines before service pack 3 for XP, it sort of follows the old new OS ever two years thing from Windows, I am pretty sure Vista will have another service pack soon and continue to drag at the heels.

I am quite liking Windows 7, its quite snappy, and as far as I am concerned going to be a bit of a step for Windows which along with Leopard for Mac me ultimately disappoint some. I have also heard there are going to be changes to the costs and availability of OEM software.

Edit, W7 will do 16 or 24bit 44/48/96 audio via spdif. At least thats the options I have. It also has a room correction box which states a microphone is required, I am guessing this will be more for movies though? May try it with the mike from my Pioneer 912 amp.

Class
08-03-2009, 06:19
Windows 7 has been on the cards for years [...]Er, yeah, don't know where that came from, sorry about that.

SP2 for Vista is in RC status now I think.