PDA

View Full Version : Music On Vinyl visit by Hi -Fi World.

Audioman
15-05-2012, 14:02
Paul Rigby visits the MOV record pressing plant in this months Hi-Fi World. An interesting insight on how they manufacture and sources. This of course is the old Sony/CBS plant in Holland.

Most notable is that the LP's ar DMM. This uses a modern system that does not sound like the old DMM mastering that audiophiles complain about. From experience of their products I can agree with that. Actualy surprised they don't use laquers except for 12" 45 rpm.

Sources are discussed. They claim to use original analogue whenever they can and trust their record company contacts to supply the best source. Unfortunately they are happy to use high res if it sounds good and claim that their care in mastering is often an improvement over originals. I think in most cases the record companies (especialy Sony) have everything transfered to digital and original tapes are either lost or damaged.

It is also claimed 99% of people can't tell difference between hi-res to vinyl v all analogue. Only a few with Golden Ears. Well obviously I fall into that 1% cause I can hear a difference pretty much straight away. I think they underestimate many people's ability to tell the difference. The fact is many buying their product may have never heard a proper all analogue cut on a good system.

On the plus side I have always found their reissues of digitaly recorded material to be great and this plant has the most consistent pressing quality there is today. They have 4 people employed just on QC at all manufacturing stages.

MartinT
15-05-2012, 15:00
Thanks for that, Paul. I'll look it up.

On the subject of vinyl mastered from digital, there are always exceptions to the rule. Some Telarcs sound good as do others like Ry Cooder Bob Til You Drop, for instance.

Audioman
15-05-2012, 15:11
Thanks for that, Paul. I'll look it up.

On the subject of vinyl mastered from digital, there are always exceptions to the rule. Some Telarcs sound good as do others like Ry Cooder Bob Til You Drop, for instance.

Yes but those are digital recordings. Most people hate BTYD but I agree it is surprisingly good on vinyl. It's using high res transfers of old analogue recordings that is far from ideal. All the MOV Focus reissues are from high res sources. Being in Holland you would think they would have access to the original analogue masters ?

MartinT
15-05-2012, 17:03
Ok, so you're talking about digital remasterings of analogue originals, then pressed to vinyl? I'll have to think about what I have in my collection.

As for BTYD, I think it sounds fantastic, at least on my system. Vinyl, that is. The CD sounds rubbish!

oceanobsession
24-05-2012, 22:03
Have to agree with you martin, bop till you drop sounds great, have you heard
jazz by ry cooder, superb quality.

MartinT
24-05-2012, 22:07
have you heard jazz by ry cooder, superb quality.

Nope, I have 8 of his records but not that one. Will look it up, thanks.

DSJR
25-05-2012, 08:59
Unfortunately they are happy to use high res if it sounds good and claim that their care in mastering is often an improvement over originals. I think in most cases the record companies (especialy Sony) have everything transfered to digital and original tapes are either lost or damaged.

It is also claimed 99% of people can't tell difference between hi-res to vinyl v all analogue. Only a few with Golden Ears. Well obviously I fall into that 1% cause I can hear a difference pretty much straight away. I think they underestimate many people's ability to tell the difference. The fact is many buying their product may have never heard a proper all analogue cut on a good system.

Many of the old analogue tapes may well be unplayable now, as I don't know how many "baking sessions" they can withstand. Even some solidly made 60's tapes can shed badly and need to be treated with kid gloves. If you've ever heard a digital transfer compared to the original analogue, you'd realise that they sound all but identical and hi-res is more for any tweaking they have to do afterwards than anything else.

Do you still use 752's as playback speakers?

Audioman
25-05-2012, 19:26
Many of the old analogue tapes may well be unplayable now, as I don't know how many "baking sessions" they can withstand. Even some solidly made 60's tapes can shed badly and need to be treated with kid gloves. If you've ever heard a digital transfer compared to the original analogue, you'd realise that they sound all but identical and hi-res is more for any tweaking they have to do afterwards than anything else.

I always thought the flaking problem applied to certain types of tape post 1974. I do suspect that it is just more conveniant and secure to make digital copies as the production source. Just worries me that perfectly good tapes have been destroyed. Also stories of baking perfectly good tape stock abound due to ignorance of some modern engineers.

Anyway in answer to your question about hi-res sourced lp sounding different than a pure analogue original I would generaly say yes. However mastering choices also come into the equation to muddy the waters. Focus Moving Waves sounds less natural on MOV than an original but this could be partly due to DMM. The recent Court Of The Crimson King (probably high res source) sounds as good as an original. (This was cut at Loud Mastering).

Do you still use 752's as playback speakers?

Yes.

AudiOH!
10-06-2012, 19:10
Paul Rigby visits the MOV record pressing plant in this months Hi-Fi World. An interesting insight on how they manufacture and sources. This of course is the old Sony/CBS plant in Holland.

.....and this plant has the most consistent pressing quality there is today. They have 4 people employed just on QC at all manufacturing stages.

Oh, really?

http://qualityrecordpressings.com/

Les

Audioman
10-06-2012, 19:28
Oh, really?

http://qualityrecordpressings.com/:)

Les

Your link doesn't work. Jury's still out on Quality Records as some early pressings suffered from dishing. Not talking about ultimate SQ which I have no doubt QRP are able to provide.

MartinT
10-06-2012, 21:36
I've fixed the link.

daytona600
11-06-2012, 02:33
read about there comment on digital delay for the cutting head due to cost of a analogue delay , even if analogue master is used it is converted to digital not quite AAA but more DAA , labels keep this very hush hush
some very nice vinyl out recently , some not so good , but pure analogue first pressings are mostly very old these days

Audioman
11-06-2012, 07:01
read about there comment on digital delay for the cutting head due to cost of a analogue delay , even if analogue master is used it is converted to digital not quite AAA but more DAA , labels keep this very hush hush
some very nice vinyl out recently , some not so good , but pure analogue first pressings are mostly very old these days

There are now a number of mastering studios using an all analogue cutting chain including Bernie Grundman (BG, CB), Cohearant (KG), Sterling, Air (Ray Staff) Cohearant, Emil Berliner (Speakers Corner). Mainly reissues but some new releases.

sq225917
11-06-2012, 07:15
Several studios use a 'read-ahead head' modified deck with an extra read head to drive the track width control. There's quite a few of these in use now in place of digital delays. There was an article in one of the US trade mags just after xmas to that effect.