PDA

View Full Version : Paint & wallpaper v Hifi

icehockeyboy
28-04-2012, 12:39
I am currently decorating, with wife chosen but me pay for Laura (overpriced) Ashley paper & paint, and am thinking that the money could have been better spent on hifi! :steam:

Have to say Larry Carlton is sounding good via Spotify whilst doing it though! :D

Tim
28-04-2012, 13:06
Don't you just love that, she gets you to pay for her chosen style of paper and paint (which I'm sure isn't to your taste?) and then gets you to apply it all as well :rolleyes:

Ho hum, Larry Carlton sounds good though and I'm so glad I'm single ;)

chelsea
28-04-2012, 13:11
Put your foot down.
Tell her its woodchip and audio note not ashley and an ipod.

Covenant
28-04-2012, 13:13
Thats what I am doing! £20 a roll paper going up in the bedroom as we speak, just waiting for the paste to soak in and another piece will go up. (Yes she chose it).

icehockeyboy
28-04-2012, 16:03
Thats what I am doing! £20 a roll paper going up in the bedroom as we speak, just waiting for the paste to soak in and another piece will go up. (Yes she chose it).

Only £20 a roll? I should be so lucky!
Hers (mine)per roll is border line TQ Black a metre! :steam:

And despite the nice L.A lady assuring me the reason why their paint is double the cost of Dulux/Crown etc is that it coats in one, is total boll*cks! :(

Mind you, if I moan to 'er indoors about that, she brings the Colefax & Fowler and Fired Earth books out!
:eek:

icehockeyboy
28-04-2012, 16:04
Put your foot down.
Tell her its woodchip and audio note not ashley and an ipod.

:lol: Like it!

Covenant
28-04-2012, 18:24
I have had enough decorating for today. Got a Full Music tube to stick in my Croft amplifier.
Yippee!

Marco
28-04-2012, 18:34
Don't you just love that, she gets you to pay for her chosen style of paper and paint (which I'm sure isn't to your taste?) and then gets you to apply it all as well :rolleyes:

Ho hum, Larry Carlton sounds good though and I'm so glad I'm single ;)

Mmm... That defo wouldn't be happening in our house!

1) The paper and paint, after much consideration, would've been chosen by both of us, to our mutual taste.

2) The decorating would've been a team effort, done by both of us.

Then she'd have been sent to the kitchen to get the dinner on!! :D

Marco.

synsei
28-04-2012, 18:36
I'm a lucky boy then, my missus is as miserly as me when it comes to just about everything except hifi. She is as mad about music and hifi as me (Jo bought me the DR5) and what's more, she loves motor racing too. I think I may have discovered the perfect woman... :D

Tim
28-04-2012, 19:34
Then she'd have been sent to the kitchen to get the dinner on!! :D.
:lol: a true democracy ;)

Rare Bird
28-04-2012, 20:29
Amazing ive spent literally thousands & thousands on this place getting it to my perfectionist standards but yet i still buy cheap vintage Hi-Fi crap :lol:

Alex_UK
28-04-2012, 21:01
All this talk of wallpaper and paint, but no mention if it's lilac...? And what about the curtains??? :lol:

Marco
28-04-2012, 21:48
He's waiting for you to come along in your lilac dress and give the place a 30-minute makeover! :D

Marco.

DaveK
28-04-2012, 21:58
Another one here decorating the bedroom with bloody expensive L Ashley papers and paints - what's with hifi lovers and Laura A? Fortunately for me my good lady does the choosing and paying (but I can influence things if I find first choice is not suitable for any reason as I'm putting it on and stuck with it for the next 15 or 20 years (hopefully :lol: ) ).
Early in our marriage we both had joint accounts, each with free access to the other, and decided on who was responsible for what household expenses - 46 years later the system is still in place :).
Cheers,
Dave.

Marco
28-04-2012, 22:02
Early in our marriage we both had joint accounts, each with free access to the other, and decided on who was responsible for what household expenses - 46 years later the system is still in place...

Cool - you guys have been married for as long as I've been on this planet! :)

Marco.

DaveK
28-04-2012, 22:16
Cool - you guys have been married for as long as I've been on this planet! :)

Marco.

I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere - can't immediately think of one myself so shall we throw it open - anybody add a funny punchline to that that does not involve me having a bike and riding to Glasgow? :lol:
Dave.

Marco
28-04-2012, 22:28
You've lost me there, old chap! :scratch:

Marco.

Rare Bird
28-04-2012, 22:38
Nice to hear about Sharing, joint accounts & all that, the amounts of selfish self centred marrages i see is beggars belief, i saw two the other day in pub (he) fighting over having to pay for the wifes drink :mental:

Jonboy
29-04-2012, 00:17
Nice to hear about Sharing, joint accounts & all that, the amounts of selfish self centred marrages i see is beggars belief, i saw two the other day in pub (he) fighting over having to pay for the wifes drink :mental:
joint accounts and always have been after 23 years together, just give myself a bit of cash for toy money :D

Darren
29-04-2012, 07:44
Joint accounts: not a hope in hell.
Decorating? Nope. That's what decorators are for.
My bollocks in her handbag? Not a chance.
Each to their own. :)

Covenant
29-04-2012, 08:22
Bollocks in her handbag, hmmm that's a new one :lol:

DaveK
29-04-2012, 08:31
I'm tempted to say, "Methinks he do'th protest too much", but I won't ;).

icehockeyboy
29-04-2012, 08:45
Bollocks in her handbag, hmmm that's a new one :lol:

So she can have a crafty play I reckon! :lol:

As for the colour, no, not lilac! We had originally decided to do just one feature wall in Cotton Wood White, that has a vine effect that creates a nice effect, a bit like looking through a forest in the mist, but then she decided that as the conservatory made the room a bit dark, the opposite wall would be done too, as it reflects the light back into the room.

I leave these things to her as she has a degree in interior design, and last time I decorated, I decided it would be a great idea to add sand to the paint to create an effect, it looked good until redecorating time, no paper would adhere to it, not even lining paper, and even a pro sander would not get it off the bloody walls!

Many, many many hours later, with the aid of a steamer, it is now just about all removed, doing the last bit today, and applying a cheap Homebase emulsion at £5 for 100 gallons as an undercoat.

Joint bank account? Do you want me to declare bankruptcy? :ner:

northwest
29-04-2012, 10:47
My problem is, after six hard years of real graft, I have finished a total rebuild to the house. Both inside and out. I have sat down to enjoy the Hi-Fi and the house in general and just yesterday, walking through the very first room we refurbished, she said "it's time to redecorate this room don't you think?"
So far, I have escaped with a mumbled unintelligable response. How long do you think I can get away with this? Today I gave up some beer tokens and this seems to have worked as she departed the family abode and headed to "the shops". How long do you think this ploy will work for?

Covenant
29-04-2012, 10:54
Not long and that's a fact. Just remember she thinks of the house like a bridge-once you finish one end you start again at the beginning. She thinks you like doing it!

Rare Bird
29-04-2012, 11:18
Joint accounts: not a hope in hell.
Decorating? Nope. That's what decorators are for.
My bollocks in her handbag? Not a chance.
Each to their own. :)

Why? :scratch:

northwest
29-04-2012, 11:50

Probably had a "bad experience" in the past. It happens.
I personally don't care, I gave my first wife the house, without her asking, as I thought that was the right thing to do. And before you ask, it wasn't a guilt thing either as I had done nothing to be guilty about, it was her decision to seperate as we had just drifted apart. Worked out okay for me in the end though.
YMMV.

synsei
29-04-2012, 12:13
When my first marriage broke down I was determined that we were both going to come out of the resulting mess intact. It worked, maybe a little too well. My ex-wife and I have remained friends and what's more my current partner and my ex-wife get on like a house on fire. My best mate might have the right idea though, he often says of their friendship: "Dave, be afraid. Be very afraid" :lol:

northwest
29-04-2012, 13:33
When my first marriage broke down I was determined that we were both going to come out of the resulting mess intact. It worked, maybe a little too well. My ex-wife and I have remained friends and what's more my current partner and my ex-wife get on like a house on fire. My best mate might have the right idea though, he often says of their friendship: "Dave, be afraid. Be very afraid" :lol:

I have a very close friend who'se marriage didn't work out with his first wife so he married her (identical) twin sister:stalks:
I sometimes get them mixed up when I go to visit, it can be embarassing.
I am with you on the 'stay friends' thing though. Far less acrimonious.

icehockeyboy
29-04-2012, 18:10
I have a very close friend who'se marriage didn't work out with his first wife so he married her (identical) twin sister:stalks:
I sometimes get them mixed up when I go to visit, it can be embarassing.
I am with you on the 'stay friends' thing though. Far less acrimonious.

I had a mate who did that too!

Bugger me though she persuaded me to go to Ikea which is on the same retail park as Laura Ashley here, and not only did I spend enough in there to buy a 2m pair of TQ Blacks, but another metre with what I spent in L.A! :steam:

Darren
05-05-2012, 20:50

Why what Andre?

Rare Bird
05-05-2012, 22:40
Why What?