PDA

View Full Version : Reference Fidelity Components - Acoustic Room Treatment

Reffc
17-05-2012, 13:38
Just interested folks how many of you would be in the market for some quality Acoustic treatment solutions?

I'm developing a small but perfectly formed range of acoustic treatment solutions and if I get sufficient interest will start production very shortly.

The problem I find with the myriad of foam based products is

i) they are more suited to studio use and don't look particularly pretty in the average living room;
2) most of the foam solutions fade with exposure to sunlight and get shabby looking;
3) they are expensive for what they are (basically mattress foam cut into different shapes)
4) they require framing and covering to look acceptable.

Also, the typical size of 45mm depth doesn't do a great job at 100% acoustic absorption, especially below 5Khz. The thicker sections up to 100mm aren't that effective sub 100Hz either.

the solution?

I've trialled some 50 and 60kg/m3 density fire retardant rockwool and manufactured some attractive pine frames in various sizes. To this, I've added proper acoustic fabric with a backing that won't allow migration of the rockwool fibres.

Its available in a wide range of colours to help match or contrast with interior décor, can be specified fire retardant and gives a lovely finish. Not at all cheap to buy, but worth the extra.

The specifications on the final panels using between 100mm and 200mm rockwool give acoustic performance that exceeds all foam alternatives, with acoustic coefficients of greater than 1 for all frequencies above 1KHz, and at 200mm thickness, the same acoustic performance down to 40Hz.

I am offering to make these in the following panel sizes:

300mm by 750mm by 150mm bass traps;

1200 by 750mm by 100mm free standing or wall hanging absorption panels

1200 by 600 by 100mm - ditto

These will be provided with either stands for free standing behind speakers or at the rear of rooms, or with eyelets for wall hanging with standard picture hooks.

Prices expected to be approximately (depending on cover material specification)

Bass traps = £55 each

1200 by 750 panels = £95 each

1200 by 600 panels = £85 each.

All other custom sizes to your own specification can be manufactured.

If I receive reasonable interest, I will start making the first batches to custom order within a few weeks.

Delivery: Collection preferred but failing that I can courier at cost. Packaging in that event would be £16 for the large panels and £9 for the bass traps plus courier charges.

Reffc
17-05-2012, 16:40
Probably worth adding a link for those who may not have considered acoustic treatment and would like a little more information and guidance: Acoustic Room Treatment (http://referencefidelitycomponents.co.uk/acoustic-room-treatment-for-domestic-hifi-situations/)

Reffc
23-05-2012, 18:21
A few pics of the prototype 1.2 by 750mm by 100mm panels now residing in my living room. production models will be finished to a higher standard. I was concerned with the performance for these first few panels and I'm delighted to say that they have exceeded expections:

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/24pacman/RFC%20Cables/_MG_5198.jpg

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/24pacman/RFC%20Cables/_MG_5201.jpg

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/24pacman/RFC%20Cables/_MG_5204.jpg

You can be assured that customer models will be finished to a higher standard. These are hand made, not machine made, but even so the hemming etc will be more consistent (even if it is round the back out of site) on panels sold.

Performance wise, they do a fabulous job. Improved stereo image and greatly reduced bass boom. They comprehensively out performed the triangular acoustic foam bass traps bought to act as a comparison. In fact, all the triangular acoustic foam traps seemed to do was look untidy. I noticed no sonic improvements with them in place, unlike the panels pictured above. They are also great for hiding away untidy wiring and neaten the listening space up when placed behind loudspeakers!

Reffc
24-05-2012, 12:37
Final Prices:

300 by 1000 by 100 bass traps: £55.00
750 by 1200 by 100 broadband panels: £89.50
750 by 1200 by 50 acoustic panels (>500Hz) £87.50
600 by 1200 by 100 broadband panels: £84.50
600 by 1200 by 50 Acoustic panels (>500Hz) £82.50

Optional Mounting kits (wall) = £4.50 per unit
Optional feet kit (self assembly) for free standing = £17 per unit

All prices exclude packaging and courier delivery which for one panel is expected to be around £16, with discounts for multiple items. (It is recommended that you take out insurance for courier option as once they leave my care, they're yours! I am happy to arrange this for you though). Save the courier charges by collecting in person.

Please allow up to 15 working days for dispatch from date of order. I will supply colour swatch details on request, but you have a choice of 40 different colours. The rear of the unit comes as standard in black polycotton covering.

Reid Malenfant
24-05-2012, 18:16
I might have to have a think about some of these in the future.

Absolutely no point right now though as the room is going to kind of change shape somewhat & I have no idea how things will end up or where if anywhere I'd be able to fit them in.

No I haven't got a transformer for a room before someone mentions it (:eyebrows:), but I do have nearly 2M³ of bay window filled in behind my listening position at the present :scratch:

Reffc
24-05-2012, 22:01
When you get your room sorted Mark and have a chance to re-evaluate the speaker/room interaction it may be worth worth noting that I can custom build these to any size within reason for you(practical maximum for me would be 1.2m by 1.2m for a single large panel) to suit your particular circumstances. Taller more slender units also possible for corner traps up to 1.8m by 0.3m.

Clive
25-05-2012, 10:56
When you get your room sorted Mark and have a chance to re-evaluate the speaker/room interaction it may be worth worth noting that I can custom build these to any size within reason for you(practical maximum for me would be 1.2m by 1.2m for a single large panel) to suit your particular circumstances. Taller more slender units also possible for corner traps up to 1.8m by 0.3m.
A corner trap is of interest as it could replace the 3 cardboard boxes with spare 18inch drivers inside stacked in a corner with 3 foam tiles stuck to them.

One acoustic panel could be good too for first reflection use.

Marco
26-05-2012, 19:05
Thread-crapping bollocks removed...

Guilty parties, please read and DIGEST the warning below (as indeed you should've done before posting what's been removed):

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13935

I didn't write the above for the good of my health!

I do hope that I see no further thread-crapping here in future, otherwise some holidays will be getting handed out... We take a very hard line on this stuff. Jeez, you should know better :rolleyes:

Marco.

Reffc
29-05-2012, 14:34
Orders now being taken. Please PM me for your exact requirements and to arrange delivery.