PDA

View Full Version : Tellurium Blue Speaker Cable

steviej233
08-05-2012, 14:16
I have on loan some Tellurium Blue from mains cables'r'us (thanks David!), i have only been running them a short while but the quality is pretty impressive. They seem to have breathed new life into my Paradigm Monitor 7's (which didn't sound bad before). The closest thing i can liken it to is plugging in a HDMI cable for the first time and being impressed by the difference in quality. They seem to add depth to the sound that was lacking before, especially when you turn it up loud!

Think i need to run them for a while longer and then plug my old cable in and see if i can live without them (which i doubt).

icehockeyboy
08-05-2012, 19:29
At last, someone "bigging up" the Blues as opposed to the Blacks!

I agree totally, they were amazing from the word go, although Effem had run them in for me before I got them!

realysm42
08-05-2012, 19:33
I've already commented on this stuff in the other thread, but I can vouch for this very system, it sounded great and was a clear improvement over the QED silver stuff that was in there before :)

icehockeyboy
08-05-2012, 19:48
it sounded great and was a clear improvement over the QED silver stuff that was in there before :)

Not that hard really!!!! :lol:

realysm42
08-05-2012, 19:50
:eyebrows:

icehockeyboy
08-05-2012, 20:16
Martin, please forgive this query, but am I right in thinking the TQ Ultra Black cable in your system cost more than your amp and speakers put together?

Wakefield Turntables
08-05-2012, 20:16
I've already commented on this stuff in the other thread, but I can vouch for this very system, it sounded great and was a clear improvement over the QED silver stuff that was in there before :)

Please dont go there again! :D

steviej233
08-05-2012, 20:29
I can't bring myself to try the black on my system as it would be worth more than the whole lot! Plus i can't afford it!

I can vouch for the black as well though, Martins system was no dog before but the music sounds like it has layers to it, it's quite breathtaking at times.

Back to the blue though, and for the money i don't think you can ask for more.

icehockeyboy
08-05-2012, 20:33
I can't bring myself to try the black on my system as it would be worth more than the whole lot!

Just like Martins set up then! :lol:

realysm42
08-05-2012, 21:31
Martin, please forgive this query, but am I right in thinking the TQ Ultra Black cable in your system cost more than your amp and speakers put together?

You're not right; my speakers are £750 and my amp is £1650, the cable I will have (2.5 m, not the 3m I'm demoing now) won't set me back that much.

If you're going to say it's still a lot to pay in relation to my system, it currently is, but I know I'm getting all I can from my amp and speakers, which will be upgraded in due time no doubt.

It is odd you ask a queston you could answer for yourself, and then laugh about your assumption before I've answered it :scratch:

icehockeyboy
08-05-2012, 21:52
My mistake! I was somehow working out the cabling to be more for some reason! Then again, with the jumpers it is still dearer than the amp n'est ce pas?

wee tee cee
08-05-2012, 23:31
When I first tried the blue at home it was in my naim system, it proved to be very good. However my son asked to hear it it in his system (my 20 plus year old cyrus 1 and a pair of similar vintage ruark swordsman speakers running off a CA dac majik.) It blew us away......really made me think that a lot of the equipment we have has far more potential if allowed to breath.
I am running mini t amps into cheap richer sound floor standing tannoys....with tq black and blue bi amping the cables cost 3 x what the amp and speakers cost but to my ears it approaches the sound of a decent headphone rig.
I might be talkin pish though.....
Tony.

realysm42
09-05-2012, 06:57
My mistake! I was somehow working out the cabling to be more for some reason! Then again, with the jumpers it is still dearer than the amp n'est ce pas?

As you're so interested, why don't you go find out and report back to us?

steviej233
09-05-2012, 07:38
From what i read the blue needs between 30-40 hours to burn in so i am looking forward to seeing of it can get any better. I have my system set up primarily for home cinema, but i have really got back into just listening to music again, as i am hearing things that i have not heard before.

icehockeyboy
09-05-2012, 10:09
As you're so interested, why don't you go find out and report back to us?

Just tongue in cheek friend, banter, you know? :) Without smileys it is hard to see how serious some replies are, I don't know whether you were saying it in a friendly way, or a Hifi Wigwam way? :scratch:

steviej233
10-05-2012, 07:20
Used to work with a company called Wigwam, wonder if it's the same bunch?

icehockeyboy
10-05-2012, 09:14
Used to work with a company called Wigwam, wonder if it's the same bunch?

Nah....you'd know if it was, you would have been belittled and sworn at so many times! :lol:

steviej233
10-05-2012, 12:13
It's quite possible it was them then!

The Black Adder
10-05-2012, 18:21
Just wondering here...

What is the difference between the black and the blue... really and honestly?

I see more sales of the black to the pound than the blue. I'm just questioning this because if the black is so good then why is it so prolific on the used market?

Is the blue simply down to a price point or does it bring anything to the party that the black doesn't?

I'm looking to try some of this stuff but I'm finding it really difficult to figure out what and why there is an almost 50% difference in price?

realysm42
10-05-2012, 18:32
Just a guess, it might be that people want to upgrade for a bit more money when they realise what the cable can do?

I can't subjectively answer you because I've not heard the UB vs. blue on the same system.

MartinT
10-05-2012, 18:35
It could be similar to the difference between Green and Ultra Black further up the product chain. See my review elsewhere for the comparison.

Effem
10-05-2012, 18:47
Just wondering here...

What is the difference between the black and the blue... really and honestly?

Joe, my own experience with both the Black and the Blue is not really that straightforward.

I had the Blue first and it really was one of those *WOW* moments the moment that I plugged them in. Bass grip and control was phenomenal to say the least and the bass and midrange were really sweet, but having said that the upper treble wasn't all that extended or with definition. It wasn't rolled off at all but things like ambience cues could have been better portrayed.

Moving on to the Blacks and straight out of the packet they did not impress me at all. That vice-like bass cohesion I had with the Blues wasn't there, the midrange was pretty shrill and the treble was a tad indistinct. Bugger. So, being the optimist that I am I ran them waiting to see if a period of usage brought them to life. After 35 or so hours now (been busy decorating for any serious listening hours) they are beginning to sound much better. Midrange is natural and liquid, treble is well extended and listening to live albums is a true joy with the audience not sounding like bacon frying in a pan, but each individual clear and distinct as though you really are surrounded by people and not just noise - rather scary really. The bass still hasn't matched what the Blues did but I am hopeful that another 35 hours will garner some major improvement there.

steviej233
11-05-2012, 06:56
I found that the blues need to be burnt in as i found the bass to be lacking to begin with. But i found the mid range and the treble to be better straight away, from what i can make out it really depends on your system. After running them on for a while i can safely say that the blues are fantastic and have given my system a nice upgrade for around £100.00.

The blacks however i found to make an instant difference on my brothers system and he had amazing cable in there before hand, the detail is there (even more so than the blue which is quite hard to believe).

In short if your not looking to spend a fortune then the blue is for you and you will not be disappointed!

The Black Adder
12-05-2012, 22:04
thanks guys for clearing that up... :)

realysm42
12-05-2012, 22:30
If you can find someone that will let you demo both you should give them both a shot to make your own mind up; the only thing I'd consider changing mine for now would be graphites, but that's years away.

steviej233
15-05-2012, 11:10
It's decided i am keeping these as they sound to good to go back, cannot go wrong for the money.

icehockeyboy
15-05-2012, 12:48
Take a peep in classifieds as I'm selling my TQ Blue to sponsor some Black!

steviej233
15-05-2012, 12:58
Thanks for that.