PDA

View Full Version : Prog rock... Camel

Haselsh1
06-01-2009, 14:13
As I had most of today to myself away from work I decided to have a bit of a session with the Hi-Fi and some music. The music in question was Rajaz by Camel.
This CD is mastered using HDCD technology so suits my CD player and, as far as I am aware, gives a superior to normal CD sound with an enhanced dynamic range...?
The music is very much in the 'Canterbury' style and is a loosely based 'concept' album. The concept is the sound of a camel's hooves as it plods along through the desert and the whole album is typical of Camel the band. It is full of guitar work by Andrew Latimer with the overall sound being slightly melancholy and full of dreamy melodies each seamlessly blending with the one before. There are some rather nice time signature changes to keep the drummers out there happy and there is some nice cavernous low bass to fill out the room.
Overall, I think this is a very good example of Camel's latter music and although it's not their best, it is very good.

DSJR
06-01-2009, 15:18
I lost touch with Camel after Stationary Traveller, but really loved the band and saw them live a few times in the seventies.

I heard that Andrew Latimer has been very seriously ill recently, but is now recovering. I hope he recovers enough to make good music again.

Haselsh1
06-01-2009, 15:48
I'm very envious that you saw them live.

Andrew Latimer has had to have stem cell transplants for a quite serious and rare condition. I would only ever wish such a talented man the very best of wishes.

DSJR
06-01-2009, 17:52
I saw them in Hemel Hempstead for Snow Goose, Aylesbury for Moonmadness and again at Aylesbury for Raindances (the Richard Sinclair era?). Great band and shame we lost Peter Bardens some years ago.

Spectral Morn
06-01-2009, 18:31
Love Camel. But I must say that their first self titled album is my fave of all. Just love the feel of this album. Its slightly heavier than their later stuff( in away a bit like Khan, who I wrote about last night). I also like the Human Factor , Dust and Dreams, Moon madness and Rajaz, thats mentioned in the first post. I was introduced to Camel by A friend(who I have lost touch with) JIM RYAN (his family are involved with Clannad and Enya (Nicky Ryan) is Jim's cousin. Anyway the album was their double gatefold sleeved Live album, Another Live, pure magic.

I have never seen them live and I suppose bar on DVD I wont. I too wish Andrew Latimer the best and hope he recovers so that we can hear more of his wonderful guitar playing.

Regards D S D L ---- Neil :)

PS If we keep going like this, I feel A SOCIAL GROUP coming on. PROG LIVES

Haselsh1
06-01-2009, 20:58
Although I didn't state at the opening to this thread, my alltime favourite Camel album is Moonmadness. As with most if not all prog rock, I love the chord sequences and the time signature changes. OK, so I guess an overall concept helps no end but for me it's not overly important.

I got my new vinyl version of Camembert Electric today by Gong. All I need now is a phono stage...!!!