PDA

View Full Version : Qigong and Tai-Chi Chuan

WikiBoy
10-02-2008, 23:53
This is the other love of my live apart from audio design.

It all started in the late 80's with going out to Taiwan and Hong Kong every few months on business and being Jet lagged and seeing people doing strange things in the parks in the morning.

Anyway I have had Hong Kong and Mainland China based teachers and also a UK based Chinese teacher. In late 90's I was told ;) to teach. I now have my own school and it was that that I gave up manufacturing audio for in 2000 when I got completely pissed off with being shafted by retailers and distributors. If ebay had been a viable proposition then I wouldn't have shelved it for 5 years.

Anyway if anyone is interested in looking my web site for it is www.art-of-energetics.com and there are some clips of me at youtube. The first is doing the last part of the hand form. The form last about 20 minutes and this is the last 7 minutes of it. There are tech terms and names for the moves and it is very Chinese, based on Taoist concepts. Don't be fooled by it being trained slowly, it is very effective martial art that you can do until you die. It is the one in Kung Fu movies where the old man beats up all the sprogs :) I am 60 so I can vouch for it for flexibility and internal fitness as you grow older, I am more flexible more relaxed and fitter than I was in my 30's. Though it doesn't turn you into a muscled adonis as you will see in the clips. In fact most of the senior teachers develop this bottom heavy shape. Though I suffer from being a pig and liking my food, in fact my Chinese sign is golden pig. By the way seeing as it is Chinese new year - kung hey fat choy - all have a prosperous new year.

Anyway I have to say this but it will just lose you - this is a Yang family second generation long form circular large frame, sourced from the lineage of Yang Jian Hou - that differentiates it from other forms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qZI_XY9C_U

Also part or the training is what is called Pushing Hands, which trains some of the martial aspects. This is a bit spookie, but when you understand energetic usage (Qi) it is very normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PF50Nhpo-0

And this is my teacher Tian Yin Jia from Shanghai who is now 78 years old doing a small bit of the traditional small frame which was the form of the founder of the Yang Family style Yang Lu Chan born in 1799.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQeXthRy1rw

I hope some of you find it interesting.

Mike
13-02-2008, 17:25
Oh oooh!..... Very interesting!

I've been thinking about doing something along these lines for some time now. High blood pressure (taking medication) and dodgy knee joints (thanks to too many years mucking about on motorbikes) means I can't/don't want to do Karate again like I did in my yoof.

This could be 'just what the doctor ordered'! :)

Cheers,
Mike.

WikiBoy
13-02-2008, 21:44
Oh oooh!..... Very interesting!

I've been thinking about doing something along these lines for some time now. High blood pressure (taking medication) and dodgy knee joints (thanks to too many years mucking about on motorbikes) means I can't/don't want to do Karate again like I did in my yoof.

This could be 'just what the doctor ordered'! :)

Cheers,
Mike.

If you are interested in doing it go to www.taichifinder.co.uk and you can find a local class.

Lowrider
17-02-2008, 18:02
For the last couple of years I have been doing 15 minutes of Yoga every morning, reasonably healthy food, stairs instead of lift, not heavy stuff, but it is enough to keep me feeling good, I am 59, and I still can do what I always done... :cheers:

Mike
17-02-2008, 18:41
Hi Richard,

I tried that search site you posted but it didn't work for a few days.

It's now come up with this:

East-West Taoist Association
www.ewta.co.uk (http://www.taichifinder.co.uk/schoollink.php?link=www.ewta.co.uk)

Formed in 1999 by Howard Gibbon. Howard studied under Master Chee Soo for twenty-one years and was one of his most senior students and the holder of the highest master grade issued by Chee Soo. Howard endeavours to pass on the knowledge he received Lee style

instructor: East-West Taoist Dorothy tel: 01642 478605

(15-04-2006)

Any comments on these folks?

Cheers,
Mike.

WikiBoy
17-02-2008, 19:06
Hi Richard,

I tried that search site you posted but it didn't work for a few days.

It's now come up with this:

[COLOR=blue]East-West Taoist Association

I don't really recommend this style as it is western invention. No one in China has heard of it. If you want authentic and recognised then search for Chen - Yang - Wu - Wu Hao or Sun family styles, they are the only authentic ones. I obviously would recommend Yang as that is my style.

Mike
17-02-2008, 19:18
Thanks for the advice Richard, I'll look further.

I'm certainly looking for something 'authentic'. From what you say, it sounds like that link I posted is something along the lines of, to use a HiFi analogy, a Chinese (no pun or disrespect intended) version of a Quad II ?

BTW!... from what I remember, 'Qigong' would be pronounce "Chi-gong" ?

I think (errrm, I know not why, I just 'do'!) I'm more interested in traditional Tai-Chi.

Any advice will be much appreciated, and taken seriously!

Many Thanks,
Mike.

:youtheman:

WikiBoy
17-02-2008, 19:36
Thanks for the advice Richard, I'll look further.

I'm certainly looking for something 'authentic'. From what you say, it sounds like that link I posted is something along the lines of, to use a HiFi analogy, a Chinese (no pun or disrespect intended) version of a Quad II ?

BTW!... from what I remember, 'Qigong' would be pronounce "Chi-gong" ?

I think (errrm, I know not why, I just 'do'!) I'm more interested in traditional Tai-Chi.

Any advice will be much appreciated, and taken seriously!

Many Thanks,
Mike.:youtheman:

You have to remember Chinese is a pictorial written language not phonetic like western langauges. This means even though there are hundreds of Chinese dialects there is only one written langauge. In order to westernise, or as it is called Romanise, Chinese pictograms, you have to come to phonetic decisions about the sounds. There are two main systems for this the original was Wade Giles an American developed system from the end of the 19th century and the modern Chinese government (post revolution) method which is called PinYin. PinYin is Qigong - Wade Giles is Chi-Kung - pronounciation is the same in both cases. Same for Tai-Chi (Wade Giles) Taiji (PinYin).

Mike
17-02-2008, 19:52
Gotcha!... I think! :)

Best turn my attention to the physical aspects now!

I'll leave the language part for another time!

Thanks for the advice,
Mike