PDA

View Full Version : Walton 'Cello Concerto

keiths
14-05-2012, 15:55
Having just watched the final of Young Musician on iPlayer, I feel I need to get a recording of William Walton's 'Cello Concerto. Any recommendations?

Tim
14-05-2012, 18:19
Goodness Kieth, that's a tricky one as there are many great recordings - I guess Martin and the others will be able to advise better than me, but I have two, one not that renowned but I love it as its signed by the artist, but I think the Yo Yo Ma and Previn, LSO is a very good buy, as you get the Elgar Cello Concerto too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cello-Concerto-Elgar-Walton-Previn/dp/B00000260Z/ref=sr_1_8?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1337019449&sr=1-8

Anyway, my knowledge is limited, so wait till the big guns arrive ;)

keiths
14-05-2012, 18:33
Thanks for that Tim - I've not heard Yo-Yo Ma's Elgar (though I've got at least half-a-dozen versions of that work including Du Pré (x2), Tortelier, Casals and my favourite one by Steven Isserlis), so that one may well be worth me getting.

Cheers,

Tim
14-05-2012, 19:23
Funnily enough the other Walton Cello I have is by Paul Tortelier, who I saw play it with the BSO (my local orchestra).
He signed it after the show which was an earlier recording he made with the same orchestra - it makes the recording a little more personal. I think I prefer the pace of the Yo Yo Ma recording however and Previn and Ma sound good together. I believe its well regarded in the Penguin Guide too. . . . I think I shall have to play it now ;)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61mSG8hB8QL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

julesd68
14-05-2012, 20:08
I thought the performance the girl gave on Young Musician was nothing short of staggering - had me totally gripped ...

Was the first time I have head the Walton and I'd like to buy the Tortelier on vinyl - gets a top review in my Penguin Guide. Only thing that puts me off is the £25-£40 price tag!

snuffbox
14-05-2012, 20:41
I thought the performance the girl gave on Young Musician was nothing short of staggering - had me totally gripped ...

Was the first time I have head the Walton and I'd like to buy the Tortelier on vinyl - gets a top review in my Penguin Guide. Only thing that puts me off is the £25-£40 price tag!

Well worth it though,you'll be enjoying it long after you've forgotten how much you paid for it.

morris_minor
15-05-2012, 07:48
I've been beaten to it for recommendations of Yo Yo Ma and Paul Tortelier! My other recording of the Walton is from Lynn Harrell with Simon Rattle/CBSO on EMI. This is coupled with Walton's 1st Symphony (though not the best performance of this IMO - I'm obsessed with this, having about 25 recordings of it - Previn's 1966 still leads the pack for me on this).

However, Ma or Tortellier would make a good choice for the Cello Concerto. And yes, that young lady was fantastic. Hopefully a label will record her Walton . .

morris_minor
15-05-2012, 08:00
There's also this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51bwD03p4tL.jpg

Piatigorsky commissioned the concerto and it's dedicated to him. The recording was made shortly after the first performance.

Only £5.97 from that nice Mr Amazon . . .

julesd68
15-05-2012, 08:26
I thought I would look for a live performance of the Walton, so I had a look at bachtrack.com to find one. Not a single performance listed anywhere! Very surprising for such a fine piece of music.

keiths
15-05-2012, 10:02
Thanks all - I will need to make a decision soon methinks.

Tim
15-05-2012, 17:52
Thanks all - I will need to make a decision soon methinks.
;) yup, quite a bit of choice here.... let us know which one you pick?