PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear, I've got another!

oldius
06-05-2012, 20:37
Picked up a minty Dual 1019.

I've not hooked it up but it's clear that running I cannot hear it even with my ear against the spindle.

What can I expect from it?
What cartridge shall I fit?

It has a Shure 75 fitted but there is a cantilever kink.

jostber
07-05-2012, 09:42
Two good links for you here:

http://best-turntables.com/dual-1019-turntable-review/
http://www.fixmydual.com/

Marco
07-05-2012, 11:02

I've not hooked it up but it's clear that running I cannot hear it even with my ear against the spindle.

:worthless:

Marco.

DSJR
07-05-2012, 11:04
The 1019 is a bloody good turntable in both traditional measurements and sonics IMO and the ONLY shortcomings are a shortish tonearm, the bearing assembly of which is set slighly high for autochanging, and an auto lift-lower which doesn't lower down using the cueing device as on later models..

[edit] The controls are so slick and orgasmic in use too (if you've never used one you won't appreciate what the fugg I'm on about :rofl: ).......

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/dual1019.jpg

I used one with a K9 fitted to it extensively and it sounded fab, with only the barest idler harmonics in the background if you listened flat out specifically for it. The drive really is good, high torque and not hugely noisier than your average Lenco IMO..

My advice is to try one of the £20 acrylic "mats" on top of the stuck on stock mat - to raise playing height of the record and bring the arm closer to level.

Cartridge choice today? Spare cartridge mounts are readily available. For cheapness, Stanton 500 series and Pickering V15-VE, the ubiquitous AT95E (both can be race tuned with fancy add-on styli too ;)), next up, a Jico replacement M75-ED stylus, which should track smoothly at 1.3g - the SAS may not be properly aligned unless the arm can be got perfectly level..... The AT120e may work but is higher compliance than the K9 I think and less well damped. The Shure Me97XE with damper should be good to go if the arm can be got level

The tall bodied Ortofon 2M range should also be an excellent match, tracking at 1.5g or so, as will the Pickering XV15/625 definitely. I'm holding fast in recommending the related Stanton 681EEE V3 or Pickering XV15/757S, as the auto arm lowering is a bit fast on this pre-12** series Dual and the massy arm may cause bounce?

The Denon DL110 or DL160 should also be superb, together with the Sumiko BPS.

One final thing, the internal tonearm wires may actually be ok still, but the exit one to amp will definitely be ripe for a beneficial change IMO. Make sure the deck is earthed via a separate lead, and not by one of the signal screens, as was fashionable in decks of this era, causing extra hum in the far background.

Good luck. I hope you enjoy it as a prime example of decent engineering from the 60's...

Macca
07-05-2012, 11:18

No doubt it will cheer you up in the aftermath of our disastrous FA cup final performance...;)

oldius
07-05-2012, 11:27
As a man city fan, I am always cheery! Well at least for two years in my 43!

Macca
07-05-2012, 11:32
As a man city fan, I am always cheery! Well at least for two years in my 43!

Ah - I'm confusing you with someone else :) Yes it is a great time to be a City fan - who'd have thought it eh?

oldius
07-05-2012, 11:36
Dsjr thanks for such a comprehensive reply. I will try a replacement stylus first I think just to make sure all is working as it should. I've ordered an external lead. This is a din to 2 RCA; what's the earthing situation here?

The deck spins silently and all the auto functions are spot on. I'll use the manual lift anyway so stylus fragility shouldn't be an issue.

oldius
07-05-2012, 11:37
Ah - I'm confusing you with someone else :) Yes it is a great time to be a City fan - who'd have thought it eh?

We are blessed, so desperately fortunate to have the owners we have. They could have chosen anyone.

Marco
07-05-2012, 12:24
Dsjr thanks for such a comprehensive reply. I will try a replacement stylus first I think just to make sure all is working as it should. I've ordered an external lead. This is a din to 2 RCA; what's the earthing situation here?

The deck spins silently and all the auto functions are spot on. I'll use the manual lift anyway so stylus fragility shouldn't be an issue.

Pics - when are we gettin' some pics of the actual one you have? :)

Marco.

hifi_dave
07-05-2012, 14:16
That's woken me up. I must get my one out.

Oo'er missus.

oldius
07-05-2012, 14:22
Cummon dave, everytime I show off mine you have to whip yours out!

hifi_dave
07-05-2012, 14:54
Did I mention that I've got a couple of 12 inchers ?

oldius
07-05-2012, 15:07
You seem to have everything I have and more!

DSJR
07-05-2012, 15:51
And I'm due to tackle them very soon :eyebrows:

I've alrwady ordered that the 1019 be got ready for my inspection :)

By the way, The recommended bearing oil may not be available (I think it was known as "Renotac 342"), but worth asking Adam at Dualspares on eBay if he has a lube kit suitable for the 10** series. He carries a lot of old Dual and Garrard auto bits and bobs. In desperation, I used a few drops of the ubiquitous EP80 on my 701 main bearing with no issues.

oldius
07-05-2012, 15:57
I have ordered an external tonearm lead, 5 pin din to 2x RCA.

You mentioned a separate earth, what do you mean and will my cable have this covered?

DSJR
07-05-2012, 16:16
To be certain, you need to go back to the terminal block underneath the deck itself.

How do I post file atachments? Either that, or register with Vinyl Engine as they have the service manual for this deck (I've just been reading it).

As I suspected, the supplied signal lead is soldered to a tag strip under the deck. The chassis of the deck is connected to one of the signal screens, an easy thing to work with, but adds to the hum figure. Your DIN to phono adaptor will enable you to get noise into the amp with no major issue, but for best fidelity after forty plus years, I really would suggest changing to a pair of flexible screened mic or coax cables (I love Van Damme pro Patch mic cables for this, but have recently been recommended the Klotz AC110 "guitar" coax cable as well, since it's low capacitance and sounds extremely clean and tidy without etching the treble).

The above can come later, so use your adaptor and have some fun first.

What Shure 75 is it (written on the stylus)?

oldius
07-05-2012, 17:47
Shure is written on the stylus. Do you mean a single run from the arm to amp, bypassing the "din box"?

Marco
07-05-2012, 18:38
Oi, Geoff, will we ever be getting any pics? I have asked! ;)

Marco.

oldius
07-05-2012, 18:40
Marco

Sure thing. Will try to post later or maybe when I finally get that invite to yours!!!

Geoff

Marco
07-05-2012, 18:45
Lol... Oh, the latter will definitely be coming - I just need to fit you into the schedule! :cool:

Marco.

oldius
07-05-2012, 21:42
http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy332/oldius/P1000549.jpg

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy332/oldius/P1000550.jpg

Looking underneath it is extremely well engineered. "Doctor Dual" calls it the best Dual turntable ever. I don't know if that's a good thing but I saw a thread somewhere entitled "women and turntables". A luscious beehived beauty was dancing on a podium next to a TD124 and a Dual 1019 sat side by side in the DJ booth.

Really looking forward to trying her out now; the deck not the darling though I'd rather it the other way around well I would if I wasn't getting married.......................stop digging!

DSJR
08-05-2012, 08:00
The cartridge is an M75 Special (M75-D) made for Dual I think. Don't worry, ANY of the M75 styli will fit. Safest but a bit dull for me is the 75-EJ, tracking at 1.8g or so. A Jico 75-ED will sound much clearer and tracks at 1.3g or thereabouts with no difficulty. The arm is too massy for success at 1g with a V15 II for example and will be unstable on record warps, despite the bearings and auto-trip being up to it.

You know, all this talk elsewhere of the venerable A&R/Garrott P77 leads me to think that a cheapo but working C/E/P 77 body, but fitted with a new stylus from ESCo, would be a perfect match if you can get the arm more level when playing. The deck is well worth spending a ton on with new cartridge/stylus and thick top-mat.

Forgive the schoolboy enthusiasm. I love this deck with a passion and know full well the lovely music it could make..

oldius
08-05-2012, 08:10
Passion for decks is something I completely understand, I'm now at five!

If you're local you're welcome to come over for a music session and a brain pick!

DSJR
08-05-2012, 08:12
I'm down in Suffolk Coastal - the end of the world (long story), so can only enthuse from afar.

I'll get my kicks from hifi dave's if he can be a*sed to find it and unbox it :rolleyes: and I've always got my beloved 701 as in the avatar :lol:

Alex_UK
08-05-2012, 13:16
What a lovely looking deck - henceforth all turntables should be called a "Plattenspieler" :)

oldius
11-05-2012, 21:38
This is definitely a deck with big potential. Hooked up now but sounds bright and huge output which I don't understand.

2 issues; how do I change the "cartridge slope" and is the "din box" an amplifier of some sort? The output on a known cart is significantly greater.