PDA

View Full Version : I need some new stands

fraser.
07-01-2009, 18:41
Hello! I'm experimenting (again) with speakers... i've been using some heaily modified TDL RTL2s for ages now and i do like the sound, but want to see if i can do better. I got these today:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/fraser1985/DSCN0844.jpg

They are bigger than they look there, and a lot bloody heavier! As you can see from the photos they aren't placed quite optimally yet :eyebrows:

The only stands i have just now are big tall aticama ones which won't even hold these up, i'm looking for a squat, wide stand, maybe 25cm? Not sure where to start... would a massive concrete block do the job?

As a side note- you forgot how big a difference speakers make- fiddling with cartridges etc is all very well- but the difference in presentation of music from one speaker to the next is amazing!

Steve Toy
07-01-2009, 18:46
A speaker change is usually more a change of noise than of music. Glad you are enjoying your new speakers though.

fraser.
07-01-2009, 18:51
what do you mean mate :scratch:

Filterlab
07-01-2009, 19:44
I think what Steve means is that the fastest way to change the presentation of a system is to change the loudspeakers. Whilst a system sounds different it may not necessarily sound better as such. However, that's not to say of course that different loudspeakers won't sound better; if they're simply better quality and/or more suited to the source/amp/room then there will be significant improvements. It's worth bearing in mind that whilst the sound may be 'new' it will take a little time to reveal as to whether it is actually better, however it's your system and your ears and if it's better then enjoy!

I've had shocks in the past when changing speakers, my last change was ditching some £3500 electrostats and replacing them with £2000 stand mounted dynamics. Any sane individual would say 'no way can that be an improvement', but it was, a big improvement, vast in fact! :)

Stands wise, you could search eBay for some Atacama SE12s, SE16s, SE20s or SE24s, they're super solid especially when filled with concrete. As they're a single pillar design they are incredibly strong.

http://www.savantaudio.com/ATASESER.JPG

fraser.
07-01-2009, 19:56
I agree with all those points, i'm planning on comparing both pairs for a few weeks at least to see which i prefer... but it's difficult to compare properly when these ones are sitting on some hollow little speakers :lol:

I'm very wary of preferring 'new' equipment by default as i've regretted a few swaps in the past... But these are are immediately impressive to me because there are things in songs, apparantly quite forward in the mix on occasion- which i genuinely had no idea were there after several years of listening! I've lifted the veil before but never such a dirty heavy one:lolsign:

BTW my stands are atacama SE24s- much too tall for these i think!

Filterlab
07-01-2009, 20:04
It sounds like your new speakers hit just the right button, that's exactly how my swap was too. :)

Have a scan on eBay for some shorter Atacama SE stands, the 16s and 12s come up from time to time, alternatively get your saw and welder out and "modify" yours. ;)

aquapiranha
07-01-2009, 22:36
I also recommend Atacama SE range. I have used the SE24 and they were a great fuss free stable and (once sand filled) very solid. I am sure you could pick up a suitable pair from the likes of ebay.

Steve Toy
08-01-2009, 02:36
Sorry for the brevity of my post above - I was at work and it was from my phone. To elaborate, Rob is correct when he states that a change of speakers is more a change of presentation than of musical substance. However, a decent stand filled with stand will enable your speakers to do their job properly. I used Atacama SE24s filled with yellow kiln-dried sand years ago and was pleased with the results.

fraser.
08-01-2009, 11:46
No apology needed,.. I have the SE24s with me just now, filled with 10k of atabites each... they are very solid but much too tall - the tweeters are above my head! I'll keep my eyes peeled for a wee pair to do the job

Marco
08-01-2009, 13:28
However, a decent stand filled with stand...

Interesting, Steve. Can you elaborate on that, too? Does it involve the coupling or decoupling method, or is it an amalgamation of both? :lol:

Marco.

P.S And that's without your phone! I guess the fast-approching big 'four-o' is having a funny wee effect on yer napper ;)

Filterlab
08-01-2009, 13:41
Interesting, Steve. Can you elaborate on that, too? Does it involve the coupling or decoupling method, or is it an amalgamation of both? :lol:

Ahh, I see a small 'speeling eroor' there. ;)

Marco
08-01-2009, 16:27
Where? I think you might want to check on that ;)

Marco.

fraser.
10-01-2009, 13:19
I'm keen on getting the SE12s but in the meantime here's my beautiful stand in stands:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/fraser1985/DSCN0857.jpg

breezeblocks.. have some spare if you like the look these give, very homely

Filterlab
10-01-2009, 13:21
Crikey, that's a stand. However I have solid concrete blocks underneath my speaker stands so I'm one to talk. I take it you're not married then? :)

How is the sound affected, better, worse or indifferent?

fraser.
10-01-2009, 13:41
LOL no... although my girlfriend wasn't too impressed either.

In some ways they are a definite improvement, there was a big problem with soundstage before, i'm not obsessed with that but it was a worry just having a wall of sound- very different presentation from the TDLs.. That's cleared up a lot and everything's much more defined now. Some of this might just be down to raising the height of the speakers i guess..

However i still have a problem with the bass, it's not as defined as i like- at the moment i'm blaming this mostly down to how they are sitting- i have no cones or spikes spare and the blocks aren't ideal- tomorrow i will put the blocks on the floor and put the granite slabs on top of them- and then add some cones to the speakers and take it from there.

I also experimented with different toe-ins, which seems to make a much bigger change than it did with the TDLs... i think i've now got the types of speaker which need to be positioned exactly right to sound their best. Listening position also seems critical- if you don't sit in the middle everything sounds a bit wonky but in the right spot they continue to amaze me. I never realy considered SONY as a potential speaker upgrade but my fetish for 80s gear drew me in again :lol:

I used loads of test tracks for this but the most revealing were 'son of a preacher man' and some norah jones stuff. Things got a bit cloudy when the positioning was off, especially the complex parts of 'don't know why', and the dusty spingfield track just took on a different level when everything was set up better.