PDA

View Full Version : Wtd: ADC 26

Rare Bird
01-05-2012, 11:25
Looking for ADC '26' Cartridge must be near mint with or without Styli..

Barry
01-05-2012, 14:13
Looking for ADC '26' Cartridge must be near mint with or without Styli..

Hi André,

I have an ADC26 with stylus in good condition you can have. I have the original packing and cartridge case, though the foam rubber sponge insert of the latter has perished.

I no longer use it, as I also have an ADC25 with a range of stylii I can call upon.

The '26' should work well in your Mayware arm.

Shall we say £15 including postage?

Regards

DSJR
01-05-2012, 14:18
I have one as well and I pray that the bad sibilance-tracking isn't "just" an arm mismatch. The Mayware (and Transcriptors Fluid Arm) is about the only thing able to handle it properly, although a fixed head "Improved" SME 3009 with light damping added may just work.

Good luck Andr'e, but keep a lookout for a ZLM or XLM III as well. The Sonus Blue-Gold on ebay might be worth saving for as well, as long as your amp can tackle the 28k peak ;)

StanleyB
01-05-2012, 14:21
I have one as well and I pray that the bad sibilance-tracking isn't "just" an arm mismatch.)
Could it be that you need some capacitance tweaking at the input of your phono preamp? If it's a MM cart, it's the first thing I check for when I have bad sibilance.

DSJR
01-05-2012, 14:28
The ADC's and Sonus models (both Peter Pritchard designs) are induced magnet and the mistracking of the 25 and 26 is probably due to hotter cutting levels of modern LP's (shouldn't bother Andr'e perhaps?), and also the stupidly high compliance and non-linearity of the stylus cantilever itself, which can probably move back and forth in its rubber compound mounting when "pulled" by heavy music. Certain measured distortions on ADC's were always bad, but as time went on, the compliance went down, the diamonds got better and the tracking and general stability improved out of all recognition (I have 25, XLM, XLM II, XLM III Improved and Phase IV). The XLM III and Phase IV are excellent cartridges, with a highish output, and that refined, sweet (but not sickly) and gentle quality that is still so endearing. not the thing to make Marco's head turn, but lovely to my ears nonetheless.

Good luck Andr'e. I hope your turntable project turns out to be a giant killer and that the ADC shows the potential classic it probably is when properly mounted in an arm it likes :)

Rare Bird
02-05-2012, 10:48
Thanks chaps & chapesses all sorted..

wombatt
15-06-2012, 02:51
I also happen to be looking for one (26 or 25) on behalf of an elderly friend of mine :)

Please PM me with any leads and many thanks in advance ;)