PDA

View Full Version : Can you still buy a cheap linear psu anywhere?

Giubanix
16-05-2012, 16:20
I've been trying to replace all my switch mode adapters, since I seem to have accumulated quite a few recently. In the good old days, you could just nip into B&Q and buy a linear universal ac/dc adapter (heavy for it's size, ran too hot to touch).

Now that we're saving the planet, it seems to be almost impossible to find anything other than switching supplies. I forked out for upgraded linear supplies for my Squeezebox Touch and Graham Slee Novo, and decided, rather than buy an expensive supply for my Dacmagic Plus, I'd just upgrade the dac now rather than later, so I've replaced it with a Rega Dac.

I'd still like to replace the switch mode wall wart that came with the WD Elements HDD that is connected to my cheapskate PogoPlug/SqueezePlug/Nas.

Been trying to find a 12v linear adapter for a few weeks now with no success. The linear adapter that used to be mentioned on various forums - maplins VN10L - now seems to have been replaced with a switch mode version according to the Maplins website.

Just wondered if anybody has bought a cheap linear psu anywhere recently. It's not worth spending much just to replace the supply for the hard drive, but if there's some cheap option I've missed, I'd be grateful for a head's up. ;)

Val33
16-05-2012, 16:42
This any good? I believe the output is adjustable inside from 12-15v.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/13.8v-regulated-mains-power-units-231

Val

Giubanix
16-05-2012, 17:03
Thanks for that link, it looks like a bit of overkill for a external hdd though. I was obviously thinking of something more along the lines of a wall wart or a laptop type adapter.

If only NASA hadn't had their budget cut. We could have been well on the way to colonising Mars and could afford to let this planet suffocate in a haze of linear psu goodness. Damn those hippies. :rolleyes:

Reid Malenfant
16-05-2012, 17:53
Have a look on ebay, type "CB power supply" into search & you should get loads of results.

They are usually set to 13.8V, but most will have a small preset variable resistor internally, so it should be no problem adjusting it down to 12V DC :)

StanleyB
16-05-2012, 18:20

Jeez, since I mentioned the 3A version in a topic on AoS about a Caiman linear psu mod, that unit has rocketed in price by 50%. A similar situation happened when I mentioned their 5A smps as an upgrade for the TC-7510. It went from £19.99 to £34.99.

Giubanix
16-05-2012, 19:51
Have a look on ebay, type "CB power supply" into search & you should get loads of results.

They are usually set to 13.8V, but most will have a smal preset variable resistor internally, so it should be no problem adjusting it down to 12V DC :)

Thanks. I'll have a closer look at those or the Maplin's ones. Either that, or I guess I can put up with one smps for the hdd. I don't know if the v.2 Pogoplug I'm running squeezeplug on has a smps inside it. I couldn't find any info on it's power supply, but I'm not going to mess with it anyway.

electric beach
16-05-2012, 22:03

Val

I bought the 3 amp one to power a T-amp but I cant tell you how effective it is because I got the positive and negative reversed and blew up the chip :o

Now I'm too scared to make up a lead to try it again!

chrism
17-05-2012, 07:15
Jeez, since I mentioned the 3A version in a topic on AoS about a Caiman linear psu mod, that unit has rocketed in price by 50%. A similar situation happened when I mentioned their 5A smps as an upgrade for the TC-7510. It went from £199.99 to £34.99.

If that is the case can you try mentioning a pay rise for me.

Mark Grant
17-05-2012, 08:08
I bought the 3 amp one to power a T-amp but I cant tell you how effective it is because I got the positive and negative reversed and blew up the chip :o

Now I'm too scared to make up a lead to try it again!

You need a multimeter Steve :)
http://www.maplin.co.uk/home-and-diy/test-equipment/multimeters