PDA

View Full Version : A real beauty

RochaCullen
03-05-2012, 07:37
This techy looks the business:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technics-SL-110-Turntable-/140743194585?_trksid=e11010.m8&_trkparms=algo%3DMW%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCC%26 otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8149759365092111533

DSJR
03-05-2012, 07:39
Plays tunes too, of the acoustic feedback variety :)

You peeps really must stop listening with your eyes :lol:

Seriously though, a modern mat and sitting in a sand-box style of outer plinth would sort it....

hifi_dave
03-05-2012, 08:20
I've got one of those with a 3009 imp fitted.

Does look gorgeous.

Marco
03-05-2012, 08:30
Plays tunes too, of the acoustic feedback variety :)

:lol: :lol: That was funny!

More seriously though, I'd love someone here to buy it and take it on as 'project'. I'm sure that with some judicious tweakage, it has the potential to be pretty good.

Like we've said before, look at that chunky platter, compared to the piss-poor thin thing on an SL-1200. The wooden armboard is also a step in the right direction, and I reckon that the overall construction of the plinth is superior, too.....

Marco.

RochaCullen
03-05-2012, 08:38
I'd love to take it on as a project, but I've spend my monthly allocation of "audio" money: a Graham Slee Era Gold V and an Audio Technica at440mla. That's a few months money really.

Still, like Marco, I am prepared to live vicariously, and enjoy the penned experiences of another with this deck.

:)

MartinT
03-05-2012, 08:49
Subject to speed hunting, though, as I don't think it has the quartz lock/analogue feedback of the 1210 Mk.II series.

Marco
03-05-2012, 08:59
Yup, and sadly the reason why it would never be any more than a decent turntable, unless one could transpose the 1200's motor and control electronics into it...

Even if it were possible, it'd be a huge job. I just wish that Technics had retained using the shell of the SL-110 (including the platter), when they invented the Quartz-locked D/D drive system for the SL-1200.

Now *that* would've been something special! :)

Marco.

chris@panteg
03-05-2012, 10:07
The platter of the SL110 weighs 2kg ! So not much more than the 1200 , the 1200 platter really isn't that 'piss poor' Yes it could have been better (copper bonding) but this was 1978 and the SL1200 mk2 was a mid range deck and aimed at the semi pro market , the finest musical detail was not a concern :eyebrows:

I've been informed and it is the considered opinion of many that the best domestic Turntable/record player Technics made other than the SP10 mk2 and mk3 or SP15/25 variants , was this model .
SL1500 mk2 with quartz lock and a platter of 2.5 kg

http://www.stereomanuals.com/vintagetechnics/images/technics_sl1500mk2.jpg

Side by side with an SL1200mk2 its said to be superior in performance .
And I for one would take this over an SL110 any day :)

Rare Bird
03-05-2012, 10:35
The 'SL110'/'SME 3009S2 Imp was the only Techy ive owned..I removed the feet & sat the whole deck on sorbathane pods inside a wooden box surround

Marco
03-05-2012, 10:40
Horses for courses, Chris. I much prefer the more retro looks of the SL-110 :)

The SL-1500, to me, just looks like any other generic Jap direct-drive T/T, of the period, although no doubt it sounds pretty good.

As for the platter on the 110, fair enough - I've never felt one in my hand. It just looks decidedly more substantial than the stock one, supplied with an SL-1200. The extra height would certainly eliminate the VTA issues people often have, when using certain cartridges, with the 'low' platter on the SL-1200 - that's for sure!

However, I'm sorry, I still feel that the platter on the SL-1200 is sub-standard, in comparison with what should be used on a proper high-end T/T, which is what the Techy inherently has the ability to become, when suitably modified.

I take your point about what the stock platter was originally designed for, and agree, but when you've heard what removing it and replacing it with a Mike New or Funk one does, you soon realise just how much it holds back what the Techy is capable of! One day, you may realise that fact for yourself, and that 'tarting up' the stock platter, whilst eminently worthwhile, only papers over the cracks... ;)

Marco.

RobbieGong
03-05-2012, 15:07
Horses for courses, Chris. I much prefer the more retro looks of the SL-110 :)

The SL-1500, to me, just looks like any other generic Jap direct-drive T/T, of the period, although no doubt it sounds pretty good.

As for the platter on the 110, fair enough - I've never felt one in my hand. It just looks decidedly more substantial than the stock one, supplied with an SL-1200. The extra height would certainly eliminate the VTA issues people often have, when using certain cartridges, with the 'low' platter on the SL-1200 - that's for sure!

However, I'm sorry, I still feel that the platter on the SL-1200 is sub-standard, in comparison with what should be used on a proper high-end T/T, which is what the Techy inherently has the ability to become, when suitably modified.

I take your point about what the stock platter was originally designed for, and agree, but when you've heard what removing it and replacing it with a Mike New or Funk one does, you soon realise just how much it holds back what the Techy is capable of! One day, you may realise that fact for yourself, and that 'tarting up' the stock platter, whilst eminently worthwhile, only papers over the cracks... ;)

Marco.

You know something, I've felt the same about the stock platter for a good while now, to the point where as skint as I am, after I've fitted my new psu the next and possibly last 'big' upgrade will definately be something like one of Mike New's Composite platters. Whenever I have tapped the stock platter the ringing has just really not made me feel good at all. Even with the platter in situe if you tap it on the top WITH the stock mat in place too it rings horribly and therefore this weak area of my Techie must impart even a slight amount of crap into the playback and noise floor. I'd even say it's a bigger weakness than the stock arm which I've found to be very good when married with the KAB fluid damper and a good cartridge that doesn't require a heavy arm as well as decent cabling through it. I pm'd a member a little while ago re: his veiws re: the upgrade Mike New platter he'd recently purchased:

Hi Rob,
Well the one thing that struck me when the platter was first installed was how much lower the noise floor has become. Every part of the upgrades done has resulted in a perceived increase in sound quality, but the platter is the icing on the cake for me. Stereo image is so well defined that on certain recordings it is so easy to place musicians/instruments.

Micro details are now more pronounced and you feel that instruments are so real to listen to. Human voice is more intelligible as a result of the new platter and pops and clicks are much reduced.

For example: Marianne Faithfull's Broken English has bass that can be very boomy, but with the new platter bass is much better defined that it's like listening to a completely different recording.

Perceived depth on many recordings is so clear but crappy recordings are also quite bearable, always a sign that things are right.

The rest of my system is quite modest Rob and the Technics upgrade path, for me at least, is at an end - for I honestly believe that to progress further I would be looking at over 10k for a turntable.

Hope this helps you decide Rob and thanks for listening.

Enough said, The stock platter in my experience is ok for 'normal' playback if you are serious about upgrading and taking things to that 'special' level then it has to go and mine will, somehow, one day :)

Marco
03-05-2012, 18:26
Let's just say, Rob, that you're not wrong (and neither is the person you PM'd). I'm glad that the message at long last is beginning to penetrate! ;)

Marco.