PDA

View Full Version : Hello from drought free Scotland

Giubanix
11-05-2012, 10:35
Just registered on the forum yesterday, though I've been visiting for a while now.

I'm Ian, and I've been into hi-fi since my schooldays in the good old 1970's (I'm old enough now to no longer hear that high frequency detail that people keep going on about).

I must admit that when it comes to high end gear, I've only really been able to afford to look at pictures of it, rather than actually buy the stuff. Probably the best equipment I've actually owned is a Cyrus Straight Line amp and Cyrus daD1 cd player. The amp is still in a cupboard somewhere, the cd player only recently went to the big laser graveyard in the sky.

I'm currently trying to simplify things by ripping all my cds and using a Squeezebox Touch with (at the moment) a CA Dacmagic Plus, but if the Touch is going to be my main source from now on, I probably want to look at a dac upgrade at some time in the near future. I'm going to be sticking with my AE109s for the time being. They're really a bit too big for the room I'm using them in, but I'm pretty happy with the way they sound, even though they're so far out from the wall in such a small room that I feel like I've got to take a detour around one of them to get out the door.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi to everyone, and I look forward to spending a lot more time here in the future.

RichB
11-05-2012, 12:24
Hi and welcome fellow CD ripper from the equally soggy north east of england!... I've recently done over 500 and I've now moved onto my vinyls... a much bigger job.

Do tell us what your music tastes are.

Puffin
11-05-2012, 13:48
Ian Paisley, well.... we are in exalted company:D

Welcome.

Giubanix
11-05-2012, 13:55
Do tell us what your music tastes are.

Sorry, knew there was something I'd forgotten to mention...

I tend to listen mostly to classical at the moment, but still like to stick on a bit of rock too. You never really lose interest in where your musical journey began do you? Being at secondary school in the early 70's and being part of the "too cool for Top of the Pops" gang, we all liked Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Hawkwind etc. etc.

Nowadays, I can get equally excited about Beethoven or Mozart. I've recently been investigating some lesser known composers like Stenhammar and Gade. Just when I thought my shelves were more than sufficiently full, I've discovered another cabinet's worth of music to buy.

Still got some LP's too (all those rock albums with nice sleeves that just aren't the same when reduced to a flimsy square of paper in a plastic cd case). I have a Rega RP1 for an occasional spin of those.

Marco
11-05-2012, 17:34
Hi Ian,

Welcome to AoS! :)

I used to live near Barshaw Park, just off of Hawkhead Road. I also used to work in Arnotts department store, during the 80s and early 90s, in various areas of retail.

Shame it's no longer there now...

Anyway, it's good to have another Scot here, so get stuck in, ma man, and enjoy yersel'! :cool:

Marco.

Giubanix
11-05-2012, 17:39
Anyway, it's good to have another Scot here, so get stuck in, ma man, and enjoy yersel'!

Marco.

Thanks Marco.

Marco
11-05-2012, 18:15
No worries, mate. Have you lived in Paisley long? :)

Marco.

Giubanix
11-05-2012, 18:41
No worries, mate. Have you lived in Paisley long? :)

Marco.

53 years and 7 months, unfortunately.

Ooops... Think I may just have given away my age.

Reid Malenfant
11-05-2012, 18:52
Hi Ian, a warm welcome from me to! :) Glad to see you took the plunge, now it didn't hurt did it? :eyebrows:

Hope you enjoy your stay here, all the best & have a pleasant weekend :cool:

The Grand Wazoo
11-05-2012, 19:52
Hi Ian,
Welcome to AoS from me too.

jazzpiano
11-05-2012, 20:03
Warm Welcome Ian,

Nice intro. How is that Cyrus stuff? - Don't see it much 'round here. I don't know if it's so much that I can't hear those high freq's anymore - which I can't, mostly, or that as I get older I don't tolerate them as well - Especially if hi-lighted?...

Best,
Barry

Giubanix
11-05-2012, 20:33
Warm Welcome Ian,

Nice intro. How is that Cyrus stuff? - Don't see it much 'round here. I don't know if it's so much that I can't hear those high freq's anymore - which I can't, mostly, or that as I get older I don't tolerate them as well - Especially if hi-lighted?...

Best,
Barry

I only ever used the Cyrus amp and cd with the AE109's, and the combination sounded pretty smooth, with a good weight to the bass and certainly not bright at all. TBH, I probably never got the best out of that setup, since The speakers weren't (still aren't) suitable for the small room they're in. I just got carried away and bought them without taking that into consideration, or maybe I thought I could work around it, can't really remember, it was so long ago now.

Spectral Morn
11-05-2012, 20:37
welcome to AOS Ian :)

I love Scotland

Marco
11-05-2012, 21:42
53 years and 7 months, unfortunately.

Ooops... Think I may just have given away my age.

Lol - I enjoyed my time living in Paisley. I also used to go to school in St Mirin St Margaret's, on Renfew Road, and my dad and uncle owned a chippy in Netherhill Rd, in Gallowhill (where the wee group of shops are). Although I was born in Scotland, all my family are Italian.

You should be familiar with all the places I've mentioned :)

Marco.

wee tee cee
13-05-2012, 00:37
Welcome Ian, I thought the sun always shone in Paisley.....
Regards Tony.

Marco
13-05-2012, 07:59
Gerry Rafferty's home town :)

Marco.