PDA

View Full Version : A Donkey Out For A Drive To Whitby Last Nite

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
04-05-2012, 10:56
Hi Guys

Was a touch bored last nite so took the dogs out to Whitby for a pint and Fish and Chips.
I was driving so only had a Non-Alcoholic beverage, Faye and Cookie had the Beer, and Fish and Chips after.
Last photo is the morning after. Titled 'Sod The Walk We've got a bad head'

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/HyCoignitor/Audio%20Art%20of%20Sound/_DSC0006LightroomV3V-1Re-Size1.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/HyCoignitor/Audio%20Art%20of%20Sound/_DSC0013LightroomV3V-1Re-Size1.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/HyCoignitor/Audio%20Art%20of%20Sound/_DSC0022LightroomV3V-1Re-Size1.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/HyCoignitor/Audio%20Art%20of%20Sound/FC17Re-Size1.jpg

Andy - SDDW

audio39
04-05-2012, 14:14
Those are some awesome pics. I've on numerous occasions suggested to my Irish/Scottish wife that we consider a move to the UK opon retirement...these pics may help.

But in the past when I suggested this she would first punch me, and then go have a few shots of whiskey!!!

Go figure.

04-05-2012, 15:33
Hi Rick

To be honest I do tend to slag off the area.
But in reallity it is a great place to live.
Whitby is only 20 miles away, and quite an important attraction for the area.
Famous for Cpt Cook and Dracular, the big Goth festivals are amazing. Not forgetting me too.
Not many of us 'Sand Dancing Donkeys' about now.
North Yorkshire Moors, York City, and Yorkshire Dales and not forgetting the Lake District. All an easy drive away.

Andy - SDDW

Mark Grant
04-05-2012, 15:58
The third picture is my favourite, beautiful :)

Not been to Whitby for ages... must make the effort one weekend before it gets too touristy in the summer.

Haselsh1
04-05-2012, 16:17
The first image reminds me of the port of Mahon on the island of Menorca whilst I was there many years ago as it was fabulous seen by night. I have to admit that I too have a tendency to slag off the area I now live which is totally unfair as I would rather be here than a large and horrible town/city. I have York just 26 miles away, the North York Moors just up the road, the Yorkshire Dales an hour away and Whitby around 20 miles away. My life is now so different to how it used to be so why do I still say bad things and get very grumpy...?

audio39
04-05-2012, 16:28
The spot you're looking on from in the first photo...I imagine I could stand there all evening!

04-05-2012, 16:46
The spot you're looking on from in the first photo...I imagine I could stand there all evening!

A very good spot indeed.
It is close to the Harbour Masters Office and is one of the main car parks for the town, very close to the train station.
The larger boat in the forground is the HM Fisheries boat.
I did sit in the car for quite a while watching the view, at that time of the evening the town is very quiet, a nice change from the hectic day time crowds.

Andy - SDDW

Mark Grant
04-05-2012, 17:32
The first image reminds me of the port of Mahon on the island of Menorca whilst I was there many years ago as it was fabulous seen by night.

Reminded me of Port Pollensa in Majorca in the winter on my Birthday one February, I can almost smell the atmosphere just thinking about it....:)

The picture that I thought of when I saw Andy's pictures above:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3174/2321434519_d7e8a3504a_z.jpg?zz=1 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/yo43yo/2321434519/)
night time Puerto Pollensa harbour (http://www.flickr.com/photos/yo43yo/2321434519/) by Mark G. in England (http://www.flickr.com/people/yo43yo/), on Flickr

Strange how night time shots of boats remind people of holidays, probably because that's the only time most people walk around harbours at night.

I have to admit that I too have a tendency to slag off the area I now live which is totally unfair as I would rather be here than a large and horrible town/city. I have York just 26 miles away, the North York Moors just up the road, the Yorkshire Dales an hour away and Whitby around 20 miles away. My life is now so different to how it used to be so why do I still say bad things and get very grumpy...?

I think a lot of people do the same, they don't realise what they have around them, me included.

Step outside and look around, the graphics are amazing.:)

04-05-2012, 18:46
The first image reminds me of the port of Mahon on the island of Menorca whilst I was there many years ago as it was fabulous seen by night. I have to admit that I too have a tendency to slag off the area I now live which is totally unfair as I would rather be here than a large and horrible town/city. I have York just 26 miles away, the North York Moors just up the road, the Yorkshire Dales an hour away and Whitby around 20 miles away. My life is now so different to how it used to be so why do I still say bad things and get very grumpy...?

Hi Shaun

If you are still in Pickering area, that is a lovely place to live.
Quite envious actually.
I might be over your way sometime next week too.

Andy

littlest hobo
04-05-2012, 21:59
Did you use a tripod? great photo's, nice and crisp exposure and no camera wobble.

Spectral Morn
04-05-2012, 22:20
Beautiful photos

DaveK
04-05-2012, 22:21
SDDW,
I trust you treated everyone, dogs included, to Fish 'n' Chips at the Magpie cafe' - said by many to be the best chippy in the UK and therefore the whole universe :lol: .
Dave.

Edit:
Love the pics, particularly the third one.

Mike
04-05-2012, 22:23
SDDW,
I trust you treated everyone, dogs included, to Fish 'n' Chips at the Magpie cafe' - said by many to be the best chippy in the UK and therefore the whole universe :lol: .
Dave.

Meh... not that great IMHO, damn pricey too!

DaveK
04-05-2012, 22:30

You get what you pay for these days (sometimes ;) ) Must admit it's been a long time since I last tried them though.

Marco
04-05-2012, 22:32

Lol - you tend to find that in Scotland, too, particularly around seaside resorts and tourist areas.

The 'famous' chippies are often unspectacular, and usually vastly overpriced, full of queues of daftees (usually tourists), who don't know any better, waiting to be served, whereas the ones further down the road, or along a back street somewhere, used by locals, are superb and half the price! :D

Lesson: never go to eat where it is superficially most 'popular'. Head to where the locals go, off the beaten track. That rule applies more than ever, when abroad!

Superb pics, as usual, Andy. I think you're getting better all the time! :cool:

Marco.

Mike
04-05-2012, 22:33
It's been several years since I've eaten there myself. If we ever get any sun I might get the roof down and take a trip over there.

05-05-2012, 11:09
Did you use a tripod? great photo's, nice and crisp exposure and no camera wobble.

I did use a tripod, my hand is not that steady.
Though even in the low light conditions the exposure was still quite short.

Andy - SDDW

Mike
05-05-2012, 11:12
It looks all warm with that lighting, but I bet it was cold! :D

05-05-2012, 11:17
SDDW,
Dave.

Edit:
Love the pics, particularly the third one.

Hi Dave

Cheers for your comments.
By the time I passed the Magpie Cafe' it was shut.
Having said that, Fish and Chips sat on Whitby harbour front, nothing gets any better than that, wherever they were bought from, with the 'chinking of boat rigging' in the background.
Will have to visit more often than I do.

Andy - SDDW

05-05-2012, 11:24
It looks all warm with that lighting, but I bet it was cold! :D

You are right Mike, it was a touch chilly.
But remember we are tuff northerers :eyebrows:
So yes I was well wrapped up.

Andy - SDDW

05-05-2012, 11:32
Lol - you tend to find that in Scotland, too, particularly around seaside resorts and tourist areas.

The 'famous' chippies are often unspectacular, and usually vastly overpriced, full of queues of daftees (usually tourists), who don't know any better, waiting to be served, whereas the ones further down the road, or along a back street somewhere, used by locals, are superb and half the price! :D

Lesson: never go to eat where it is superficially most 'popular'. Head to where the locals go, off the beaten track. That rule applies more than ever, when abroad!

Superb pics, as usual, Andy. I think you're getting better all the time! :cool:

Marco.

Marco

How right you are with your comment about going to the back street Chippy's.
Which is where I went to. No complaints from Faye and Cookie though.
Cheers for the comments regarding the photo's.
I'm not a natural photographer but I do enjoy myself.
Finally getting back to life with stuff. Had a bit of a Flat year recently.
I have changed my speakers. though that s for another thread soon, I promise. Can you guess what I bought?
They are 6' 6" tall and bloody things weigh 109Kg each.
Mad Mike's seen and heard them. Strange beasts, and very rare in the UK.

Andy - SDDW

Haselsh1
05-05-2012, 17:29
Hi Shaun

If you are still in Pickering area, that is a lovely place to live.
Quite envious actually.
I might be over your way sometime next week too.

Andy

I'm free on Monday and Tuesday if you'd like to meet up for a beer...?

Rare Bird
05-05-2012, 22:32
Hi Andy
Were off to Scarbrough for a week in Septemeber, it's only like a fiver from there to Whitby on the bus.. Looking forward to it, i love Whitby.

Beechwoods
05-05-2012, 22:39
Love those pictures Andy. Now I feel like fish and chips. Look what you've gone and done!

06-05-2012, 10:37
Hi Andy
Were off to Scarbrough for a week in Septemeber, it's only like a fiver from there to Whitby on the bus.. Looking forward to it, i love Whitby.

Hope you enjoy yourself, I personally enjoy Whitby better when the crowds are not about, September should be a touch quieter then.
Fish and chips taste great any time of the year.
Don't forget. if you get chance to visit, Pickering, Ravenscar, and the North Yorkshire Moors steam train line.
Closer to the time, drop me a line and I may be able to meet up with you.
I have transport, could maybe take you about a bit if you need to use the bus service.

Andy - SDDW

06-05-2012, 10:39
Love those pictures Andy. Now I feel like fish and chips. Look what you've gone and done!

Fish and chips taste good at any time of the year.
But there is something just right about eating them at Whitby's Harbour front with a couple of :cool:inside you

Andy - SDDW