PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me Find a GPS Program for my New Tablet

DaveK
29-04-2012, 10:52
Hi Guys,
I have got a 10" tablet on the way which is GPS enabled but comes without software. Can anyone recommend a suitable eBay 'bargin' GPS program for it? UK is bare minimum requirement and Western Europe would be preferred. I have an old set of TomTom UK and western Europe CDs - would that be any use and if so would it be updateable?
Any help appreciated.
TIA,
Dave.
PS: if deemed to be too far off topic mods feel free to move it somewhere more appropriate - this does not include the bin ;) .

The Grand Wazoo
29-04-2012, 12:26
You were right Dave, it did need moving.
You are the first person to admit to needing a Global Positioning Device to find his way round AoS!
Good luck with the search.

Martinh
29-04-2012, 15:19
If its an android tablet, you should be able to install google maps from the google play store for free. It's got the navigator built in and its very good IMHO.

The only downsdide to using a tablet or smartphone for navigation is that it uses lots of battery power, so you need to have it plugged in.

Martin

dgolh
29-04-2012, 15:25
Sygic is nice.

Envoyé depuis mon GT-I9000 avec Tapatalk

bobbasrah
29-04-2012, 15:28
If its an android tablet, you should be able to install google maps from the google play store for free. It's got the navigator built in and its very good IMHO.

The only downsdide to using a tablet or smartphone for navigation is that it uses lots of battery power, so you need to have it plugged in.

Martin

Sorry if I got this wrong martin, but is Google Maps not dowloaded as you go? I used it here briefly until I noted the phone bill (differenet country so maybe different mobile bill screw system....) and the battery power drop off.. Srunned when I got this Android thing first how much was enabled by Vodafone unless the user deselected......:steam:
Now using Igo (best for this neck of the woods) but run it it only when I absolutely need it, as again it drains the battery on this slim smartpantsphone....:rolleyes:

Mark Grant
29-04-2012, 18:20
What make is it Dave and what operating system is it?

Google navigation is great and free but as Bob says it needs a data connection which gets expensive if out of UK and without a sim card in the tablet it wont do much.
If you loose your mobile data connection while driving it does not work very well as the maps are not stored on the device :doh:

Navigon do navigation for Android, not sure what it costs.
http://www.navigon.com/portal/uk/produkte/navigationssoftware/mobile_navigator_android.html

Mr Nad
29-04-2012, 18:34
I use a free app for my android phone - NavFree is it's name. Just log on to Play Store (the new name for Android Market) and search for it.

Download.
Install.
Select/dowload maps.
And away you go.

Used it yesterday to navigate to Maidstone, and used it recently in Switzerland/France. Brilliant piece of software, and it recalculates the route very quickly. In fact, it's better than my old 'real' satnav.

Martinh
29-04-2012, 18:46
Well you learn something new every day...

I didn't realise that it downloaded maps as you go - not much use if you haven't got a connection!

im going to try one of the others suggested now.

Cheers, Martin

Mr Nad
29-04-2012, 21:18
The one I suggested does NOT require a data connection. All you need exists on the phone/tablet. Just make sure the GPS receiver is turned on.

The tablet does have a GPS receiver, doesn't it?