PDA

View Full Version : speakers for rega gear ?

dubman23
09-05-2012, 19:04
Hi I'm thinking of upgrading my speakers,which are Castle Chester's,floorstanding TLines and have them biamped with a Rega Mira 3/Maia 3 combination .Rega Saturn CDP and Caiman Gatorised DAC complete the digital side of things.Has anyone tried Neat or Totem speakers ?I know I should check out Rega,s own but I think the side firing cones may cause problems in my room set up.Room is about 8x5m and I'm only looking for floorstanders with a decent bass response as dub is a must.Thanks for any replies...

chelsea
09-05-2012, 19:13
I used Neat mystique 2 with naim and exposure and they worked very well filling the room with deep bass in a 5x4m room.

Heard the totems with rega at a show years ago that also sounded good.

Your room is pretty big and either may be a bit small for it.

hoopsontoast
09-05-2012, 19:30
Cheap, but Rega Jura sound right up your street!

RichB
09-05-2012, 19:37
+1 for rega floorstanders, the famous Rega system synergy... Juras or otherwise... I personally love the RS5s but couldnt fit em in the room.

DSJR
09-05-2012, 21:15
The gator is good, but better than a Saturn on its own? Not sure about that one in all honesty :)

If the Chesters sound fine, why change them? What do you want from the change?

dubman23
09-05-2012, 21:22
The saturn is much better than the gator I just use that for flac from my PC and blurays.I am happy with the speakers I just think they can be improved esp bass and soundstage.Maybe its the upgrade bug but sometimes they sound tired ?Cheers Mark

dubman23
09-05-2012, 21:24
+1 for rega floorstanders, the famous Rega system synergy... Juras or otherwise... I personally love the RS5s but couldnt fit em in the room.

Cheers I have been thinking of RS5's esp with the new reductions I need to audition really,just wondering if anyone had tried rega stuff with other makes of speaker and to what effect...

DSJR
10-05-2012, 08:01
Keep an eye out for some old NAOS speakers. Despite the size (giant Jura's), they sounded really good and the treble excess that all Rega speakers suffer from was held well in check. I love Jura's to bits, but you have to be careful with the setup to tame their undeniable excesses at the frequency extremes - bass and treble in early ones with black bases, treble in later ones. It can be done though with care and bi-amping gave them loads of authority :)