PDA

View Full Version : What do you really think of Adele?

Tim
19-05-2012, 15:58
I see the BBC are screening her Royal Albert Hall concert yet again tonight (I can recall at least 3 other screenings in the last few months), I hope she's bunging the 'beeb' some commission money, but I doubt it especially as she whines about paying her tax bill!

Anyway, I seem to have a complete blind spot for her and wondered what others thought?

Macca
19-05-2012, 16:31
I find her vocal style a bit irritating but I am not much for female vocalists on the whole, Aretha Franklin being an odd exception. No opinion either way really, I drifted away from following contemporary music a fair few years ago now.

bogle111
19-05-2012, 16:43
Vocally, I think she is a bit refreshing on some tracks, but don't fancy a programme of one artist. My attention span won't take it.

Besides, she is from Essex, and starting life as an Essex boy, another reason to support her. In fact, I support all UK artists bringing money into UK, especially with the Eurovision looming...Go Englebert!

Joe
19-05-2012, 17:15
Only heard her sing once, couldn't understand what the fuss is about. Not a patch on, say, Aretha Franklin, Dusty Springfield or Roberta Flack.

Tim
19-05-2012, 19:11
Not a patch on, say, Aretha Franklin, Dusty Springfield or Roberta Flack.
Couldn't agree more, but she is selling albums by the bucket load :scratch:
Mind you, the media hype that surrounds her only helps to boost those sales.
Keep the votes coming, it is interesting so far and pretty much as I anticipated :)

Reid Malenfant
19-05-2012, 19:23
I voted no opinion either way, simply because I have never knowingly heard any of her output.

Probably not my cup of tea though so I'm not looking to change that :eyebrows:

Tim
19-05-2012, 19:27
. . . I have never knowingly heard any of her output.
Goodness me Mark, how have you managed that?

Reid Malenfant
19-05-2012, 19:37
It's quite easy. I don't listen to the radio, except it does wake me up in the morning. But it's tuned to radio 1 & it's that fat uncouth bugger (Moyles) on there so he gets switched off pronto :eyebrows:

I don't watch TV either, so no input there...

No Adele, no Jessie J, no Simon Cowell, no JLS, no woman no cry :rfl:

Try it some time :D

Mr Nad
19-05-2012, 20:01
There is an option missing:
Who is Adele?

Seriously. Who is Adele?:scratch::scratch::scratch:

Tim
19-05-2012, 20:35
Who is Adele?
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ENv19TwvfmA/TzWnnYQ95AI/AAAAAAAABks/ORg3oUxT648/s320/adele-fat.jpg

Reid Malenfant
19-05-2012, 20:37
Ah, she's a bit of a broad bird :eyebrows:

Self basting if you like that sort of thing :D

Macca
19-05-2012, 22:02
'self basting' - that cracked me up

Roy S
19-05-2012, 22:18
'self basting' - that cracked me up

'Butterball'

Macca
19-05-2012, 22:19
You gotta roll her in flour and look for the wet spot

Roy S
19-05-2012, 22:45

...not the one she sings out of :eyebrows:

Macca
19-05-2012, 22:53
...not the one she sings out of :eyebrows:

Which still leaves you some scope...

Stratmangler
19-05-2012, 23:34
I managed to listen to her 19 and 21 albums for about two minutes apiece before I had to turn it off :eyebrows:

prestonchipfryer
20-05-2012, 07:45
I managed to listen to her 19 and 21 albums for about two minutes apiece before I had to turn it off :eyebrows:

As long as that?, eh! :lol:

John
20-05-2012, 08:42
Its not really my thing she has a good voiceand seems to sing catchy anthems so I guess that is why a lot of people like her. I guess I am another that fits in with no opion

Mr Nad
20-05-2012, 12:12
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ENv19TwvfmA/TzWnnYQ95AI/AAAAAAAABks/ORg3oUxT648/s320/adele-fat.jpg

http://www.nndb.com/people/926/000119569/katepierson03.jpg

Looks like someone's taken a balloon pump to Kate Pierson from the B-52s.

What was going on in that Love Shack?

Canetoad
21-05-2012, 08:35
Sorry, I like my pop princesses to be attractive. Where's the film clip with everybody wearing bugger all? :scratch: :lol:

Dominic Harper
21-05-2012, 09:17

You filthy B***ard lololololololol PMSL :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Natalie;)

Canetoad
21-05-2012, 10:53
Sorry, I've been conditioned by all that have come before! :doh:

Tim
21-05-2012, 16:13
Sorry, I like my pop princesses to be attractive. Where's the film clip with everybody wearing bugger all? :scratch: :lol:
I have to admit that's not the best picture of her, but maybe if she was the size of Jennifer Aniston she wouldn't have the voice she has? Even though I'm not a fan, I do acknowledge she has a great voice. I'm looking forward to her next album, as touring with The Civil Wars and going to Nashville have (her words) 'opened her eyes to real music'. She has stated she wants to record her next album in Nashville, so maybe we will see what she's really capable of when she ditches the spluurgy 'MOR' pop music.

Give that girl some class session musicians and a producer like Gurf Morlix or Rick Rubin and she could be worthy of all the hype she is currently receiving (IMHO ;))

Dominic Harper
21-05-2012, 17:22
Adele, in my opinion is one of the best younger talent we have. if you look at the likes of Lady Ga Ga or as I like to call her Lady Gag Gag and that idiot Jessie J, I just want to give her a good smack. I can't stand watching her on the voice, and the only person on that program that has any talent is good old Tom. He has more talent in his little finger than all the other 3 put together. Adele, is by far one of the greatest younger talents we have in the music industry today.

Natalie;)

Tim
21-05-2012, 17:30
Adele, is by far one of the greatest younger talents we have in the music industry today.
I can't argue with that Natalie and she does show a lot of promise and appears to be made of sterner stuff than poor Amy - I just can't get past the dirge pop music she has turned out thus far and her as a person, but talent yes, she does have that.

Mind you, dirge pop music does sell records and has made her a mulch-millionaire, so who am I to argue? ;)

serendipitydawg
23-05-2012, 15:39
Over-rated and under talented, Badly recorded as well.

All, IMHO, of course

WOStantonCS100
05-06-2012, 05:19
When this post/poll first came out, I refrained from voting and posting because I had not given any thought to listening to her music, at all. As for any of her exploits or social misbehaves or misspeaks, I had no knowledge (neither do I want that knowledge).

Having spent quite a bit of time since then listening to her material, I feel like I've earned the right to give an (my) opinion. For me it's not that she's a bad singer per se; but, there is a quality in her voice that I just don't like. Instead of drawing me in, it pushes me away. After the first couple of stanzas I really want to be listening to someone else. Personally, I don't feel her voice is very soulful and is overly powerful given the song material, which leaves me flat and "reaching for the dial". The word mundane comes to mind. (Flame suit on, even though, usually unnecessary on this forum)

It's not that I don't dig the chicks. I do love female vocalists/singers. To name but a few in no particular order: Cassandra Wilson, Linda Ronstadt, Elaine McFarlane, June Christy, Janis Siegel, Laura Nyro, Marlena Shaw, Dolly Parton, Emmy Lou Harris, Claire Martin, Aretha, Roberta Flack, Astrud Gilberto, Flora Purim, Diana Ross, Diana Krall, Leontyne Price, Etta James, Amy Winehouse, Lætitia Sadier, Stevie Nicks, Barbara Jean Love, Ruth Copeland, Urszula Dudziak, Rickie Lee Jones....... the list goes on so long it's ridiculous. But, Adele... I guess that's why there are now 9 votes for "I really don't like her." Heck, I'd rather listen to Melissa Manchester.

sq225917
05-06-2012, 06:58
I quite like her albums, there are of the 'now', certainly not classics or anything like that. She's a bit of whiny stupid cow though who should really keep her multi million pound earning mouth shut about things like tax.

StanleyB
05-06-2012, 07:37
[] that idiot Jessie J, I just want to give her a good smack. I can't stand watching her on the voice, []

Natalie;)
I wouldn't mind giving Jessie a good smack as well :D. A lean and mean bird. Not much fat on that like Adele, and tastier.

WAD62
07-06-2012, 10:43
I have absolutely no interest in her...but she's not alone in that department as an artist ;)

I always remember a great quote from George Michael to the NME, back in his WAM days...'12 year old's deserve entertainment too', and it's a fair statement...I suppose there's a large section of the public that don't like or want more challenging music...and they deserve entertainment too.

...but she's getting nowhere close to my stereo ;)