PDA

View Full Version : ALBUM CLUB 08/05/2012 Candy Dulfer "Saxuality" 1990

Jac Hawk
08-05-2012, 20:12
Ok guys this week it's been a bit of a tough choice, I was all set to go with something by the Allman Brothers band, but then realised it had already been done:doh: so I needed to do a little rethink and it struck me, Candy Dulfer.

To be honest it was this album and Charles Mingus "Ah Um" that got me really into jazz, so i'm hoping it might spark your interest if your not already a jazz fiend like me:eyebrows:

This is Candy Dulfers 1st album a mix of smooth jazz and funk, and with enough contrast between tracks it holds your interest, as you can probably guess from the title she plays the Sax, Alto to be precise. As tends to be the case with musicians rather than "singers" the production is top notch too, so the album doesn't leave you with that "if only" feeling. Anyway I love it and she's drop dead gorgeous to boot so for me a 10/10 below are the links to wiki, spotify etc. so fill yer boots:cool:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy_Dulfer

spotify:album:5Y7iHcYmk13cAa6Vp6x5Q6

x8K-8N7LR2Y

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FOUFoqHML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

John
08-05-2012, 20:25
Not the greatest lover of Soft Jazz but will give it go as I do enjoy a lot of Jazz and think it is good that a jazz album has now been recomended on album club
I just watched the youtube link and think I will really struggle with this one

Tim
09-05-2012, 17:06
I shall look forward to this one, totally new to me and on first impression way outside my comfort zone, but that kind of intrigues me ;)

Alex_UK
09-05-2012, 17:50
Well this is interesting - soft jazz pap... ;) Somehow I seem to have 6 of her albums in my collection including this one - no idea how that happened... :o Interestingly, my copy of this album doesn't have "Lily Was Here" (her most famous work?) although I have it on vinyl and countless compilations...

I will observe the usual rules and give it a fresh listen before casting my vote. :)

John
09-05-2012, 17:56
Well I did give it a try I am afried for me the kind of music that gives Jazz a bad name
Sorry just not my thing

Audioman
09-05-2012, 19:37
Only half way through but it isn't realy Jazz. This is the sort of music that will send Jazz aficionados into a frenzy of hate. I am familiar with the first track 'Lily Was Here' which I have always quite liked. The rest is more a sort of hybrid instrumental funk/soul. I will listen right through before a final verdict but it is verging on background wallpaper music aimed at people who wanted 'cool' sax music but didn't realy like Jazz. Very much a product of it's time.

Jac Hawk
09-05-2012, 20:43
Interestingly, my copy of this album doesn't have "Lily Was Here"

Neither does mine Alex, and I've noticed some differences in the arrangement of a couple of tracks, strange:scratch: maybe the Spotify version is from a different country perhaps

This is the sort of music that will send Jazz aficionados into a frenzy of hate.

Maybe, but if jazz isn't even on your radar as it wasn't for me when I was 20, it at least could spur you on to look at the genre with a bit more enthusiasm, for me until this came along, Jazz conjured up images of Cleo Laine, George Melly and Pebble Mill at One that I remembered watching in the 70's if I was off school.

MartinT
10-05-2012, 12:29
This is not my normal fayre at all, but I have to say it sounds a whole lot better on the big rig than when hearing it on the radio. For a certain mood and good fun on those occasions. 6/10

Spectral Morn
11-05-2012, 10:43
8 out of 10

I bought this many years ago, in fact when it came out and while I have not played it in awhile I really like it.

Audioman
11-05-2012, 17:35
6 / 10 from me. It verges on background music but there are a few tracks I like. More Miami Vice style incidental music than real jazz.

The Grand Wazoo
13-05-2012, 23:25
Sorry Mike this is really not my cup of tea - it's the funk that the sax is set against that so turns me off. She's obviously a very good musician, but I'd rather not hear the jabs of synth, the growly fretless bass and the roto-tom laden drumkit.

I couldn't call this jazz - it makes me think of the sort of stuff that Chris Frankland used to use to peddle his Linn / Naim 'the tune is everything' loblocks in Hi-Fi Review in the late 80's.

I'm being generous in giving it a 3/10 and I honestly couldn't listen to it more than once - I even managed Britney more times than that.

But it's great that you like it - don't let me or anyone else stop you!

Tim
15-05-2012, 18:05
I'm afraid I couldn't get on with this at all :o In fact I found it a real struggle to get to the end. I may have given it more room in the 90's when I played Kenny G at dinner parties, but I have not played him for donkeys years and don't have the stomach for him anymore - this sounds the same to me. Too pop for my tastes and I love Jazz too, but we are talking Tord Gustavsen Trio style Jazz (thanks to Werner).

This to me is 'lift' music - sorry Mike, but I am grateful for the knowledge, as I do enjoy learning as much as I can about music, warts an' all, but its just not my thing.

I'll go with Chris and also give it 3/10, but that's not to say I have heard any X-Factor rejects to judge it by ;)

The Grand Wazoo
15-05-2012, 22:53
Just a thought - those who do like this might also like David Sanborn.

Barry
16-05-2012, 00:59
How can you mention Mingus's 'Ah Um' in the same sentence as this travesty! :eek:

This is the sort of thing that gives Jazz a bad name. Probably comes across better if seen live, but quite frankly it was 10 minutes 4 seconds worth that could have been better spent.

1/10 and that's being generous!

Sorry

Jac Hawk
16-05-2012, 19:54
How can you mention Mingus's 'Ah Um' in the same sentence as this travesty! :eek:

This is the sort of thing that gives Jazz a bad name. Probably comes across better if seen live, but quite frankly it was 10 minutes 4 seconds worth that could have been better spent.

1/10 and that's being generous!

Sorry

Quite simply Barry she is a top saxophonist, if you don't like her music that's down to you, and as i said if like me in the late 80's early 90's jazz wasn't your bag, it opened the door to a genre, plus i do like the kickin bass on tracks like "heavenly city":D

Bazil
16-05-2012, 19:57
This is my worst kind of music I'm afraid, to a critic of the genre it might be a 10 but to me 1/10.

Audioman
17-05-2012, 11:14
Quite simply Barry she is a top saxophonist, if you don't like her music that's down to you, and as i said if like me in the late 80's early 90's jazz wasn't your bag, it opened the door to a genre, plus i do like the kickin bass on tracks like "heavenly city":D

Quite simply Mike it ain't Jazz mate. It is what it is, a Jazzy/Soul/Funk/Elevator Music hybrid. This does not make it bad. I gave it 6 as I liked some of it and there is some great playing. Giving it 1 just because it's not 'proper' Jazz is unfair IMHO. However I can understand the incredulity expressed at comparisons with Mingus. To be honest a lot more enjoyable than some other Album Club contributions.

keiths
17-05-2012, 15:29
I bought this when it came out, but didn't play it much at the time. In fact, I knew the signs were bad when I looked for it in my XBMC library and found that I hadn't bothered ripping the CD - one of only half-a-dozen or so of nearly 3,000 that never got ripped. I have now dug the CD out of storage and ripped it to my music PC.

Really not keen on it at all - echoing most of the other opinions here that it's very much 'jazz lite' and the funky overtones really start to get on my nerves by about half way through. Only 4/10, I'm afraid.

Barry
17-05-2012, 17:57
Quite simply Barry she is a top saxophonist, if you don't like her music that's down to you, and as I said if like me in the late 80's early 90's jazz wasn't your bag, it opened the door to a genre, plus I do like the kickin bass on tracks like "heavenly city":D

Hello Mike,

Agreed, I was somewhat trenchant in my comments. True she can play saxophone, but I really don't like her style at all.

I also misunderstood the scoring: thinking it ran from 0 - 10, I gave a 1. I should have scored it 2. Is it possible to change my scoring?

Anyway if she (along with Charles Mingus) introduced you to the wider world of jazz, then that is no bad thing.

Apologies for any bad feeling.

Regards

Welder
17-05-2012, 19:27
In theory, given the sax and the funk style beat this should be right up my street.
No doubt she can play, but somewhere in all this lot the knack of stacking brass on a funk bass line has got a bit lost.
It doesn’t quite funk and like the others, I don’t think its close enough to jazz to score on that front.
It’s not that it’s bad, it just isn’t good enough as a sound style to get me grooving along.

3/10

Jac Hawk
17-05-2012, 19:40
What i was trying to get at guys is that for someone not at all interested in Jazz (me in the late 80's) more into the club / dance scene, then this made me think. Ok it's not pure jazz but Jazz/Funk, and because of that some turn their noses up at it, however there is her version of Miles Davis's "so what" on there and after i bought this CD i began to look at jazz more seriously, i never did and never would compare her to Mingus, all I said was it was after listening to this and then "Ah Um" that got me really hooked on Jazz

Stratmangler
18-05-2012, 23:47
T'aint Jazz, and it's only marginally more interesting than something I heard in a lift (elevator - for our North American cousins) recently :eyebrows:

Reid Malenfant
28-05-2012, 14:45
6/10 from me to :) Frankly I don't give a monkeys what genre it'd get pigeonholed into, I just enjoyed it for what it was. Not sure I'll be hunting down a copy for myself though - hense the score I gave it :cool: