PDA

View Full Version : For Sale : MC2 MC450 power amp

RobsterD
08-05-2012, 22:02
Got one of these pro amps for sale and I think the best of the lot as only has a couple of fans so dead quiet compared to the others in the range.
MC450 dates Feb 1998 and had a full service inc silent fans in Aug2008.
Really good condition,no dings or scratches so has lived a charmed life probably not seen any pro use.
Comes with original box.
£475 plus postage
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac68/RobsterD/CIMG0453.jpg

DSJR
09-05-2012, 14:01
OOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! A modern giant killer if ever there was one and with the funds I'd have it tomorrow!!!!!!!

Who was the chap (on ZGG or Wigwam?) who used one of these with some humungous double 15" driver studio Tannoys from the 80's?

I think the apparent decline of big studio monitors has meant the corresponding decline of mega power but high quality studio amps too, this range going in favour of cheaper "club" models unless I'm mistaken. A shame IMO...

Reid Malenfant
09-05-2012, 17:50
I think the apparent decline of big studio monitors has meant the corresponding decline of mega power but high quality studio amps too, this range going in favour of cheaper "club" models unless I'm mistaken. A shame IMO...
Don't you believe it Dave, look up a couple of the modern MC2 amps like the E90 & E100 :)

They simply got far more powerful if that's hard to believe :D

All MC2 amps are very good amps I'll add while I'm on here! Top quality & virtually bomb proof..

camtwister
10-05-2012, 09:34
I encounter the E-series often in fixed installations. Adjacent to me as I type, there's an E25 in the control room's amp cupboard.
The E-models have switch mode power supplies and are about fifty percent lower mass than the MC series.
The S-series are the evolution of the MC range, utilise a toroidal supply, and are designed for critical monitoring. The service engineers that I know speak positively about MC2 amps, praising the topology and attention to detail.
Of the units that I've played with over the past decade, the only replacement part fitted to any was one channel gain pot - due to wear. If you have a requirement for a professional amp in Class AB, need headroom and a high damping factor or just want to experience massive (in domestic terms) power, then MC2 amps should be auditioned.
The MC450s that I remember had XLR input and speakon outputs with user configurable digital limiters. They'll give you over 600W at two ohms in stereo mode and crushing amounts in bridged mono. You'll need to locate the amp so that fan noise is not obtrusive - but then - you're not gonna hear the fans when you turn these up!
Good luck with the sale, Rob.

RobsterD
11-05-2012, 19:00
thanks for the positive posts,dissapointingly the only interest has come from abroad.
My MC650 went to Madrid in the end

RobsterD
14-05-2012, 13:42
and for the unbalanced user I'll throw in a pair of convertors

RobsterD
20-05-2012, 16:03
bump

Welder
20-05-2012, 18:30
Hmm, if I didn't have my heart set on some Stellavox amps I would have this.
I've been playing with some of the more recent range recently. Most impressed.
Serious Pro amps.

I hope this is okay Rob (?)
http://www.mc2-audio.co.uk/images/stories/manuals/mc450-650_manual.pdf
http://www.mc2-audio.co.uk/images/stories/datasheets/mcseries/mc450.pdf

DSJR
21-05-2012, 08:53
I'm so sorry this hasn't sold. If I had the funds I'd buy it with no second thoughts at all - a proper solid state amp with apparently decent service backup and no bullsh*t whatsoever from the manufacturers..

For the money asked, what solid state amp anywhere near this quality could you buy for that money? Forget the budget add-ons by Arcam and Rotel - they wouldn't come close. Blinged up Krells probably wouldn't be any better and the hugely underpowered in this comparison old KSA50 (despite actually being nearer 100WPC as against 50WPC) now starts, at thirty years old and probably needing a severe service, at £750 or so.

The only popular, well known used ss amp of any real pedigree IMO in this comparison is the Quad 606 (I'm ignoring Parasounds and other rare birds as they're not as plentiful).

chrism
21-05-2012, 09:25
Quite intersted in this but not sure if it would work with a Beresford Caiman DAC (with passive mod done) as a preamp. As its unbalanced would there be an issue with grounding at all?

Looks great and am very tempted.

Regards

Chris

Welder
21-05-2012, 10:11
Just a thought for anyone who may be interested but can’t quite see this fitting in with the rest of their audiophile jewelry.:eyebrows:

I have a friend with a later model who replaced the front plate with a 10mm black anodized ally plate fascia. Apparently it’s easy to do. The blue pressed steel front panel bolts on to a rather more solid casework front. I believe it cost him less than fifty pounds including the machining of the filter and control cut outs; very serious HiFi it looks too.

You could spend am awful lot of money on an amp designed for domestic use and get nothing like the performance these units are capable of. If this had a fancy case with these specs and the asking price was a couple of grand, it would probably have been sold by now. :rolleyes:

(not quite sure why I’m trying to sell this for someone else and if I don’t get a grip I’ll end up getting it myself)

RobsterD
21-05-2012, 19:32
(not quite sure why I’m trying to sell this for someone else and if I don’t get a grip I’ll end up getting it myself)

Hi John,thanks you're doing an excellent job !
Now someone buy this excellent amp :)
The MC2's replacement was a Parasound A21,really if I could get another 450 the A21 would be back up for sale,bridged they are incredible.

chrism
22-05-2012, 07:12
Quite interested in this but not sure if it would work with a Beresford Caiman DAC (with passive mod done) as a preamp. As the Caiman is unbalanced would there be an issue with grounding at all?

Looks great and am very tempted.

Regards

Chris

Anyone able to help me with this one?

Regards

Chris

Ian Walker
22-05-2012, 07:59
Anyone able to help me with this one?

Regards

Chris

There should be no problem with this.

On the advise of MC2 i used a Mc650 with my Rega Dac straight into it via XLR-phono adapters..the pwr amp gain controls acting as volume controls.

Do give Mc2 a call though they are very helpfull.

Ian.

RobsterD
23-05-2012, 16:39
bump

RobsterD
27-05-2012, 20:02
bump

RobsterD
02-06-2012, 16:58
sold ....stp

DSJR
02-06-2012, 20:13
Thank heavens for that!!!!!

Hope the buyer loves it as much as we/I hope they will :)