PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Australia

crashden
10-05-2012, 01:44
Hi all,

My name is Cameron (Cam will more than do) from Sydney Australia.

I’ve only recently been bitten by a vinyl/vintage audio bug thanks mainly to a neighbour with a great record collection and willingness to share it around.

System wise it is very very modest and so far has cost me the grand total of $150AUD (including parts to fix it all up) and comprises:

Dual 1209 – wasn’t working when I got it but a simple strip down and lube has got it working nicely. It came with a Shure M91ED cartridge and I’ve fitted a generic elliptical stylus.

Pioneer PL-71 – I’ve only just acquired this and unfortunately its not working thread here.
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17758
To me this is a beautiful looking piece of gear and I’m desperate to get her going again

Sansui AU-101 – Got this for free and it works perfectly, I’ve cleaned the pots/switches put on new binding posts and repainted the rusted top cover. I love this little amp.

Yamaha CA-700 – Got this cheap and in near mint condition, I love its look and timber case but unfortunately I’m not quite taken by its sound (compared to the Sansui). There is something not quite right with one of the phono inputs and I’ll recap it at some point which will hopefully get it singing as good as it looks.

B&W DM110 – Again picked these up cheap, there are in great condition and suit my needs and room at the moment.

Music, I have massively varied tastes and can move from Soundgarden one day to Al Green the next, although I tend to have quiet specific tastes when it comes to vinyl and will only hunt down albums that I really deem worthy of turntable time. A good snapshot is the five albums next to the turntable right now.

• AWB – Self titled
• Tim Buckley – Greetings from LA (current favourite)
• Bob Marley – Kaya
• Rolling Stones – Made in the Shade
• Sly and the Family Stone - Fresh

Cheers, Cam

pete_mac
10-05-2012, 01:55
Welcome Cam from another Sydneysider!

Nice work regarding the free AU-101. They are a very nice sounding little amp. I've got a recapped/restored one in my collection and it sounds very good.

Enjoy!

MartinT
10-05-2012, 12:56
Hello Cam and welcome to AoS. Shame about the PL-71 but it's well worth putting the effort in to get it working again.

synsei
10-05-2012, 17:30
A warm Pommy welcome to you Cam. Pull up a chair mate and settle right in... :D

The Grand Wazoo
10-05-2012, 20:07
Hi Cam,
Welcome - thanks for a great intro post.
I once had a pair of those DM110's jeez they went loud with almost no power!

crashden
11-05-2012, 00:29
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome,

Pete, it sure is nice being a Sydneysider given the weather we’ve had the past few days, Magic.
I don’t have a lot comparative experience but I’m amazed at how such a simple little amp (there hardly anything inside it) can produce such a nice sound. A recap for the 101 is on the to-do list just because it would be so easy to do, I’m also keeping an eye out for one of its bigger brothers.

Martin, I’m so determined to get that PL-71 up and going, I just love the look of it and luckily I picked it up fairly cheap so have a fair bit of room to move before things get silly and uneconomical.

Not sure of their specs but your right on the DM110’s they must be pretty efficient and are a great match to the little 15W Sansui. I’ve only got a small room at the moment and this simple cheap system easily fills it and rattles the widows.

Cam

crashden
11-05-2012, 00:34
Oops that was supposed to be "windows" no widows in my place that I know of!!!!

Reid Malenfant
11-05-2012, 18:32
Hi Cam, welcome to the forum from me as well :) Here's hoping you enjoy your stay here, bests to you :wave:

jazzpiano
11-05-2012, 20:06
Warm Welcome Cam,

Ah..Tim Buckley, "Once I Was A Soldier" - what a great song. It's in the Vietnam movie "Coming Home".

Best,
Barry