PDA

View Full Version : Computer World - Kraftwerk

RochaCullen
18-05-2012, 15:35
Just listening to Computer World by Kraftwerk, an original pressing. Its playing on my Modded TD160 with Rega R200 and AT440MLA, and Graham Slee V Era Gold.

I've heard good recordings and bad recordings, but this thing takes my kit into a new stratosphere.

Wakefield Turntables
18-05-2012, 16:20
which just goes to prove its not how much money your throw at your kit but how good the vinyl is in the 1st place.

northwest
18-05-2012, 18:00
which just goes to prove its not how much money your throw at your kit but how good the vinyl is in the 1st place.

This is very true. Not just how clean your vinyl is but how well the tracks are engineered. I have a copy of Roger Waters "The Pro's and Cons of Hitch Hiking"(yes, you know, the one with the really, REALLY Naff Album Cover) and assuming you like that sort of thing - the music, not the cover - It is absolutely terrific!
I like it anyway.

I am however disappointed with some other vinyl, that I have paid good money for and it sounds terrible. Bad on an average system but just appaling on a good system.

DSJR
18-05-2012, 20:11
"Her dress blew off, over her head....."

Sorry chaps, wrong album :lol:

I LOVE Computer World, it's one of my favourite albums from that period, although the German lyric CD issue is fantastic as well. This record was one of the formative dance music albums IMO.

RichB
20-05-2012, 10:43
Yes CW is also my fav Kraftwerk album, i managed to see a more recent line up live a few years ago and Numbers/Pocket Calculator were the stand out tracks from the gig.

If you havent got it already the Minimum-Maximum DVD also sounds great and brings the tracks right up to date.

Giubanix
20-05-2012, 17:42
I am however disappointed with some other vinyl, that I have paid good money for and it sounds terrible. Bad on an average system but just appaling on a good system.

Some of the worst sounding vinyl I've bought has been 1980s reissues of early 70s albums. Clearly produced from tapes that were many generations down from the originals - flat and lifeless with no bass or high frequencies to speak of. Once had an 80s issue of Led Zep IV that I knew from the very first drumbeat on side one was going straight onto the reject pile.

A bit more on topic, I love CW too, but I reckon Man Machine is probably my fave Kraftwerk album.

RochaCullen
22-05-2012, 12:33
I am fairly new to vinyl, but what amazes me is the difference in quality that can exist between recordings. I have vinyl that creates a very broad soundstage with huge dynamics, and others that create a flat, small scale sound that really does nothing to enamour you with the format.

If I could get my hands on a recommended list of records that totally exploit the vinyl format, like Computer World, I'd have no problem shelling out the large sums of money needed to purchase new vinyl, but lately I haven't been taking that risk. The low cost of CDs at the moment is appealing to my sensible side.

realysm42
22-05-2012, 14:19
Does quality differ from vinyl to vinyl or is it more about the batches that are pressed?

tannoy man
22-05-2012, 17:08
http://bandhits.co.uk/img/p/1944-3380-large.jpg

This Sounds FANTASTIC

chelsea
22-05-2012, 18:18
It seems most kraftwerk stuff is superb sounding.
I struggle to listen to more than 2 or 3 tracks at a time as it leaves me cold.