PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning LPs

Mr Kipling
07-05-2012, 18:25
Hi,

Anyone tried the latest method for cleaning your precious lps using - wood glue!?! Yes the white pva type. Spotted it on Audiosmile a few weeks ago. There's a video on youtube, although I haven't seen it.

Kind Regards,
Stephen

Beechwoods
07-05-2012, 18:29
Mike / Jac Hawk has, to good effect. I'm not sure I'd trust and album I cared about to the technique though.

RichB
07-05-2012, 18:33
Yes I've seen this on youtube, looks to be a lot of effort, especially if you were cleaning lots of records...

As it currently stands I use one of these on loan from another member of this forum, http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/31203326/Knosti-Disco-Antistat-Record-Cleaner/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518|cat:31203326|prd:31 203326

with deionised water and a bit fairy liquid, then rinse them off with just deionised water... pretty fantastic results and I've been doing 10-15 lps at a time for ripping to flac. Its quite a gentle and worry free way to get rid of most dust, static and crackles. I guess whatever noise is left after that is probably damage to the record surface after years of misuse on poorly set up gear.

RichB
07-05-2012, 18:36
Mike / Jac Hawk has, to good effect. I'm not sure I'd trust and album I cared about to the technique though.

Speaking of which I expect Mike will be joining this thread shortly with his magic sponges and other clever record cleaning tips!

AlfaGTV
07-05-2012, 18:37
I did a test a couple of weeks ago... Mostly out of curiosity though, but to me the cleaning effect doesn't come close to a proper RCM with vacuum suction. :mental:

And, who has a full 12hours to wait for the cleaning of ONE record? :stalks:

But, as far as i can tell no damage was done, and please give it a shot for the h@ll of it! :)

Br Mike

The Grand Wazoo
07-05-2012, 18:49
Methods like this have been suggested for donkey years - I used some stuff like it in the early-80's - bought from Virgin Records, no less.
Most folks give up after a while, when they realise the effort involved is considerably more than first anticipated.

cuddles
08-05-2012, 08:14
Yes I've seen this on youtube, looks to be a lot of effort, especially if you were cleaning lots of records...

As it currently stands I use one of these on loan from another member of this forum, http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/31203326/Knosti-Disco-Antistat-Record-Cleaner/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518|cat:31203326|prd:31 203326

with deionised water and a bit fairy liquid, then rinse them off with just deionised water... pretty fantastic results and I've been doing 10-15 lps at a time for ripping to flac. Its quite a gentle and worry free way to get rid of most dust, static and crackles. I guess whatever noise is left after that is probably damage to the record surface after years of misuse on poorly set up gear.

I might just go for one of these. I've been waiting ages to buy an Okki Nokki but I always end up buying records instead :lol: - even though I know that a proper RCM can transform noisy records .

morris_minor
08-05-2012, 08:55
I guy I know used glue with good effect. That is until the brand he used changed the formulation unannounced, with dire consequences . . . :doh:

Jac Hawk
08-05-2012, 09:18
Yes I have, its ok but messy and the records take ages to dry, buy a disco antistat if like me funds are tight you will get better results

Mr Kipling
08-05-2012, 19:08
Thanks for the replies.

I appreciate there have been many spread-it-on/let-it-dry/peel-it-off type products over the years. I remember Zeepra being one such product and Goldring also had its version. The difference with pva glue is that it's an everyday item and not audio-specific, surely?

"Don't call me surely!"

Kind Regards,
Stephen

sonddek
08-05-2012, 21:33
I have cleaned at least 500 sides this way. It is neither messy nor time-consuming, if you have the intelligence not to sit there watching it dry. In the summer I get drying times of a couple of hours. I glue and lay to dry several records at a time. It takes about thirty seconds per side to glue, and another thirty seconds per side to peel. It is extremely effective and very cheap if you buy 5 litre cartons of PVA. You do need a zerostat to use on the record after peeling. A Technics DD makes an excellent potter's wheel on which to apply glue, as it is powerful enough to keep the disc spinning. I pour glue in a spiral and use my finger to spread it as the platter spins. Quantity of glue is important. Too thick, and it will take long to dry. Too thin, and it will tear while peeling, sometimes even requiring a further application of glue to peel it properly. With practice there is no mess at all. I suspect that this is much less damaging to a record surface than scrubbing it with a brush. Recommended.

Barry
08-05-2012, 23:09
Hi,

Anyone tried the latest method for cleaning your precious lps using - wood glue!?! Yes the white pva type. Spotted it on Audiosmile a few weeks ago. There's a video on youtube, although I haven't seen it.

Kind Regards,
Stephen

Don't muck about with PVA 'wood glue'! It can work if all of the PVA peels away as one piece. If it doesn't, you are in 'deep stick'.

Play safe - if you have a couple of hundred LPs in your collection, buy an RCM. If you have less, find someone who has an RCM and get him/them to clean your records for you. It won't cost too much.

Believe me, I have had records which were previously unplayable before cleaning on an RCM. A few minutes using a record cleaner restored them to near mint condition!

One other thing - once you have cleaned the record, replace the inner sleeve with a new, clean one. They're not that expensive.

Regards

Smoker
09-05-2012, 00:31
hi mate, can you advise me on which rcm is best to get. im looking at the moth range at the moment, ive passed the 120 mark with my vinyls and feel its time to look at my options.

shame no one can repair the covers lol, ive a lovely original press of strange days by the doors that had its corner chewed by a lil dog :eek: bad i know but i got it like that and at a discount. vinyl is mint tho :)

Giubanix
12-05-2012, 14:31
I tried the pva glue method on a 2nd hand lp that I was pretty sure was beyond salvaging, just to see if it would peel off cleanly. I seem to remember it came off ok, but no improvement on the previous cleaning. Like I said, I was 99% sure the constant crackling was damage rather than dirt anyway.

Not having a big enough vinyl collection to justify splashing out on a record cleaning machine, I originally bought a knosti disco antistat cleaner. After using that for a few months, I went and bought a little £25 vacuum cleaner from Argos, cut a slot in the end of the tube you'd normally attach one of the various cleaning heads to and glued some strips of velvet ribbon either side of the slot, just like you'd get on the cleaning arm of a rcm.

Using the central record label clamp part of the knosti, I hold the record like a spinning top, put some cleaning fluid on, turn the record manually to spread the fluid with a rcm brush, then vacuum it off with my makeshift cleaning arm.

The suction holds the record securely while I spin it with the knosti's centre spindle (on a table top). Works a treat. Not elegant, but it's a vacuum rcm for £25, plus the cost of the fluid, and a brush. Obviously the knosti clamp is needed to hold the record, but no doubt it would be easy enough to put something similar together fairly cheaply.

chelsea
12-05-2012, 15:04
If you have a few hundred 2nd hand albums it is probably worth buying a 2nd rcm to clean the lot then sell the cleaner.

Of course if you continue to buy vinyl this is a rubbish idea.

Mr Kipling
12-05-2012, 15:44
Hi,

Raz, I'm sorry but I don't know what's out there now with regards RCMs. Many moons ago Moth made the cheapest at £200 I think. Had a look at VPI ones and £600 just seems like extortion to me.

The reason for posting my query was after seeing the youtube still-shot. It had me thinking about human ingenuity. How is it someone wakes up and thinks to themselves: "Think I'll clean me lps with wood glue today". Where does such an idea come from!?!

Ian, you've done what I've been wanting to do for the last few years. Didn't know how to get a vacum with the record though. I'm grateful for letting me how I can do it. Thanks.

The Grand Wazoo
12-05-2012, 18:25
Hmmmm......I wonder if, suitably modified, something like this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/K%C3%A4rcher-WV-Window-Cleaning-Vacuum/dp/B004E9QSO0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336847060&sr=8-1) would work?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41gXZ0kQSgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

.....cover the rubber blades with some velvety stuff & voila...........or no?

Giubanix
12-05-2012, 19:16
It may not have enough suction. Or too much. The vacuum I bought has a continuously variable power dial. About a third to half way is perfect. Too much and it grips the record so tight you would barely be able to turn it. Plus, the straight plastic tubes that came with mine are perfect once you cut a 3 or 4mm slot, block up the open end of the tube and glue on the velvet ribbon. Never had a single misshap in 3 years of using it. Just stick on a new piece of ribbon every now and then.

Needs to also be ok with sucking up liquid, although it seems to evaporate on it's way down the tube. The end that plugs into the vacuum is always bone dry.

They don't have the exact one I have anymore, but it looks kind of like:

Argos Value Range Compact Bagless Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4067946/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CKitchen+and+laundry%7C14418476/c_2/2%7C14418476%7CVacuum+cleaners%7C14418639/c_3/3%7Ccat_14418639%7CCylinder+bagless+vacuum+cleaner s%7C14418650.htm

PaulStewart
12-05-2012, 19:32
The alternative is to get a Loricraft or Keith Monks pro RCM and then as well as clening your own records, you can charge others to clean theirs. I ask £3.00 per record with a reduction to £2.50 for over 25 and I give a new poly lined inner bag as well :) It's not a huge amount and I don't do a lot, but it pays for the machine and the assorted sundries.

BTW before Martina Schoener came along with L'art du Son fluid, which I regard as highly suspect, I spent some time experimenting on behalf of Loricraft, to find the best mix of IPA/wetting agent and distilled water. This is what I now use, it's unashamedly non organic or bio degradable and you don't get theads growing in it either, which a number of people report with L'Art du Son.:eek:

Paul S

The Grand Wazoo
12-05-2012, 19:37
I've got an RCM, & frequently recommend that others will not regret buying one. I'm just thinking out loud on behalf of those who might be a) interested in an experiment, or b) not willing/able to designate the cash to fund a full blown RCM.

I didn't get where I am today without a little innovation and tight fistedness, Reggie!

PaulStewart
12-05-2012, 19:58
Oh! I'm all for a bit of innovation and saving dosh. That's how I started making the Passive Pre. I just think a full blown RCM has a way of funding it's self. I'm interested in that little vac unit though, I have and old SP25 with a knackered arm in the garage, I feel a play coming on:lol::lol::lol:

Mr Kipling
12-05-2012, 21:36
Hi,

It's a bugger being poor. It really is! It is, of course, a relative term. One man's being poor is another's being affluent. For me, being poor means an income of less than £12,000. We all have to live within our means of course. Well, you don't have to, but not doing so takes you down another road.

I've always found buying hi-fi a grind. Justifying the expense has always been someth́ng of a problem for me, even when I was younger and relatively better off. Don't know if it's the same for others. The most I can ever bring myself to spend on any component is £200, which, in real terms, I know is nothing these days. I've had that figure fixed for the last 35 years!

Perhaps I'm looking through rose-tinted spectacles, but it seems like there was a time when audio world was a bit more critical with regards what products cost. That seems to have eroded with the passage of time and now anything seems to go and nobody appears to bat an eye. I suppose it's just a refection of how the world is now.

Liked the Reggie Perrin reference.

Kind Regards,
Stephen

Jac Hawk
12-05-2012, 22:01
The thing is Stephen, with a bit of patience and a bit of an eye for a bargain you can put together a top notch system for very little money at all, trust me i've done it.

With regards to RCM i would go along with what others have said, if you have hundreds of LP's then an RCM is a worth while investment, however they are damned pricey for what they are, I've found for a fraction of the price a 2 step wash and rinse using the knosti gets the LP's just as clean, the only down side being the drying times and the fact that you use a lot of distilled water.

BTW I notice you're from Co Durham Stephen, that'll be 2 of us then

Macca
13-05-2012, 07:37
There sre two essential components in a 'proper' RCM:
1) Vacuum motor - this is not to dry the record per se but to lift out all of the debris you have put into suspension with the fluid and the brushing
2) High torque motor - so the record continues to reveolve even when 'scrubbing' with some downward force.

I agree that £400 (which is about the cheapest) seems steep. However I have not gone into the manufacturing costs. If you could design one and get it built in China what price per unit for a container load? Get it down to £100, stick £100 on for additonal costs and a bit of profit and you have, at £200, the cheapest RCM on the market. I don't think judging from all the record cleaning threads that you would be short of customers, just depends on whether the suns add up. I'm guessing they don't or someone would already have done it, but you never know, might be a business there.

I like the idea of using a vacuum with variable suction - the vacuum part of the RCM is indespensible - that could be used to construct a viable lash-up machine from the sound of it.

Alex_UK
13-05-2012, 21:20
I've got an RCM, & frequently recommend that others will not regret buying one. I'm just thinking out loud on behalf of those who might be a) interested in an experiment, or b) not willing/able to designate the cash to fund a full blown RCM.

must... resist...!

The Grand Wazoo
13-05-2012, 21:22
No Alex, that's not your kind of household appliance - it's far too small for a man of your calibre!

The Grand Wazoo
13-05-2012, 21:23
Yoiks! Have you compared our post counts?

Tim
13-05-2012, 21:30
must... resist...!
Yes you must, think of new avatar ;)

Reid Malenfant
13-05-2012, 21:32
Yoiks! Have you compared our post counts?
You think that's bad :doh:

Chris - 2008, Alex - 2009, me - 2010 :mental:

Think I'll take a sabbatical :eyebrows:

Marco
13-05-2012, 23:32
I'll take you seriously, when you get to over 20,000! :eyebrows: ;)

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
14-05-2012, 16:23
That'll be a couple more years then :D

Barry
14-05-2012, 16:44
I'll take you seriously, when you get to over 20,000! :eyebrows: ;)

Marco.

Don't brag Marco - we all know it's your 'clone' in a parallel universe that is ramping up your post count. :lol:

Regards

Beechwoods
17-05-2012, 18:18
It's a funny old clone. 3'4" and 35lbs. It does all the 'Three Words Daily' posts on the big man's behalf!