PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here like motorbikes?

walpurgis
18-05-2012, 10:26
I've owned and enjoyed motorcycles more or less all my life. I'm knocking on a bit I suppose and I've just sold my last one (it was only a tiddler). I was wondering whether to have another. I've noticed that I feel the weight of the 'big uns' rather a lot these days and being a bit short in the leg, I'd need something reasonably low and possibly not too heavy. A Moto Guzzi Nevada springs to mind. Anybody out there ridden one? Are they any good or any fun? Geoff.

morris_minor
18-05-2012, 14:55
I've ridden older Guzzis - when they worked they were good :lol:. Seriously, they were good fun, plenty of torque. Most of my riding was done on shaft drive Yamaha roadsters - but I really hankered after a BMW1200C: the custom Beemer featured in one of the 007 films. I took one for an extended test ride after convincing the dealer I could afford one (:eek:). It would pull top gear from walking pace and keep going like a train - tremendous performance and pose value to die for. The linked brakes and novel front suspension eliminated nose dive when you grabbed a handful (which was frequent). The only problem was I couldn't justify £10k on a big-boys-toy :(.

Haselsh1
18-05-2012, 16:53
I rode motorcycles for around twenty five years in total. The best...? A Kawasaki H2C 750cc two stroke triple that nearly killed me. I partially severed my left leg and broke oh so many bones. Awesome bike...!!! I later bought another one as a vintage bike back in the early nineties. I was so scared of that bike second time around. I only kept it for a few months.

The best ever for me...? A Ducati 907ie. Truly beautiful with carbon cans. How I miss those days.

Haselsh1
18-05-2012, 16:56
By the way: my local dealer always used to refer to Moto Guzzi's as Moto Gutless. Just thought I would say.

goraman
18-05-2012, 18:38
I would look at a ridged Harley Sportster 1200cc.
They sit very low and with the right front end a lot of fun and gutless they are not.
I would suggest a Jhon Harman frame now being recreated and even the Harman front ends are being built again by Bill Holland.
These bikes look cool and are fun to ride and they get respect.
And they are very light weight.
My older brother had an original Harmon in the early 70's and that old 883 with a s&s and a smaller rear wheel would smoke the Kawasaki 900 in the 1/4 mile.
With a modern 1200cc stroked you would have a hell of a pub hopper!
I live where these bikes are made and grew up on the shoulders of the guys who built and rode them,my much older brother rode and party-ed with the real hard core,no Dr's or Lawer's rode these bikes back then. All his friends scared the Hell out of our suburban neighbors. But these big scary monsters where great with me often giving me rides,beer and putting me up on there shoulders, good times.
http://www.executivechoppers.com/

prestonchipfryer
18-05-2012, 18:42
Very, very nice. But with our winding UK roads it may prove a bit tricky to ride and keep control. :)

goraman
18-05-2012, 19:22
Very, very nice. But with our winding UK roads it may prove a bit tricky to ride and keep control. :)

a shorter front end and less rake will make this a good cornering bikeand the torqe .

Reid Malenfant
18-05-2012, 19:25
a shorter front end and less rake will make this a good cornering bikeand the torqe .
I have a simple answer to that :)

Buell 1125CR :D It's still American, but it's a real bike :eyebrows:

goraman
18-05-2012, 19:27
very heavy.

Reid Malenfant
18-05-2012, 19:38
Not at all, it's very light indeed for 1125CC.

The difference is it handles & stops & starts without throwing a wobbly.

They use to say that the old Yamaha XS1100 had mega performance, but tea trolley handling :rfl: So how you'd expect a chopper to be as safe as a tourer I do not know.

You don't have to go all lead elbow like I used to. But having a bike that can get you out of the shit seems like a decent idea to me ;)

This is the UK after all, there are 65 million on this crowded isle & I swear that half of them can't drive properly. You take your life into your own hands out there :doh:

goraman
18-05-2012, 19:46
the buall is not loved here .
it failed misarably . the bike i love is the tryumph speed tripple 900.
but i thoght it might sit to high for him.

Reid Malenfant
18-05-2012, 19:48
Maybe not, have you seen the seat height of the Rocket? It's low & yet it's a 2.3L triple :eek:

goraman
18-05-2012, 19:53
i test rode one when they first came out.
loved it but stayed with my 79 bonny .

Techno Commander
18-05-2012, 20:03
I became the happy owner of a Triumph Tiger 800 last year. :D:D

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg116/sillystuff99/Bikes/Tiger%202/DSCN1164.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg116/sillystuff99/Bikes/Tiger%202/DSCN1165.jpg

Alex_UK
18-05-2012, 20:43
Interesting that a few of us seem to be into bikes as well as hi-fi... Maybe it is just another type of male jewellery, or toys for the boys? :)

No experience of the Guzzi (or indeed the other bikes mentioned) as I'm a sports bike fan - but any biker is good!

walpurgis
18-05-2012, 20:45
I rode motorcycles for around twenty five years in total. The best...? A Kawasaki H2C 750cc two stroke triple that nearly killed me. I partially severed my left leg and broke oh so many bones. Awesome bike...!!! I later bought another one as a vintage bike back in the early nineties. I was so scared of that bike second time around. I only kept it for a few months.

The best ever for me...? A Ducati 907ie. Truly beautiful with carbon cans. How I miss those days.

Blimey, lucky (and unlucky) lad. I loved the Kwacker triples, nothing else could match that amazingly insane wailing howl (nor has since). I never tried an H2, but I had a new S3A and that went like stink. Nearly as quick as the two H1Fs I bought afterwards. One of those had a decent port job and a set of Denco spannies on, made a difference. I followed those with a Suzuki GT550A, but was not thrilled by it, nor the XS650 Yam after that. Last bike I had that was a total hoot was a little Honda CB1 400 (full power version) about eight years ago. That was a loony little machine and actually handled. Definitely quicker than the GSX 600F that followed it. It had the same engine as the CBR400RR in a light open bike, good recipe. Seriously embarassed a bloke in a Ferrari F40 who was cracking on a bit. Wish I'd kept that one. No bikes at the moment, recently sold off my DR200, GS500 and Innova. Geoff.

walpurgis
18-05-2012, 20:53
Interesting that a few of us seem to be into bikes as well as hi-fi... Maybe it is just another type of male jewellery, or toys for the boys? :)

No experience of the Guzzi (or indeed the other bikes mentioned) as I'm a sports bike fan - but any biker is good!

I suspect its not just Hi-Fi and bikes. I'll bet there are many into photography and cars too. (and maybe beer) Geoff.

webby
18-05-2012, 21:15
Hmmm, I hate bikes and the highly flawed think bike ads.

Jonboy
18-05-2012, 22:53
Sorry i can't help it, every time i see the "think bike signs" i always think twat trying to kill himself, i do like some bikes really and have owned a few off road ones i especially like vintage ones, the Sammy Miller museum is highly recommended, just think that if you want to go at 180 mph on two wheels you are going to end up dead sooner or later

goraman
18-05-2012, 22:53
Low to the ground,not to heavy,loads of torque but more importantly FUN .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ARyJnk2IME

Another option. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDDFnjcpXLw&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Thing Fish
18-05-2012, 22:59
Had many bikes over the years but my last and by far my favourite was my 1979 Mike hailwood replica Ducati. It was number 3 of the first 200 ever made.

Sadly it had to go as I needed double glazing in my first flat...:(

goraman
18-05-2012, 23:00
Sorry i can't help it, every time i see the "think bike signs" i always think twat trying to kill himself, i do like some bikes really and have owned a few off road ones i especially like vintage ones, the Sammy Miller museum is highly recommended, just think that if you want to go at 180 mph on two wheels you are going to end up dead sooner or later

You are actually safer if you drive faster.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/jeremy-clarkson/jeremy-clarkson-top-gear-column-april-2012-04-26

walpurgis
18-05-2012, 23:13

As a total aside. You mentioned Sammy Miller, but have you ever heard of the other Sammy Miller? He was an American who set the (still standing) world record for acceleration over a quarter of a mile at the British, Santa Pod dragstrip in 1982 in his rocket car 'Vanishing Point'. I recall it was approx 400mph in under 4 seconds -- incredible! I was there..... The car was reputed to reach 100mph in 0.25 seconds and Sammy had to wear a fighter pilot's 'G' suit to avoid blackouts. If you Google: Sammy Miller Santa Pod, the uTube videos come up, well worth a watch, and amazing. Geoff.

goraman
18-05-2012, 23:16
Is this bike burning alot of oil or what ?
New exhaust would not be my 1st concern.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBzkGXJKKJ4&feature=related

Exactly the bike I want http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoHXaVEnLvM

goraman
18-05-2012, 23:22
As a total aside. You mentioned Sammy Miller, but have you ever heard of the other Sammy Miller? He was an American who set the (still standing) world record for acceleration over a quarter of a mile at the British, Santa Pod dragstrip in 1982 in his rocket car 'Vanishing Point'. I recall it was approx 400mph in under 4 seconds -- incredible! I was there..... The car was reputed to reach 100mph in 0.25 seconds and Sammy had to wear a fighter pilot's 'G' suit to avoid blackouts. If you Google: Sammy Miller Santa Pod, the uTube videos come up, well worth a watch, and amazing. Geoff.

300+mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePOuP3p7E7c

walpurgis
18-05-2012, 23:32
300+mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePOuP3p7E7c

Around the same time, I also saw Henk Vink (Vynk?) at Long Marston on his rocket bike. He got into a speed wobble at the eighth mile (halfway) point and had to shut down, but was still timed at over 200mph in under 3 seconds!

By the way, do any of you know about the YK2 bike? Check it out. It makes the Bugatti Veyron look like a mum pushing a pram and you can actually buy one! Geoff.

goraman
18-05-2012, 23:35
Around the same time, I also saw Henk Vink (Vynk?) at Long Marston on his rocket bike. He got into a speed wobble at the eighth mile (halfway) point and had to shut down, but was still timed at over 200mph in under 3 seconds!

By the way, do any of you know about the YK2 bike? Check it out. It makes the Bugatti Veyron look like a mum pushing a pram and you can actually buy one! Geoff.

No thanks on the YK2 saw it on speed vision .I'd be happy with this - the silly wind screen and fanny pack on the tank, the color is awesome as :cool:well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhfVEDAxlnA&feature=related

John
19-05-2012, 06:21
Used to ride a lot
Crazist job i had was a despatch rider in London, like being on computer game sometimes but instead of losing points you could lose limbs. I have not rode a bike for years but often feel tempted when i pass the ace cafe

Audio Al
19-05-2012, 06:27
Hi

I have ridden bikes for the last 19 years

From SR125 yam learner and test bike :)

others include

Kwakasaki 750 turbo

BMW 1200lt tourer
Goldwings Gl1000 , Gl1500's Gl1800 , Harley Electraglide's , road king and my current
Street glide

Cant stand the Harley Brother culture but do like the bikes ;)

Jonboy
19-05-2012, 06:34
As a total aside. You mentioned Sammy Miller, but have you ever heard of the other Sammy Miller?

Yes i have heard of him and have been to Santa pod a few times to watch drag racing, he was a bit before my time but remember vanishing point, my son is badgering me to go to Goodwood with him this year but as always it clashes with other shows i attend.

This is a local (to me ) Vintage bike shop that has some very nice things for sale

http://www.verralls.com/vintage-motorcycles.html

StanleyB
19-05-2012, 06:43
I enjoyed riding a motorbike, until I crashed at high speed and broke a lot of bones. I have never fully recovered from that accident, and haven been on a bike of any sorts since about 1991.

anthonyTD
19-05-2012, 10:12
hi All,
I have been riding motorcycles since i was 9 years old, from motorcross and then as soon as i was old enough [16] road, and off road bikes.
I didnt have a full car licence untill my late 20's so up untill then bikes were my only transport etc.
I dont think there has been more than 3 years since i was a kid that i havent owned one!
Although these days even though i still have one tucked away in the garage [old Kawasaki 750 Zephyr] i havent ridden it for so long now i cant remember.
I could never go back to sports bikes as the riding position is way too painfull.
I too have suffered from many Bumps and miss-haps over the years [broken collar bone, ribs, hip damage, and back/disk issues] and as i have gotten older every thing seems to hurt too much these days.:(
I just cant bear the thought of getting rid of it as i know once its gone i will miss it!
The main place it goes these days is to the MOT station and back, and out for the occasional run, and clean and polish etc.
I still follow the Moto GP's and Superbike series.
Anthony,TD...

Alex_UK
19-05-2012, 11:11
The daft thing about bikes is that once it is in your blood it is always there - a bit like giving up smoking - you never become a non-smoker, just someone who isn't smoking at the moment... Despite my best mate and uncle turning themselves into organ donors on bikes, there's still just something about them I can't resist, and I am addicted to watching bike racing - the best motorsport IMO. :)

Effem
19-05-2012, 11:38
Would love to have another bike but it's the amount of money the government wants to relieve me of that irks me so much. Because I let my entitlement lapse from having a paper driving licence, I now have to start from scratch with the CBT and all the other rigmarole before I can get on a decent bike again :(

I did have a Honda 125 a few years ago that only went out in the fair weather on a Sunday for pleasure which was sold when I met the missus, but I really could do now with a bike for commuting to work.

Canetoad
21-05-2012, 09:08
Triumph T595 Daytona and Yamaha XJR 1300, the latter for commuting. :)

Hardly use the Daytona these days but can't bring myself to sell it. :doh:

Haselsh1
21-05-2012, 11:40
I would dearly love to re-invent my motorcycling days especially as I now live on the very edge of the North York Moors and if it were to happen would immediately buy a Harley 1200 Sportster Custom but it is not going to happen unless I come up trumps on a scratchcard. My money these days is accounted for before I have actually earned it and goes on the basics of living and new vinyl. Any more than that, I simply cannot afford.

AlfaGTV
21-05-2012, 12:42
Unfortunately sold a couple of years ago:
http://www.ollars.net/Ducati/images/31CE0815.jpg

Great bikes though!

walpurgis
21-05-2012, 19:32
I love Ducatis. only ridden a couple though. Best 'V' twin sound out there!