PDA

View Full Version : Hi

dr.jones
15-05-2012, 10:20
Just a quick post to say hello! :cool:

I'm a member of a few other forums and been a lurker here for a while but thought it time to register and say hello.

My music background is more of a club/DJ background originally - started out on 1210's in the bedroom 15 years ago, moved into doing small venues and the odd club night for a bit of extra cash, still did my day job in IT though!

Always stuck with the DJ'ing, still have those original 1210's but have gone through all sorts of other equipment since. Sound quality always interested me and after hearing so many DJ's driving amps into clipping, over eq'ing, using worn records, knackered needles etc I always seemed to get decent feedback for the sound I was making and made sure everything was decent and set up correctly or I wouldn't DJ. This rubbed off into wanting a decent sound at home and my hi-fi interest was born!

Had all sorts of amps/CDP/digital sources and always stuck with Technics for the vinyl as I know them so well. Always been tempted to mod a 1210 for better SQ but so far haven't.

Currently still do the odd bit of DJ'ing work although not very often now I have 2 young children- now use a laptop configured for DJ use only so nothing un-needed running/MP3's on USB3 drive/vestax DCI-300mk2 DJ controller/Serato itch software and effects now tho so no dragging boxes of heavy vinyl around unless it's something "special"!

I'm a box hoarder rather than swapper. Own something like 6 amps ranging from a cheap Cambridge Audio A5, through to AVI lab series int and my current Puresound A30 that's in my main system. I've just stuck a Technics SU-A900DM2pre/power on ebay too as I feel I should empty my loft of unused equipment!!

Current source is a Squeezebox Touch and a Pioneer Blu-Ray/SACD into a Musical Fidelity M1 DAC. Speakers are Monitor Audio S6's that I've had years as my kids have a current obsession with poking the drivers, pulling the grills or putting toy cars into the ports :stalks: When we move or they get a little older they're the first thing I'm changing but for now I daren't! I also have a small system in my garage, and one in the bedroom, plus bit of kit packed away in the loft!

Music interests range from Electro/Dance/Drm n Bass through to classical compositions, chillout, indie, rock. You name it and I'll listen to it (even if its only once) my tastes are very eclectic and changes depending on mood.

Other interests, motorbikes, trackdays and mountainbikes, plus gadgets!! ha

So, enough boring you, thats me!

Spectral Morn
15-05-2012, 15:34
Welcome to AOS Gaz

realysm42
15-05-2012, 18:05
:yesbruv:

Reid Malenfant
15-05-2012, 19:05
Hi Gaz, welcome to AoS from me as well :) Looks like we only need Marco to pop in here & we'll have all the D 'n' B crew saying hi :lol:

Well he does occasionaly so he says :D

Bests to you & I hope you enjoy your stay here!

MartinT
16-05-2012, 07:53
Hi Gaz and welcome to AoS. Go to the Touch threads to see what some of us have been doing with them. Another Techie user is always welcome :)

Giubanix
16-05-2012, 09:40
Hello Gaz,

I've also recently started using a Touch. Currently ripping all my cds to a hard drive and using a v.2 Pogoplug (the pink ones) with Debian Squeezeplug installed on it as a server.

I now have the Touch linked to a Rega Dac, which I just bought yesterday, so haven't had a lot of time to listen yet. Initial impressions are very good - now I just need to get over the shock of spending yet more money. :doh:

dr.jones
16-05-2012, 11:12
Thanks for the welcome guys. :)
I've got a SB Touch and the older SB3 in a bedroom system, currently use iPeng/Squeemote or the logitech app to control them off iPad2 or iPhones.

The SBT currently has the touch toolbox 3 installed and enhanced digital output plugin by Triode running with digital output only enabled. Outputs into my M1 DAC and sounds good. I do re-enable the volume control as my Puresound A30 amp has no remote so for easy(lazy) listening it saves me getting up and down all the time!

Recently started to try spotify but seem to be having the touch freeze occasionally using it so need to look into sorting that too.

amptastic
16-05-2012, 16:01
Hi buddy, welcome to AoS. Hope you enjoy your time on the forum!
Chris

Alex_UK
17-05-2012, 19:30
Hi Gaz, welcome from me too. A lot in common - ex-DJ, work in IT, little 'un (2nd due next month) and a biker, too - watcha got? (Still on my ancient ZX6R Kawasaki.) Mountain bikes not so much these days as I've got fat and old... but always full of good intentions! :lol:

Oh, and I guess your forum name is because you're a big Aqua fan?! :lol: ;)

Anyway, hope you enjoy the forum. :)

Marco
17-05-2012, 19:38
Hi Gaz,

Welcome to AoS - hope you like it here! :)

Looks like we only need Marco to pop in here & we'll have all the D 'n' B crew saying hi

Well he does occasionaly so he says...

If I had a scooby-doo what you were on about, daftee, I'd be very worried!! :D

Marco.