PDA

View Full Version : Horning Agathon Ultimates

Reffc
12-05-2012, 22:10
Having a radical re-working of the system, and having to bow to domestic pressure to downsize the speakers, so its with a heavy heart (and I can't quite believe I'm doing this) that my Horning Agathon Ultimates are up for sale. These are the very latest and greatest of the Agathons and bear no relationship to earlier models.

They are a true full range loudspeaker of epic proportions and dynamic scale. The only loudspeaker I've ever heard that can do justice to every music genre with massive scale, be that deep organ notes, full orchestra, close mic's acoustic, jazz....you name it...they sound so utterly convincing and uncoloured with just about everything.

66Kg per speaker, standing around 1.2m tall, 450 deep and about 380 wide. Pictures on my gallery thread. Only takes 5w upwards to drive them, but best with around 40 watts for control of the rear facing twin 12 inch short throw woofers.

they use the £1500 Lowther DX4 unit up front modified (whizzer cone removed and damping plug installed) which only operate in the mid band and don;t exhibit any of thhe typical Lowther honk. Treble is the acclaimed Tommy Horning Lotus Tweeter used on all his high end speakers.

Finish is solid birch ply, 3/4 inch thick and heavily braced with internal folded horn exiting at base (not fussy on positioning and even like corner placement!) This is veneered sides and top with Red Cherry and corners are made with solid red cherry.

They are 3 years old and cost £10,750 new, being only one of a small handful of pairs sold in the UK (USA high end market is the main one for these).

Asking £4K ono which is a very fair price. Perhaps the finest loudspeaker I've ever heard let alone owned. Pick up only due to weight and size and you'll need a large estate car or small van plus two people to unload, and preferably a sack trolley for ease of transporting to their new home.

Condition is unmarked, and absolutely as new. Pristine in every sense.

A rare bargain and hardly ever available. Serious enquiries only please.

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/24pacman/Hifi/IMG_5030.jpg

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/24pacman/Hifi/IMG_5031.jpg

stupinder
12-05-2012, 22:15
nooooooooo
Good luck with the sale, Paul I know this must be a really difficult sale for you - i know you love this speakers!!

Reffc
13-05-2012, 07:11
nooooooooo
Good luck with the sale, Paul I know this must be a really difficult sale for you - i know you love this speakers!!

Cheers Stu, yes, a very regrettable sale. These are as good as hifi speakers get IMHO and a rare find, but unfortunately, needs must!