PDA

View Full Version : Just got me a REL

Jac Hawk
11-05-2012, 14:26
Yup at last proper gut wrenching Bass, Ok the REL I've got isn't that big a Q50 to be precise, a single 12" cone, no reflex porting and a modest 50 watt RMS amp, but my lounge is small and I've got a pair of Mordaunt Short MS45Ti's as my main speakers, so for music at least not really needed.

When I 1st plugged it in and fired it up it took a while to get it properly integrated into the system, but after a full morning of tweaking it sounds sweet, TBH though you would swear all the bass is coming from the main speakers, which is how it's meant to be;), Ive tried it out with a whole host of music and movies and the sound makes my sofa vibrate, just awesome:)

As a side note I bout it off Ebay for £44 so a bargain, and the bloke i got it off is a bit of a hifi nut, a wammer and we had a long chat about Scalford 2012 and stuff, a really nice guy, told him he should check out AOS, so you never know, anyway here's the new addition in situ, apparently they are meant to sound better firing at a wall, but i found this way was better for my setup.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb371/jachawk9000/Scalford%202012/IMAG0161.jpg

synsei
11-05-2012, 14:33
Aaw lookit, a baby REL!!! It's sooo cute... :D Just kidding bud, a mate of mine has one and it goes down real loooow, Gratz ;)

Puffin
11-05-2012, 16:22
The original REL QBass had a BK 12" drive unit and a BK amp. Not that that is a problem, just surprising. I have 200W BK sub that is wonderful.

RichB
11-05-2012, 16:33
Mike the bargain hunter stikes again! Good work

Jac Hawk
11-05-2012, 16:42
Mike the bargain hunter stikes again! Good work

£44 is loads compared to my last sub Rich, a Yamaha SW100 which cost me £1 :eyebrows:

Beechwoods
11-05-2012, 16:49
It's premium stuff though Mike. I'm jealous!

Reid Malenfant
11-05-2012, 19:56
£44 is loads compared to my last sub Rich, a Yamaha SW100 which cost me £1 :eyebrows:
Still a bargain Mike. The driver would probably cost that new & that's forgetting the amp, other circuitry, enclosure etc.

I think I'd rather pay £44 for a REL than be given the SW100 :eyebrows:

At least it's not a pretender :cool:

Well done that man!

Jac Hawk
11-05-2012, 20:19
Still a bargain Mike. The driver would probably cost that new & that's forgetting the amp, other circuitry, enclosure etc.

I think I'd rather pay £44 for a REL than be given the SW100 :eyebrows:

At least it's not a pretender :cool:

Well done that man!

Don't get me wrong mate i'm over the moon, i got it on a second chance offer, the guy that won the auction didn't read that it was collection only, to be honest I don't think I would have posted it either, it weighs a bloody tonne :eek: sound wise though it took a bit of tweaking, but it was worth it, the bass is well controlled so not to sound flabby and is deep enough to get yer teeth rattling, i'm chuffed to bits, plus the guy who i bought it from was really nice and I probably met him at scalford too, what a small world

Spectral Morn
11-05-2012, 20:41
Fantastic subs Rel, I use a rather battered Q200E in my home cinema set up, that I also picked up cheap a number of years ago.

Alex_UK
12-05-2012, 21:10
£44 Mike - brilliant - part of CAC 2013?;)

colinB
12-05-2012, 21:25
Nice buy Mike. Rel make great subs though ive no idea why they recommend corner room placement. In my experience that doesnt work.

Reid Malenfant
12-05-2012, 21:32
Rel make great subs though ive no idea why they recommend corner room placement. In my experience that doesnt work.
It can, but the speaker & enclosure combined need to have a very low Q. The idea is that as the frequency goes lower & the speaker response drops off the reinforcement from the corner boosts things to a flat response.

It can work, but you really need to have the sub producing frequencies that are lower than the lowest room mode :eyebrows: Not an easy thing to achieve...

In my 4 x 4M room that would be below 40Hz.

You'd want the sub to roll off at about 4 - 6Db per octave below the lowest room mode as that should render a pretty flat output

colinB
12-05-2012, 21:55
Cheers dude for that clarification.

Jac Hawk
12-05-2012, 22:04
£44 Mike - brilliant - part of CAC 2013?;)

You never know, maybe if i do a 5.1 system:eyebrows:

The Grand Wazoo
12-05-2012, 23:39
Well done Mike - a fine deal if ever there was one.
Personally, I'm still wandering around the house muttering "£5.50! £5.50! £5.50!" which was the price I paid for a pair of big old AR 44 BX standmounters the other week. They've become my new headphones, sitting either side of my desk, squirting sounds into my ears from about two and a half feet away.

Macca
13-05-2012, 08:51
You never know, maybe if i do a 5.1 system:eyebrows:

I've got some Gale surrounds and a centre speaker you can have for a nominal £1:eyebrows: In original packaging too...

SpeakToTheHand
24-07-2012, 13:17
Yup at last proper gut wrenching Bass, Ok the REL I've got isn't that big a Q50 to be precise, a single 12" cone, no reflex porting and a modest 50 watt RMS amp, but my lounge is small and I've got a pair of Mordaunt Short MS45Ti's as my main speakers, so for music at least not really needed.

A 12" driver, non ported box, 50watt RMS amp and built with quality is a bargain at that price.

As it's got a few years on it it will be well run in and working well but I'd recommend rotating the driver to allow for some sag.

Cheers

DSJR
24-07-2012, 20:19
There are REL's and there are REL's. The Q50 isn't one of their best IIRC. Think boom bang a bang, rather than a deep tuneful augmentation of bass notes..

nat8808
25-07-2012, 15:16
The old Audio Pro 412 or whatever the number is can be found sometimes for around the same.

I've a Rel QBass that I found on thrown out - not tried powering it up yet (feel it needs opening up and sniffing before I do - to find burnt out things rather than for pleasure!). Is that the same as the Q50?

icehockeyboy
08-05-2013, 11:43
There are REL's and there are REL's. The Q50 isn't one of their best IIRC. Think boom bang a bang, rather than a deep tuneful augmentation of bass notes..

Come on David, give Mike his moment of happiness! :)