PDA

View Full Version : Arjen Tamp

John
13-05-2012, 10:48
I tried the TA2020 but in my system did not have enough power to do realistic rock, yet I was very impressed with how well it managed more acoustic based music
I have had the opportunity to try the Arjen board it uses the the same chip but the board has been modified
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-MKIII-Tripath-TA2020-PCB-25watt-Class-T-amplifier-/261017783767?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Amplifiers&hash=item3cc5df4dd7
Results are intially very good so far and seems to suit my speakers really well
No issues with complex rock music

electric beach
15-05-2012, 06:03
I tried the TA2020 but in my system did not have enough power to do realistic rock, yet I was very impressed with how well it managed more acoustic based music
I have had the opportunity to try the Arjen board it uses the the same chip but the board has been modified
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-MKIII-Tripath-TA2020-PCB-25watt-Class-T-amplifier-/261017783767?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Amplifiers&hash=item3cc5df4dd7
Results are intially very good so far and seems to suit my speakers really well
No issues with complex rock music

Now that's more than a little interesting John. Two questions: what do you estimate the total cost finished was and does it have a more weighty sound than other 2020 variants that you've tried?

John
15-05-2012, 15:42
It works well in my system but think with your drivers would be a bit forward I think you probarly have the right balance already Steve
Lots of energy dynamics and detail

Clive
15-05-2012, 15:54
Steve, you'll find the TempleAudio Bantam Gold (not a 2020) a little richer sounding than the Arjen. For John's speakers the 2020 amps should be an ideal sonic match as long as power is ok. I'm finding that Topping & Arjen plus Bantam Gold paint their sonic picture with a fine paint brush whereas as my 300B SETs use a thicker brush, not quite Rolf Harris style but more substance and less detailed - imaging is better too. Both amp types have theirs pluses.

electric beach
15-05-2012, 18:27
I did try the Bantam Monoblocks for a few weeks but they just didn't have synergy at all, sounded like I'd thrown velvet curtains over the speakers. I have a spud set AMP for comparison which the Mini-T is very similar to in many ways (and better in quite a few) but exchanges the poise and refinement for a large dose of fun factor. My modded Yaqin KT88 beast has all the weight, authority and lushness you could wish for but I've now heard better speed and transparency.

I've got it all - it's just not in one box :lol:

Clive
15-05-2012, 18:38
It's balancing act for sure! IIRC your preamp is a little vintage sounding, hence the differnt effects between your and my system?

Clive
15-05-2012, 18:47
I should add that I find the Topping TP20 makes all music sound fast and exciting but is Leonard Cohen meant to sound like that? The Arjen is far more balanced.

electric beach
15-05-2012, 20:24
I should add that I find the Topping TP20 makes all music sound fast and exciting but is Leonard Cohen meant to sound like that? The Arjen is far more balanced.

:lol: I don't think he expects to do anything fast these days! But I'm sure that life is more exciting than he ever expected it to be by now.

I'm looking forward to a comparison with John in the coming weeks. I don't know how else to describe it, I just wish the Mini-T version of 2020 had a little more tonal warmth, it can be quite magical but in a clinical way.

I'm sure you're right about the difference from preamps. Actually I've been trying driving both the SET and the T-amp directly from the Squeezebox Touch volume control, which has shown that I'm losing quite a bit of bass drive and transparency in exchange for the tonal and soundstage benefits that my particular preamp brings ( a Mapletree Audio Line 2A SE).

I've also tried taking the sub feed directly from the DAC (as it has two outputs), which was an education. Need to evaluate this some more.

camtwister
15-05-2012, 20:31
I just wish the Mini-T version of 2020 had a little more tonal warmth, it can be quite magical but in a clinical way.

Steve, this is my experience also.

Clive
15-05-2012, 20:36
I don't know how different the Topping is from yout T-amp, the Arjen is less cool and has some extra magic but it does have a trace of brightness in the upper-mid, which I think is fine with John's speakers but not mine. The Arjen does possess something special in the mid. Power supply quality makes a monumental difference and does remove some brightness (linear ps).

John
16-05-2012, 04:41
I can see where Clive coming from around his coments about the mid at present I am just ysing the volume control from the amp and it works really well for most music on my sysytem but every now and again I think adding a preamp to the stage would calm down the mid
Its all about system synergy and at this level it is hard to get right

Clive
16-05-2012, 08:23
I want to clarify for any lurkers reading this thread that what what we are commenting on is the use of T-amps, in this case an Argen from Helder Hi-Fi, used in a primary system with high efficiency speakers. This is not about these amps in secondary or kitchen systems used with 88 to 90 db efficiency speakers. It's about how these amps compare to some very good amps when you are only using the first couple of watts.

John
16-05-2012, 16:19
+1 high efficecy speakers allow you to get the best out of these amps
If you want to keep costs down and yet have a very high performing system high efficency drivers would be the way I would recommend

John
19-05-2012, 13:59
The Arjen is really revealling
When using a decent DAC found guitars sounded a bit harsh changing silver to copper cables and balance is right

Clive
19-05-2012, 15:54
The Arjen is really revealling
When using a decent DAC found guitars sounded a bit harsh changing silver to copper cables and balance is right
Yup, I did the same or similar anyway. I'm back with copper and carbon i/cs. When you can hear every change you become very specific about what's best.